exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Hi, we are considering to migrate our single windows NT domain to
windows 2000, then to upgrade the current exchange 5.5 into Exchange
2000 which is currently in the windows 2000 member server within this
NT domain.

I know I have one option:
    * upgrade the PDC to windows 2000 domain control and then exchange
5.5 to exchange 2000. what is the risk here?
    * my question here is: where could I find the detail steps?

I am thinking if I have another option which is:
    * Migrate the PDC to windows 2000 domain.
    * Install a saparated exchange 2000 server
    * move the mail box from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000.
    * my question on this option is: does this option work? I am
afraid that this could help me to quickly switch back to exchange 5.5
if the migration fails?

Thanks in advance,

fshguo.
0
fshguo (22)

Cannot send e-mail to a newly created Public Folder via Exchange 5
I have created a public folder to receive Internet mail. All incoming mails go through an Exchange 5.5 as SMTP gateway. The test mails from an external mailbox to the public folder failed with NDR 5.1.1 user unknown. It also failed if the mail is generated from a Exchange 5.5 mailbox. However, if the mail is generated by a Exchange 2003 mailbox or from outside directly to Exchange 2003 server, it works fine. Can anyone please help? Thanks Richard Poon Check your ADC replication. Nue "Richard Poon" <RichardPoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92224...

address book issues between after switch from excahnge 2000 to 2003
here is our problem after our server crash (which ran exchange 2000 ) we decided to go with exchange 2003. the email and was not migrated but restored directly from backup tapes. the address books restored from archived .pst files, in one instance extracted from the user's blackberry. The users are still on Outlook 2002 now here comes the problem. now and then ( more often when user replies to pre-crash email) the email bounces (and this is only for internal email addresses) it seems that either exchange 2003 or Outlook 2002 still sees the old AD string in the address books. ( this is...

Exchange 2003 Upgrade and AD Users and Computers Exchange Advanced Tab
In the previous message (Gary D) stated a similar question. I noticed that after I installed Exchange 2003 Ent. to upgrade my Exchange 2003 Std. that I have the "Outlook Web Access Field" on the Exchange Advanced tab on the AD Recipeint Properties. The Outlook Web Access Folder field is appearing right under the "Simple Display Name" on the Exchange Advanced tab. However, all of the objects (Users) under the Users folder that were in an Enabled state do not have this new field. How do I get this field to appear on ALL of the user objects in Active Directory Users ...

Outlook 2000/Internet Explorer 6 Problem
I recently deleted Netscape and moved over to internet explorer 6, I also use Microsoft outlook 2000 as my email program. I open up outlook to check my email everything is fine, then i received an email that had a link in it, I clicked the link and it gave me the error that URL: Hypertext Transfer Protocol could not locate my internet explorer to open the link. So I went to my computer and clicked "view", then to folder options, then file types and I found the problem, it is showing that outlook is acting as the net browser and won't allow me to open links in my email s...

Migrate from Goldmine 5.0 to Exchange 2003
Has anyone had any experience with this? I am wanting to move history, the shared contacts, shared files etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Dan Hellebust wrote: > Has anyone had any experience with this? I am wanting to move > history, the shared contacts, shared files etc. Any information > would be greatly appreciated. Check www.slipstick.com for conversion utilities to get the info into Outlook - if you can get it in there, you can get it into Exchange, most likely - at least your calendar, contacts, etc. I'm not sure what sort of shared files Goldmine u...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

How can I automatically forward email to an external domain with exchange 2003?
Hello, I have a server running exchange 2003. Let's say that my domain name is "hjk.com" and I want that all emails that are send to example@hjk.com are forwarded to these 3 address: example2@externaldomain.com example3@anotherdomain.com example4@evenanotherdomainidontcontrol.com Is that possible? how can I do it? Thanks Patricia Print | Copy URL of this post Expand All Collapse All Hi Patricia, By default, automatic forwards to external domains are disabled. Go to Exchange system manager, Global Settings/Internet message formats. There, either enable th...

Viewing Attachments #5
I am not able to view Word attachments. I click on the paperclip to view it, but the file info is faded, and I cannot view it. What can I do to fix this? Tools-> Options-> tab Security-> option Do not allow attachments... Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips ...

Outlook 2000 + Windows Xp on 2000 domain
I have one user who has WinXP installed on his laptop. He has Outlook 2000 connected to an exchange 5.5. When logging into the network the logon script runs and maps various network drives. However when logging into Outlook he gets the exhcange login box. (Username, Domain, Password.) The exchange setting in his profile is set to NT Password Authentication. The account is not locked on the server. If you enter the same details that were used to log into the laptop Outlook will open and get connected to the exchange server. I cannot find anything on the internet about this problem if an...

Saving in FrontPage 2000
If I change a page on my website, using FrontPage, I have no difficulty. If I want to "Save As," however,and give it a different name for the purposes of my archives, immediately I am thrown out of FrontPage entirely and back to my regular webpage. This program worked great on my old computer, but has been doing this since I got XP. Any solutions? Thanks! Lanita Please direct this post to the microsoft.public.frontpage newsgroup as this group is for Microsoft CRM "Lanita" <sboyd1@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:031501c37d43$382474e0$a301280a@phx.gbl....

How to rebuild public folders in Exchange 2003
I have run into a problem with a migration from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. The public folders appear to be messed up. This stems back to a migration from 5.5 to 2000. At this point the public folders are empty. I would like to rebuild them, but am looking for the best approach to do this. I have seen article 822444, but it also references rebuilding the public folders. Any Advice? Thanks ...

Mailbox not created in Exchange when new Active Directory account created
Hello there, First off, I appologize if this question has been asked before. Prior to last week, whenever a new AD account was created along with a correpsonding Exchange mailbox, everything would work fine. However now things are not working normally and I am at a loss. Symptoms include: 1. When new AD account created, the email address and X.400 information is not pushed to the new account according to the Recipent Policy. 2. If we create the new AD account directly from the Exchange server console, the account inherits the recipient policy information however the new account never sho...

Copying from Publisher 2000 to Word 2000
I just finished a test document in Publisher 2000. I'm very pleased with end results. I have text and graphics with captions. It's really great! But I don't have Publisher at the office so will be taking the documents in to work in Word format. But just now when I tested the cutting and pasting, this time had troubles in pasting _all_ the text I added. All the columns paste as blank space. The graphics and titles I've overwritten in the template come out fine but not all the new text. I used the Autflow function, which finally figured out, but that's the only differ...

Visio 2000 Pro
Whenever I try use the Shape Wizard I get an error message (run time error) "OLE Automation Error". WHat can be the problem - how do I resolve. ...

Conditional format #5
Dear All I, create conditional format related to one column data range showing the staff ID, I want when I enter the staff ID if it is available in my data range, it will apply my conditional format, so my formula it is working for ID Like 1070, or 1470 But when I inter ID like B1101 It is not working, my formula in conditional format like this =VLOOKUP(A1,$K$2:$K$65,1,FALSE) > Please Help Thanks First place I'd start is to determine what results the conditional formula is returning. You can do that by putting the same formula in any available cell on the sheet, then start...

Cell fill color #5
Hello, Can I fill color a cell but will not show the color when i print it. thank you -- aynrand1964 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ aynrand1964's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36933 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=566450 Hi aynrand1964, Try this, File > Page setup Click Sheet tab, go down to the print section Tick Black and white Hope this is what you want? oldchippy : -- oldchipp ----------------------------------------------------------------------- old...

Exchange 2003 on a Cluster
Hi, I am trying to create a System Atteandant resource on a 2003 cluster and after going through the process of selecting the nodes and dependancies the final screen looks like this: ------------------------------------------------------------------------- This Exchange Virtual Server will be created with the following parameters: Server name: E2K3CLUST Primary IP address: 196.9.206.219 Administrative group: First Administrative Group Routing group: First Administrative Group/First Routing Group Data path: S:\EXCHSRVR In order to remove this Exchange Virtual Server, use the option 'Remov...

Insert another domain in exchange 5.5
Hello, I have a domain (domain-A) set in my exchange server 5.5, everything It is OK, now I have to set another domain (domain-B) in the same exchange server, so the user bill will have to smtp accounts. bill@domain-A.com.cc bill@domain-B.com.cc (default replay) The configuratios of DNS and Firewall are OK, how can I have two domains in the same exchange server 5.5 ? regards, silva, cleiton sao paulo brazil http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_sec3.htm Cleiton Silva wrote: > Hello, > > I have a domain (domain-A) set in my exchange server 5.5, > everything It is OK, n...

Mail Queues Exchange 2003 Help!!
Client is running SBS 2003, their mail address is company.com and is going through qwest.net. They have Internet Mail service and Exchange Service installed on workstations. With SBS 4.5, all was well, but with the move to 2003, and a change at the ISP level, users are unable to send e-mail. Is this an ISP problem, or Exchange? Where can I look at the outbound queues so I can see if things are being held up there? Thank you for your help in advance! Candace Sparks In your exchange server 2003 host , can telnet other external SMTP Server tcp 25 port�H -- Jammyù�ٴ� "Candace ...

Synchronization between Two Exchange Servers
I'm running Outlook 2002 on a W2K Server with Exchange 2000 at work. At home I have the exact same setup - but on my own domain. How do I go about keeping the two machines in synch? The most obvious solution is to save each Outlook to a PST file then open it into the other machine - but I'm not entirely thrilled about this solution. It wouldn't be so much a synchronization as a copying tool. (For example, I would have to delete or move appointments manually on both sides.) Are there any tricks and/or utilities outthere that would help me out? TIA, Mike Gray Get yourself a pa...

GP 7.5 User Permissions
I'm upgrading to GP 7.5 from 6.0 and was wondering if there was a way to copy a users permissions and apply to another user (i.e. a test user)? I've also had difficulty finding fields to check and assign permissions. Is there a way to run a search or a find to look for field names? I was looking for the Tax Commodity Field and eventually found it in the GP Dictionary but it took awhile. Thanks Jeff... Have you looked at Advanced security? "Jeff Roe" wrote: > I'm upgrading to GP 7.5 from 6.0 and was wondering if there was a way to > copy a users permi...

Replacing single Exchange 2003 server, need advise
Need advise replacing single Exchange 2003 server. Here's the scenario. 20 user site has one win 2003 AD server that also has an exchange 2003 SP1 server installed on it. That is the first site exchange server and the only one in the small domain. This server needs to be replaced with a new server that performs the same functions. I know how to get the new server to be the new AD controller. Basically bring it up as a reg server, promote it to a backup controller and then move the 5 FMSO roles over to it. Demote the old one and then I am left with a new single AD controller. ...

Remoe Outlook from Office 2000?
I get as far as Add/Remove but can see no way to remove just Outlook? Any help please? Art, If Outlook was installed as a part of Office, then select the Office entry in Add/Remove Programs and then click Change (or double-click if you are running Windows 95/98). Then, in the Office maintenance mode dialog box click Add or Remove Features. In the feature tree, change the Outlook icon to "Not Available". This will uninstall Outlook. Hope this helps. -- Greg Mansius [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Art" <...

Default today's date
How can I default to-day's date in one cell and the current time in another for each row. I know I can press Cntrl + ; etc. but want the date to be entered automatically. Any help would be much appreciated. Abay =TODAY() =NOW() latter formatted as time or you'll get a date as well -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Abay" <abcd@aol.com> wrote in message news:OzyVc0FqFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > How can I default to-day's date in one cell and the current time in > another for each row. I know I can press Cntrl + ; etc....

X.400 address in recipient policy on Exchange 2003
I have added a new Exchange 2003 server to my organization. I moved my recipient update services to this new server from the existing Exchange 2000 server. Since then, new accounts have not been stamped with an X.400 address. There is an X.400 address listed in the recipient policy, but it shows as unchecked. When I check it, I get a message about not being able to disable the primary X.400 address, but when I click Ok, and then reopen the recpient policy, the checkbox for the X.400 address is once again empty. Is an X.400 address necessary for an Exchange 200x organization in native mode? ...