Exchange Database Recovery

Hello,

We are a small business with one Exchange 2003 Server.
The hard disk died on the server the other day and we
couldn't boot.  I put in a new disk and reloaded Windows
2003 and Exchange 2003.  Thankfully, several of us were
using Outlook 2003 with Cached Mode, so we simply backed
our email up and reloaded it into the newly restored
Exchange.  However, one user with several years worth of
critical email didn't have Cached Mode turned on for some
reason, so I'm trying to restore his email.

I was able to connect the damaged hard disk and copy the
Exchange database folders to the new hard disk.  I
created a Recovery Storage Group, but now I'm not sure
how to get the old database into the group.  When I
choose Add Database to Recover, it simply shows the
current mailbox store in the list.  I've tried adding it
anyway and then changing the paths to the database files,
but it won't allow that.  I've read the Knowledge Base
article but I seem to be missing something.  Any ideas?
0
anonymous (74722)

when you create an RSG, it is presumed that you will be restoring an older
version of the database...do you not have a tape or file backup to use?

"Tim Thomas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We are a small business with one Exchange 2003 Server.
> The hard disk died on the server the other day and we
> couldn't boot.  I put in a new disk and reloaded Windows
> 2003 and Exchange 2003.  Thankfully, several of us were
> using Outlook 2003 with Cached Mode, so we simply backed
> our email up and reloaded it into the newly restored
> Exchange.  However, one user with several years worth of
> critical email didn't have Cached Mode turned on for some
> reason, so I'm trying to restore his email.
>
> I was able to connect the damaged hard disk and copy the
> Exchange database folders to the new hard disk.  I
> created a Recovery Storage Group, but now I'm not sure
> how to get the old database into the group.  When I
> choose Add Database to Recover, it simply shows the
> current mailbox store in the list.  I've tried adding it
> anyway and then changing the paths to the database files,
> but it won't allow that.  I've read the Knowledge Base
> article but I seem to be missing something.  Any ideas?

0
susan7353 (1225)
5/17/2004 3:07:52 PM
Unfortunately no, we did not have a backup ... we just
have the actual databases that were in use.  Is there
another method that can be used to retrieve data from
them?

0
anonymous (74722)
5/17/2004 3:15:46 PM
have you looked at this article?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824126

> Unfortunately no, we did not have a backup ... we just
> have the actual databases that were in use.  Is there
> another method that can be used to retrieve data from
> them?

0
susan7353 (1225)
5/17/2004 3:21:29 PM
Yes, that was the article I was using, but I'm unsure
about some things.  For example, it says that a
prerequisite is that "The logical information in Active
Directory about the storage group and its mailboxes is
intact and unchanged".  I'm not sure if that applies to
me or not.  I know that the databases are intact, but the
only info currently in Active Directory is about the new
version of our Exchange database, not the one I'm trying
to restore.  I don't believe the section on modifying AD
attributes applies to me, as far as I can tell.  The
Recovery SG Override section doesn't seem to apply to me
either.  I'm wondering if this can be done!  Any other
thoughts?  Thank you for your time.

us;824126

>"Tim Thomas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
>> Unfortunately no, we did not have a backup ... we just
>> have the actual databases that were in use.  Is there
>> another method that can be used to retrieve data from
>> them?

0
anonymous (74722)
5/17/2004 3:36:56 PM
if you can't get this working on your production server, you can attempt
building a "recovery" server and/or you could look into Powercontrols from
ONTrack...when you resintalled Exchange, is everything exactly as it was
before?  Org name, administrative group names? database names?

> Yes, that was the article I was using, but I'm unsure
> about some things.  For example, it says that a
> prerequisite is that "The logical information in Active
> Directory about the storage group and its mailboxes is
> intact and unchanged".  I'm not sure if that applies to
> me or not.  I know that the databases are intact, but the
> only info currently in Active Directory is about the new
> version of our Exchange database, not the one I'm trying
> to restore.  I don't believe the section on modifying AD
> attributes applies to me, as far as I can tell.  The
> Recovery SG Override section doesn't seem to apply to me
> either.  I'm wondering if this can be done!  Any other
> thoughts?  Thank you for your time.

0
susan7353 (1225)
5/17/2004 3:45:23 PM
Yes, I kept everything the same so it would be easy to
recover.  We don't have a spare machine to use for a
server.  I'm unfamiliar with Powercontrols, is it
expensive?

I take it from this discussion that there isn't a simple,
straightforward Windows-based way to import the data back
in?

Thanks.

0
anonymous (74722)
5/17/2004 3:54:24 PM
the article I referenced indicated that it should not be a huge
problem...but I've never tried restoring to an RSG from an offline backup.
I've only done it with online backups, and it works great...
PowerControls is not inexpensive, but depending on how important it is to
get this mail back, it might be considered a bargain...

> Yes, I kept everything the same so it would be easy to
> recover.  We don't have a spare machine to use for a
> server.  I'm unfamiliar with Powercontrols, is it
> expensive?
>
> I take it from this discussion that there isn't a simple,
> straightforward Windows-based way to import the data back
> in?
>
> Thanks.

0
susan7353 (1225)
5/17/2004 4:17:15 PM
We probably won't be able to purchase the software ...
it's not crucial enough that the company would be willing
to spend a lot.  Thank you very much for your comments
and help.  I think my only solution at this point will be
finding someone who knows how to do an "offline"
restore.  My guess is that it involves some AD editing.
If you have any ideas on this I'd be greatly appreciative!

Thanks again.

0
anonymous (74722)
5/17/2004 5:24:07 PM
did you see this ?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296788#4
> We probably won't be able to purchase the software ...
> it's not crucial enough that the company would be willing
> to spend a lot.  Thank you very much for your comments
> and help.  I think my only solution at this point will be
> finding someone who knows how to do an "offline"
> restore.  My guess is that it involves some AD editing.
> If you have any ideas on this I'd be greatly appreciative!
>
> Thanks again.

0
susan7353 (1225)

Exchange Cluster

Exchange

Excel query of Access database
I have an excel workbook where I've queried a table in access. When I first setup the query, I did it through the get external data query wizard, browsed, found my access database (called database_010306.mdb) and selected my table. All was fine. Now, I am renaming my temporary named database (database_010306.mdb) to just database.mdb. So I've got to tell Excel the new filename. I thought I had it when I went to "edit query" in Excel, then went to "Microsoft Query", looked at the SQL code and changed the FROM statement to point to my new filename. When I closed Mic...

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

SQL 2005 express database monitoring
Can someone advise how to monitor SQL 2005 express database size? Thank you very much! Hi, You can use SQL Server Management Studio express to check the database size. "april" <april@123.com> wrote in message news:OpMOYt$gKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Can someone advise how to monitor SQL 2005 express database size? > > Thank you very much! hI Insert the result of below script into a monitoring table and compare over tome period SELECT @@SERVERNAME AS SqlServerName, db.name AS DatabaseName, SUM(CASE WHEN syf.g...

Exchange 2003 #5

Item level recovery of Hyper-V VMs without VT
Hi there, I have DPM 2010 running in a VM. I'd like to do item-level recovery of other VMs. DPM 2010 told me that I need to install the Hyper-V role... But this is obviously impossible as it's living in a VM itself. It'd be great if the final version of DPM 2010 supported item-level recovery without requiring hardware virtualization features. Simon DPM 2010 needs to mount VHDs in order to provide item-level recovery of VMs. This functionality is provided by Hyper-V role in Windows 2008 and hence Hyper-V role is needed by DPM 2010. But we hear your feedback and...

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

Creating a Database
I am the money manager for a Girl Scout troop and need some help creating a database that would keep track of registration dues (yearly), regular dues (weekly), when these dues are deposited, check written, with dates, check numbers and such. I want it to feed into a simple check book register look report but then have detailed reports by child on how much they have paid and when. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. If you have never created a database before, it is going to take you a couple of years of work (assuming you do this in your spare time) to figure out how t...

antigen on exchange #2

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...

Exchange 2007 RSG and Isinteg
We are running exchange 2007 on a windows 2008 server, both are fully patched. We backup with Backup Exec 12.5, again fully patched. All of our backups finish without any problems. Our problem; when i restore a database backup to a RSG and then try to restore a mailbox i recieve errors telling me that the maxium number of corrupted messages has been reached. i tried moving the limit up, but i have to move the limit up to 5000 before it works and then i only get a few emails not the complete contents of the mailbox. After a bit of research i found a few similar cases. These were resolv...

Restore Exchange...help!!!!
My 'broken' Exchange2003\win2003 server (not DC) had it's partitions labelled...'system' for C:\, 'Exchange' for D: and 'logs' for E:. How important is it I label the new Exchange server drives the same before the restore (I am not sure of the EXACT names!!!) Also my log files were all on drive D:\ (the only things on that drive) do I need to restore them too...they may not be exactly in sync with the other data being restored? Finally, what part of my 'Exchsvr' folder do I need to restore from backup? I think that may be a few days older tha...

emails retained in exchange 2003 queue
Hi to all, i have a ZyWall firewall (hardware) with a Turbo Card option installed. When i activate the anti-virus option in the firewall, i can receive emails, but all that i sent, do not go out, all off them stay in queue. When i deactivate that option, all the mails in queue, are sent. I ask my vendor for that problem, they test my firewall in their offices, but all it's ok. In my home, donsn't work. Must i change anything in my exchange ?? Best regards It sounds like your firewall is blocking outbound connections. You may need to configure exchange to use a SmartHost (your...