Exchange Front End Backup Frequency

Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End
Exchange 2003 Standard
2003 AD native/native

Front end has empty store mounted for SMTP forwarding.

What frequncy would you recommend backing up the front end server since it
holds no real changing data?

Can I get away with once every week? (hopefully)

Backend has sufficient backups every day in place.

Thanks for your help,
Harry

0
harry9020 (4)

On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:34:14 -0400, "Harry Bates"
<harry@NOSPAMrocksystems.net> wrote:

>Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End
>Exchange 2003 Standard
>2003 AD native/native
>
>Front end has empty store mounted for SMTP forwarding.
>
>What frequncy would you recommend backing up the front end server since it
>holds no real changing data?
>
>Can I get away with once every week? (hopefully)
>
>Backend has sufficient backups every day in place.
>

>Thanks for your help,
>Harry

If you are talking about Exchange backups, never. Enable circular
logging.

System State or backups of customized data etc... That is up to you.

0
adavid (8731)
5/20/2006 2:40:06 PM
Either I do not understand your statement or you don't understand my
question. Probably my bad, but I am asking when it is necessary to back up
an Exchange front end? Once a week, Once a month, Every day, etc...?

Thanks Andy in advance for your help.

"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:34:14 -0400, "Harry Bates"
> <harry@NOSPAMrocksystems.net> wrote:
>
>>Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End
>>Exchange 2003 Standard
>>2003 AD native/native
>>
>>Front end has empty store mounted for SMTP forwarding.
>>
>>What frequncy would you recommend backing up the front end server since it
>>holds no real changing data?
>>
>>Can I get away with once every week? (hopefully)
>>
>>Backend has sufficient backups every day in place.
>>

>>Thanks for your help,
>>Harry
>>

> If you are talking about Exchange backups, never. Enable circular
> logging.
>
> System State or backups of customized data etc... That is up to you.

0
harry9020 (4)
5/20/2006 2:48:47 PM
Maybe the lightbulb just went on in my head...lol... ;)

I think i understand what you are saying. You don't have to back up an
Exchange front end ever as long as you have circular logging in place. I am
not familiar with circular logging, can you point me in the right direction?
So, if this is true, and say the front end goes down, aren't there
attributes and objects left in AD? At that point if I understand your point,
it would mean that I would just have to rebuild and Exchange front end and
name it the same name? Would it join the Exchange environment correctly at
that point?

Sorry for so many queestions, I am just trying to be thorough.

-Harry

"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:34:14 -0400, "Harry Bates"
> <harry@NOSPAMrocksystems.net> wrote:
>
>>Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End
>>Exchange 2003 Standard
>>2003 AD native/native
>>
>>Front end has empty store mounted for SMTP forwarding.
>>
>>What frequncy would you recommend backing up the front end server since it
>>holds no real changing data?
>>
>>Can I get away with once every week? (hopefully)
>>
>>Backend has sufficient backups every day in place.
>>

>>Thanks for your help,
>>Harry
>>

> If you are talking about Exchange backups, never. Enable circular
> logging.
>
> System State or backups of customized data etc... That is up to you.

0
harry9020 (4)
5/20/2006 2:56:57 PM
His point was that you don't need to.
The only reason you might want to is if you customized OWA or something.

"Harry Bates" <harry@NOSPAMrocksystems.net> wrote in message
> Either I do not understand your statement or you don't understand my
> question. Probably my bad, but I am asking when it is necessary to back up
> an Exchange front end? Once a week, Once a month, Every day, etc...?
>
> Thanks Andy in advance for your help.
>
> "Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
> message news:9fau62t060pvnrs1a3lbitaase9iguj96s@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:34:14 -0400, "Harry Bates"
>> <harry@NOSPAMrocksystems.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End
>>>Exchange 2003 Standard
>>>2003 AD native/native
>>>
>>>Front end has empty store mounted for SMTP forwarding.
>>>
>>>What frequncy would you recommend backing up the front end server since
>>>it
>>>holds no real changing data?
>>>
>>>Can I get away with once every week? (hopefully)
>>>
>>>Backend has sufficient backups every day in place.
>>>

>>>Thanks for your help,
>>>Harry
>>>

>> If you are talking about Exchange backups, never. Enable circular
>> logging.
>>
>> System State or backups of customized data etc... That is up to you.

0
exchangemvp (657)
5/20/2006 3:01:06 PM
OK, that's good. What happens in the event of catostrophic failure? Do I
build another server with the same name and just join it in again? Will the
AD attributes need to be modified?

"Martin Blackstone - MVP" <exchangemvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> His point was that you don't need to.
> The only reason you might want to is if you customized OWA or something.
>
> "Harry Bates" <harry@NOSPAMrocksystems.net> wrote in message
>> Either I do not understand your statement or you don't understand my
>> question. Probably my bad, but I am asking when it is necessary to back
>> up an Exchange front end? Once a week, Once a month, Every day, etc...?
>>
>> Thanks Andy in advance for your help.
>>
>> "Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
>> message news:9fau62t060pvnrs1a3lbitaase9iguj96s@4ax.com...

>>> If you are talking about Exchange backups, never. Enable circular
>>> logging.
>>>
>>> System State or backups of customized data etc... That is up to you.

0
harry9020 (4)
5/20/2006 3:08:22 PM
If the server failed, you simply reinstall windows, reinstall exchange
as a front-end and away you go.  Assuming your DC's are still OK, you
don't need to re-extend, and all your store data is on your backend(s).
 You can reduce some of this time by doing backups of the FE's system
state (which as you said, doesnt change so often).

Otherwise, if your talking about the whole data center needing to be
rebuilt, thats its own process that you would need to review.

However, the question is really how vital is the server and how quick
you need to recover it to determine if you should utilize a regular
backup routine of the OS and files, this in combination with like Bare
Metal Restore, and you will be back up and at it real quick.

Circular logging is set on the storage group properties..

Exchange Cluster

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

Exchange 2003 #5

Money 2006 never ending upgrade.
I know Vista is not supported but it runs fine for me on Vista RC2 #5744. When it starts up it says it's D/Ling additional files and just keeps on going at 1%. My find and a few other options will not work while it thinks it's D/Ling and updating. Is there a way to stop this? When I go to the Alerts Center I get the same "Command not available while Money upgrades" -- Sam Check for firewalls on the system and also close money and reopen but before you to right click on the icon and go to Log In As and log in as the main admin this should fix it Steve "Sam Steinha...

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

antigen on exchange #2

Resetting the end of a worksheet
When I click Ctrl+End, Excel takes me to row 8000+. The actual end of my worksheet is AN381. How do I reset the worksheet so that all the 'empty' rows no longer show up as part of the worksheet - so that when I click Ctrl+End, it takes me to the true last cell/row? Cachod, have a look here http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Cachod1" <Cachod1@disc...

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...

Exchange 2007 RSG and Isinteg
We are running exchange 2007 on a windows 2008 server, both are fully patched. We backup with Backup Exec 12.5, again fully patched. All of our backups finish without any problems. Our problem; when i restore a database backup to a RSG and then try to restore a mailbox i recieve errors telling me that the maxium number of corrupted messages has been reached. i tried moving the limit up, but i have to move the limit up to 5000 before it works and then i only get a few emails not the complete contents of the mailbox. After a bit of research i found a few similar cases. These were resolv...

Restore Exchange...help!!!!
My 'broken' Exchange2003\win2003 server (not DC) had it's partitions labelled...'system' for C:\, 'Exchange' for D: and 'logs' for E:. How important is it I label the new Exchange server drives the same before the restore (I am not sure of the EXACT names!!!) Also my log files were all on drive D:\ (the only things on that drive) do I need to restore them too...they may not be exactly in sync with the other data being restored? Finally, what part of my 'Exchsvr' folder do I need to restore from backup? I think that may be a few days older tha...

displaying a table on a form so that we can insert a new record at any place rather that at the end
how can i display the table on a form so that the user is able to insert a new record not only in the last, but also in any place of his desire. he must be able to insert a new record even before the first record. how can i accomplish this? can any body help me out please........ hi Ravindar, ravindar thati wrote: > how can i display the table on a form so that the user is able to > insert a new record not only in the last, but also in any place of his > desire. he must be able to insert a new record even before the first > record. Tables in Access (in a database) are a differen...

emails retained in exchange 2003 queue
Hi to all, i have a ZyWall firewall (hardware) with a Turbo Card option installed. When i activate the anti-virus option in the firewall, i can receive emails, but all that i sent, do not go out, all off them stay in queue. When i deactivate that option, all the mails in queue, are sent. I ask my vendor for that problem, they test my firewall in their offices, but all it's ok. In my home, donsn't work. Must i change anything in my exchange ?? Best regards It sounds like your firewall is blocking outbound connections. You may need to configure exchange to use a SmartHost (your...

Issues with blank email replies on Exchange
Hi, A user recently emailed and said everytime he is vpn'd into the office from home (on his works laptop) he gets an odd problem. He can't send or reply to any emails. And when it does send it sends as a blank message - but somtimes takes about 7-8 attempts to get that far even. He does not get the problem in work. The error is "Error getting data from myexchangeserver.mydomain.com" He has full access to everything else using VPN and can receive emails ok - he can also remote desktop fine and c$ machines etc and read/write to file shares as normal. Details (Outlook...