Exchange and/or POP3

Hi all,

I just came in to a client that is a small school that has approx 40
permanent staff and about 70-100 students on a 4 year program. Each year a
new group of students come in while a group graduates and leaves.

Currently the school uses Exchange for their email. Each student is given an
email address and this is the way the staff communicates with them. So the
students do not need any other function than email which they need to be
able to access remotely - ie via web or pop3 client.

They are running a Win2003 Server and Exchange.

Each year, students are added/removed from the system so that they can have
an email account. As I understand it, this means a CAL license is needed for
each student (?)

Questions:
1. Is my assumption correct in that we need a CAL for each student??
2. Since students come and go, does it make more sense to keep the Exchange
server only for the staff and implement some POP3 server for the students?
3. Is #2 above possible, and if so, how?

thanks

Nate

0
nate1 (5)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:40:48 -0400, "Nate Harel" <nate@email.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I just came in to a client that is a small school that has approx 40
>permanent staff and about 70-100 students on a 4 year program. Each year a
>new group of students come in while a group graduates and leaves.
>
>Currently the school uses Exchange for their email. Each student is given an
>email address and this is the way the staff communicates with them. So the
>students do not need any other function than email which they need to be
>able to access remotely - ie via web or pop3 client.
>
>They are running a Win2003 Server and Exchange.
>
>Each year, students are added/removed from the system so that they can have
>an email account. As I understand it, this means a CAL license is needed for
>each student (?)

Probably not, you need to check your licencing model with your local
MS office or reseller. It's not usually licenced that way

>Questions:
>1. Is my assumption correct in that we need a CAL for each student??
>2. Since students come and go, does it make more sense to keep the Exchange
>server only for the staff and implement some POP3 server for the students?

Using Exchange 2003 Outlook Web Access is an excellent solution for
student profiles.

If you have Exchange set up you can access OWA by
http://server.domain.com/exchange right out of the box

>3. Is #2 above possible, and if so, how?
>
>thanks
>
>Nate

0
mark7219 (5666)
8/31/2004 7:10:53 AM
If you have the users access their mail via OWA and you will save yourself
from needing a server CAL.  Microsoft Licensing requires you have a Server
OS license, Exchange Server license, a server CAL, & an Exchange CAL.  You
can do without the server CAL if the users access their mail via HTTP.
The server CAL is mood point to your question.  Yes you are required to have
an Exchange CAL for every user who is able to access their mail.

You may have some special licensing opportunities being that you are an
educational environment.  You guys get HUGE breaks.
Defiantly check with a Microsoft rep.

Todd

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:40:48 -0400, "Nate Harel" <nate@email.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I just came in to a client that is a small school that has approx 40
>>permanent staff and about 70-100 students on a 4 year program. Each year a
>>new group of students come in while a group graduates and leaves.
>>
>>Currently the school uses Exchange for their email. Each student is given
>>an
>>email address and this is the way the staff communicates with them. So the
>>students do not need any other function than email which they need to be
>>able to access remotely - ie via web or pop3 client.
>>
>>They are running a Win2003 Server and Exchange.
>>
>>Each year, students are added/removed from the system so that they can
>>have
>>an email account. As I understand it, this means a CAL license is needed
>>for
>>each student (?)
>
> Probably not, you need to check your licencing model with your local
> MS office or reseller. It's not usually licenced that way
>

>>Questions:
>>1. Is my assumption correct in that we need a CAL for each student??
>>2. Since students come and go, does it make more sense to keep the
>>Exchange
>>server only for the staff and implement some POP3 server for the students?
>
> Using Exchange 2003 Outlook Web Access is an excellent solution for
> student profiles.
>
> If you have Exchange set up you can access OWA by
> http://server.domain.com/exchange right out of the box
>
>>3. Is #2 above possible, and if so, how?
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>Nate

Exchange Cluster

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

Exchange 2003 #5

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

antigen on exchange #2

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...

administrator email account can't thought POP3 send email after upgrade SP 1 or 2
Dear all, As title, when i upgrade ex SP1 and ex SP2, after that can't using roots to send email thought POP3, always prompt required auth, pls advise! In news:u37j7LTgGHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, Stanley <stanley@microosft.com> typed: > Dear all, > > As title, when i upgrade ex SP1 and ex SP2, after that can't using > roots to send email thought POP3, always prompt required auth, pls > advise! Hi - you don't send mail via POP - you send mail via SMTP. What happens when you authenticate to your SMTP server? What are the relay settings in your virtual...

Exchange 2007 RSG and Isinteg
We are running exchange 2007 on a windows 2008 server, both are fully patched. We backup with Backup Exec 12.5, again fully patched. All of our backups finish without any problems. Our problem; when i restore a database backup to a RSG and then try to restore a mailbox i recieve errors telling me that the maxium number of corrupted messages has been reached. i tried moving the limit up, but i have to move the limit up to 5000 before it works and then i only get a few emails not the complete contents of the mailbox. After a bit of research i found a few similar cases. These were resolv...

Restore Exchange...help!!!!
My 'broken' Exchange2003\win2003 server (not DC) had it's partitions labelled...'system' for C:\, 'Exchange' for D: and 'logs' for E:. How important is it I label the new Exchange server drives the same before the restore (I am not sure of the EXACT names!!!) Also my log files were all on drive D:\ (the only things on that drive) do I need to restore them too...they may not be exactly in sync with the other data being restored? Finally, what part of my 'Exchsvr' folder do I need to restore from backup? I think that may be a few days older tha...

emails retained in exchange 2003 queue
Hi to all, i have a ZyWall firewall (hardware) with a Turbo Card option installed. When i activate the anti-virus option in the firewall, i can receive emails, but all that i sent, do not go out, all off them stay in queue. When i deactivate that option, all the mails in queue, are sent. I ask my vendor for that problem, they test my firewall in their offices, but all it's ok. In my home, donsn't work. Must i change anything in my exchange ?? Best regards It sounds like your firewall is blocking outbound connections. You may need to configure exchange to use a SmartHost (your...

Issues with blank email replies on Exchange
Hi, A user recently emailed and said everytime he is vpn'd into the office from home (on his works laptop) he gets an odd problem. He can't send or reply to any emails. And when it does send it sends as a blank message - but somtimes takes about 7-8 attempts to get that far even. He does not get the problem in work. The error is "Error getting data from myexchangeserver.mydomain.com" He has full access to everything else using VPN and can receive emails ok - he can also remote desktop fine and c$ machines etc and read/write to file shares as normal. Details (Outlook...

Exchange to Exchange
Is there a way to configure Exchange to receive mail from another Exchange in 2 different domains? We just seperated 2 companies that use to share a Exchange. The main reason for the pull down from the old Exch. box is that our MX record is still pointing there. While we have accounts in our new domain for our users (15 users) the mail will still go to the old domain. We would like for our user to start using the new domain but they would lose they're email access. Can the Exchange to Exchange work or is it even possible? If there's another way, please advise. -Darrien ...

Best Practice
Have two Dell 2600's, one is DC and other Exchange server. Running Windows 2003 Server and 2003 Exchange Standard editions. Have 20 Exchange users. Our question concerns the backup of the Exchange Server. What is the Best Practice for the backup & more importantly, the restore of the Exchange server? We have third party backup software, Veritas v9.1. Should we use just that or is there a backup routine within Exchange 2003 or use NT Backup in addition to the Veritas software? Any info will be welcomed. Thanks in Advance, Robert Villafranca VTS, Inc. I would suggest using...