exchange or windows forestprep

Hi

I currently have exchange 2000 in a 2000 AD environment, I am about to
upgrade our environment to windows 2003 and exchange 2003 by putting in a
new FE server.

I was wondering should I run Exchange 2003 forestprep and domainprep 1st or
Windows 2003 forestprep and domainprep.

Does it actually matter?

TIA

Joe

0
JCarew (11)

Sorry Nuevo

My fault, my new FE server isn't going to be a 2003 DC as well. I am going
to install e2k3 (FE) on a new 2003 member server, then a week or 2 later
deploy my 1st w2k DC.  Do I still need to run windows 2003 forestprep and
domainprep 1st, then exchange 2003forestprep and domainprep.

Thanks

Joe

"Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes it matters. You should run Windows forestprep and domainprep and
> Exchange forestprep and domainprep.
>
> Nue
> "Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I currently have exchange 2000 in a 2000 AD environment, I am about to
>> upgrade our environment to windows 2003 and exchange 2003 by putting in a
>> new FE server.
>>
>> I was wondering should I run Exchange 2003 forestprep and domainprep 1st
>> or Windows 2003 forestprep and domainprep.
>>
>> Does it actually matter?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Joe

0
JCarew (11)
2/20/2006 1:54:27 PM
You need to be *very* careful about the order here.

IF you run Windows 2003 adprep first, you will end up with mangled
attributes.  Period.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314649

The solutions are clearly indicated in the KB article with one exception.
IF you run Exchange 2003 Forestpre FIRST, you will not have to deal with the
mangled attributes and will not have to run the inetorgpersonfix.  For some
reason, that hasn't been added to the KB article even though I've asked a
few times.

My recommendation would be to run them in this order.

1.  Run Exchange 2003 Forestprep.
2.  Run Windows 2003 adprep /forestprep and /domainprep.

OR

1.  Run inetorgpersonfix from KB article referenced above.
2.  Run windows 2003 adprep /forestprep and /domainprep
3.  Run Exchange 2003 forestprep when you are ready to install Exchange.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

> Sorry Nuevo
>
> My fault, my new FE server isn't going to be a 2003 DC as well. I am going
> to install e2k3 (FE) on a new 2003 member server, then a week or 2 later
> deploy my 1st w2k DC.  Do I still need to run windows 2003 forestprep and
> domainprep 1st, then exchange 2003forestprep and domainprep.
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe
>
> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yes it matters. You should run Windows forestprep and domainprep and
>> Exchange forestprep and domainprep.
>>
>> Nue
>> "Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I currently have exchange 2000 in a 2000 AD environment, I am about to
>>> upgrade our environment to windows 2003 and exchange 2003 by putting in
>>> a new FE server.
>>>
>>> I was wondering should I run Exchange 2003 forestprep and domainprep 1st
>>> or Windows 2003 forestprep and domainprep.
>>>
>>> Does it actually matter?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Joe

0
Ben
2/20/2006 2:22:51 PM
Thanks Ben

Surely I need to run Exchange 2003 domainprep after Exchange 2003 forestprep
as well, is that correct.

Also, after running forest and domain prep from my E2K3 media, I don't need
to run it again before going staright to SP2 do I as my schema has already
been extended, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks very much

Joe

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:eK8EikiNGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You need to be *very* careful about the order here.
>
> IF you run Windows 2003 adprep first, you will end up with mangled
> attributes.  Period.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314649
>
> The solutions are clearly indicated in the KB article with one exception.
> IF you run Exchange 2003 Forestpre FIRST, you will not have to deal with
> the mangled attributes and will not have to run the inetorgpersonfix.  For
> some reason, that hasn't been added to the KB article even though I've
> asked a few times.
>
> My recommendation would be to run them in this order.
>
> 1.  Run Exchange 2003 Forestprep.
> 2.  Run Windows 2003 adprep /forestprep and /domainprep.
>
> OR
>
> 1.  Run inetorgpersonfix from KB article referenced above.
> 2.  Run windows 2003 adprep /forestprep and /domainprep
> 3.  Run Exchange 2003 forestprep when you are ready to install Exchange.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry Nuevo
>>
>> My fault, my new FE server isn't going to be a 2003 DC as well. I am
>> going to install e2k3 (FE) on a new 2003 member server, then a week or 2
>> later deploy my 1st w2k DC.  Do I still need to run windows 2003
>> forestprep and domainprep 1st, then exchange 2003forestprep and
>> domainprep.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes it matters. You should run Windows forestprep and domainprep and
>>> Exchange forestprep and domainprep.
>>>
>>> Nue
>>> "Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message

0
JCarew (11)
2/21/2006 10:56:26 AM
On the 2nd point I meant do I have to extend my schema in preparation for
SP2 or does the forestprep and domainprep used with the base exchange 2003
suffice??

Thanks

Joe

> Thanks Ben
>
> Surely I need to run Exchange 2003 domainprep after Exchange 2003
> forestprep as well, is that correct.
>
> Also, after running forest and domain prep from my E2K3 media, I don't
> need to run it again before going staright to SP2 do I as my schema has
> already been extended, please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Joe
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
> in message news:eK8EikiNGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> You need to be *very* careful about the order here.
>>
>> IF you run Windows 2003 adprep first, you will end up with mangled
>> attributes.  Period.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314649
>>
>> The solutions are clearly indicated in the KB article with one exception.
>> IF you run Exchange 2003 Forestpre FIRST, you will not have to deal with
>> the mangled attributes and will not have to run the inetorgpersonfix.
>> For some reason, that hasn't been added to the KB article even though
>> I've asked a few times.
>>
>> My recommendation would be to run them in this order.
>>
>> 1.  Run Exchange 2003 Forestprep.
>> 2.  Run Windows 2003 adprep /forestprep and /domainprep.
>>
>> OR
>>
>> 1.  Run inetorgpersonfix from KB article referenced above.
>> 2.  Run windows 2003 adprep /forestprep and /domainprep
>> 3.  Run Exchange 2003 forestprep when you are ready to install Exchange.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Sorry Nuevo
>>>
>>> My fault, my new FE server isn't going to be a 2003 DC as well. I am
>>> going to install e2k3 (FE) on a new 2003 member server, then a week or 2
>>> later deploy my 1st w2k DC.  Do I still need to run windows 2003
>>> forestprep and domainprep 1st, then exchange 2003forestprep and
>>> domainprep.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>
>>> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
JCarew (11)
2/21/2006 12:19:54 PM
There are no additional schema upgrades necessary prior to running SP2.  In
other words, there is no SP2 forestprep :-)

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

> On the 2nd point I meant do I have to extend my schema in preparation for
> SP2 or does the forestprep and domainprep used with the base exchange 2003
> suffice??
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe
>
> "Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Ben
>>
>> Surely I need to run Exchange 2003 domainprep after Exchange 2003
>> forestprep as well, is that correct.
>>
>> Also, after running forest and domain prep from my E2K3 media, I don't
>> need to run it again before going staright to SP2 do I as my schema has
>> already been extended, please correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>> Thanks very much
>>
>> Joe
>>

>> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom>
>> wrote in message news:eK8EikiNGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> You need to be *very* careful about the order here.
>>>
>>> IF you run Windows 2003 adprep first, you will end up with mangled
>>> attributes.  Period.
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314649
>>>
>>> The solutions are clearly indicated in the KB article with one
>>> exception. IF you run Exchange 2003 Forestpre FIRST, you will not have
>>> to deal with the mangled attributes and will not have to run the
>>> inetorgpersonfix. For some reason, that hasn't been added to the KB
>>> article even though I've asked a few times.
>>>
>>> My recommendation would be to run them in this order.
>>>
>>> 1.  Run Exchange 2003 Forestprep.
>>> 2.  Run Windows 2003 adprep /forestprep and /domainprep.
>>>
>>> OR
>>>
>>> 1.  Run inetorgpersonfix from KB article referenced above.
>>> 2.  Run windows 2003 adprep /forestprep and /domainprep
>>> 3.  Run Exchange 2003 forestprep when you are ready to install Exchange.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ben Winzenz
>>> Exchange MVP
>>> MessageOne
>>> Read my blog!
>>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>>

>>> "Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message

0
Ben
2/21/2006 2:11:23 PM
I don't think that's as much of a concern.  Understand that Exchange setup
checks to make sure that domainprep and forestprep have been run, and if
they haven't, as long as the account you are running setup with is a Domain
Admin (in the case of domainprep), it will go ahead and run them for you.
Unless there's a compelling need to run it separately, I'd go ahead and just
let domainprep run as part of setup.  I'd sort of figured that you were
going to be upgrading your domain to Windows 2003 first, then upgrading to
Exchange 2003.  Regardless of the order you do things, just make sure that
Exchange 2003 forestprep is run *prior* to running Windows 2003 adprep
/forestprep.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Ben
>
> Surely I need to run Exchange 2003 domainprep after Exchange 2003
> forestprep as well, is that correct.
>
> Also, after running forest and domain prep from my E2K3 media, I don't
> need to run it again before going staright to SP2 do I as my schema has
> already been extended, please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Joe
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
> in message news:eK8EikiNGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> You need to be *very* careful about the order here.
>>
>> IF you run Windows 2003 adprep first, you will end up with mangled
>> attributes.  Period.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314649
>>
>> The solutions are clearly indicated in the KB article with one exception.
>> IF you run Exchange 2003 Forestpre FIRST, you will not have to deal with
>> the mangled attributes and will not have to run the inetorgpersonfix.
>> For some reason, that hasn't been added to the KB article even though
>> I've asked a few times.
>>
>> My recommendation would be to run them in this order.
>>
>> 1.  Run Exchange 2003 Forestprep.
>> 2.  Run Windows 2003 adprep /forestprep and /domainprep.
>>
>> OR
>>
>> 1.  Run inetorgpersonfix from KB article referenced above.
>> 2.  Run windows 2003 adprep /forestprep and /domainprep
>> 3.  Run Exchange 2003 forestprep when you are ready to install Exchange.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Sorry Nuevo
>>>
>>> My fault, my new FE server isn't going to be a 2003 DC as well. I am
>>> going to install e2k3 (FE) on a new 2003 member server, then a week or 2
>>> later deploy my 1st w2k DC.  Do I still need to run windows 2003
>>> forestprep and domainprep 1st, then exchange 2003forestprep and
>>> domainprep.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>
>>> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
Ben
2/21/2006 2:11:27 PM
Thats what I needed to know

thanks a lot

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:efcG0CvNGHA.2828@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> There are no additional schema upgrades necessary prior to running SP2.
> In other words, there is no SP2 forestprep :-)
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message
>> On the 2nd point I meant do I have to extend my schema in preparation for
>> SP2 or does the forestprep and domainprep used with the base exchange
>> 2003 suffice??
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> "Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks Ben
>>>
>>> Surely I need to run Exchange 2003 domainprep after Exchange 2003
>>> forestprep as well, is that correct.
>>>
>>> Also, after running forest and domain prep from my E2K3 media, I don't
>>> need to run it again before going staright to SP2 do I as my schema has
>>> already been extended, please correct me if I am wrong.
>>>
>>> Thanks very much
>>>
>>> Joe

0
JCarew (11)
2/21/2006 4:44:18 PM
Ben

You've been a great help

Cheers

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:%23n%23u2CvNGHA.1124@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I don't think that's as much of a concern.  Understand that Exchange setup
>checks to make sure that domainprep and forestprep have been run, and if
>they haven't, as long as the account you are running setup with is a Domain
>Admin (in the case of domainprep), it will go ahead and run them for you.
>Unless there's a compelling need to run it separately, I'd go ahead and
>just let domainprep run as part of setup.  I'd sort of figured that you
>were going to be upgrading your domain to Windows 2003 first, then
>upgrading to Exchange 2003.  Regardless of the order you do things, just
>make sure that Exchange 2003 forestprep is run *prior* to running Windows
>2003 adprep /forestprep.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Ben
>>
>> Surely I need to run Exchange 2003 domainprep after Exchange 2003
>> forestprep as well, is that correct.
>>
>> Also, after running forest and domain prep from my E2K3 media, I don't
>> need to run it again before going staright to SP2 do I as my schema has
>> already been extended, please correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>> Thanks very much
>>
>> Joe
>>

>> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom>
>> wrote in message news:eK8EikiNGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> You need to be *very* careful about the order here.
>>>
>>> IF you run Windows 2003 adprep first, you will end up with mangled
>>> attributes.  Period.
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314649
>>>
>>> The solutions are clearly indicated in the KB article with one
>>> exception. IF you run Exchange 2003 Forestpre FIRST, you will not have
>>> to deal with the mangled attributes and will not have to run the
>>> inetorgpersonfix. For some reason, that hasn't been added to the KB
>>> article even though I've asked a few times.
>>>
>>> My recommendation would be to run them in this order.
>>>
>>> 1.  Run Exchange 2003 Forestprep.
>>> 2.  Run Windows 2003 adprep /forestprep and /domainprep.
>>>
>>> OR
>>>
>>> 1.  Run inetorgpersonfix from KB article referenced above.
>>> 2.  Run windows 2003 adprep /forestprep and /domainprep
>>> 3.  Run Exchange 2003 forestprep when you are ready to install Exchange.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ben Winzenz
>>> Exchange MVP
>>> MessageOne
>>> Read my blog!
>>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>>

>>> "Joseph Carew" <JCarew@aol.com> wrote in message

0
JCarew (11)

Reminder window doesn't pop up
When a reminder reaches the time to remind me, I hear a sound, and the reminders windows flashes on the task bar, but it does not pop up a window in front of me, whether or not I am using the mouse or keyboard at the time. Is there a setting for this? How do I make it pop up as it used to on my older system as I am missing out on these reminders which occur when my back is turned, or I have stepped awa from my desk? WinXPPro and Outlook 2003. Thanks, Mich What add-ins do you have running in Outlook? IIRC, one of them, Plaxo I think, causes reminder windows to pop up behind the ac...

Exchange Cluster

Jeff Prosise Programming Windows with MFC
Hello. Does anyone have the CD for Programming windows with MFC by jeff prosise? I bought used book and it didn't come with the CD. Any kind people out there who can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. I can send u a blank cd and some cash to send back or paypal or anything. thanks!! ...

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

Importing text from an Explorer window
Howdy all. OS: XP, Excel 2002 SP3 I have my music stored in the My Music directory. I have Artist, Album Title, etc. attributes turned on. What I'd like to do is to take all of this information and input it into an Excel spreadsheet. When I "Select All" from the window, and "Copy", it wants to copy the actual songs, and not the text. Also, the "Paste" option in Excel is grayed out anyway. Is there a way that I can treat the info in a Browser window as just text, and then copy that info into a spreadsheet? TIA. -- Don Cox Here is one I have used...

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

Open Subform in a New Window using a command button
I have a form with a subform which does exactly what I need. However, I want to someway change the subform to a command button so when you click the command button, it will open the subform using the same filter. My form is frmPatent and the subform is sfRelated. The Link Child Field is RelatedMtr and the Link Master Fields is Matter. Can anyone assist me. Thanks! LDMueller Place a button on the form and try this in VBA: docmd.openform "subformname", acnormal,,"RelatedMtr= '" & me.matter & "'" replace the subformname with your own subfo...

Exchange 2003 #5

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

antigen on exchange #2

NOTE window off the screen
Just upgraded to GP 10 - everything has been fine - until now and this is minor... Used the NOTE window attached to POP docs and SOP docs earlier today, they open in minimized size. Now, when I click them, the NOTE tab shows at the bottom of my screen as though it is open but it is not visible. I right-click on the tab and "MAXIMIZE" and it comes up filling my whole screen, which is NOT what I want. If I right-click and minimize, or size, my mouse goes to the top of my monitor screen but there is nothing there. If I click the NOTE tab, I can "see a ghostly form" ...

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...

Exchange 2007 RSG and Isinteg
We are running exchange 2007 on a windows 2008 server, both are fully patched. We backup with Backup Exec 12.5, again fully patched. All of our backups finish without any problems. Our problem; when i restore a database backup to a RSG and then try to restore a mailbox i recieve errors telling me that the maxium number of corrupted messages has been reached. i tried moving the limit up, but i have to move the limit up to 5000 before it works and then i only get a few emails not the complete contents of the mailbox. After a bit of research i found a few similar cases. These were resolv...

how do I set an automatic signature for windows live mail
I've been trying to set up an automatic signature for my email, I use windows live mail - but can't find any direction on how to do this. Not a Word question. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "SusanAndre1954" <SusanAndre1954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D29D57A-6F5F-424E-99E3-B08C86306759@microsoft.com... > I've been trying to set up an automatic signature for my email, I use > windows > live mail - but can't find any direction on how to do t...