Exchange Configuration issue

Hi,
We have just installed a network for a customer consisting of a windows
2003 domain split over two sites. The sites are linked by a VPN with
decent bandwidth (4MB up 1MB down at each end). In each site we have an
exchange server running Exchange Server 2003 SP2. In the main site the
Exchange server runs exchange only and nothing else, in the branch
office the Exchange server is also a DC. The main site has about 60
users and the remote site about 20 users. The MX record for the domain
is registered to the main site so all mail arrives there first and is
then forwarded on to the branch if needed. The problem that we are
having is that the mail queue from the main exchange server to the
branch is frequently building up to high levels (say 100 mails) which
means that branch users are receiving no mail. The only way that we
have been able to clear the queue is to restart the servers - the queue
then disapears and mail is delivered. We have increased logging on the
exchange server and are getting quite a few of the following errors.


Error: 7010 - This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1,
connection #68. The client at "81.xxx.xxx.xxx" sent a "rcpt" command,
and the SMTP server responded with "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.co.uk  ". The full command sent was "rcpt TO:
<xxxxxxx@xxxxxx.co.uk>".  This will probably cause the connection to
fail.


Error: 7004 - This is an SMTP protocol error log for virtual server ID
1, connection #56. The remote host "195.xxx.xxx.xxx", responded to the
SMTP command "rcpt" with "550 not local host xxxxxxxxxx.biz, not a
gateway  ". The full command sent was "RCPT TO:<xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx.biz>
".  This will probably cause the connection to fail.

There are also messages waiting to be sent to other servers which will
not move from there own queue. Is this relevant?

I've seen errors like this in other questions on this site but can't
relate them to the problem we are having. Are these errors anything to
do with the mail queue build up, if not then what do you think may be
causing it? How do we fix it? Any help would be thank fully received as
I'm under pressure to get this fixed.

Thank You

0
4/18/2006 8:56:45 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 1 followers. Follow

3 Replies
384 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 57

Do you have any problems with internal email or is it just external mail? 
Are the servers in the same admin group but different routing groups? How is 
the routing group connector configured? How does outbound mail flow? Any 
issues here?

Nue
<jasonjscott@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1145393805.578951.245470@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
> We have just installed a network for a customer consisting of a windows
> 2003 domain split over two sites. The sites are linked by a VPN with
> decent bandwidth (4MB up 1MB down at each end). In each site we have an
> exchange server running Exchange Server 2003 SP2. In the main site the
> Exchange server runs exchange only and nothing else, in the branch
> office the Exchange server is also a DC. The main site has about 60
> users and the remote site about 20 users. The MX record for the domain
> is registered to the main site so all mail arrives there first and is
> then forwarded on to the branch if needed. The problem that we are
> having is that the mail queue from the main exchange server to the
> branch is frequently building up to high levels (say 100 mails) which
> means that branch users are receiving no mail. The only way that we
> have been able to clear the queue is to restart the servers - the queue
> then disapears and mail is delivered. We have increased logging on the
> exchange server and are getting quite a few of the following errors.
>
>
> Error: 7010 - This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1,
> connection #68. The client at "81.xxx.xxx.xxx" sent a "rcpt" command,
> and the SMTP server responded with "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
> xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.co.uk  ". The full command sent was "rcpt TO:
> <xxxxxxx@xxxxxx.co.uk>".  This will probably cause the connection to
> fail.
>
>
> Error: 7004 - This is an SMTP protocol error log for virtual server ID
> 1, connection #56. The remote host "195.xxx.xxx.xxx", responded to the
> SMTP command "rcpt" with "550 not local host xxxxxxxxxx.biz, not a
> gateway  ". The full command sent was "RCPT TO:<xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx.biz>
> ".  This will probably cause the connection to fail.
>
> There are also messages waiting to be sent to other servers which will
> not move from there own queue. Is this relevant?
>
> I've seen errors like this in other questions on this site but can't
> relate them to the problem we are having. Are these errors anything to
> do with the mail queue build up, if not then what do you think may be
> causing it? How do we fix it? Any help would be thank fully received as
> I'm under pressure to get this fixed.
>
> Thank You
> 


0
imaneophyte (3005)
4/18/2006 10:39:34 PM
All Mail is just sitting in all queue's, to resolve the issue we find that 
restarting the two servers seems to resolve the issue but restarting the 
services does not. But then the problem returns at a later point.

both servers are in the same admin group, no routing groups are setup, 
routing group connector is not configured. does this need to be.?

Outbound mail flows out from each site both theses sites have MX records set 
at the ISP. there is a VPN Tunnel set between each site.

any ideas?

Jason 



  





 

"Nuevo" wrote:

> Do you have any problems with internal email or is it just external mail? 
> Are the servers in the same admin group but different routing groups? How is 
> the routing group connector configured? How does outbound mail flow? Any 
> issues here?
> 
> Nue
> <jasonjscott@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:1145393805.578951.245470@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi,
> > We have just installed a network for a customer consisting of a windows
> > 2003 domain split over two sites. The sites are linked by a VPN with
> > decent bandwidth (4MB up 1MB down at each end). In each site we have an
> > exchange server running Exchange Server 2003 SP2. In the main site the
> > Exchange server runs exchange only and nothing else, in the branch
> > office the Exchange server is also a DC. The main site has about 60
> > users and the remote site about 20 users. The MX record for the domain
> > is registered to the main site so all mail arrives there first and is
> > then forwarded on to the branch if needed. The problem that we are
> > having is that the mail queue from the main exchange server to the
> > branch is frequently building up to high levels (say 100 mails) which
> > means that branch users are receiving no mail. The only way that we
> > have been able to clear the queue is to restart the servers - the queue
> > then disapears and mail is delivered. We have increased logging on the
> > exchange server and are getting quite a few of the following errors.
> >
> >
> > Error: 7010 - This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1,
> > connection #68. The client at "81.xxx.xxx.xxx" sent a "rcpt" command,
> > and the SMTP server responded with "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
> > xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.co.uk  ". The full command sent was "rcpt TO:
> > <xxxxxxx@xxxxxx.co.uk>".  This will probably cause the connection to
> > fail.
> >
> >
> > Error: 7004 - This is an SMTP protocol error log for virtual server ID
> > 1, connection #56. The remote host "195.xxx.xxx.xxx", responded to the
> > SMTP command "rcpt" with "550 not local host xxxxxxxxxx.biz, not a
> > gateway  ". The full command sent was "RCPT TO:<xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx.biz>
> > ".  This will probably cause the connection to fail.
> >
> > There are also messages waiting to be sent to other servers which will
> > not move from there own queue. Is this relevant?
> >
> > I've seen errors like this in other questions on this site but can't
> > relate them to the problem we are having. Are these errors anything to
> > do with the mail queue build up, if not then what do you think may be
> > causing it? How do we fix it? Any help would be thank fully received as
> > I'm under pressure to get this fixed.
> >
> > Thank You
> > 
> 
> 
> 
0
4/19/2006 10:23:01 AM
Try reading through this article if you have not seen it before, it may 
help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843106/en-us

Nue
"madman2501" <madman2501@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:5C59C67E-29BD-4EDD-B0EE-58D2CA28F7B8@microsoft.com...
> All Mail is just sitting in all queue's, to resolve the issue we find that
> restarting the two servers seems to resolve the issue but restarting the
> services does not. But then the problem returns at a later point.
>
> both servers are in the same admin group, no routing groups are setup,
> routing group connector is not configured. does this need to be.?
>
> Outbound mail flows out from each site both theses sites have MX records 
> set
> at the ISP. there is a VPN Tunnel set between each site.
>
> any ideas?
>
> Jason
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Nuevo" wrote:
>
>> Do you have any problems with internal email or is it just external mail?
>> Are the servers in the same admin group but different routing groups? How 
>> is
>> the routing group connector configured? How does outbound mail flow? Any
>> issues here?
>>
>> Nue
>> <jasonjscott@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1145393805.578951.245470@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>> > Hi,
>> > We have just installed a network for a customer consisting of a windows
>> > 2003 domain split over two sites. The sites are linked by a VPN with
>> > decent bandwidth (4MB up 1MB down at each end). In each site we have an
>> > exchange server running Exchange Server 2003 SP2. In the main site the
>> > Exchange server runs exchange only and nothing else, in the branch
>> > office the Exchange server is also a DC. The main site has about 60
>> > users and the remote site about 20 users. The MX record for the domain
>> > is registered to the main site so all mail arrives there first and is
>> > then forwarded on to the branch if needed. The problem that we are
>> > having is that the mail queue from the main exchange server to the
>> > branch is frequently building up to high levels (say 100 mails) which
>> > means that branch users are receiving no mail. The only way that we
>> > have been able to clear the queue is to restart the servers - the queue
>> > then disapears and mail is delivered. We have increased logging on the
>> > exchange server and are getting quite a few of the following errors.
>> >
>> >
>> > Error: 7010 - This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1,
>> > connection #68. The client at "81.xxx.xxx.xxx" sent a "rcpt" command,
>> > and the SMTP server responded with "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
>> > xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.co.uk  ". The full command sent was "rcpt TO:
>> > <xxxxxxx@xxxxxx.co.uk>".  This will probably cause the connection to
>> > fail.
>> >
>> >
>> > Error: 7004 - This is an SMTP protocol error log for virtual server ID
>> > 1, connection #56. The remote host "195.xxx.xxx.xxx", responded to the
>> > SMTP command "rcpt" with "550 not local host xxxxxxxxxx.biz, not a
>> > gateway  ". The full command sent was "RCPT TO:<xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx.biz>
>> > ".  This will probably cause the connection to fail.
>> >
>> > There are also messages waiting to be sent to other servers which will
>> > not move from there own queue. Is this relevant?
>> >
>> > I've seen errors like this in other questions on this site but can't
>> > relate them to the problem we are having. Are these errors anything to
>> > do with the mail queue build up, if not then what do you think may be
>> > causing it? How do we fix it? Any help would be thank fully received as
>> > I'm under pressure to get this fixed.
>> >
>> > Thank You
>> >
>>
>>
>>
> 


0
imaneophyte (3005)
4/19/2006 12:09:40 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Exchange Cluster
I am looking for information regarding deployment of an Exchange Cluster in a Blade configuration. Thanks Ken First and formost, make sure your hardware is on the HCL. Support would only be "best effort" if it is not. The following link will get you to the Deploying Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Clusters: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/default.mspx Exchange 2003 Clusters cna be found in the Exchange 2003 Deploymnet Guide at the following location: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx -- Nicholas ...

Configure regional settings and language from access VBA
Hi all i build automation in access that updates the data base one of the problem i bumped is that if the regional setting are on other language beside english it will raise an error indicating on the characters is there an option to stablize the automation to the relevant the language that the windows use ((for example i had problem when the language in the regional language settings was on german ...

Exchange
In Outlook 2007: 1. Draft folder is visible but contents are not! (i can see the number of message but not the messages) 2. Notes folder is NOT visible. (funny thing is that if i make a shortuct i can see it) In BOTH cases all is OK in OWA. Evan Camilleri http://www.holistic.com.mt http://www.dotnetmushroom.com http://www.mobilesalesman.com 1) Perhaps you have a filter set to your view? Verify that the view has been set to "Sent To" and reset it if necessary. 2) Does it show when you switch to the Notes Navigation or use the Folder List Navigation to see all your folders ...

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003
Hello, I am having troubling applying Exchange 2003 Server SP 2. The error message says I need to uninstall Intelligent Message Filtering BEFORE I install SP2. I try to uninstall IMF and it will not uninstall. The error message says "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Please contact your support personnel or package vendor. .....A Fatal error during installation." I've also reinstalled the original install of IMF and still the same issues. Any thoughts? Thanks, Randy Hughes Reinstall IM...

restore public folder to Exchange 2003 server from backup copy of the Exchange 5.5 server
Hi, Recently a user deleted a folder witnin the Public Folders on the Exchange 2003 server. When I looked at a backup copy from the backup tape, I could not find the pub1.edb file in the MDBDATA folder. I am using Backup Exec. 8.6. Prior to this, I migrated to Exchange 2003 from Exchage 5.5 and changed my Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. I made a copy of the Exchange 5.5 pub1.edb onto an external hard drive,with its utility. Can i use this copy of the pub1.edb for the existing pub1.edb I have for the Public Folders? If so, what are the steps that I would need to do in performing this act...

Intermittant connection with Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2005
I have a problem affecting just one of our clients. About a third of the messages get through, and about 2 thirds are dropped. We use Exchange Server 2005 and Outlook 2003. The client side is using Microsoft Frontbridge. If we send mail using Outlook Web Access or Evolution, all of the mail is delivered. Can someone tell me why only some of our messages sent via Outlook get delivered while all messages delivered by OWA or Evolution get through? Thanks, Rick ...

Pulling email from exchange server with an exchange account
Hello, I was running a 2003 exchange server but got tired of dealing with the spam, ndr and the rest. I had setup the accounts for everyone including myself. Basically I had in outlook my account setup as an exchange account. Now that our corporate mail is hosted elsewhere I need to pull off my email from my exchange account. I have created POP accounts while using the the IP address for pop and smtp so everything is local when asking to pull. I have also went through an archive trying to get messages to save on my PC so I can then use as PST file, with no success. I have also tried looking f...

Exchange / POP3
In short: How does one go about having exchange POP email for users whom have 3rd party POP 3 server accounts? Expanded Reason: I have an exchange server setup here and I would like to get email to my users from a 3rd party POP3 account. I would normally just change MX records and point to my exchange server and have the email go right to the exchange server, but this ISP will not allow me to receive inbound SMTP. So as it stands; I can send email from my exchange server using my internet connection with out any issues, it's the receiving part that has me hung up, and if I co...

virus attacks against Exchange
I've noticed over the last month that every Sunday morning at 5:45 a.m. our Exchange server sends a CPU warning. When I check the app event log for that date/time there is a *huge* amount of virus detections by our real time virus monitor . What exactly is going on here and how might I prevent this from continuing to happen ? thanks sounds like you have an "on demand" scan of your mailbox store scheduled for this time frame...have you checked? look in the configuration of your Exchange AV... "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message news:uZcfIwKpEHA.33...

Exchange 2003 #5
How many clients/users will Exchange 2003 support? I have heard that it can support up to 10,000 users. Is this correct? "James" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How many clients/users will Exchange 2003 support? I have heard that it can support up to 10,000 users. Is this correct? How long is a piece of string? Define the hardware platform. Define your expectations for perdformance. Define your backup/restore hardware and strategy. Define your expectations for restore/recovery time. The number of mailboxes on a server is meanngless without some context. wi...

Automatic Outlook and Outlook express Configuration
Hello, I am looking for a script or an exe file that will ask the users their username, domain, and the email program they are using, delete the old configuration and configure their outlook/outlook express accounts automatically. The scripts I found do not change the incoming and outgoing mail ports (since we use gmail I need to change them). Do you know of any script, .exe file that I can send the users to configure their own accounts? Thank you in advance. Ozgur Ozdemircili ...

Microsoft Exchange #3
When setting up Outlook I clicked on Microsoft Exhange instead of POP3. Now it is stuck wanting Microsoft Exchange Server. How do I get rid of this so I can sign up under POP3. I deleted Office 2003 and reinstalled and it is still there. Thank You Maggi Control Panel->Mail Icon. Create a new Profile using the Profiles = button and configure it to use your POP3 account. Then go back and = delete the Exchange account from the Accounts button. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal acco...

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software
Can anyone provide any good help-desk softawre that integrates well with Exchange? Preferably open-source (i.e. FREE :) ) Thanks On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:04:03 -0700, circulent <circulent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anyone provide any good help-desk softawre that integrates well with >Exchange? Preferably open-source (i.e. FREE :) ) > >Thanks You get what you pay for. MOM and its future SCOM 2007 and the helpdesk features of that 2007 product are certainly good products to name just one. As an actionpack subscriber we get MOM Workgroup Edition. does that have...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000
Hi, we are considering to migrate our single windows NT domain to windows 2000, then to upgrade the current exchange 5.5 into Exchange 2000 which is currently in the windows 2000 member server within this NT domain. I know I have one option: * upgrade the PDC to windows 2000 domain control and then exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000. what is the risk here? * my question here is: where could I find the detail steps? I am thinking if I have another option which is: * Migrate the PDC to windows 2000 domain. * Install a saparated exchange 2000 server * move the mail box from exch...

Problems between two Exchange Servers
At my Company we are planning to replace an existing exchange 2000 server (EXS1 NT Pack 4.0 Exchange Sp3) with a new server called (EXS2 NT Pack 4, No Service Pack). So we configured an additional server and added to our primary Site. We moved a few mailboxes to the new server and seem to get outside mail but I see that all the mail sent locally is not been delivered and is stuck in the Queue that is pointing to the new server by name exs2.mydomain.com. I tried to force a connection but it doesnt want send the mail. Please help Gary Vidal Is there more than one routing group? -- reg...

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003
I setup protection for Exchange Server 2003 SP2 running on Win2K3 SP2. There are four information storage groups. I am protecting the server using DPM 2010 RC. All of the prerequisite steps were performed successfully. Two of the info storage groups (the small ones - 30GB) backup successfully. The two large info storage groups (125GB each) fail with the following alert message: DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy38\Exchsvr\MdbData\support\Support (ServerName)\Support.edb on ServerName.domain.com (ID 2033 Detai...

Exchange ignores Outlooks text only setting
we are running excg5.5 sp4, on nt4.0 sp6. we are using office 98, and 2000. The problem we are having is Exchange ignores Outlooks text only setting and send both text and html mime encoded messages. On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 05:55:01 -0700, "mikee" <mikee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >we are running excg5.5 sp4, on nt4.0 sp6. we are using office 98, and 2000. >The problem we are having is Exchange ignores Outlooks text only setting and >send both text and html mime encoded messages. What ticks have you got on the Internet Mail tab > Advanced Options of the I...

antigen on exchange #2
HI All, This question regarding antigen software recently we installed in our exchange server. Every thing has gone fine, when I test adding some words to filters are not working. By default filtering has in enabled the State. What I configuration I have to do. I did not change any configurations. Thanks in advance, Shiva. ...

domain added then removed from exchange but emails still route to exchange ?
Hi, Was wondering if someone can explain this: added external domainA to accepted domains added domainA mail address to users mailbox (mx was not changed) sent email from mailbox/account/domainB (hosted on exchange server) to domainA , arrived in users mailbox on exchange as expected removed domainA from accepted domains removed domainA email address from users mailbox to domainA , arrived in users mailbox on exchange as expected, arrived in users mailbox, this was not expected. When using Outlook (domainB exchange accounts) and entering the email address user@domainA.co...

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...

Issue with Local Machine Zone Lockdown and IE's WebBrowser component
Hello... Any help will be deeply appreciated: The new Local Machine Zone Lockdown does great preventing potentially harmfull local content from running inside IE. For developers who need to see ther pages locally before posting them to a production environment there are a couple of tricks to circunvent this: that is, renaming the files to .HTA or using the "save from url" comment (i.e. <!-- saved from url=(0023)http://www.contoso.com/ -->). However, there is one scenario in which none of these will work: I have one activeX control that runs inside IE, actually an IE toolbar...

Page Number Issues
I have a 50 page booklet in Publisher and I want to add page numbers to it. Problem: I want page 1 to begin printing on page 4. First three pages are forward, dedication, title page etc. Can I start page one on a page other than one without manually numbering each page? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from ���MS�Publisher��� <donotknock@nobodyhome.com>... > Ed and what is that going to do for you? I just tested it Insert 100 pages into a blank publication Insert > Section Check "Start a new section with this page" and "...

Exchange 2007 RSG and Isinteg
We are running exchange 2007 on a windows 2008 server, both are fully patched. We backup with Backup Exec 12.5, again fully patched. All of our backups finish without any problems. Our problem; when i restore a database backup to a RSG and then try to restore a mailbox i recieve errors telling me that the maxium number of corrupted messages has been reached. i tried moving the limit up, but i have to move the limit up to 5000 before it works and then i only get a few emails not the complete contents of the mailbox. After a bit of research i found a few similar cases. These were resolv...

Restore Exchange...help!!!!
My 'broken' Exchange2003\win2003 server (not DC) had it's partitions labelled...'system' for C:\, 'Exchange' for D: and 'logs' for E:. How important is it I label the new Exchange server drives the same before the restore (I am not sure of the EXACT names!!!) Also my log files were all on drive D:\ (the only things on that drive) do I need to restore them too...they may not be exactly in sync with the other data being restored? Finally, what part of my 'Exchsvr' folder do I need to restore from backup? I think that may be a few days older tha...

Re-configure or delete account that does not work
Hello, I started to set up an Outlook e-mail account linked to a godaddy.com e-mail account. By mistake, I followed godaddy's instructions for accessing a Microsoft Exchange e-mail account/address (don't ask -- I was distracted.) Now, when I try to bring up Outlook, it asks for login info for the godaddy account, which does not work. godaddy confirms that it will not, because I have no Exchange server on my end (I think). I tried uninstalling Office & rebooting, but when I reinstall Office, same problem. I tried uninstalling Office, System Restore well ...