Exchange Crash -- all we have is the ispriv.edb file

Hello all --

A client of mine never did any exchange 2003 backups, but did copy over the
ispriv.edb file over to an external USB harddrive.  All we want to do is pull
the email out of that directory (8GB file) and put it into .pst files.  Then,
Ill reinstall Exchange, and open each person's mail box and copy the contents
of each .PST file back to the server.

My question is:  If I only have the ISPRIV.EDB file, how do I get mail out
of it ?  Is there some super cool easy to use tool for this?  ;-)

Any help appreciated!!

Sincerely,
Blake
0
Blake (32)

http://wm.quest.com/products/recoverymanagerexchange/

"Blake" <Blake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all --
>
> A client of mine never did any exchange 2003 backups, but did copy over
> the
> ispriv.edb file over to an external USB harddrive.  All we want to do is
> pull
> the email out of that directory (8GB file) and put it into .pst files.
> Then,
> Ill reinstall Exchange, and open each person's mail box and copy the
> contents
> of each .PST file back to the server.
>
> My question is:  If I only have the ISPRIV.EDB file, how do I get mail out
> of it ?  Is there some super cool easy to use tool for this?  ;-)
>
> Any help appreciated!!
>
> Sincerely,
> Blake

0
tfelts1 (344)
4/4/2005 4:58:47 PM
Thanks Tom --

I was actually hoping for a free tool from MS.  How would one manually
restore the priv.edb file and export the email into .pst's?

Thanks!

"Tom Felts" wrote:

> http://wm.quest.com/products/recoverymanagerexchange/
>

> "Blake" <Blake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all --
> >
> > A client of mine never did any exchange 2003 backups, but did copy over
> > the
> > ispriv.edb file over to an external USB harddrive.  All we want to do is
> > pull
> > the email out of that directory (8GB file) and put it into .pst files.
> > Then,
> > Ill reinstall Exchange, and open each person's mail box and copy the
> > contents
> > of each .PST file back to the server.
> >
> > My question is:  If I only have the ISPRIV.EDB file, how do I get mail out
> > of it ?  Is there some super cool easy to use tool for this?  ;-)
> >
> > Any help appreciated!!
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Blake

0
Blake (32)
4/4/2005 6:05:06 PM
With just the edb on Exchange 200x, with no .stm, you might as well just go
ahead and delete the .edb. The .edb and .stm MUST be kept together.

> Thanks Tom --
>
> I was actually hoping for a free tool from MS.  How would one manually
> restore the priv.edb file and export the email into .pst's?
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Tom Felts" wrote:
>
>> http://wm.quest.com/products/recoverymanagerexchange/
>>

>> "Blake" <Blake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all --
>> >
>> > A client of mine never did any exchange 2003 backups, but did copy over
>> > the
>> > ispriv.edb file over to an external USB harddrive.  All we want to do
>> > is
>> > pull
>> > the email out of that directory (8GB file) and put it into .pst files.
>> > Then,
>> > Ill reinstall Exchange, and open each person's mail box and copy the
>> > contents
>> > of each .PST file back to the server.
>> >
>> > My question is:  If I only have the ISPRIV.EDB file, how do I get mail
>> > out
>> > of it ?  Is there some super cool easy to use tool for this?  ;-)
>> >
>> > Any help appreciated!!
>> >
>> > Sincerely,
>> > Blake

0
ewoodrick (190)
4/6/2005 2:48:58 PM
Ed-

I have the whole MDBDATA folder (inc. the .STM)

"Ed Woodrick" wrote:

> With just the edb on Exchange 200x, with no .stm, you might as well just go
> ahead and delete the .edb. The .edb and .stm MUST be kept together.
>

> "Blake" <Blake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Tom --
> >
> > I was actually hoping for a free tool from MS.  How would one manually
> > restore the priv.edb file and export the email into .pst's?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "Tom Felts" wrote:
> >
> >> http://wm.quest.com/products/recoverymanagerexchange/
> >>

> >> "Blake" <Blake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Blake (32)
4/6/2005 6:27:03 PM
In that case, just follow the instructions in the Exchange Disaster Recovery
Guide for recovering the server. A lot easier than trying to suck stuff out
of the file.

> Ed-
>
> I have the whole MDBDATA folder (inc. the .STM)
>
> "Ed Woodrick" wrote:
>
>> With just the edb on Exchange 200x, with no .stm, you might as well just
>> go
>> ahead and delete the .edb. The .edb and .stm MUST be kept together.
>>

>> "Blake" <Blake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Tom --
>> >
>> > I was actually hoping for a free tool from MS.  How would one manually
>> > restore the priv.edb file and export the email into .pst's?
>> >
>> > Thanks!

0
ewoodrick (190)

Exchange Cluster

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

Exchange 2003 #5

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

recover mails from .bak file in ms outlook
Dear All I had some problem with MS Outlook (2003). I found that there was a problem with .PST file I tried to repair it with SCANPST.EXE. It repaired my OUTLOOK.PST file but many mails are missing. I had taken bakup of .PST file into .BAK file. Please guide me how can in recover my mails from .BAK file Thanks Vimal -- vimalrupera If you have a backup copy of your pst and you recover it, then you may well find the problem is also recovered. What format is your pst file? - If your pst is open in Outlook, select properties of the personal folders, Advanced, what is sh...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

CE6: Hive Registry on XIP ROM & RAM File System
Hi, The CE6 BSP from supplier supports ROM-Only file system, XIP, Hive-based Registry. It works fine on my board. But we are reuiqred to support ROM and RAM file system, XIP, Hive-based Registry. After some modifications, ROM and RAM file system is working now. All folders are in RAM, except Windows folder. But I have two problems, don't know how to solve them: 1. After system boots up, only My Device icon and Recyle Bin icon appears on desktop. IE icon, Word Pad icon, and other MS shortcut icons are not displayed. Program folder is empty. I remember I can see all the wince...

Reading Access Files on PDA
I have ordered a PDA a HP Ipaq H2210, and I want to transfer a database I have on my PC to my Ipaq. On my PC I use MS Access 2002. Access is not available on the Ipaq so I was wondering if any knew of any software that I can get that I will run on the Ipaq and can read/write Access 2002 files. Does anyone know of any such software that I can use? Ideally it should be freeware. I hope you can help. Thanks!! I do not know of any software that will run on the Ipaq that could read/write Access 2002 files. Perhaps, you may want to return the IPaq and find a PDA that does supports Access. &qu...

antigen on exchange #2

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...

Cannot Kill Excel File
Hi, Below is the Code that i am working: Dim objXL As Object, objWkb As Object, objSht As Object Set objXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") Set objWkb = objXL.Workbooks.Open([FileName]) Set objSht = objWkb.Worksheets("Sheet1") With objSht 'Code to modify the excel file Info End With objWkb.SaveAs strTempFile 'Save the Excel file as a Tempoary to prevent overwriting the orginial file objWkb.Close savechanges:=False objXL.Quit Set qdf = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("TempQuery", "SELECT T1.* FROM [Excel 8. 0;HDR=YES;IMEX=1;Data...

Exchange 2007 RSG and Isinteg
We are running exchange 2007 on a windows 2008 server, both are fully patched. We backup with Backup Exec 12.5, again fully patched. All of our backups finish without any problems. Our problem; when i restore a database backup to a RSG and then try to restore a mailbox i recieve errors telling me that the maxium number of corrupted messages has been reached. i tried moving the limit up, but i have to move the limit up to 5000 before it works and then i only get a few emails not the complete contents of the mailbox. After a bit of research i found a few similar cases. These were resolv...

Restore Exchange...help!!!!
My 'broken' Exchange2003\win2003 server (not DC) had it's partitions labelled...'system' for C:\, 'Exchange' for D: and 'logs' for E:. How important is it I label the new Exchange server drives the same before the restore (I am not sure of the EXACT names!!!) Also my log files were all on drive D:\ (the only things on that drive) do I need to restore them too...they may not be exactly in sync with the other data being restored? Finally, what part of my 'Exchsvr' folder do I need to restore from backup? I think that may be a few days older tha...

recover an excel file not saved
Is there anyway to recover any information from an unsaved excel file? Is there a temp file that information could be extracted? What version of excel? And how did excel close? If it's ex2002 and excel crashed, then maybe excel caught it. xl2002 has an autorecovery (not autosave) option. The next time you open excel, it looks to see if something extremely bad happened (crashes). If it finds that it did, then you'll be prompted to save the last version of the recovery file. Before xl2002, I think you're out of luck. (and with xl2002, if you just closed without saving, it ...