Exchange Database Recovery

Hello,

We are a small business with one Exchange 2003 Server.
The hard disk died on the server the other day and we
couldn't boot.  I put in a new disk and reloaded Windows
2003 and Exchange 2003.  Thankfully, several of us were
using Outlook 2003 with Cached Mode, so we simply backed
our email up and reloaded it into the newly restored
Exchange.  However, one user with several years worth of
critical email didn't have Cached Mode turned on for some
reason, so I'm trying to restore his email.

I was able to connect the damaged hard disk and copy the
Exchange database folders to the new hard disk.  I
created a Recovery Storage Group, but now I'm not sure
how to get the old database into the group.  When I
choose Add Database to Recover, it simply shows the
current mailbox store in the list.  I've tried adding it
anyway and then changing the paths to the database files,
but it won't allow that.  I've read the Knowledge Base
article but I seem to be missing something.  Any ideas?
0
anonymous (74721)

when you create an RSG, it is presumed that you will be restoring an older
version of the database...do you not have a tape or file backup to use?

"Tim Thomas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We are a small business with one Exchange 2003 Server.
> The hard disk died on the server the other day and we
> couldn't boot.  I put in a new disk and reloaded Windows
> 2003 and Exchange 2003.  Thankfully, several of us were
> using Outlook 2003 with Cached Mode, so we simply backed
> our email up and reloaded it into the newly restored
> Exchange.  However, one user with several years worth of
> critical email didn't have Cached Mode turned on for some
> reason, so I'm trying to restore his email.
>
> I was able to connect the damaged hard disk and copy the
> Exchange database folders to the new hard disk.  I
> created a Recovery Storage Group, but now I'm not sure
> how to get the old database into the group.  When I
> choose Add Database to Recover, it simply shows the
> current mailbox store in the list.  I've tried adding it
> anyway and then changing the paths to the database files,
> but it won't allow that.  I've read the Knowledge Base
> article but I seem to be missing something.  Any ideas?

0
susan7353 (1225)
5/17/2004 3:07:52 PM
Unfortunately no, we did not have a backup ... we just
have the actual databases that were in use.  Is there
another method that can be used to retrieve data from
them?

0
anonymous (74721)
5/17/2004 3:15:46 PM
have you looked at this article?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824126

> Unfortunately no, we did not have a backup ... we just
> have the actual databases that were in use.  Is there
> another method that can be used to retrieve data from
> them?

0
susan7353 (1225)
5/17/2004 3:21:29 PM
Yes, that was the article I was using, but I'm unsure
about some things.  For example, it says that a
prerequisite is that "The logical information in Active
Directory about the storage group and its mailboxes is
intact and unchanged".  I'm not sure if that applies to
me or not.  I know that the databases are intact, but the
only info currently in Active Directory is about the new
version of our Exchange database, not the one I'm trying
to restore.  I don't believe the section on modifying AD
attributes applies to me, as far as I can tell.  The
Recovery SG Override section doesn't seem to apply to me
either.  I'm wondering if this can be done!  Any other
thoughts?  Thank you for your time.

us;824126

>"Tim Thomas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
>> Unfortunately no, we did not have a backup ... we just
>> have the actual databases that were in use.  Is there
>> another method that can be used to retrieve data from
>> them?

0
anonymous (74721)
5/17/2004 3:36:56 PM
if you can't get this working on your production server, you can attempt
building a "recovery" server and/or you could look into Powercontrols from
ONTrack...when you resintalled Exchange, is everything exactly as it was
before?  Org name, administrative group names? database names?

> Yes, that was the article I was using, but I'm unsure
> about some things.  For example, it says that a
> prerequisite is that "The logical information in Active
> Directory about the storage group and its mailboxes is
> intact and unchanged".  I'm not sure if that applies to
> me or not.  I know that the databases are intact, but the
> only info currently in Active Directory is about the new
> version of our Exchange database, not the one I'm trying
> to restore.  I don't believe the section on modifying AD
> attributes applies to me, as far as I can tell.  The
> Recovery SG Override section doesn't seem to apply to me
> either.  I'm wondering if this can be done!  Any other
> thoughts?  Thank you for your time.

0
susan7353 (1225)
5/17/2004 3:45:23 PM
Yes, I kept everything the same so it would be easy to
recover.  We don't have a spare machine to use for a
server.  I'm unfamiliar with Powercontrols, is it
expensive?

I take it from this discussion that there isn't a simple,
straightforward Windows-based way to import the data back
in?

Thanks.

0
anonymous (74721)
5/17/2004 3:54:24 PM
the article I referenced indicated that it should not be a huge
problem...but I've never tried restoring to an RSG from an offline backup.
I've only done it with online backups, and it works great...
PowerControls is not inexpensive, but depending on how important it is to
get this mail back, it might be considered a bargain...

> Yes, I kept everything the same so it would be easy to
> recover.  We don't have a spare machine to use for a
> server.  I'm unfamiliar with Powercontrols, is it
> expensive?
>
> I take it from this discussion that there isn't a simple,
> straightforward Windows-based way to import the data back
> in?
>
> Thanks.

0
susan7353 (1225)
5/17/2004 4:17:15 PM
We probably won't be able to purchase the software ...
it's not crucial enough that the company would be willing
to spend a lot.  Thank you very much for your comments
and help.  I think my only solution at this point will be
finding someone who knows how to do an "offline"
restore.  My guess is that it involves some AD editing.
If you have any ideas on this I'd be greatly appreciative!

Thanks again.

0
anonymous (74721)
5/17/2004 5:24:07 PM
did you see this ?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296788#4
> We probably won't be able to purchase the software ...
> it's not crucial enough that the company would be willing
> to spend a lot.  Thank you very much for your comments
> and help.  I think my only solution at this point will be
> finding someone who knows how to do an "offline"
> restore.  My guess is that it involves some AD editing.
> If you have any ideas on this I'd be greatly appreciative!
>
> Thanks again.

0
susan7353 (1225)

Cannot Create _MSCRMDistribution database when i reinstall CRM
Hi, I built a front end CRM Server, using the 5 license keys MSDN_Subscriber. Had to uninstall this and reinstall CRM as we had another 25 licenses under the name of our company. Problem is, i've reinstalled CRM and the new organization key, everything looks and works absolutely fine, however there are only three databases, the companyname_MSCRMDistribution is missing. So... Gone into Deployment Manager>Servers Manager>Configure SQL Server which is supposed to create this database? I just get an error in the event log: Source: DMSNAPIN Event ID: 0 dmLog: Failed to execute t...

Exchange Server OUs
Does anyone out there use a separate ou to house there Exchange Servers? Aloha Tyson, I'm sure some people do, though I don't think any of our sites do. What are you hoping to accomplish? -Ben- Ben M. Schorr - MVP http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenote.html > Does anyone out there use a separate ou to house there Exchange > Servers? > Not me. :-) "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8DF22BD-3E7C-454D-83C9-858730B5EBF7@microsoft.com... > Does anyone out there use a separate ou...

Reading XML from Database - Serious Problem

Size of Exchange 5.5 Pivate Information Store Database
Is there a way to find the size of the Exchange 5.5 data base? I know the remaing size of the Database will show in the event log after the database has been defregged. you could locate the PRIV.EDB and PUB.EDB under the EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA folder and check their size. to check empty space in each of these database use the eseutil /ms command XADM: ESEUTIL Command Line Parameters http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182903 "EMcGrath@HCA_NOSPAM_Vendor.com" wrote: > Is there a way to find the size of the Exchange 5.5 data base? I know the > remaing size ...

Secure Messaging (signed and encrypted) with external/interdivisional Recipients using Outlook 2003/Exchange 2003
I currently have to evaluate a solution for a signed and encrypted Exchange 2003 (SP2)Outlook 2003 (SP2) messaging environment, externally to the internet and "network internally" with other divisions (which are not trusted into our Win2003 Forest/Exchange 2003 Org.). MS PKI is in place and is used within our Forest/Exchange Org for secure messaging. My questions here are: Are there any possibilities for external, secure messaging (digitally signed and encrypted) using the existing MS PKI Infrastructure? Would a MS PKI cross certification infrastructure work with external internet ...

Exchange 5.5 with multiple servers in one site
Hi All, I am trying to setup a second Exchange server because my company is growing so rapidly. If I add another server and make it part of the current SITE. Both servers can share one Global Address book thru directory replication. How does the user logon? If there is two servers A and B, can a person with mailbox on server B logon thru server A? What about routing, when an email comes in for person@xyz.com and his mailbox resides on server B will server A forward it to server B? Thanks for your help. Will On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:52:52 -0400, "Will" <will8410@yahoo.com&...

Upgrade the local database
I’ve upgraded from 1.3 to dynamics 2.0 and when I 'Z' out I receive this error message. “Upgrade the offline database before synchronization can be restored” What are the steps to upgrade the local DB? Thanks for any help. How did you upgrade to version 2? Did you use SO Administrator, connected to your 1.3 db then selected database - upgrade? If so, you could update the local db the same way - at the register (where the local offline db is located) use SO administrator to connect (local) to the offline db - then database - upgrade. If you are a single store, single regi...

hyperlinks change when I sort my database
I am making an 800 plant database for a nursery and need to update the new plants they get from time to time I linked each specific plant and it's information to it's corresponding image of that plant whenever I add new plants I sort my database, I just now realized that when I alphabetize/sort, the images our not the original ones that i had previously chosen. How do I make it so that the hyperlinks dont change when I sort. nevermind I figured it out I was Hyperlinking the rows not specific cells ...

News Groups in Exchange 2003
Hello All, I am trying to set up some news group feeds to come from news.microsoft.com. I have the remote server set up as a peer both and have the news groups I want to get. But for some reason nothing happens. Any ideas as to why Thanks Mark You won't be able to set it up that way. news.microsoft.com only allows select servers to use it as a feed source. You can try checking if your ISP is set up to receive those feeds and will allow you to add them as a peer. Otherwise, just use Outlook Express for your newsgroups. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Mark ...

Automatically setting User account and exchange server
Hi All, How would I go about setting up possibly a login script that can automatically set up users account name and exchange server. I haven't really come accross what I'm after yet and was hopeing someone here would have an answer. Basically when a new user or a user with an outbox already; logs onto a different (or there first) machine that when they open outlook 2003 they have the settings for the server hosting exchange and thier user name automatically entered so that they don't need to contact us to have it sorted out. Thanks! Microsoft uses text files with a .prf exten...

Re-direct without Exchange using Outlook XP?
Is there a way to have Outlook XP redirect email without owning Exchange? I want to buy a Blackberry, and I want to keep my existing email account. thanks in advancee. Please respond here to the group. My email address is not listed so as to escape at least some spam. :) What do you mean "re-direct?" You can use Rules Wizard to forward mail if that is what you mean. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having searched the archives and finding no answer, News <blarg@blarg.com> asked: | Is there a way to have Outlo...

Exchange Information Store Service cannot be stopped
Hi! We deployed Exchange 2003 + SP1 on Windows 2003 AD. Exchange cannot delivers internal mails now. The mails stay in the Local Delivery queue. The mails to be sent to external recipients could be deliveried, but with a time lag about 45 minutes. We tried to stop Exchange Information Store service. It could not be stopped. Also we cannot unmount private or public stores. If we try to unmount, ESM crashes. We deleted all messages in the Local Delivery queue. But this could not fix the problem. How can we solve the problem? Best Regards Mustafa What events do you see in the applicatio...

Importing MYSQL databases into CRM 3.0
Hi, Our website portal - an ecommerce store that offers consumer electronics are built on a MYSQL database. We will like to import our Website customer database into CRM 3.0 on a daily basis. Benefit, 1) When customers email us, we can check the history of its purchases (mapped to email address), time of purchases, date of shipment with a click of a button. Is this possible with Microsoft CRM 3.0; if so, is it a easy task that can be dealt with on a daily basis or can be scheduled and automated? thanks Alan Only possible by either buying a 3rd party solution like those from ...

Wierd Authentication Issue with Exchange 5.5
I am having a problem with Outlook where users whose machines are not members of our domain (or are members but are logged into the local machine) can not authenticate to get their email. They are prompted for their credentials and they are entered correctly, however after a few seconds they get an error message stating the following. The Logon credential supplied are incorrect. Make sure your username and domain are correct the type your password again. Other info: 1) They are using the Exchange Server Service, not Internet mail. 2) Their accounts are never getting locked out which indica...

IS doesn't start after installing exchange 2k3 in child domain
We are installing exchange 2003 in a child domain of a domain tree where an exchange 2003 server already exists in the parent domain. Netdiag and DCDiag were both performed before installation and indicated no problems with the general setup. The account used to install exchange has Full Exchange Administration rights at the org. level. The installation completes without any error messages, but it is impossible to start the information store. The store refuses to start and events 9153, 1121 and 5000 are then logged in the event log. Event 1121: Error 0x8004010f connecting to the Microsoft Ac...

Exchange/Active Directory and backing up the system
So we have exchange, We actually have it replicated to a lcr machine and we also do NT backups of the database every 3 hours. So we hav all our bases covered, or so we thought. Yesterday we had an issue with our Domain controller. Turns out, much to my surprise, that Exchange went down when I could not connect to the domain controller. So now I have a entirely new area of disaster recovery I need to understand and account for that I never knew existed. How do I protect my exchange server so that, in the event my domain controller were to die... I am covered? Thanks On Wed, ...

Customize Exchange 2003 OWA Custom Forms for Contacts
We have just created a custom form for contacts and would like OWA to show the custom fields in OWA. How do we do this? Thanks ...

Adding plain text to a database?
I have some instructions (about 2-3 paragraphs) that need to accompany one of my databases. Rather than sending them separately where they might get lost, how could I include them within the database file? Why not simply create a form and enter the text there. then you can add a button so the user can access the info when they need it. -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault "Cheese" wrote: > I have some instructions (about 2-3 paragraphs) that need to accompany one of > my databases. > > Rather than sending them separately where they might get lost, how co...

Enabling forwarding in Exchange 2007
In Exchange 2007, I have created a Mail contact with a custom SMTP address as "administrator@1.2.3.4" I have set client-side rule in Outlook, to forward all the incoming mails to this exterrnal SMTP server ("administrator@1.2.3.4" ). To this to work, I need to enable forwarding on Exchange 2007 server. Please let me know how to do it. I tried enabling the following, but that did not help. "Exchange Mgmt Console --> Expand Org Config --> Select Hub Transport --> Select Remote Domains Tab --> Right Click Default and Select Properties --> Select Message F...

Why clustered Exchanges always open new network connections with the real IPs?
Hi all the group; For the last two years I've worked in two different big companies dealing with Exchange 2003 in clustered environments (active/passive and active/active configurations) What I've noticed in both two companies is that, when E2K3 is clustered, new network connections ORIGINATED FROM EXCHANGE always appear with the physical IP address of the physical nodes, but not with the virtual IP address of the cluster group. I'll try to explain myself a llitle further: BACKENDS -------------- Physical node #1 Hostname : EXCHANGE1 Physical node #2 Hostname : EXCHANGE2 Virtua...

database schema
Hello, Just need an input /advice... what are the deliverables for a typical software development project for an external customer. is it a norm to give the database design schema to customer, if yes, then in which format. Regards I think you need to get a contract project manager in asap. You are guaranteed to get the wrong thing right (most popular game in project management unless you have sought complete clarity from your customer on what will make the project successful and detailed this information in a Business case. The database schema is usually part of th...

Force Apply of Mailbox Settings (Exchange 5.5 Std Edition)
I have change mailbox's primary user account to a user and it takes a long time before it identifies from the workstation side. For example, I have userA is viewing MailboxA. Then after a time, I want userB to view MailboxA by changing the Primary User Account of his Mailbox. I have check userB if he can view it but there is an error, permission not allowed. I have restart the userB's computer but it didn't work also. I have experience this before but what I did is I only wait for the time that it takes effect. Can I force apply the settings immediately? Hoping for your response. ...

Exchange 2003 OMA / Siemens S55
Hi all, Unfortunately Exchange 2003 OMA doens't seem to support my mobile (Siemens S55), not even after implementing the latest Device Update Pack (3). I already tried editing "machine.config" myself, but couldn't find any working settings. Anyuone have any experience with it? Thaks allot! Cheers, Sjoerd The reason that the Siemens S55 is not supported is that it is a WAP 1.x device. Exchange 2003 OMA supports WAP 2.0 and above so it is doubtful that it will ever be supported until Siemens upgrades its WAP browser on the phone. What is your experience on the phone? ...

Exchange 2003 mailbox size #2
How do I see a list of all mailboxes and how much space each recipient is using? Open Exchange System Manager | expand server | storage group | store | mailboxes. This info should be in the right pane. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "MikeO" <MikeO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC5BA040-1DA8-429B-9535-8680F2DA514B@microsoft.com... > How do I see a list of all mailboxes and how much space each recipient is > using? Just a little reminder to you, you can click on ex...

Exchange 2000 logging messages received & sent
Hello... I'm fairly new to Exchange 2000 and I need to figure out if it offers any way to log the messages received and the messages sent. I'm hoping for some sort of logging functionality like IIS has. I need to be able to programmatically get access to the log (txt, xml, specific APIs) and verify that a message was received by the server and to further verify that the message was sent via the server. Specific APIs would be the best, but I can also parse or do regular expressions on text/xml as well. Thanks in advance, Roger This information is stored in message tracking logs. I...