Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem

Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item
for January 20, 2004.  Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item
experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when
accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook
use.  This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002.  Because the item can not
be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted.  Is there a way to
delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data
store?  Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization problem
so the item can be accessed and deleted?  Thanks.
  Don Williams

Have you tried connecting with OWA?

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

0
anonymous (74722)
12/19/2003 4:00:02 PM
Yes.  Pegs the OWA server at 100% utilization and no updates are sent to the
OWA client.

"Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried connecting with OWA?
>
> Patrick Rouse
> Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

have you tried running Outlook with the /cleanreminders  or /cleanfreebusy
switches?

"Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Yes.  Pegs the OWA server at 100% utilization and no updates are sent to
the
> OWA client.
>
> "Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > Have you tried connecting with OWA?
> >
> > Patrick Rouse
> > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

0
susan7353 (1225)
12/19/2003 4:34:23 PM
Thanks.  Tried but it did not work.  Outlook client hits 100% CPU util and
dies.

"Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> have you tried running Outlook with the /cleanreminders  or /cleanfreebusy
> switches?
>
> "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Yes.  Pegs the OWA server at 100% utilization and no updates are sent to
> the
> > OWA client.
> >
> > "Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > Have you tried connecting with OWA?
> > >
> > > Patrick Rouse
> > > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

have you tried exporting the entire calendar to a pst file?  or using
exmerge to archive the entire mailbox contents to a pst file?

"Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> have you tried running Outlook with the /cleanreminders  or /cleanfreebusy
> switches?
>
> "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Yes.  Pegs the OWA server at 100% utilization and no updates are sent to
> the
> > OWA client.
> >
> > "Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > Have you tried connecting with OWA?
> > >
> > > Patrick Rouse
> > > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

0
susan7353 (1225)
12/19/2003 6:22:04 PM
There's also a utility called MDBVU32.exe to view & modify
a mailbox w/o Outlook, but avoid it because there's not
good (IMHO) documentation and it's kinda confusing, but it
may be what you need.

Calling PSS might not be a bad idea either.

Have you tried exporting one of the mailboxes to PST,
delete the calendar item, then import back to IS?  Not a
pleasant thing to do but worth a try.

wrote in message
>> > Yes.  Pegs the OWA server at 100% utilization and no
updates are sent to
>> the
>> > OWA client.
>> >
>> > "Patrick Rouse [MVP]"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message

0
anonymous (74722)
12/19/2003 6:49:51 PM
Any access of the calendar data appears to cause outlook to stop responding.
I have not tried exmerge.  Assuming it is possible, what is the downside
(other than loosing calendar data) of attempting to delete the entire
calendar folder?  From one of the Q articles they made a reference to
Outlook creating a new, empty calendar folder if one did not exist.

> have you tried exporting the entire calendar to a pst file?  or using
> exmerge to archive the entire mailbox contents to a pst file?
>
> "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > have you tried running Outlook with the /cleanreminders  or
/cleanfreebusy
> > switches?
> >
> > "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes.  Pegs the OWA server at 100% utilization and no updates are sent
> > the
> > > OWA client.
> > >
> > > "Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message

what version of Outlook are you using?  do you possibly have a pc somewhere
you could intall the old Exchange client on, and try to delete the item that
you suspect is corrupt there?  it might be worth a shot...otherwise, I would
use exmerge to completely archive the entire mailbox, at which point,
nothing should be left in it...then you can selectively import the data from
the pst file...you might need to do it one sub-folder at a time, omitting
the calendar...

> Any access of the calendar data appears to cause outlook to stop
responding.
> I have not tried exmerge.  Assuming it is possible, what is the downside
> (other than loosing calendar data) of attempting to delete the entire
> calendar folder?  From one of the Q articles they made a reference to
> Outlook creating a new, empty calendar folder if one did not exist.
>
> "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > have you tried exporting the entire calendar to a pst file?  or using
> > exmerge to archive the entire mailbox contents to a pst file?
> >
> > "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > have you tried running Outlook with the /cleanreminders  or
> /cleanfreebusy
> > > switches?
> > >
> > > "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > the

> > > message

0
susan7353 (1225)
12/19/2003 9:48:30 PM
Hi Don,

we had this happening to us last week. Below is the advice I recieved in
another N.G., ms public.outlook.calendaring.
It worked perfectly for us, took me half an hour to find and remove the
corrupted item, without having to worry about losing data.
Maybe this will work for you as well?

----------
Probably a corrupt meeting in the calendar. I have found that
it is usually in a recurring appointment that has gone bad during
the week of the freeze (when did the freeze start?)

1) Open the Outlook but do not try to open the calendar.

2) Create a New folder (Calendar Test)

3) Do an advanced find on the old calendar and sort events
    by recurrence.

    - Press F3
    - Change the Look For: text box to Appointments and Meetings
    - Click on the Advanced tab
    - Click Field
    - Select All Appointment fields
    - Select Recurring
    - Condition: equals
    - Value: Yes
    - Click the Add to List button
    - Click Find Now

Drop and drag from advanced find listed events one at a time to
the new calendar, when you get to the corrupt item it will give
you an error message or it will hang. (delete this item)

Or if it is not a recurring (which our's always are) you could
perform the find for all and do the same as above...

Move all your calendar items from Calendar Test folder back to
original calendar (these are previously dragged over items).

--
Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]

--------------------

Success,
Sjef

"Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Any access of the calendar data appears to cause outlook to stop
responding.
> I have not tried exmerge.  Assuming it is possible, what is the downside
> (other than loosing calendar data) of attempting to delete the entire
> calendar folder?  From one of the Q articles they made a reference to
> Outlook creating a new, empty calendar folder if one did not exist.
>
> "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > have you tried exporting the entire calendar to a pst file?  or using
> > exmerge to archive the entire mailbox contents to a pst file?
> >
> > "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > have you tried running Outlook with the /cleanreminders  or
> /cleanfreebusy
> > > switches?
> > >
> > > "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > the

> > > message

0
f6060 (5)
12/20/2003 11:41:04 AM
That fixed it!  Thank you!
  Don Williams

"Spie" <f@ke.all> wrote in message
> Hi Don,
>
> we had this happening to us last week. Below is the advice I recieved in
> another N.G., ms public.outlook.calendaring.
> It worked perfectly for us, took me half an hour to find and remove the
> corrupted item, without having to worry about losing data.
> Maybe this will work for you as well?
>
> ----------
> Probably a corrupt meeting in the calendar. I have found that
> it is usually in a recurring appointment that has gone bad during
> the week of the freeze (when did the freeze start?)
>
> 1) Open the Outlook but do not try to open the calendar.
>
> 2) Create a New folder (Calendar Test)
>
> 3) Do an advanced find on the old calendar and sort events
>     by recurrence.
>
>     - Press F3
>     - Change the Look For: text box to Appointments and Meetings
>     - Click on the Advanced tab
>     - Click Field
>     - Select All Appointment fields
>     - Select Recurring
>     - Condition: equals
>     - Value: Yes
>     - Click the Add to List button
>     - Click Find Now
>
> Drop and drag from advanced find listed events one at a time to
> the new calendar, when you get to the corrupt item it will give
> you an error message or it will hang. (delete this item)
>
> Or if it is not a recurring (which our's always are) you could
> perform the find for all and do the same as above...
>
> Move all your calendar items from Calendar Test folder back to
> original calendar (these are previously dragged over items).
>
> --
> Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]
>
> --------------------
>
> Success,
> Sjef
>
> "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Any access of the calendar data appears to cause outlook to stop
> responding.
> > I have not tried exmerge.  Assuming it is possible, what is the downside
> > (other than loosing calendar data) of attempting to delete the entire
> > calendar folder?  From one of the Q articles they made a reference to
> > Outlook creating a new, empty calendar folder if one did not exist.
> >
> > "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > have you tried exporting the entire calendar to a pst file?  or using
> > > exmerge to archive the entire mailbox contents to a pst file?
> > >
> > > "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > /cleanfreebusy

> sent

You're welcome. Good to hear it worked.

Sjef

"Don Williams" <Don.Williams@cmoreNOSPAMmedical.com> wrote in message
> That fixed it!  Thank you!
>   Don Williams
>
> "Spie" <f@ke.all> wrote in message
> > Hi Don,
> >
> > we had this happening to us last week. Below is the advice I recieved in
> > another N.G., ms public.outlook.calendaring.
> > It worked perfectly for us, took me half an hour to find and remove the
> > corrupted item, without having to worry about losing data.
> > Maybe this will work for you as well?
> >
> > ----------
> > Probably a corrupt meeting in the calendar. I have found that
> > it is usually in a recurring appointment that has gone bad during
> > the week of the freeze (when did the freeze start?)
> >
> > 1) Open the Outlook but do not try to open the calendar.
> >
> > 2) Create a New folder (Calendar Test)
> >
> > 3) Do an advanced find on the old calendar and sort events
> >     by recurrence.
> >
> >     - Press F3
> >     - Change the Look For: text box to Appointments and Meetings
> >     - Click on the Advanced tab
> >     - Click Field
> >     - Select All Appointment fields
> >     - Select Recurring
> >     - Condition: equals
> >     - Value: Yes
> >     - Click the Add to List button
> >     - Click Find Now
> >
> > Drop and drag from advanced find listed events one at a time to
> > the new calendar, when you get to the corrupt item it will give
> > you an error message or it will hang. (delete this item)
> >
> > Or if it is not a recurring (which our's always are) you could
> > perform the find for all and do the same as above...
> >
> > Move all your calendar items from Calendar Test folder back to
> > original calendar (these are previously dragged over items).
> >
> > --
> > Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]
> >
> > --------------------
> >
> > Success,
> > Sjef
> >
> > "Don Williams" <Don.Williams@NOcMoreMedicalSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > Any access of the calendar data appears to cause outlook to stop
> > responding.
> > > I have not tried exmerge.  Assuming it is possible, what is the
downside
> > > (other than loosing calendar data) of attempting to delete the entire
> > > calendar folder?  From one of the Q articles they made a reference to
> > > Outlook creating a new, empty calendar folder if one did not exist.
> > >
> > > "Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message

> > > /cleanfreebusy

> message
> > sent

> in

0
f6060 (5)

Money '04
I'm trying to use the 'Money Browser' w/in MSN Money 2004 and get "Page Cannot Be Displayed" or sometimes "Action Cancelled", but I can surf the web just fine with my cable modem...what's up with that? I've read on this forum that other users are having difficulties w/ this particular issue, any resolution would be helpful. I've tried: regsvr32 msxml3.dll in start|run also have un-installed and re-installed cookies enabled ...

Outlook2k7 over VPN Out of Office Assistant problem
User's computer is not a member of the domain. Mail flows and all looks good till you start the OOF thing. It will just tell you it cannot connect to the server because it's currently unavailable. Now when we add autodiscover.domain.com pointing to the Exchange server to the host file of that computer it works but why? Without it when you run a test it will tell you that a Srv Record lookup for domain.com FAILED (0x8004010F) or Local autodiscover for domain.com FAILED (0x8004010F) yaro Hello yaro, Thanks for your post. The error 0x8004010F usually means MAPI_E_NOT_FOU...

problem with signature
I am trying to create a simple signature for my HTML mails, with a link to my website.I want it to be a hover link, no underline. I have made a very simple HTML in Dreamweaver, and all the appropriate attributes and styles are set via CSS. It looks and works fine on my browser. But when I select it as my signature file in OL2003, hover link property disappears and it reverts to the dreaded underline link. Any ideas how achieve this? TIA ...

publisher vs quark
Do you know if Microsoft Publisher would be able to open existing QuarkXPress files? ...

Outlook Mobile Access Problem

outlook 2007 runs slow

can't send anything in Outlook 2002

Exchange 2007 Evaluation version #2

Outlook 2003

Custom Control vs. Owner Draw Control?
Hi Custom Draw, Owner Draw, Custom Control, Owner Draw Control... Overriding DrawItem() Method, Overriding OnPaint() Method, OnCustomDraw() Method, WM_CTLCOLOR Handler, adding custom control which is in toolbox and "Custom Control DLL"... I started to search control development in MFC to learn how to write (stylish)controls but it seems that it will be difficult and confused... I have basic 2 questions, if you help me to find answers i will be very glad. 1-) In Terminology, are "custom control" and "owner draw control" same things? If not, i understand th...

outlook 2000 help file

MSN accounts dosen't work in Outlook.

How to realize communication problem?
Hello everybody. I am working on a project in which I read/write data via rs-232 from/to my Windows application to/from an microcontroller. Now, my boss wants me to write a library which he can use for different microcontrollers. This library should store any changes of data. So the desired microcontroller should just be able to pick up the data. You can think of it this way: Me, representing the Windows application, put a sheet of information into a drawer. A buddy of mine, (representing a microcontroller) can go to the drawer an pick up the sheet for further treatment. So, my quest...

Upgrading from Exchange 2000 Standard to Enterprise Cal ? #2
Hello Everyone, I know the upgrade process from exchange 2000 standard to enterprise seems pretty straight forward. However, I have a cal question. Are my standard cals still good with this upgrade. Say I have right now standard 2000 with 30 cals. If I upgrade to Exchange 2000 Enterprise with 25 cals to pass the 16mb limitation. Would I then only have the 25 cals or 55 total cals? Thanks ...

OWA problems #6
Users from outside the firewall can logon succesfully into OWA interface, their mailbox opens, but in the reading pane the only message is "loading..." Also no other functions of OWA interface seems to work (new, contacts...) as well as log off button. However if I try to access OWA from inside the company everything is fine. Windows 2000 Server SP4 Exchange 2003 SP1 On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:33:14 -0700, "Ducukm0" <Ducukm0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Users from outside the firewall can logon succesfully into OWA interface, >their mailbox opens, but in t...

Outlook 2003 Contact data

Unable to create more Windows NT accounts for Exchange mailboxes
Hi Guys, Currently our Exchange server stopped allowing the creation of more Windows NT Accounts with the following error"Insufficient System Resources exist to complete the requested service".Pls is there a way out of this? We run Exchange 5.5 SP3 on Windows NT Server. -- Buchi ...

Edit Microsoft Exchange System Object with ADSI
When I applied a new recipient policy to add a 2nd domain name to our users, I applied it to all rather than using a filter to only pick the users in the Users OU. Everything was still fine but we have one conflict. A public folder had the same name as a user and thus had the same email address. We are getting the event:Event ID: 9514 Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Description: Two objects in the Directory have the same proxy - /DC=COM/DC=[DomainName]/CN=[ContainerName1]/CN=[Object1] and /DC=COM/DC=[DomainName]/CN=[ContainerName2]/CN=[Object2] I deleted the public folder b...