Exchange off line, and ESEUTIL error

Hi All,

Earlier today, our Exchange 2003 server crashed.  While the server itself 
didn't crash, Exchage did.  It was acting flaky for about an hour before the 
crash.  For instance, webmail was telling the users that their passwords has 
expired, but not accepting new passwords.  At first we thought it was an AD 
problem, and rebooted the DCs, but it didn't help, and the results of 
different DCDIAG runs didn't show any problems.

Then, nobody could send or receive email.  About the time everything went 
down, I saw in the system event log that the messenger service startup type 
had changed to "disabled."

Anyway, we tried bouncing the Exchange server, and it just never seemed to 
want to come up.  It just hung at the applying computer settings, and after 
about 20 minutes, they decided to power it down, give it a few moments, and 
try bringing it up in safe mode.  This worked, but we can't bring up the 
server in "normal" mode without disabling the Exchange services.

It seems that there are some database issues.  When we try running an 
integrity check using eseutil /g we get the following error:

the database is not up-to-date.  The operation may find that
this dayabase is corrupt because data from the log files has
yet ot be placed in the database.

To ensure the database is up-to-date please use the recovery operation

Using eseutil /mk, we think that we know which log file hasn't been 
committed, but the problem is that the highest numbered log file is one 
beneath it, leading us to believe that the Exchange server failed before the 
server was able to rename the current logfile and create a new working log.

We're not really sure what to do here.  Should we use the eseutil recovery 
option?  Are there any other options or tools to use?

Thanks,

Mark


0
4/24/2006 11:16:40 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 1 followers. Follow

3 Replies
141 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 31

Here is a link talking about repairing an Exchange database:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/DROpsGuide/2238ac21-a0fa-4d7a-898c-b3733d8d376c.mspx?mfr=true

As it says it comes with some risk. What is the state of your backups?

Nue
"Mark Levy" <no-mail@nowhere.com> wrote in message 
news:%23rXxEU$ZGHA.4580@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi All,
>
> Earlier today, our Exchange 2003 server crashed.  While the server itself 
> didn't crash, Exchage did.  It was acting flaky for about an hour before 
> the crash.  For instance, webmail was telling the users that their 
> passwords has expired, but not accepting new passwords.  At first we 
> thought it was an AD problem, and rebooted the DCs, but it didn't help, 
> and the results of different DCDIAG runs didn't show any problems.
>
> Then, nobody could send or receive email.  About the time everything went 
> down, I saw in the system event log that the messenger service startup 
> type had changed to "disabled."
>
> Anyway, we tried bouncing the Exchange server, and it just never seemed to 
> want to come up.  It just hung at the applying computer settings, and 
> after about 20 minutes, they decided to power it down, give it a few 
> moments, and try bringing it up in safe mode.  This worked, but we can't 
> bring up the server in "normal" mode without disabling the Exchange 
> services.
>
> It seems that there are some database issues.  When we try running an 
> integrity check using eseutil /g we get the following error:
>
> the database is not up-to-date.  The operation may find that
> this dayabase is corrupt because data from the log files has
> yet ot be placed in the database.
>
> To ensure the database is up-to-date please use the recovery operation
>
> Using eseutil /mk, we think that we know which log file hasn't been 
> committed, but the problem is that the highest numbered log file is one 
> beneath it, leading us to believe that the Exchange server failed before 
> the server was able to rename the current logfile and create a new working 
> log.
>
> We're not really sure what to do here.  Should we use the eseutil recovery 
> option?  Are there any other options or tools to use?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> 


0
imaneophyte (3004)
4/24/2006 11:22:33 PM
It's pretty much OK, I think.  It will take us back to last night.  However, 
we will have lost a few hours of todays emails, maybe 4 or5 hours worth.

Thanks for the link.

Mark

"Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:e6Vk6X$ZGHA.4580@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Here is a link talking about repairing an Exchange database:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/DROpsGuide/2238ac21-a0fa-4d7a-898c-b3733d8d376c.mspx?mfr=true
>
> As it says it comes with some risk. What is the state of your backups?
>
> Nue
> "Mark Levy" <no-mail@nowhere.com> wrote in message 
> news:%23rXxEU$ZGHA.4580@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Earlier today, our Exchange 2003 server crashed.  While the server itself 
>> didn't crash, Exchage did.  It was acting flaky for about an hour before 
>> the crash.  For instance, webmail was telling the users that their 
>> passwords has expired, but not accepting new passwords.  At first we 
>> thought it was an AD problem, and rebooted the DCs, but it didn't help, 
>> and the results of different DCDIAG runs didn't show any problems.
>>
>> Then, nobody could send or receive email.  About the time everything went 
>> down, I saw in the system event log that the messenger service startup 
>> type had changed to "disabled."
>>
>> Anyway, we tried bouncing the Exchange server, and it just never seemed 
>> to want to come up.  It just hung at the applying computer settings, and 
>> after about 20 minutes, they decided to power it down, give it a few 
>> moments, and try bringing it up in safe mode.  This worked, but we can't 
>> bring up the server in "normal" mode without disabling the Exchange 
>> services.
>>
>> It seems that there are some database issues.  When we try running an 
>> integrity check using eseutil /g we get the following error:
>>
>> the database is not up-to-date.  The operation may find that
>> this dayabase is corrupt because data from the log files has
>> yet ot be placed in the database.
>>
>> To ensure the database is up-to-date please use the recovery operation
>>
>> Using eseutil /mk, we think that we know which log file hasn't been 
>> committed, but the problem is that the highest numbered log file is one 
>> beneath it, leading us to believe that the Exchange server failed before 
>> the server was able to rename the current logfile and create a new 
>> working log.
>>
>> We're not really sure what to do here.  Should we use the eseutil 
>> recovery option?  Are there any other options or tools to use?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark
>>
>>
>
> 


0
4/24/2006 11:36:03 PM
Thankfully Finding out the logs reqired is a simple task. You will have to 
committ the "logs required" to the database to bring it to its consistant 
state.

You will have to do a eseutil /mh <databasepath> and look for the string 
"Logs Required" those will tell you the logs that you need to have committed 
to bring it to its consistant state. Once you find out the logs required, 
make sure that you have them, and attempt to play them forward using a 
eseutil /r <databasepath> if that does not work, restore the database from 
backup, and use the eseutil /cc <databasepath> if that STILL doesnt work, use 
the eseutil /p on the database AFTER backing it up to another location.
"Mark Levy" wrote:

> Hi All,
> 
> Earlier today, our Exchange 2003 server crashed.  While the server itself 
> didn't crash, Exchage did.  It was acting flaky for about an hour before the 
> crash.  For instance, webmail was telling the users that their passwords has 
> expired, but not accepting new passwords.  At first we thought it was an AD 
> problem, and rebooted the DCs, but it didn't help, and the results of 
> different DCDIAG runs didn't show any problems.
> 
> Then, nobody could send or receive email.  About the time everything went 
> down, I saw in the system event log that the messenger service startup type 
> had changed to "disabled."
> 
> Anyway, we tried bouncing the Exchange server, and it just never seemed to 
> want to come up.  It just hung at the applying computer settings, and after 
> about 20 minutes, they decided to power it down, give it a few moments, and 
> try bringing it up in safe mode.  This worked, but we can't bring up the 
> server in "normal" mode without disabling the Exchange services.
> 
> It seems that there are some database issues.  When we try running an 
> integrity check using eseutil /g we get the following error:
> 
> the database is not up-to-date.  The operation may find that
> this dayabase is corrupt because data from the log files has
> yet ot be placed in the database.
> 
> To ensure the database is up-to-date please use the recovery operation
> 
> Using eseutil /mk, we think that we know which log file hasn't been 
> committed, but the problem is that the highest numbered log file is one 
> beneath it, leading us to believe that the Exchange server failed before the 
> server was able to rename the current logfile and create a new working log.
> 
> We're not really sure what to do here.  Should we use the eseutil recovery 
> option?  Are there any other options or tools to use?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Mark
> 
> 
> 
0
Vicnice (145)
4/25/2006 1:00:01 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Exchange Cluster
I am looking for information regarding deployment of an Exchange Cluster in a Blade configuration. Thanks Ken First and formost, make sure your hardware is on the HCL. Support would only be "best effort" if it is not. The following link will get you to the Deploying Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Clusters: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/default.mspx Exchange 2003 Clusters cna be found in the Exchange 2003 Deploymnet Guide at the following location: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx -- Nicholas ...

1st Line in new docs
Hi When I used to type a new doc there was a gap at the top so the text appeared at the same point as when it was printed. Now there's no gap; the text appears right at the top of the screen although it still prints with the gap there. How do I change it so the text appears where it will print. I'm on Word 2007 TIA Tim Move the mouse cursor to the top of the document until it changes to two vertically opposed arrows and a tool-tip "Double-click to show white space" appears, then do that. The display of the white space can also be controlled by c...

Exchange
In Outlook 2007: 1. Draft folder is visible but contents are not! (i can see the number of message but not the messages) 2. Notes folder is NOT visible. (funny thing is that if i make a shortuct i can see it) In BOTH cases all is OK in OWA. Evan Camilleri http://www.holistic.com.mt http://www.dotnetmushroom.com http://www.mobilesalesman.com 1) Perhaps you have a filter set to your view? Verify that the view has been set to "Sent To" and reset it if necessary. 2) Does it show when you switch to the Notes Navigation or use the Folder List Navigation to see all your folders ...

Chart Errors
I have created a chart using 100% stacked columns. I want my values to show the % each value contributes to a total. I.E. Overage, Current Collections and Total Goal. The chart looks great; however, whenever I update my current collections, the percentage doesn't calculate correctly. The chart seems to be adding all values together to come up with the percentage need and the goal doesn't seem to shrink. Any ideas? Are Overage, Current collections and Total Goal stacked on top of one another. If so, the % calculated would be based on the total of all three. "Scacci...

Excel query of Access database
I have an excel workbook where I've queried a table in access. When I first setup the query, I did it through the get external data query wizard, browsed, found my access database (called database_010306.mdb) and selected my table. All was fine. Now, I am renaming my temporary named database (database_010306.mdb) to just database.mdb. So I've got to tell Excel the new filename. I thought I had it when I went to "edit query" in Excel, then went to "Microsoft Query", looked at the SQL code and changed the FROM statement to point to my new filename. When I closed Mic...

How to bring 50 lines in Latin with 50 in English L1 under E1
I want to combine 2 chapters of the same book one is in Latin and one is in English. Each translation has many lines each line has a number. How can I insert line nr.1 in English after line nr 1 in Latin, without using the Clipboard.It only holds 12 lines and I have to copy each one separately and paste it one by one. Does anyone know of a quicker way? =?Utf-8?B?U3BlZWR5IEdvbnphbGVzJyB5b3VuZyBjb3VzaW4=?= <Speedy Gonzales' young cousin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:582A738F-78F9-4994-9EF7-D843C51B5E06@microsoft.com: > I want to combine 2 chapters of the same book on...

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003
Hello, I am having troubling applying Exchange 2003 Server SP 2. The error message says I need to uninstall Intelligent Message Filtering BEFORE I install SP2. I try to uninstall IMF and it will not uninstall. The error message says "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Please contact your support personnel or package vendor. .....A Fatal error during installation." I've also reinstalled the original install of IMF and still the same issues. Any thoughts? Thanks, Randy Hughes Reinstall IM...

Intermittant connection with Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2005
I have a problem affecting just one of our clients. About a third of the messages get through, and about 2 thirds are dropped. We use Exchange Server 2005 and Outlook 2003. The client side is using Microsoft Frontbridge. If we send mail using Outlook Web Access or Evolution, all of the mail is delivered. Can someone tell me why only some of our messages sent via Outlook get delivered while all messages delivered by OWA or Evolution get through? Thanks, Rick ...

restore public folder to Exchange 2003 server from backup copy of the Exchange 5.5 server
Hi, Recently a user deleted a folder witnin the Public Folders on the Exchange 2003 server. When I looked at a backup copy from the backup tape, I could not find the pub1.edb file in the MDBDATA folder. I am using Backup Exec. 8.6. Prior to this, I migrated to Exchange 2003 from Exchage 5.5 and changed my Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. I made a copy of the Exchange 5.5 pub1.edb onto an external hard drive,with its utility. Can i use this copy of the pub1.edb for the existing pub1.edb I have for the Public Folders? If so, what are the steps that I would need to do in performing this act...

Pulling email from exchange server with an exchange account
Hello, I was running a 2003 exchange server but got tired of dealing with the spam, ndr and the rest. I had setup the accounts for everyone including myself. Basically I had in outlook my account setup as an exchange account. Now that our corporate mail is hosted elsewhere I need to pull off my email from my exchange account. I have created POP accounts while using the the IP address for pop and smtp so everything is local when asking to pull. I have also went through an archive trying to get messages to save on my PC so I can then use as PST file, with no success. I have also tried looking f...

Unable to get TextBoxes property of Worksheet Class Error
I have posted elsewhere to try and get resolution on my issue and decided to ask for help here as well. I have an issue that is driving me crazy. I have a workbook that has multiple sheets and some of these sheets have Textboxes (from the drawing tool) on the sheet with standard naming (i.e. TextBox 1, TextBox 2, etc.) I have a button that executes code that takes and builds an external file with the data from the worksheets, including the TextBoxes. During that process I am checking to see if those worksheets with TextBoxes have anything entered before attempting to grab the...

Exchange / POP3
In short: How does one go about having exchange POP email for users whom have 3rd party POP 3 server accounts? Expanded Reason: I have an exchange server setup here and I would like to get email to my users from a 3rd party POP3 account. I would normally just change MX records and point to my exchange server and have the email go right to the exchange server, but this ISP will not allow me to receive inbound SMTP. So as it stands; I can send email from my exchange server using my internet connection with out any issues, it's the receiving part that has me hung up, and if I co...

Sending Error Message
When I press the Send/Receive button, it appears that Outlook 2003 is trying to send 3 or 4 files even though there are no files to be sent. I then get the following error message which quickly disappears: Task 'pop.xxxxxxx.com.au' - Sending reported error (0x80040201): 'Unknown Error 0x80040201'. Outlook seems to work OK otherwise. I do not have Outlook Express installed. I have vet, zonealarm, adaware, spybot etc and can't find any viruses, trojans etc. ...

virus attacks against Exchange
I've noticed over the last month that every Sunday morning at 5:45 a.m. our Exchange server sends a CPU warning. When I check the app event log for that date/time there is a *huge* amount of virus detections by our real time virus monitor . What exactly is going on here and how might I prevent this from continuing to happen ? thanks sounds like you have an "on demand" scan of your mailbox store scheduled for this time frame...have you checked? look in the configuration of your Exchange AV... "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message news:uZcfIwKpEHA.33...

Exchange 2003 #5
How many clients/users will Exchange 2003 support? I have heard that it can support up to 10,000 users. Is this correct? "James" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How many clients/users will Exchange 2003 support? I have heard that it can support up to 10,000 users. Is this correct? How long is a piece of string? Define the hardware platform. Define your expectations for perdformance. Define your backup/restore hardware and strategy. Define your expectations for restore/recovery time. The number of mailboxes on a server is meanngless without some context. wi...

Microsoft Exchange #3
When setting up Outlook I clicked on Microsoft Exhange instead of POP3. Now it is stuck wanting Microsoft Exchange Server. How do I get rid of this so I can sign up under POP3. I deleted Office 2003 and reinstalled and it is still there. Thank You Maggi Control Panel->Mail Icon. Create a new Profile using the Profiles = button and configure it to use your POP3 account. Then go back and = delete the Exchange account from the Accounts button. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal acco...

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software
Can anyone provide any good help-desk softawre that integrates well with Exchange? Preferably open-source (i.e. FREE :) ) Thanks On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:04:03 -0700, circulent <circulent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anyone provide any good help-desk softawre that integrates well with >Exchange? Preferably open-source (i.e. FREE :) ) > >Thanks You get what you pay for. MOM and its future SCOM 2007 and the helpdesk features of that 2007 product are certainly good products to name just one. As an actionpack subscriber we get MOM Workgroup Edition. does that have...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000
Hi, we are considering to migrate our single windows NT domain to windows 2000, then to upgrade the current exchange 5.5 into Exchange 2000 which is currently in the windows 2000 member server within this NT domain. I know I have one option: * upgrade the PDC to windows 2000 domain control and then exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000. what is the risk here? * my question here is: where could I find the detail steps? I am thinking if I have another option which is: * Migrate the PDC to windows 2000 domain. * Install a saparated exchange 2000 server * move the mail box from exch...

Problems between two Exchange Servers
At my Company we are planning to replace an existing exchange 2000 server (EXS1 NT Pack 4.0 Exchange Sp3) with a new server called (EXS2 NT Pack 4, No Service Pack). So we configured an additional server and added to our primary Site. We moved a few mailboxes to the new server and seem to get outside mail but I see that all the mail sent locally is not been delivered and is stuck in the Queue that is pointing to the new server by name exs2.mydomain.com. I tried to force a connection but it doesnt want send the mail. Please help Gary Vidal Is there more than one routing group? -- reg...

Third request for help with Payables Error message!
Ok I have posted this for the third time with no response! I need help to know if there is any kind of issue on the back end of our environment. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated! We are currently running GP 10 SP1 and apparently since version 8 (we did not upgrade to 9) there has been the following error message while launching a transaction out of Smartlist, when we go to inquiry for AP documents, and drill down of PMTRX & PMCHK from the JE inquiry view: Unhandeled Script Exception: Index 0 array of 'PM_Transaction_Inquiry_Fill' Script terminated We ran a ...

Exchange ignores Outlooks text only setting
we are running excg5.5 sp4, on nt4.0 sp6. we are using office 98, and 2000. The problem we are having is Exchange ignores Outlooks text only setting and send both text and html mime encoded messages. On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 05:55:01 -0700, "mikee" <mikee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >we are running excg5.5 sp4, on nt4.0 sp6. we are using office 98, and 2000. >The problem we are having is Exchange ignores Outlooks text only setting and >send both text and html mime encoded messages. What ticks have you got on the Internet Mail tab > Advanced Options of the I...

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003
I setup protection for Exchange Server 2003 SP2 running on Win2K3 SP2. There are four information storage groups. I am protecting the server using DPM 2010 RC. All of the prerequisite steps were performed successfully. Two of the info storage groups (the small ones - 30GB) backup successfully. The two large info storage groups (125GB each) fail with the following alert message: DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy38\Exchsvr\MdbData\support\Support (ServerName)\Support.edb on ServerName.domain.com (ID 2033 Detai...

antigen on exchange #2
HI All, This question regarding antigen software recently we installed in our exchange server. Every thing has gone fine, when I test adding some words to filters are not working. By default filtering has in enabled the State. What I configuration I have to do. I did not change any configurations. Thanks in advance, Shiva. ...

domain added then removed from exchange but emails still route to exchange ?
Hi, Was wondering if someone can explain this: added external domainA to accepted domains added domainA mail address to users mailbox (mx was not changed) sent email from mailbox/account/domainB (hosted on exchange server) to domainA , arrived in users mailbox on exchange as expected removed domainA from accepted domains removed domainA email address from users mailbox to domainA , arrived in users mailbox on exchange as expected, arrived in users mailbox, this was not expected. When using Outlook (domainB exchange accounts) and entering the email address user@domainA.co...

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...