Exchange/Active Directory and backing up the system

So we have exchange, We actually have it replicated to a lcr machine
and we also do NT backups of the database every 3 hours. So we hav all
our bases covered, or so we thought.

Yesterday we had an issue with our Domain controller. Turns out, much
to my surprise, that Exchange went down when I could not connect to
the domain controller.

So now I have a entirely new area of disaster recovery I need to
understand and account for that I never knew existed.

How do I protect my exchange server so that, in the event my domain
controller were to die... I am covered?

Thanks
0
Mitch

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 05:26:01 -0800 (PST), Mitch <mitchman10@gmail.com>
wrote:

>So we have exchange, We actually have it replicated to a lcr machine
>and we also do NT backups of the database every 3 hours. So we hav all
>our bases covered, or so we thought.
>
>Yesterday we had an issue with our Domain controller. Turns out, much
>to my surprise, that Exchange went down when I could not connect to
>the domain controller.
>
>So now I have a entirely new area of disaster recovery I need to
>understand and account for that I never knew existed.
>
>How do I protect my exchange server so that, in the event my domain
>controller were to die... I am covered?
>
>Thanks

So you have just learned that Exchange is totally dependent on Active
Directory. No AD, No Exchange. Period. End of.
The answer therefore is to make sure your Exchange is not on a DC and
that you have more than one DC. And that both of those DCs are GCs.
0
Mark
12/16/2009 2:41:40 PM
"Mitch" <mitchman10@gmail.com> wrote in message
> So we have exchange, We actually have it replicated to a lcr machine
> and we also do NT backups of the database every 3 hours. So we hav all
> our bases covered, or so we thought.
>
> Yesterday we had an issue with our Domain controller. Turns out, much
> to my surprise, that Exchange went down when I could not connect to
> the domain controller.
>
> So now I have a entirely new area of disaster recovery I need to
> understand and account for that I never knew existed.
>
> How do I protect my exchange server so that, in the event my domain
> controller were to die... I am covered?
>
> Thanks

If maximizing your uptime is your greatest priority, then (as usual) you're
looking at some kind of redundancy.

Lee.

--
______________________________________

Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP
www.leederbyshire.com
lee a.t leederbyshire d.o.t c.o.m
______________________________________

0
Lee
12/16/2009 3:19:12 PM
On Dec 16, 9:41=A0am, "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <m...@mvps.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 05:26:01 -0800 (PST), Mitch <mitchma...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >So we have exchange, We actually have it replicated to a lcr machine
> >and we also do NT backups of the database every 3 hours. So we hav all
> >our bases covered, or so we thought.
>
> >Yesterday we had an issue with our Domain controller. Turns out, much
> >to my surprise, that Exchange went down when I could not connect to
> >the domain controller.
>
> >So now I have a entirely new area of disaster recovery I need to
> >understand and account for that I never knew existed.
>
> >How do I protect my exchange server so that, in the event my domain
> >controller were to die... I am covered?
>
> >Thanks
>
> So you have just learned that Exchange is totally dependent on Active
> Directory. No AD, No Exchange. Period. End of.
> The answer therefore is to make sure your Exchange is not on a DC and
> that you have more than one DC. And that both of those DCs are GCs.

Yes, I did learn.

So I already have a second domain controller, as per Active Directory
Sites and Services. On my second domain controller, if I go to
properties od the NTDS Settings, the Global Catalog checkbox is not
checked.

So is the implication that if I check this the glabal catalog will
exist on both machine and that if my primary dies the secondary can
stand in?

Can I interrupt users by checking that check box or will it silently
replicate in the background?

If I do have a crash, do I need to go into exchange and change the
computer it point to or will it automatically go seeking out domain
controllers with a global catalog?

Thanks
0
Mitch
12/16/2009 3:41:05 PM
wrote:

>So we have exchange, We actually have it replicated to a lcr machine
>and we also do NT backups of the database every 3 hours. So we hav all
>our bases covered, or so we thought.
>
>Yesterday we had an issue with our Domain controller. Turns out, much
>to my surprise, that Exchange went down when I could not connect to
>the domain controller.

No big surprise there.

>So now I have a entirely new area of disaster recovery I need to
>understand and account for that I never knew existed.
>
>How do I protect my exchange server so that, in the event my domain
>controller were to die... I am covered?

Add another GC to your Active Directory.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you have "it replicated to a
LCR machine", though. LCR is local -- same machine.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
12/16/2009 3:52:37 PM
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:41:05 -0800 (PST), Mitch <mitchman10@gmail.com>
wrote:

					[ snip ]

>So I already have a second domain controller, as per Active Directory
>Sites and Services. On my second domain controller, if I go to
>properties od the NTDS Settings, the Global Catalog checkbox is not
>checked.
>
>So is the implication that if I check this the glabal catalog will
>exist on both machine and that if my primary dies the secondary can
>stand in?

No. They'll both be used -- assuming they're in the same AD Site. It
isn't an 'active/passive' sort of configuration.

>Can I interrupt users by checking that check box or will it silently
>replicate in the background?

If you're running an up-to-date AD the GC will be populated before it
makes itself known to the world. My guess is that your AD isn't very
large, so the time it takes to promote and populate the GC will be
short.

>If I do have a crash, do I need to go into exchange and change the
>computer it point to or will it automatically go seeking out domain
>controllers with a global catalog?

No.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich

Exchange Cluster

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

System Job error in Advanced Find
Hi We are running MS CRM 4.0 Enterprise and we have upgraded to Hotfix Rollup 12 recently and we have noticed an issue in Advanced Find. From Advanced Find every time you choose "System Jobs" from the 'Look for' dropdown an error dialog is displayed with the message: "An error has occurred. Try this action again...." This is the standard error dlg_error.aspx. If you access System Jobs from the main area under the Settings pane this error does not appear. We have 4 separate CRM environments (each with Rollup 12) and this is happening in three of them. Any ...

Backing Up emails and contacts in outlook 2002
I have had to reformat my computer and have lost all contacts and emails. It is extremely important that this information is retained for my business. How can I back the entire file so that this doesn't happen again. Signed, sincerely upset. Search for .pst files at your hard disk (it may be hidden or in a hidden directory) and save the file. You can at any time open it in Outlook using file/open. Thomas Quester www.outlookfolders.de "Deborah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:5efd01c42dcd$75212ab0$a101280a@phx.gbl... >I have...

Highlight a Row Depending on Active Cell Using Button?
Is there a way to highlight a row within a range when a cell is active? The highlight needs to maintain the shading even though it is no longer active. I've seen code on this site using Worksheet Change Event but I was wondering if there was a way you could do this by a Command Button so the user can highlight particular rows by clicking on a button. For example, the user is on cell A5, clicks on the button and it highlights Row A5:AV5. The code is the same as what you saw in the worksheet_change examples just that it goes in a normal subroutine. Your example would be: Sub HiLiteIt() Ra...

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

Exchange 2003 #5

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Directory Permissions 5.5
Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory (c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5 Thanks DU "uelman" <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory >(c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5 IIRC, it's inherited from the root domain. In most cases that means the Everyone group has full control. Defaults aren't adequate. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm is it wise to have the everyone group with full control, i'm nervous giv...

Problems between two Exchange Servers

Can I create recurring activities in CRM
Hi I have a workflow in which I want to create a Activity on First day of every month, how can I do this? Can I create recurring activities in CRM Makarand Recurring appointments are not supported in CRM 1.2. You would have to create multiple appointments. Rob Bakkers, Avanade Netherlands "Makarand Keer" wrote: > Hi > > I have a workflow in which I want to create a Activity on First day of every > month, how can I do this? > Can I create recurring activities in CRM > > Makarand ...

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

CE6: Hive Registry on XIP ROM & RAM File System
Hi, The CE6 BSP from supplier supports ROM-Only file system, XIP, Hive-based Registry. It works fine on my board. But we are reuiqred to support ROM and RAM file system, XIP, Hive-based Registry. After some modifications, ROM and RAM file system is working now. All folders are in RAM, except Windows folder. But I have two problems, don't know how to solve them: 1. After system boots up, only My Device icon and Recyle Bin icon appears on desktop. IE icon, Word Pad icon, and other MS shortcut icons are not displayed. Program folder is empty. I remember I can see all the wince...

antigen on exchange #2

2 active SharePoint_Config DB's ???
One last question for here... When looking at my SharePoint DB's, to move them to a different drive - I've found a complexing issue. It looks like I have 2 active SharePoint_Config databases --- they each are followed by a different GUID #?? We had our server crash several months ago and had to recover the DB's - so I'm thinking it might be related to that. When I check the file path in sql and look at the mdf in windows explorer, it looks like they have both currently being modified ?? This is on server 2003 - using WSS. Thanks for any advice you share conc...

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...