Hi Guys,

I was wondering if I could get some help with the following problem we are
having on our company.

Here is the scenario; Our Windows NT 4.0 SP4a server running Exchange 5.5
SP4 crashed (Server 1) due to the exchange database reaching its 16 Gig's
max limit. I went ahead and moved some mailboxes' e-mails to a few .pst
files in order to make some space. This worked ok. Then, I decided to build
another exchange server (Server 2) to moved some mailboxes and alleviate the
load. Once the server was ready and configured as part of the current
exchange site, I went ahead and moved half of the mailboxes over. Two days
later everything was ok until our second exchange server (server 2) crashed
as well due to hardware failure. At this point, I have the older exchange
server working but, since I have moved half of the mailboxes I ended up with
two separate exchange databases including two priv.edb and pub.edb files. In
order to recover and have my users working I went ahead and created the
missing mail boxes on the old server (Server 1). Now, I need to merge these
two databases in order to recover all e-mails on either one of our two
servers. To clarified, our users are currently working and receiving e-mails
but, they need the old e-mails restored.....! The second server is running
Exchange5.5 Ent and has enough storage space for now. I could have all
mailboxes running on that server after all e-mails are recovered.

I think, I have explained our situation pretty good. Any help or advice
would be greatly appreciated...!

Thanks in advance,

Al.

0
amoncada (6)

It doen't work that way.  You have to recover a backup of your failed server
on an offline recovery server.      You would then exmerge or export the
mailbox data off your recovery server, and import that data back into the
new accounts you created.

This is sometimes referred to as a dial tone restore.

--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

"Alvaro Moncada" <amoncada@bmicos.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>

> I was wondering if I could get some help with the following problem we are
> having on our company.
>

> Here is the scenario; Our Windows NT 4.0 SP4a server running Exchange 5.5
> SP4 crashed (Server 1) due to the exchange database reaching its 16 Gig's
> max limit. I went ahead and moved some mailboxes' e-mails to a few .pst
> files in order to make some space. This worked ok. Then, I decided to
build
> another exchange server (Server 2) to moved some mailboxes and alleviate
the
> load. Once the server was ready and configured as part of the current
> exchange site, I went ahead and moved half of the mailboxes over. Two days
> later everything was ok until our second exchange server (server 2)
crashed
> as well due to hardware failure. At this point, I have the older exchange
> server working but, since I have moved half of the mailboxes I ended up
with
> two separate exchange databases including two priv.edb and pub.edb files.
In
> order to recover and have my users working I went ahead and created the
> missing mail boxes on the old server (Server 1). Now, I need to merge
these
> two databases in order to recover all e-mails on either one of our two
> servers. To clarified, our users are currently working and receiving
e-mails
> but, they need the old e-mails restored.....! The second server is running
> Exchange5.5 Ent and has enough storage space for now. I could have all
> mailboxes running on that server after all e-mails are recovered.
>

> I think, I have explained our situation pretty good. Any help or advice
> would be greatly appreciated...!
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Al.

0
nospam6185 (535)
10/8/2004 12:11:12 AM
Thank you Michael,

I will give that I try tonight...! I'm still in the office so, I have plenty
of time...!

Thank you for your help...!

Al.
"Michael A. Abbaticchio" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
> It doen't work that way.  You have to recover a backup of your failed
server
> on an offline recovery server.      You would then exmerge or export the
> mailbox data off your recovery server, and import that data back into the
> new accounts you created.
>
> This is sometimes referred to as a dial tone restore.
>
> --
>
> regards,
> Michael Abbaticchio
> MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server
> http://mvps.org/exchange
>

> "Alvaro Moncada" <amoncada@bmicos.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> >

> > I was wondering if I could get some help with the following problem we
are
> > having on our company.
> >

> > Here is the scenario; Our Windows NT 4.0 SP4a server running Exchange
5.5
> > SP4 crashed (Server 1) due to the exchange database reaching its 16
Gig's
> > max limit. I went ahead and moved some mailboxes' e-mails to a few .pst
> > files in order to make some space. This worked ok. Then, I decided to
> build
> > another exchange server (Server 2) to moved some mailboxes and alleviate
> the
> > load. Once the server was ready and configured as part of the current
> > exchange site, I went ahead and moved half of the mailboxes over. Two
days
> > later everything was ok until our second exchange server (server 2)
> crashed
> > as well due to hardware failure. At this point, I have the older
exchange
> > server working but, since I have moved half of the mailboxes I ended up
> with
> > two separate exchange databases including two priv.edb and pub.edb
files.
> In
> > order to recover and have my users working I went ahead and created the
> > missing mail boxes on the old server (Server 1). Now, I need to merge
> these
> > two databases in order to recover all e-mails on either one of our two
> > servers. To clarified, our users are currently working and receiving
> e-mails
> > but, they need the old e-mails restored.....! The second server is
running
> > Exchange5.5 Ent and has enough storage space for now. I could have all
> > mailboxes running on that server after all e-mails are recovered.
> >

> > I think, I have explained our situation pretty good. Any help or advice
> > would be greatly appreciated...!
> >

> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> > Al.

0
amoncada (6)
10/8/2004 12:28:48 AM
No prob.  You only need to recover the information store on your recovery
server.  Don't bother with the directory.  Email me offline if you need a
copy of the 5.5 dr white paper.

--

> [...]
> > with
> > > two separate exchange databases including two priv.edb and pub.edb
> files.
> > In
> > > order to recover and have my users working I went ahead and created
the
> > > missing mail boxes on the old server (Server 1). Now, I need to merge
> > these
> > > two databases in order to recover all e-mails on either one of our two
> > > servers. To clarified, our users are currently working and receiving
> > e-mails
> > > but, they need the old e-mails restored.....! The second server is
> running
> > > Exchange5.5 Ent and has enough storage space for now. I could have all
> > > mailboxes running on that server after all e-mails are recovered.
> > >

> > > I think, I have explained our situation pretty good. Any help or

0
nospam6185 (535)
10/8/2004 12:38:45 AM
Thanks Michael,

To be honest with you, I've never done this before..!So, I'm a hesitating a
bit...! If you can send me the link for the white paper it would be
great...!

Thanks again,

> No prob.  You only need to recover the information store on your recovery
> server.  Don't bother with the directory.  Email me offline if you need a
> copy of the 5.5 dr white paper.
>

> --
>
> regards,
> Michael Abbaticchio
> MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server
> http://mvps.org/exchange
>

> "Alvaro Moncada" <amoncada@bmicos.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you Michael,
> >
> > I will give that I try tonight...! I'm still in the office so, I have
> plenty
> > of time...!
> >
> > Thank you for your help...!
> >
> > Al.
> > "Michael A. Abbaticchio" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
> > > It doen't work that way.  You have to recover a backup of your failed
> > server
> > > on an offline recovery server.      You would then exmerge or export
the
> > > mailbox data off your recovery server, and import that data back into
> the
> > > new accounts you created.
> > >
> > > This is sometimes referred to as a dial tone restore.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > Michael Abbaticchio
> > > MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server
> > > http://mvps.org/exchange
> > >

> > > "Alvaro Moncada" <amoncada@bmicos.com> wrote in message

> > are

Exchange
> > 5.5
> > Gig's
> .pst
> > > build
> alleviate
> > > the
Two
> > days
> > > crashed
> > exchange
> up
> > > with
> > files.
> > > In
> the
> > > these
> > > e-mails
> > running

> advice

0
amoncada (6)
10/8/2004 1:38:47 AM
http://exchange.mvps.org/utils/EDisasterRecover.doc

--

http://exchange.mvps.org

> Thanks Michael,
>
> To be honest with you, I've never done this before..!So, I'm a hesitating
> bit...! If you can send me the link for the white paper it would be
> great...!
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Al.
> "Michael A. Abbaticchio" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
>> No prob.  You only need to recover the information store on your recovery
>> server.  Don't bother with the directory.  Email me offline if you need a
>> copy of the 5.5 dr white paper.
>>

>> --
>>
>> regards,
>> Michael Abbaticchio
>> MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server
>> http://mvps.org/exchange
>>

>> "Alvaro Moncada" <amoncada@bmicos.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you Michael,
>> >
>> > I will give that I try tonight...! I'm still in the office so, I have
>> plenty
>> > of time...!
>> >
>> > Thank you for your help...!
>> >
>> > Al.
>> > "Michael A. Abbaticchio" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
>> > server
> the
>> the

> we
>> > are

> Exchange
>> > 5.5
>> > Gig's
>> .pst
>> alleviate
> current
> Two
>> > days
>> > exchange
>> up
>> > files.
>> the
> merge
> two
>> > running
> all

>> advice

0
nospam6185 (535)
10/8/2004 1:50:32 AM
Thanks Michael.....!

Al.

"Michael Abbaticchio[MVP]" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
> http://exchange.mvps.org/utils/EDisasterRecover.doc
>
> --
>
> regards,
> Michael Abbaticchio
> MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server
> http://exchange.mvps.org
>

> "Alvaro Moncada" <amoncada@bmicos.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Michael,
> >
> > To be honest with you, I've never done this before..!So, I'm a
hesitating
> > bit...! If you can send me the link for the white paper it would be
> > great...!
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Al.
> > "Michael A. Abbaticchio" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
> >> No prob.  You only need to recover the information store on your
recovery
> >> server.  Don't bother with the directory.  Email me offline if you need
> >> copy of the 5.5 dr white paper.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> regards,
> >> Michael Abbaticchio
> >> MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server
> >> http://mvps.org/exchange
> >>

> >> "Alvaro Moncada" <amoncada@bmicos.com> wrote in message

> >> plenty

> > the
> >> the

> > we

> > Exchange
> >> .pst
> >> alleviate
> > current
> > Two
> >> up
> >> the
> > merge
> > two
> > all

> >> advice

0
amoncada (6)

Money 2005-help with the basics
I had an old Money program (not sure what version) and expected this new one to be similar. I chose to set it up with the online banking as I have been using my banks online bill pay and manually entering these transactions. After I set up Money 2005 it seems to have my previously cleared and online transactions but I can't figure out how to just enter a check that I have written manually into the check register. I would appreciate any help at all. Thank you. Carol In microsoft.public.money, Carol wrote: >I had an old Money program (not sure what version) and >expected t...

shade one cell that will shade multiple cells
I want to shade one cell that would go into other cell by it's self Not easy to do. You will require custom VBA code to do that. Are you Ok with macros? -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Walt" wrote: > I want to shade one cell that would go into other cell by it's self > ...

SMTP service stopping repeatedly please help
We are running Exchange 2003 on windows 2003 and the SMTP service has all of a sudden started stopping itself, you can restart it and it just stops again. We tried installing sp1 but did not help. Any help would be appreciated Sincerley Jim Kiddoo Event logs indicate anything amiss? Jim Kiddoo wrote: > We are running Exchange 2003 on windows 2003 and the SMTP service has > all of a sudden started stopping itself, you can restart it and it > just stops again. > We tried installing sp1 but did not help. > Any help would be appreciated > Sincerley > Jim Kiddoo ...

Bulk email limit
Hi Can someone please tell me whether there is a bulk email limit for sending a mass mail-out? I've just sent a Direct Email to approx. 10,000 contacts and although CRM looked like it was doing something for around an hour, it doesn't appear to have been sent (I was one of the contacts). Help!!! Sue ...

Help please with simple chart
I used to Excel, but am a newbie with charts. Am using Excel version 5.0a In connection with a Process, I am recording liquid levels in mls at various times during the day. As a spreadsheet sample, column A, day. column b, time. column c quantity in mls. a1 Day b1 Time c1 mls a2 Mon b2 8:00 c2 225 b3 10:30 c3 100 b4 11:45 c4 100 b5 13:30 c5 120 b6 16:30 c6 200 a7 Tues etc etc Using Chart Wizard I have managed to create the bar chart, but I am stumped on how to get it to show the results. On the vertical left hand side I want mls in vertical bars, a...

Exchange Cluster

DPM 2007 SP1 , Server 2008 R2 , Hyper-V
When creating a protection group, I select my hyper-v server but can only see the dpmdb , no guests My DPM is installed on the hyper-V server What am I doing wrong ? Before making the hyper-v server a dpm server, i could see the vm's from my other DPM 2007 SP1 server By default, you can only backup DPMDB from the DPM server. This is by design. Here is the info: http://santhoshsivarajan.blogspot.com/2009/10/local-data-protection-on-dpm-server.html You can enable the local data protection using the following cmdlet: Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerName servername -A...

Fixed Asset problems, please help
On a depreciation report, there are some funny things showing up on the report. Several items had the wrong account set for it, and before depreciation was run, the account was changed to the right account. However, when the post to GL is run for the periods, the postings are wrong. There is a FADEP source transaction to the wrong account, plus there are also two postings to the correct a count, they are FADEP-R sources to the correct account, one positive and one negative that offset each other. In addition to this, the depreciation has started to be split up during the month, For example...

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

Exchange / POP3

Can anyone help me to print?
Ok, granted I'm a computer moron, but this is ridiculous! I've created and saved several Microsoft Publisher files and went to create a new one today, and cannot get the darn thing to print! I've gone through every step of the Publisher Troubleshoot process and can't get my newly created flyer to print! I've tried removing the graphic, cleaning out hard drive space, printing another file (just fine). Can't think of anything else to do to get my new file to print, after spending all this time creating it! Of course I have no current software tech support ...

virus attacks against Exchange

Exchange 2003 #5

Need to add apostrophe to beginning of cell
How can I shut off date autoformatting? I have a cell that I have to enter the numbers "02-03" (no quotes), but Excel keeps turning it into a date. How can I get around this? Setting AutoFormatting to None or setting the cell type to General does nothing. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks, Aaron Aaron Your subject says it all. Add the apostrophe. Alternate.....pre-format the cell(s) to Text before entering your data. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:42:51 -0700, Aaron <agchandler@comcast.not> wrote: >How can I shut off date autoformatting? I have a cell...

Microsoft Exchange #3

Shift Roster on Excel, pls help
Who can help me to auto generate roster on excel, it is very complicate...pls help... 1) bill date (5, 7, 11, 14, 17, 21, 25 and end of month) need to 6 day 3 night, but if Saturday, Sunday or Public Holiday need to 2 day 2 night 2) non bill date only need to 6 day 2 night staff 3) non bill date if Saturday, Sunday or Public Holiday need to 2 day and 1 night 4) if on Friday, need to 5 day 3 night 5) on shift staff, each staff need to have 1 double off on roster and one Saturday off, two Sun off another 2 off on weekend, they cannot continuous more then 5 days work and cannot last ...

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

help with RAND
I have the following formula: =RAND()*(100-50)+50 How can I force it to return a whole number? I'm creating worksheets for kids and I'm getting: 85+31=115 I have the cell attributes set to no decimals but I'm guessing the SUM formula is still grabbing the full random numbers and rounding up or down. While I'm on the subject, are there worksheets already created and available for download somewhere. I'm teaching grandkids math skills. thanks! "shank" <shank@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:ufAFM#G1DHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I have the fo...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

recover mails from .bak file in ms outlook
Dear All I had some problem with MS Outlook (2003). I found that there was a problem with .PST file I tried to repair it with SCANPST.EXE. It repaired my OUTLOOK.PST file but many mails are missing. I had taken bakup of .PST file into .BAK file. Please guide me how can in recover my mails from .BAK file Thanks Vimal -- vimalrupera If you have a backup copy of your pst and you recover it, then you may well find the problem is also recovered. What format is your pst file? - If your pst is open in Outlook, select properties of the personal folders, Advanced, what is sh...

SQL Server 2008
Hi: I realize that these newsgroups are mostly for technical discussions. So, if it's more appropriate to point me to another site for answers to the questions that I'm about to ask, then please do so. I just learned that there is going to be a SQL Server 2008. I am a certified DBA (MCITP) for SQL Server 2005. Will there be an exam upgrade path from 2005 to 2008? Does anyone out there have any certification information for 2008, even though 2008 is not out yet? Will the SQL Server 2005 MCITP certification expire anytime soon? More importantly, will there be compatibility ...