Exchange CPU 100% only when users access the server

I have a server that has these specs:

Win 2000 SP4 (fully updated)
Exchange 2000 SP3 (fully updated)
1.3 Ghz
1GB RAM

that is going hay-wire.  The server seems to run fine when no one is
accessing the server, but when the server starts receiving requests
from the users, the CPU pegs at 100%.  Another funny factor that is
strange is the database size.  The database keeps growing...  We
started from a freah defragged database this morning at ~7GB and now,
as I type this, the database has grown to be the size ~11.2GB.  I have
looked at the mailboxes and I dont see any apparent change in their
mailbox size.

Could I be looking at a hacker or virus maybe?

0
kberry (12)

How many users are on the server?

Do you have an Exchange antivirus product installed and running?  If so, try
disabling and/or removing it and see if the problem goes away.

Extraordinary growth in database size usually signals a mail loop.  Usually
such a loop would be caused by a looping message in one mailbox, so you
should see one extraordinarily large mailbox.  If you don't have Prohibit
Send and Receive limits set on all mailboxes--even large ones--you might
consider doing so.  On the other hand, you might just be seeing the result
of a change in user behavior, which could be caused by many reasons.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

<kberry@processbarron.com> wrote in message
>I have a server that has these specs:
>
> Win 2000 SP4 (fully updated)
> Exchange 2000 SP3 (fully updated)
> 1.3 Ghz
> 1GB RAM
>
> that is going hay-wire.  The server seems to run fine when no one is
> accessing the server, but when the server starts receiving requests
> from the users, the CPU pegs at 100%.  Another funny factor that is
> strange is the database size.  The database keeps growing...  We
> started from a freah defragged database this morning at ~7GB and now,
> as I type this, the database has grown to be the size ~11.2GB.  I have
> looked at the mailboxes and I dont see any apparent change in their
> mailbox size.
>
> Could I be looking at a hacker or virus maybe?

0
curspice6401 (3487)

DPM 2007 SP1 , Server 2008 R2 , Hyper-V
When creating a protection group, I select my hyper-v server but can only see the dpmdb , no guests My DPM is installed on the hyper-V server What am I doing wrong ? Before making the hyper-v server a dpm server, i could see the vm's from my other DPM 2007 SP1 server By default, you can only backup DPMDB from the DPM server. This is by design. Here is the info: http://santhoshsivarajan.blogspot.com/2009/10/local-data-protection-on-dpm-server.html You can enable the local data protection using the following cmdlet: Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerName servername -A...

Exchange Cluster

MDE in Access 2003
My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office XP. I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created with Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot open the MDE file. They receive an error that says something like "file is incorrect format." (And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing reference to web components that impedes the database from executing formulas and it gives an error message. In order to check-off the missing reference, I have to open the data...

ADSL - WIFI
NETWORK: Conexant ADSL SOHO Router 4 Port Switch. DHCP=10.0.0.3 to 6, Fixed IP of 10.0.0.2 3Com WiFi 11b & 54g Fixed IP of 10.0.0.1, Currently No DHCP, No WEP, MAC Address selection SET to Users. ESSID not broadcasted. PC(1) Toshiba Satellite Pro - LAN 10/100 = IP Auto, DNS Fixed PROXY set & WiFi 54g PCMCIA (Home Only) Currently IP=10.0.0.5,DNS=10.0.0.2 PC(2) Toshiba Portege - LAN 10/100 = IP Auto, DNS Auto & Built in 11b WiFi = IP Auto, DNS Auto. Both XP Pro PCs belong to professionals set up on different Domains who only want to get wireless internet access not local network. DI...

Configure regional settings and language from access VBA
Hi all i build automation in access that updates the data base one of the problem i bumped is that if the regional setting are on other language beside english it will raise an error indicating on the characters is there an option to stablize the automation to the relevant the language that the windows use ((for example i had problem when the language in the regional language settings was on german ...

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

New user profile cannot access CRM
Howdy, I had an issue with my windows/domain profile so I wiped it out and created me a new one, on the same machine. Now CRM isn't showing up at all. What's the deal? I can't find it Add/remove programs to reinstall it. The C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM folder is still there with all of the DLLs, and I tried adding crmaddin.dll to Outlook but that just crashed it. How do I get it back, short of manually uninstalling it and from MSDE? Thanks, David Lozzi dlozzi@(remove)delphi-ts.com The problem is, when you wiped out your profile, you most likely also wiped out the CR...

User win32 dll
Hi I've an MFC application that has to call the functions of a win32 dll. I have the dll and its header file containing functions headers and lib file. How can I do so. Regards Usman > I've an MFC application that has to call the functions of a win32 dll. I > have the dll and its header file containing functions headers and lib file. > How can I do so. You just need to link against the .lib file. What exactly is that you are not able to do? --- Ajay There's a function in the Dll that I've to use i.e MyDllFunction(unsinged int) In my MFC application, I...

Running SQL SELECT statements in Access runtime
[Access 2003] I have a number of applications deployed to clients that have only Access runtime throughout the organization. In all cases, I have remote access to their systems, since I also provide IT support. All are split FE/BE implementations. Occasionally, a customer will need a quick, one-time query or report, or I need to do a query remotely to identify a data anomaly. Since I cannot run a query directly in Access runtime without embedding it in a form, I have (at least) two choices (leaving out the option, for the moment, of deploying a full copy of Access to the se...

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

Win 7 and Too Many Users
Most of our boxes are XP, but a couple of them are Win 7. Also, the XP boxes have Access xp (2002) installed, but the Win 7 boxes have Access 2003. Problem: when a user on Win 7 opens an access program, all of the xp users then get a "Too many users" error when they attempt to open the same access program. It only takes one Win 7 user to kill all attempts by xp users to open a file. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem, or perhaps have more information about what may be causing it? Thanks in advance for any help. Fred That sounds like a permissions...

access denied on my PST just brun to CD-ROM
Dear, My Outlook 2003 can't open the PST from the CD-ROM disc with prompt "Access Denied". I was archive the email to the file (not burning the primary PST). I made a backup to the CD-ROM disc. I wanna make a test with the file burn... I can't read. I was restart the Computer without open Outlook then Burn. However I still got this message. -david you need to copy the pst back to the hard drive and remove the read only flag. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart ...

Exchange 2003 #5

Linking Visio 2003 Professional to Access 2003 Professional
I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now cannot find the site. So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and field. Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc. What I want to do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes. I also want it to display the various information about each item (serial number, asset number, name, type, etc.). Any help would be appreciated. you might che...

Can not access to MS CRM from a distant machine
Hello, I ve tried to access to the CRM from the browser of a distant machine (the domain controller) then windows display the authentication form I log on with the administrator account but it fails and the browser is closed . I should mention that I ve added the CRM Site as a trusted site . What Shall I do to cure this? Is there a security confoguration in the CRM Site?? Hi Ahmed, You should first check in InetMgr (IIS Manager) to see if you have given any port # during the installation by right clicking Microsoft CRM web site and choosing properties. If it is any port other than 8...

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

SQL Server 2008
Hi: I realize that these newsgroups are mostly for technical discussions. So, if it's more appropriate to point me to another site for answers to the questions that I'm about to ask, then please do so. I just learned that there is going to be a SQL Server 2008. I am a certified DBA (MCITP) for SQL Server 2005. Will there be an exam upgrade path from 2005 to 2008? Does anyone out there have any certification information for 2008, even though 2008 is not out yet? Will the SQL Server 2005 MCITP certification expire anytime soon? More importantly, will there be compatibility ...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers