Exchange / POP3

In short:

How does one go about having exchange POP email for users whom have 3rd
party POP 3 server accounts?

Expanded Reason:

I have an exchange server setup here and I would like to get email to my
users from a 3rd party POP3 account. I would normally just change MX records
and point to my exchange server and have the email go right to the exchange
server, but this ISP will not allow me to receive inbound SMTP.

So as it stands; I can send email from my exchange server using my internet
connection with out any issues, it's the receiving part that has me hung up,
and if I could only have exchange POP the email for individual accounts it
would be great.

Thanks for the info.

0
backup (36)

You need a 3rd party product to do this for Exchange 2000/2003.  Small
Business Server has a tool built-in that will do this.

Check out this page for information on POP3 connectors for Exchange:
http://www.slipstick.com/exs/popconnect.htm   These will reach out to a
user's ISP mailbox and POP their mail down in to their Exchange mailbox.

--
Jim McBee
Blog:     http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

"Mr. Backup" <backup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In short:
>
> How does one go about having exchange POP email for users whom have 3rd
> party POP 3 server accounts?
>

> Expanded Reason:
>
> I have an exchange server setup here and I would like to get email to my
> users from a 3rd party POP3 account. I would normally just change MX
> records and point to my exchange server and have the email go right to the
> exchange server, but this ISP will not allow me to receive inbound SMTP.
>

> So as it stands; I can send email from my exchange server using my
> internet connection with out any issues, it's the receiving part that has
> me hung up, and if I could only have exchange POP the email for individual
> accounts it would be great.
>

> Thanks for the info.

0
jmcbee9404 (625)
6/10/2005 8:24:50 PM
Mr. Backup wrote:
> In short:
>
> How does one go about having exchange POP email for users whom have 3rd
> party POP 3 server accounts?

We usually just use EFS - comes in a free version and paid for version.
Free version doesnt run as a service though. If you collect from a catch
all mail box EFS collects them and passes them to exchange, which just
sees it like an smtp feed.

http://www.chimera.co.nz/
0
me6506 (1)
6/10/2005 8:42:22 PM
thank you so much.
I looked around and have found GFI MailEssentials
I will try the trial on my bench and if its what i need i will buy it.

Thank you again.

"Jim McBee (MVP)" <jmcbee@cta.spambegone.net> wrote in message
> You need a 3rd party product to do this for Exchange 2000/2003.  Small
> Business Server has a tool built-in that will do this.
>
> Check out this page for information on POP3 connectors for Exchange:
> http://www.slipstick.com/exs/popconnect.htm   These will reach out to a
> user's ISP mailbox and POP their mail down in to their Exchange mailbox.
>

> --
> Jim McBee
> Blog:     http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
> Stuff:    http://geekbargains.blogspot.com
> Web:    http://www.somorita.com
>

> "Mr. Backup" <backup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> In short:
>>
>> How does one go about having exchange POP email for users whom have 3rd
>> party POP 3 server accounts?
>>

>> Expanded Reason:
>>
>> I have an exchange server setup here and I would like to get email to my
>> users from a 3rd party POP3 account. I would normally just change MX
>> records and point to my exchange server and have the email go right to
>> the exchange server, but this ISP will not allow me to receive inbound
>> SMTP.
>>

>> So as it stands; I can send email from my exchange server using my
>> internet connection with out any issues, it's the receiving part that has
>> me hung up, and if I could only have exchange POP the email for
>> individual accounts it would be great.
>>

>> Thanks for the info.

0
backup (36)
6/10/2005 8:46:03 PM

In news:eBqj2IfbFHA.2996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Mr. Backup <backup@yahoo.com> typed:
> In short:
>
> How does one go about having exchange POP email for users whom have
> 3rd party POP 3 server accounts?
>

> Expanded Reason:
>
> I have an exchange server setup here and I would like to get email to
> my users from a 3rd party POP3 account. I would normally just change
> MX records and point to my exchange server and have the email go
> right to the exchange server, but this ISP will not allow me to
> receive inbound SMTP.

Meaning, they're blocking inbound port 25? If so, see Mail Reflector from
www.no-ip.com or MailHop Inbound from www.dyndns.org.
I'd say this would be better than using a POP connector.

> So as it stands; I can send email from my exchange server using my
> internet connection with out any issues, it's the receiving part that
> has me hung up, and if I could only have exchange POP the email for
> individual accounts it would be great.
>

> Thanks for the info.

0
lanwench (7567)

Problems and more problems with exchange 2003 sbs
Today I reboot the our server, this is the first occasion after install a patch (that the windows has downloaded automatically) before few days. In 1 hour i received a message that the C: drive is full (yesterday I has 7GB free space) . surprised and checking the problem, I receive in my workstation a message that the outlook is not conected to the server. I seen that the mdadata folder has same hundreds of logs of 5MB size!!! After I move a lot of them to another location the exchange fill the free space with new logs...I change the configuration to make a circular logs and i moved a few hu...

SMTP and POP3 questions and hopefully answers
I have just completed setting up a local brokerage office that has a noational office. We are using the POP3 connector in SBS 2003. Well here's the issue, I can send and receive most emails, except for some going directly to the home office or to another user. The pop3 address is pop.rjf.com and the SMTP is intramta.rjf.com where and how can I get this setup so where when I send out an email outside of my office, but to another rjf.com office...Thanks so much jbjiii@hotmail.com -- Joe J. Birmingham ...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

MS Exchange Settins.FAV error
Please help... I can't use outlook. Every time I try to access outlook I get this error "Outlook could not save the updated folder shortcut information. Check to make sure there is sufficient disk space and that the file "MS Exchange Settings.FAV" is not marked read-only. All changes made during this session will be lost. I have looked every where I can think and I am lost. Try renaming that .FAV file to .OLD while Outlook is closed and see if it's rebuilt when Outlook reopens. .FAV files hold the Outlook Bar shortcuts, and it's possible the file has beco...

Exchange to Exchange
Is there a way to configure Exchange to receive mail from another Exchange in 2 different domains? We just seperated 2 companies that use to share a Exchange. The main reason for the pull down from the old Exch. box is that our MX record is still pointing there. While we have accounts in our new domain for our users (15 users) the mail will still go to the old domain. We would like for our user to start using the new domain but they would lose they're email access. Can the Exchange to Exchange work or is it even possible? If there's another way, please advise. -Darrien ...

Moving Exchange 5.5 to new Exchange 5.5 Server
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C44E2A.1247E0F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable On my current 5.5 server, I am running Windows 2000 SP2, with Exchange = 5.5 SP4. On the new server, I would like to use Windows 2000 SP4 and = Exchange 5.5 SP4 obviously. My question is this: Will the differences = in Windows Service Packs, affect anything with Exchange 5.5 SP4. I am = planning on implementing the New 5.5 server into the same Site and Org, = and using the Move Mailbox feature, to mo...

Exchange 5.5 disasster !
Hi, The Information Store service in Microsoft Exchange Server may not start and the Server Specific Error 4294966746 occurs. Events 1120 and 5000 are recorded in the Event Log with MSExchangeIS as the source. We have also use Tools like - eseutil /mh ...priv.edb - eseutil /p and /r ispriv the Tool recover the Database in consistent state but we can't start IS ? - isinteg -patch ...... - Restore online Backup/offline Backup ever time the get the same error. Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 185577 do also not resolve the Problem. PS: With 3rd Party Tool like Ontrack we can open pr...

Reconnecting to exchange server
I have users that are connected via VPN tunnel, running Outlook 2003 in cached mode, multiple times during the day a window will appear stating that it is reconnecting to the exchange server. The option is set to download headers when a slow connection has been detected. It does not state that it has been detected only that it is trying to reconnect. I am wanting to make sure that the clients are connected and if are disconnected that is shows they are disconnected. Also, how to get rid of the popup window? Any help is greatly appreciated. ...

MAPI failure with Outlook\Exchange 2003 (MAPI_E_NOT_ME)
Please note the two below Outlook logs. The first indicates proper MAPI operation and the second shows the problem we are having at one specific account. Hoping that someone can offer advice about alleviating failure. Is it possible for Exchange side to be setup to deny MAPI requests? 2006.02.10 09:02:44 <<<< Logging Started (level is LTF_TRACE) >>>> 2006.02.10 09:02:44 WPA Fax Administrator: Synch operation started (flags = 00000001) 2006.02.10 09:02:44 WPA Fax Administrator: UploadItems: 1 messages to send 2006.02.10 09:02:44 EXECUTING Put MAPI TASK 2006.02.10 09:02:...

Exchange 5.5 Std over the 16 GB limit on IS
I have an exchange (std) 5.5 sp4 machine the is over the 16 GB limit on the priv.edb. I've done an offline defrag but that failed to reduce the .edb file. I tried an offline defrag using a different temp folder and replacing the edb file but again, no freed up space. Earlier today I had been able to start the IS, get into an outlook client & move e-mails to a local .pst file but now the IS starts & stops right away. (I've also turned off smtp to prevent mail delivery & NAV from accessing the client). When I was able to move files to a .pst file I went into Excah...

Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2000 #2
Hello, We are experiencing difficulties with Cached mode in Outlook 2003. When I add a new user to Active Directory the email address assigned to that user does not appear in our global address list. Some users use cache mode and they cannot see the changes until approx the next day. The ones who dont use it see the changes right away. Is there a way to refresh the cache so that the users who are utilizing this feature are up to date ASAP. Any help would be appreciated. You can manually download the offline address book by Tools-> Send/Receive -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] ...

import external entities to Exchange 5.5
Is there a tool or script to allow me to import external entities into Exchagne 5.5? On an Exchange 2000 system I can use csvde to import contact objects. I am looking for some similar method to import to Exchange 5.5. I want to import a list of 700 names and email addresses that are foreign to the Exchange 5.5 system. I want to be able to hide them all from the GAL initially. I would also like to be able to use these external contacts as forwarders for certain internal users. Thanks, Josh ...

Exchange does not respond
Dear all I'm getting this error on my first Exchange 2003 server about the second Exchange server: EVENT # 8017 EVENT LOG Application EVENT TYPE Error SOURCE MSExchangeDSExp EVENT ID 181 COMPUTERNAME OXMAIL1 TIME 17/05/2005 15:39:57 MESSAGE The Microsoft Exchange Server computer does not respond. NameOfOtherExchangeServer Have not made any changes - this is now happening about every 10 minutes. The server is up and I can telnet to it on 25. Any ideas? ...

First Exchange Client and Exchange Server 2003
I have a customer that is running Exchange 5.5 on an NT 4.0 box and they have several stores that are running the very first Exchange Client, not outlook but Exchange Client. Does anyone know if this will work with Exchange Server 2003? I know several functions of E2K3 server will not work with the client such as cached mode and some filtering options. What I would like to know if it will work at all. Thanks!! Yes, you can connect to a mailbox using the old Exchange Client. I would advise, however, you/they don't open any of those mailboxes with a higher version Outlook client and...

Outlook accessing POP3 and Exchange
I have a site that needs the collaborative and groupware functions of Exchange but they don't have control of the e-mail domain. Currently, all users of this division have Outlook2003 accessing a POP3 mail server from their ISP and an Exchange server for everything else internally. The Outlook configuration is set to use the ISP by default for all company e-mail, but every now and then, Outlook will attempt to send an e-mail through the Exchange server. This causes NDR's because Exchange is not setup with the live domain e-mail address of the company (nor can it be - because t...

No NDR Generated
Greetings! For some reason, when email is sent to an invalid recipient from outside of my network, no NDR is generated. If the email is sent from an internal client, then the NDR is generated. Any ideas? My platform is: Exchange 5.5 SP4 Windows 2000 Any help is appreciated. Thank you, Mike Scott ...

Exchange Restore #6
Can anyone please help me with an exchange 5.5 SP 4 restore? I need to restore a mailbox and have being trying to restore just the Information Store with Veritas 9.0, but keep getting "JET_err.." error messages when trying to run isinteg -patch. I have setup a server as near as possible to the email server (i.e. OS, Regional Settings, disk size and name). Exchange is setup the same on both servers as well. Does anyone know how to consistently restore an Information Store? Ste are you restoring from an "offline" backup? you only have to run isinteg -patch when re...

How to restore contacts after upgrade from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2007
Hi We have upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2007. Some of our users have Contacts set up in the old Exchange. Apparently they were not moved into new Exchange. We have used PST's to successfully restore old mail. But contacts and calendars is another thing. I searched this group with the string "how to restore contacts in Exchange 2007" but didn't get any hits. Please help. Thanks On Feb 16, 9:56 am, "murthy_gandik...@yahoo.com" <soup_or_po...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi > We have upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2007. Some of our users > h...

exchange over WEB
i can view my exchange over the web with no problem NOW. But how do I get to view other peoples calendars or make changes to it? Thanks. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:04:46 -0500, "Raul Rego" <rrego@njpies.org> wrote: >i can view my exchange over the web with no problem NOW. But how do I get >to view other peoples calendars or make changes to it? > >Thanks. > Assuming you have rights to the other persons folders you can access them using this convention: https://server.domain.com/exchange/MAILBOX/FOLDER Where MAILBOX is the alias for the other user Where FOL...

MS Exchange Outlook sending error
hi, please help to analyze the root cause about outlook sending problem: which one system is window2000 prof. and mail receiving is no problem but fail in send mail out, the information is can not locate the mail address,and need you choose Yes or No ..., thanks to your instruction for this puzzle solution. ...

Exchange to Exchange #2
I am having problems sending mail from my exchange server to other exchange servers. I will sometimes get a message saying that the mail delivery has been delayed but not always. The message sits in the que for awhlile and nothing happens. In the Que I have: Name: SmallBusiness SMTP connector - problemdomain.com (SMTP Connector) Protocol: SMTP Source: Default SMTP Virtual Server State: Active Number of messages: 0 Total message size (kb): 0 Time oldest messagesubmitted: (blank) Time next connection retry: (blank) System: No About an hour later it shows information in the 2 blank boxes and...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Exchange E-mail Router Support and Access Rights
The IG documentation states that Windows Server 2003 is a supported operating system. Is Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 supported. It also states Microsoft Exchnage Server 2003 must be installed. Is Exchange 2003 service pack 2 supported? What privledges does an administer need to have to be able to rollout the inbox rules? I cannot find that informaiton anywhere int eh IG. What access do they have to have in Exchange, AD, on teh Exchaneg boxes? Thanks Hoss Pretty sure the admin needs to be an Exchange Admin to roll-out the rules. I have not heard anything definate on E...

Old exchange server
I took over for someone after they migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. When you look at the Exchange System Manager, Administrative Groups, Servers, There are 2 servers shown (new server and old), but only one is working and is the correct one.. When you look down at the Routing Groups, Connectores, there's another SMTP connector which points to the old server. How can I remove the old server from this folders. I keep getting and RPC error which points to the old server which no longers exists. And I don't get the option of deleting the old server. Any ideas? Thanks JC ...

Exchange 2003 OWA and PDF's
Is there a way to allow PDF's to be opened through an OWA email instead of having to be saved to a different location to then be opened? Attachments are allowed and PDF's are not being filtered. PDF is added to MIME Content Types as an application in the System Manager. Thank you, Cheryl OWA is a part of Exchange and should probably be posted to an Exchange group. Having said that, using Ex 5.5, I can open .pdfs from email accessed via OWA using IE6. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent ...