Exchange directory name of mailbox has heap of numbers, eg. jsmith2356634346

I have added some text from another post as people will probably search
on something out of the exmerge log to find this post.

Does anyone know why Exchange 2003 will automatically adds extra
numbers to the end of a directory for a mailbox, when you look at the
AD user profile, it all looks fine, mailbox name looks fine.  The only
thing that i can see that it effects is exmerge when it is looking for
a PST with a heap of numbers at the end.

Does any one have the answer?  The simple solution is to rename the pst
to what the directory name is, but that dont answer my question of why
the numbers come up?

Thanks
This is the situation:

We are in the process of moving a small number of users per day from
an Exchange 5.5 server to an Exchange 2000 server.  I am using EXMERGE
3.71 on the 5.5 server to extract the mailboxes to PST files (with the
filename being firstname.lastname.pst).  I copy the PST files to the
2000 server.  I then use EXMERGE for Exchange 2000 to import the mail
data to the new mailboxes (aliases are firstname.lastname).

For some reason, the importing worked up until yesterday afternoon.
Looking at the exmerge log file...

[15:28:41] All mailboxes will be processed, regardless of locale
[15:28:41] Initializing worker thread (Thread0)
[15:28:41] Merging data from file
'D:\TEMP\PST\MARGIT.JEKABSON70420845.PST' to mailbox 'Margit Jekabson'
('MARGIT.JEKABSON70420845') on server 'CORPMAIL'.
[15:28:41] Error. File 'D:\TEMP\PST\MARGIT.JEKABSON70420845.PST' not
found. Cannot merge data into mailbox for user 'Margit Jekabson'
('MARGIT.JEKABSON70420845').
[15:28:41] Errors encountered. Copy process aborted for mailbox
'Margit Jekabson' ('MARGIT.JEKABSON70420845').
[15:28:41] Merging data from file 'D:\TEMP\PST\RANDY.REED43355376.PST'
to mailbox 'Randy Reed' ('RANDY.REED43355376') on server 'CORPMAIL'.
[15:28:41] Error. File 'D:\TEMP\PST\RANDY.REED43355376.PST' not found.
Cannot merge data into mailbox for user 'Randy Reed'
('RANDY.REED43355376').
[15:28:41] Errors encountered. Copy process aborted for mailbox 'Randy
Reed' ('RANDY.REED43355376').
[15:28:42] Merging data from file
'D:\TEMP\PST\TERRY.BROWN13921676.PST' to mailbox 'Terry Brown'
('TERRY.BROWN13921676') on server 'CORPMAIL'.
[15:28:42] Error. File 'D:\TEMP\PST\TERRY.BROWN13921676.PST' not
found. Cannot merge data into mailbox for user 'Terry Brown'
('TERRY.BROWN13921676').
[15:28:42] Errors encountered. Copy process aborted for mailbox 'Terry
Brown' ('TERRY.BROWN13921676').
[15:28:42] Number of items copied from the source store for all
mailboxes processed: 0
[15:28:42] Total number of folders processed in the source store: 0
[15:28:42] 0 mailboxes successfully processed. 3 mailboxes were not
successfully processed. 0 non-fatal errors encountered.
[15:28:42] Process completion time: 00:00:00

Why has exmerge 2k started seeing the PST file with numbers attached
to the filename???  and also the alias of the mailbox???  I checked
the aliases of the mailboxes on 2000 and it is firstname.lastname.  I
checked the filenames of the PST to be imported and it is
firstname.lastname.pst.

0
vyaw2003 (36)

Would d:\temp happen to be a mapped drive/directory?

<vyaw2003@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> [15:28:42] Error. File 'D:\TEMP\PST\TERRY.BROWN13921676.PST' not
> found. Cannot merge data into mailbox for user 'Terry Brown'
> ('TERRY.BROWN13921676').
> [15:28:42] Errors encountered. Copy process aborted for mailbox 'Terry
> Brown' ('TERRY.BROWN13921676').
> [15:28:42] Number of items copied from the source store for all
> mailboxes processed: 0
> [15:28:42] Total number of folders processed in the source store: 0
> [15:28:42] 0 mailboxes successfully processed. 3 mailboxes were not
> successfully processed. 0 non-fatal errors encountered.
> [15:28:42] Process completion time: 00:00:00
>

> Why has exmerge 2k started seeing the PST file with numbers attached
> to the filename???  and also the alias of the mailbox???  I checked
> the aliases of the mailboxes on 2000 and it is firstname.lastname.  I
> checked the filenames of the PST to be imported and it is

0
John
10/10/2006 12:42:58 AM
exchange is on e: and no there is no temp folder there, there is one in
c: with nothing in it.  There is d: with no temp folder as well. d: is
install software partition.

Do i need a e:\temp folder?

0
vyaw2003 (36)
10/10/2006 1:06:55 AM
No.  I asked the question because:

[15:28:41] Merging data from file
'D:\TEMP\PST\MARGIT.JEKABSON70420845.PST' to mailbox 'Margit Jekabson'
('MARGIT.JEKABSON70420845') on server 'CORPMAIL'.
[15:28:41] Error. File 'D:\TEMP\PST\MARGIT.JEKABSON70420845.PST' not
found. Cannot merge data into mailbox for user 'Margit Jekabson'

Clearly there is an issue with the path.  I'd suspect a mapped drive or
invalid name or mistyped path for the location.

> exchange is on e: and no there is no temp folder there, there is one in
> c: with nothing in it.  There is d: with no temp folder as well. d: is
> install software partition.
>
> Do i need a e:\temp folder?

0
John
10/10/2006 11:46:13 PM
No sorry i copied that text from another post asking the same/similar
question.  That is the error that comes up in exmerge
'JEKABSON70420845.PST' not found.  It was the numbers part here that
was the issue.  As my original question was, why does exchange put
numbers at the end of only some databases (that is what exchange calls
each mailbox)

0
vyaw2003 (36)
10/11/2006 10:06:57 PM
Well, as far as that goes, I believe you simply got a bit ahead of yourself.
the Exmerge program uses the values from the legacyExchangeDN.  At some
point in the history of your system, you deleted an account and created a
new one with the same name or otherwise ended up in a situation where the
was a duplicate.  Because the legacyExchangeDN has to be unique, if an
object with the same name already exists then the random numbers to the end
to make it unique.  Just rename the files and  they'll import.  Another
option would be to create a file and run exmerge from the command line.

> No sorry i copied that text from another post asking the same/similar
> question.  That is the error that comes up in exmerge
> 'JEKABSON70420845.PST' not found.  It was the numbers part here that
> was the issue.  As my original question was, why does exchange put
> numbers at the end of only some databases (that is what exchange calls
> each mailbox)

0
John

Sequentially numbered Purchase orders
In the past with Office 97. I used a purchase order template that would basically self number itself. when it opened a small box would appear and by clicking it the PO received a unique number. How can I accomplish this using Office XP. ...

forwarding in Exchange 2003 #2

copy of exchange 2000
I don't suppose microsoft is providing Exchange 2000 as a free download anywhere are they?? Until we can afford to move up to SBS 2008 (hopefully later this year), I want to trash our SBS 2000 (too many issues with it) and simply install a win2k server with Exchange until we can move on. We are not using any of the other SBS components any longer anyway... If anyone knows where I might be able to get this from, I would be very appreciative! Thanks, Brad Why not look at BPOS? $10 per user a month it's a great inexpensive solution. You may find you do not ne...

How do I set the number format to Base 12?
I would like to change the number format on my spreadsheet from Base 10 to Base 12, eg. 12 bottles makes up 1 case. Therefore, if I were adding up three different cells 9 bottles + 11 bottles + 6 bottles, my result should be 2 cases 2 bottles if possible 2.2 in a case column. See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/fractional.htm for details. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Andrew Moore" <AndrewMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:893CABE9-37D7-4E6B-8A7E-A5E679C8C824@microsoft.com... >...

display name #2
hi i have this problem: when i send a mail massage from an application by exchange 2003, in outlook i see the e-mail address (xx@mydomain .com) and not display name (Customer Care) how can i resolve it? Thanks An application should allow you to specify display name for sender. Does it send via SMTP or MAPI? Matrix_pd wrote: > hi > i have this problem: when i send a mail massage from an application by > exchange 2003, in outlook i see the e-mail address (xx@mydomain .com) and > not display name (Customer Care) > > how can i resolve it? > > Thanks -- Please re...

Deleted exchange 5.5 site not replicating over the ADC to Exchange 2000 side
We are a part of a shared Exchange 5.5 organization but our site is primarily Exchange 2000/2k3. We maintain a single 5.5 server as the rest of the Org is 5.5. The problem we are seeing is when the folks who control the Organization at the top level remove a site that is no longer used, that deletion is not carrying over the CONFIG_CA agreement to the Exchange 2000/AD side. Our Exchange 5.5 server executes the deletion with no issue. Any ideas on why this deletion is not replicating properly over the ADC and throught the SRS database? In the past we have manually removed the sites/recipie...

automatically naming files for savingb

Save As using contents of Cell in Name

Exchange SP2 #5
I'm going to install SP2 for Exchange 2003 which is on my SBS2003. Is there anything i should know / do before I install? Thanks Damien 1. Read the Release Notes. http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/b/5/fb5c54af-fe5c-48e9-be97-f9e8207325ab/Ex_2003_SP2_RelNotes.htm 2. If you ever installed IMF v1, uninstall it. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Damien" <no@emailplease.com> wrote in message news:nS%fh.423965$E_2.65239@fe03.news.easynews.com... > I&...

cannot uninstall Exchange 2000
Just finished a migration from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2000, and I'm not able to uninstall Exchange 2000 from the old server to demote it gracefully. I realize I can manually uninstall, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible to keep it clean. The error I'm getting is: Setup encountered an error while checking prerequisites for the component "Microsoft Exchange 2000": 0x80072030 (8240): There is no such object on the server. The bottom portion of the log is: [05:51:15] Entering CCompDomainPrep::ScGetEffectiveMode [05:51:15] Leaving CCompDomainPrep::...

Exchange Stops Working
Hello. MY SETUP: 1. Primary server named STECNICIL (THIS HAS WINDOWS 2003 ENTERPRISE SERVER) 2. Secondary server name TEC-EXCHNG (THIS IS THE EXCHANGE SBS SERVER 2003) All the user connect through STECNICIL to get internet and every other service... All users connect to TEC-EXCHNG to get their email through OUTLOOK 2003. MY PROBLEM: I don't know what's going on but approximatly every 30mn to 1 hour, the connections between the clients and the EXCHANGE SERVER stops working. No more email for clients after that period of time. I have restart the server and restart the EXCH...

Auto Response with Exchange 5.5
I would like to create a auto response with Exchange 5.5. So when someone sends mail to careers@domain.com I can have an automated response go back. But I can't setup rules inside of outlook and keep it attached to the server I would like to make some sort of server side rule if possible?? Any suggestions? Thanks, BiG On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:09:59 -0400, bigdogg <bigdogg33_2000@yahoo.com> wrote: >I would like to create a auto response with Exchange 5.5. So when >someone sends mail to careers@domain.com I can have an automated >response go back. But I can't ...

Active Directory/Exchange problem
All, Before I joined my current employer the admin here upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000(Box A) and then added another Exchange 2000 box to the organisation(Box B)and migrated the data in Box A to Box B. Box B is now the working exchange server and Box A is no longer used. The problem is that if I actually shut down Box A I can add a new user to Active Directory but I am unable to modify a users email/smtp details. All mail can still be transferred with no problems which would lead me to believe that Exchange is Ok but there is some sort of Active Directory link between the two bo...

Exchange 2003 with SP2 problems...

Foreign Exchange
With Excel 2003, is there a way to have a cell automatically update th foreign exchange rate of yen to British pounds from the internet, an then use that cell to do calculations -- peterthistl ----------------------------------------------------------------------- peterthistle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2892 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48664 Here's something to get you started: Open a new workbook On Sheet1, enter the following: A1: FromCurrency B1: CAD A2: ToCurrency B2: USD A3: FromAmount B3...

Consulta Exchange 5.5 Mails con fondo
Estimados: Alguien sabe si es posible configurar un servidor Exchange 5.5 para que los mails enviados salgan con un fondo (bacground) predeterminado? Gracias. ...

formula to get sheet name
hi, can a formula retreive a worksheet name or does it need to be macro based? thanks, N.S. Hi Nigel, This formula that takes care of the possible situation whereby you have only one sheet in the workbook and its name is the same as the workbook's. Note: CELL("filename") will only work if the file has been saved at least once and if the file is opened in a different language system, the argument "filename" will need to be changed manually to the corresponding word (e.g. in Spanish "nombrearchivo"): =LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),SUBSTITUTE(MID(CE...

changing a name in mulit parts of a document
I am setting up a word document. This will be used as a template In this document I wish to insert the same "name" throughtout this document. Is it possible to change the name in one spot and all of the others change automatically thanks See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>...