Exchange 5.5 upgrade to Exchange 2003

I am hoping to upgrade my Exchange 5.5 organization to
Exchange 2003 by using the move mailbox method.  I have
run the exdeploy /orgnamecheck command and received the
following error.  Will this cause any problems with
Exchange 2003?

Also, I currently run Exchange 5.5 Enterprise Edition on
Windows 2000 Server Standard.  Can I run Exchange Server
2003 Enterprise on Windows Server 2003 Standard?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Warning: Organization or Site Relative Distinguished Name
(RDN) 'My Company, Inc.' in the Exchange 5.5 directory
contains a leading space, a trailing space, one or more
of ,=+<>#\"*() characters, or too many question marks.
Please see Knowledge Base article Q281456 if you want to
upgrade any Exchange 5.5 servers to Exchange Server 2003
by upgrading to Exchange 2000 Server first.
#*** Organization and Site Names Check finished:
02/16/2004 16:38:33 ***

0
anonymous (74721)

1. Just change the display name of your organistion.
2. You need to use E2K3 on W2K3 ideally, but you can have
E2K3 on W2K
This matrix might not come out too well, but it's also to
be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/tiwinnet.asp

Supported configurations	Windows Server operating
system	Active Directory environment
Exchange Version	Windows 2000 + SP3	Windows
Server 2003	Windows 2000 + SP3	Windows Server
2003
Exchange 5.5 + SP3	Yes	No	Not applicable
	Not applicable
Exchange 2000 + SP2	Yes	No	Yes	Yes
Exchange 2000 + SP3	Yes	No	Yes	Yes
Exchange 2003	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes

0
mark7219 (5666)
2/17/2004 9:05:56 AM
According to Microsoft, they want you to upgrade to exchange 2000 before you can make the move to 2003

My question is, is there ANYWAY around doing this? We have exchange 5.5 too and we just purchased a copy of exchange 2003. Seems kind of a complete waste to purchase a copy of exchange 2000 JUST to upgrade it immediately to exchange 2003. Maybe microsoft should provide a free copy of exchange 2000 to those users who have purchased exchange 2003.
0
nbloem (1)

Directory Permissions 5.5
Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory (c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5 Thanks DU "uelman" <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory >(c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5 IIRC, it's inherited from the root domain. In most cases that means the Everyone group has full control. Defaults aren't adequate. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm is it wise to have the everyone group with full control, i'm nervous giv...

Problems and more problems with exchange 2003 sbs
Today I reboot the our server, this is the first occasion after install a patch (that the windows has downloaded automatically) before few days. In 1 hour i received a message that the C: drive is full (yesterday I has 7GB free space) . surprised and checking the problem, I receive in my workstation a message that the outlook is not conected to the server. I seen that the mdadata folder has same hundreds of logs of 5MB size!!! After I move a lot of them to another location the exchange fill the free space with new logs...I change the configuration to make a circular logs and i moved a few hu...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

MS Exchange Settins.FAV error
Please help... I can't use outlook. Every time I try to access outlook I get this error "Outlook could not save the updated folder shortcut information. Check to make sure there is sufficient disk space and that the file "MS Exchange Settings.FAV" is not marked read-only. All changes made during this session will be lost. I have looked every where I can think and I am lost. Try renaming that .FAV file to .OLD while Outlook is closed and see if it's rebuilt when Outlook reopens. .FAV files hold the Outlook Bar shortcuts, and it's possible the file has beco...

Exchange to Exchange
Is there a way to configure Exchange to receive mail from another Exchange in 2 different domains? We just seperated 2 companies that use to share a Exchange. The main reason for the pull down from the old Exch. box is that our MX record is still pointing there. While we have accounts in our new domain for our users (15 users) the mail will still go to the old domain. We would like for our user to start using the new domain but they would lose they're email access. Can the Exchange to Exchange work or is it even possible? If there's another way, please advise. -Darrien ...

Error detected on GP 10 Client after GP 10 Upgrade
I am testing the update from GP 9 to GP 10. Everything went fine for GP server/first client update. So I created a client installation package, and install GP 10 Client on a new WinXP machine (without previous GP 9 client installation). The installation went OK until I run GP Utilities to sync the account framework. I got the error when validating production version information. It says that there are errors detected, and the error description is "You are attempting to configure an older version of product 0. Database 10.0.1.193 Code 10.0.774" No ideal what this means 'an...

Outlook 2003 Signature #3
Hi, Can someone tell me where Outlook stores the signature to use setting? The Tools -> Option -> Mail Format -> Signatures (for both new, and replies) Is it in the registry? I tried naming a signature a funny name, then searching for that name in the registry, but I can't find it! Thanks for any pointers. It's in the registry, as part of the mail profile, but the value is in = Unicode and thus not searchable.=20 Why do you want to know? --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm ...

Moving Exchange 5.5 to new Exchange 5.5 Server
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C44E2A.1247E0F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable On my current 5.5 server, I am running Windows 2000 SP2, with Exchange = 5.5 SP4. On the new server, I would like to use Windows 2000 SP4 and = Exchange 5.5 SP4 obviously. My question is this: Will the differences = in Windows Service Packs, affect anything with Exchange 5.5 SP4. I am = planning on implementing the New 5.5 server into the same Site and Org, = and using the Move Mailbox feature, to mo...

Exchange 5.5 disasster !
Hi, The Information Store service in Microsoft Exchange Server may not start and the Server Specific Error 4294966746 occurs. Events 1120 and 5000 are recorded in the Event Log with MSExchangeIS as the source. We have also use Tools like - eseutil /mh ...priv.edb - eseutil /p and /r ispriv the Tool recover the Database in consistent state but we can't start IS ? - isinteg -patch ...... - Restore online Backup/offline Backup ever time the get the same error. Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 185577 do also not resolve the Problem. PS: With 3rd Party Tool like Ontrack we can open pr...

Reading e mail Outlook 2003
I have three different e mail addresses registered in Outlook 2003. The mail is downloading OK but I cannot figure out how to actually read it - how to switch from one inbox to the other. Any help out there? On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:43:03 -0800, "Breandan" <Breandan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have three different e mail addresses registered in Outlook 2003. The mail >is downloading OK but I cannot figure out how to actually read it - how to >switch from one inbox to the other. Any help out there? What type of accounts? -- <<<SgtRich>>>...

Money 2003 Unable to Backup to Jump Drive
Money 2003, basic version, on Windows XP. Unable to backup to a Jump Drive. Procedures as outlined by Microsoft for backup to a CDR do not work on this version of Money where Microsoft says to merely type in the path of the CD drive. In my case the path to my jump drive is I: and this cannot be manually input on the tools/options/backup. There are three removable drive options that I can select from on my PC. Money does not recognize the jump drive. Is this a limitation of the basic version of Money? I tried re-initializing Money after installing the Jump Drive and I tried reb...

X axis points plotted at #.5
I want to make a simple line chart. Say the x axis has a range of 5 to 10. I have some points plotted that lie on the even numbers and other points that are to be plotted at, say 6.5, or 8.5 on the x axis. How do set it up so I only get 5 divisions horizontally, but have my points plotted at the proper #.5 location? I'm new at this, I hope I was able to make myself clear. Thanks, joe Joe - Have you considered using an XY Scatter chart? You can format them with lines connecting the points. The difference between Line and Scatter charts is in the way Excel interprets the X ax...

Exchange 5.5 Std over the 16 GB limit on IS
I have an exchange (std) 5.5 sp4 machine the is over the 16 GB limit on the priv.edb. I've done an offline defrag but that failed to reduce the .edb file. I tried an offline defrag using a different temp folder and replacing the edb file but again, no freed up space. Earlier today I had been able to start the IS, get into an outlook client & move e-mails to a local .pst file but now the IS starts & stops right away. (I've also turned off smtp to prevent mail delivery & NAV from accessing the client). When I was able to move files to a .pst file I went into Excah...

Reconnecting to exchange server
I have users that are connected via VPN tunnel, running Outlook 2003 in cached mode, multiple times during the day a window will appear stating that it is reconnecting to the exchange server. The option is set to download headers when a slow connection has been detected. It does not state that it has been detected only that it is trying to reconnect. I am wanting to make sure that the clients are connected and if are disconnected that is shows they are disconnected. Also, how to get rid of the popup window? Any help is greatly appreciated. ...

Disable Visio 2003 Pro Custom Toolbar
With Vision 2003 Pro SP1 (and original version), how can I disable the PDF maker toolbar from Acrobat 6 Pro? I rarely use it, it always comes up, and it's always in some weird place that messes up all the other toolbars. I don't see a Startup directory, etc., like the MS Office suite uses. ------=_NextPart_0001_0F769391 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, To resolve the issue, delete "pdfmvisio.vsl", it is an Adobe Acrobat add-on for Visio to display Acrobat toolbar and menu items. Steps: 1. Search for "pdfmvisio.vsl" 2. Rename or m...

MAPI failure with Outlook\Exchange 2003 (MAPI_E_NOT_ME)
Please note the two below Outlook logs. The first indicates proper MAPI operation and the second shows the problem we are having at one specific account. Hoping that someone can offer advice about alleviating failure. Is it possible for Exchange side to be setup to deny MAPI requests? 2006.02.10 09:02:44 <<<< Logging Started (level is LTF_TRACE) >>>> 2006.02.10 09:02:44 WPA Fax Administrator: Synch operation started (flags = 00000001) 2006.02.10 09:02:44 WPA Fax Administrator: UploadItems: 1 messages to send 2006.02.10 09:02:44 EXECUTING Put MAPI TASK 2006.02.10 09:02:...

Installation error on SBS 2003 R2 with SQL 2005
I tried to install CRM 3 (the one that I downloaded microsoft web site) and I received an error "The full-text component is not installed on the specified SQL Server" I removed SQL completely and reinstalled, and made sure that the FullText Search for the particular instance is installed and running. Any ideas? Thanks Hi I have very recently installed on R2 with sql 2005 and it worked, as far as I can tell. One of the issues that I have expereinced on sql 2000 is that if you install sql with the standard options it does not included the sql full text indexing capability....

Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2000 #2
Hello, We are experiencing difficulties with Cached mode in Outlook 2003. When I add a new user to Active Directory the email address assigned to that user does not appear in our global address list. Some users use cache mode and they cannot see the changes until approx the next day. The ones who dont use it see the changes right away. Is there a way to refresh the cache so that the users who are utilizing this feature are up to date ASAP. Any help would be appreciated. You can manually download the offline address book by Tools-> Send/Receive -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] ...

Sync'ing Tasks on Outlook 2003
My daughter has Outlook 2003 set up on one PC. She has it on a laptop as well. However, she wants to have it so she has all emails, contacts, calendar and tasks on both PCs. As it's a home network and neither techincal experience nor the money are available to run a corporate MS network. we need to work out the best way to do this. I've made a start long these lines on my own home network. I use Google Calendar Outlook Sync to sync both ways between PC1 and Google Calendar. PC 2 uses it too. But it's a one way sync from Google to PC. As for emails, we could configure Outlook to...

import external entities to Exchange 5.5
Is there a tool or script to allow me to import external entities into Exchagne 5.5? On an Exchange 2000 system I can use csvde to import contact objects. I am looking for some similar method to import to Exchange 5.5. I want to import a list of 700 names and email addresses that are foreign to the Exchange 5.5 system. I want to be able to hide them all from the GAL initially. I would also like to be able to use these external contacts as forwarders for certain internal users. Thanks, Josh ...

Exchange does not respond
Dear all I'm getting this error on my first Exchange 2003 server about the second Exchange server: EVENT # 8017 EVENT LOG Application EVENT TYPE Error SOURCE MSExchangeDSExp EVENT ID 181 COMPUTERNAME OXMAIL1 TIME 17/05/2005 15:39:57 MESSAGE The Microsoft Exchange Server computer does not respond. NameOfOtherExchangeServer Have not made any changes - this is now happening about every 10 minutes. The server is up and I can telnet to it on 25. Any ideas? ...

No NDR Generated
Greetings! For some reason, when email is sent to an invalid recipient from outside of my network, no NDR is generated. If the email is sent from an internal client, then the NDR is generated. Any ideas? My platform is: Exchange 5.5 SP4 Windows 2000 Any help is appreciated. Thank you, Mike Scott ...

First Exchange Client and Exchange Server 2003
I have a customer that is running Exchange 5.5 on an NT 4.0 box and they have several stores that are running the very first Exchange Client, not outlook but Exchange Client. Does anyone know if this will work with Exchange Server 2003? I know several functions of E2K3 server will not work with the client such as cached mode and some filtering options. What I would like to know if it will work at all. Thanks!! Yes, you can connect to a mailbox using the old Exchange Client. I would advise, however, you/they don't open any of those mailboxes with a higher version Outlook client and...

2005 upgrade and account merge issues
I guess I am just posting a "me too" post about how dissapointed I am with Money 2005. My problem is that using the new online account from yodlee and attempting to merge accounts is totally broken. It duplicates the past month of transactions again every time I try and there is no way to match transactions, I either delete the hand entered ones and throw off all my other accounts because of tranfers or I delete the automatically downloaded ones and they come back each time I open money. Has anyone sucessfully upgraded existing active accounts with transfers and started using yodle...