Exchange 5.5 Std over the 16 GB limit on IS

I have an exchange (std) 5.5 sp4 machine the is over the
16 GB limit on the priv.edb. I've done an offline defrag
but that failed to reduce the .edb file. I tried an
offline defrag using a different temp folder and replacing
the edb file but again, no freed up space.

Earlier today I had been able to start the IS, get into an
outlook client & move e-mails to a local .pst file but now
the IS starts & stops right away. (I've also turned off
smtp to prevent mail delivery & NAV from accessing the
client).

When I was able to move files to a .pst file I went into
Excahnge Admin & saw the number of e-mails going down, but
the offline defrag did not result in freed up space.
0
anonymous (74721)

Delete the mailboxes you exported to psts and run another offline defrag, to
get the store running.  After that, install an additional server, move half
the mailboxes, and run another offline defrag on the original server.

As alternative, you can also upgrade to Enterprise.

--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

"frizzb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an exchange (std) 5.5 sp4 machine the is over the
> 16 GB limit on the priv.edb. I've done an offline defrag
> but that failed to reduce the .edb file. I tried an
> offline defrag using a different temp folder and replacing
> the edb file but again, no freed up space.
>
> Earlier today I had been able to start the IS, get into an
> outlook client & move e-mails to a local .pst file but now
> the IS starts & stops right away. (I've also turned off
> smtp to prevent mail delivery & NAV from accessing the
> client).
>
> When I was able to move files to a .pst file I went into
> Excahnge Admin & saw the number of e-mails going down, but
> the offline defrag did not result in freed up space.

0
nospam6185 (535)

Customize Outlook Today #5
I just purchased a ew computer, with Windows XP Professional installed. And, I installed the Office 2000 suite I had been using on my old Windows 95 computer. I just found that I am unable to open "Customize Office Today" in order to customize the display that is so important to me--especially the ability to limit the Tasks to the day at hand (rather than the full list it now gives me. Any suggestions? ...

Exchange 5.5 #39
When moving mailboxes from one server to another they have gone to the C drive despite running the optimiser first. I now only have 6.5mb left on the c drive and I have moved the mailboxes back. However I can not free up any space on the c drive as the optimser will not run correctly. Any ideas? ...

NDR when sending POP3 mails with Exchange Server
Mail Procesing order: - First : Microsoft Exchange Server (used only for internal email) - Second : POP3 Account#1 - Third : POP3 Account#2 When I send an email to a POP3 account and the Exchange Server is the first in the list of mail processing order, that mail is not sent, and an NDR is sent to the original sender. Does anyone knows how to fix this issue? Thanks in advance Albertof The best fix is to use exchange for sending external mail too. Second best is to create a second profile with the pop account on top, preferably without exchange in it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outl...

help with exchange active sync error
Hello, I have a few users using OMA to get their email on their mobile devices. Out of three of them i have one user that continually generates errors within the exchange server. the erro is Source: MSExchangeActiveSync Category: OMA Push Event Sink Event ID: 11312 Description: The device information file could not be retrieved from the user's mailbox. The URL for the item is <file://./backofficestorage/server.org/MBX/bsmith/Inbox/meeting.EML>. I cannot find much information on this error. I tried running the Exchange ActiveSync Notify Troubleshooter, but when i go to l...

3000+ Connections on Exchange Server
Looking further into my Exchange Server 5.5 problems, I checked POP3 access using telnet and that was fine, so I then checked SMTP. It returns a 421 EXCHSRVR connection limit reached message. Ran NETSTAT -an on the EXCHSRVR and redirected the output to a TXT file. The file was over 200KB in length and contained over 3000 connections. Now, I'm not entirely sure what ones I should see and what ones are extra. Can anyone give me some ideas of what I should be seeing in the way of connections on my mail server? yes, that sounds excessive. you can turn on SMTP Protocol Logging (to Me...

Exchange public folder replication to an IMAP server
Hi Newsgroup, I have a couple of questions regarding public folders in exchange 2000/2003 that I can't find much info on at all: 1. Can an IMAP folder on an external server be seen in (or linked to) an Exchange environment as a public folder? or 2. Can an exchange public folder automatically and regularly send its contents to an external IMAP server? The purpose would be to let users receiving spam emails (which managed to slip through the spam filter) to drag and drop them into a public folder. The spam items would then be delivered via IMAP to an external anti-spam server (spamassa...

Run-time Error 5 "Invalid Procedure Call or Argument"
I have been having a recurring problem with this error, which is occurring on several lines of code in serveral databases at work. What is most strange is that the code always runs without error on my computer, but it does on other ones. Now it’s popping up on our brand new laptop for a new database I’ve recently created which again, has been working perfectly on my computer. We have done numerous comparisons between the other computers and mine – same versions of Access, same service pack updates, (2003 SP3) same version of Visual Basic, same Library References, same version ...

Searching for emails in Exchange
Is there any way to search exchange for an email with the subject XXXXXX. I would like to search for an email messaged which is causing problems. I would like to also search all messages in a certain storage group. Thanks By Subject: Exmerge. On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:03:02 -0800, St. Pauls <StPauls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there any way to search exchange for an email with the subject XXXXXX. I >would like to search for an email messaged which is causing problems. I >would like to also search all messages in a certain storage group. > >Thanks >...

exchange task do not appear
As a first step to migrate from exchange 5.5 to 2000, I installed ADC in a new additional DC (GC server), I also run exchange 2000 setup with forestprep switch. When I run AD user and computer, I do not see the exhange task in the user's short-cut menu (when I click right mouse button while selecting a user). Is there anything wrong can happen or I will be able to see only after complete installation of exchnage 2000 in additional DC. My main ADC is running exchange 5.5 Thanks Where are you running ADU&C from? By default, when you install the ADC, the machine that is installe...

questions #5
dave, thanks for that explanation, again. i am sorry i made you write almos two whole pages of explanation on a pretty nice weekend. hope you hav a good one. regards, mac -- icestationzbr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- icestationzbra's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=458 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26124 Next time, I'll turn verbose mode of and use terse mode. <vbg>. icestationzbra wrote: > > dave, > > thanks for that explanation, again. ...

Connection Between 2003 and 5.5
Hi Guys, I have an Exchange organisation consisting of 18 Exchange serves running Enterprise edition of 5.5. All email is routed through 2 Bridgehead servers and which connects out to an SMTP server then to the internet. I have installed Exchange Server 2003 and would like to make this the Bridgehead server for all emails to flow though,whilst I upgrade the exisiting environment. How would I achieve this? Would I need to setup a connection using ADC? Please advise. Many thanks Mohammed "Mohammed" <Mohammed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have an Exchange org...

Exchange Recipient Policy
I cannot figure out How to apply an exchange recipient policy for all users/groups/contacts under a specific "Organizational Unit" - I have Exchange 2003 running on a Win2k server. Does anyone know how? Help thanks. Hi, Recipient Policies cannot be applied based on OU. The following whitepaper should be able to help you do what you want to do. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/recimgmt.mspx Even though this is for Exchange 2000, it still applies to Exchange 2003. -- Thanks, James Burrage This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warra...

Column Labels #5
I have a coworker who changed the column labels from letters to numbers. She does not know how she did it. Does anyone know how to change them back to letters. The columns are numbered in all of the worksheets that she opens. Stephanie tools>options>general>settings>ric1 uncheck -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Stephanie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3d7701c52341$aceff2e0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have a coworker who changed the column labels from > letters to numbers. She does not know how she did it. Do...

Forwarding #5
I am starting to have problems with replying to some emails in Outlook. For some recipients, to whom I try to reply, I get this error message: 550 Recipient Not Authorised [recipient rejected due to no authorised destination groups] The email is not sent. If I start a new mail then cut and paste the contents in, it is sent as normal. Any ideas? ...

exchange 2003 #54
Hi I really need some help My parent company is a separate forest separte exchange Org then there is me who is in a separate forest and separate exchange Org, I have a trust setup for many months now. I get a call from our parent company that they can sometimes send us email but most of the time no. this is the error The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator. <domain.com #4.0.0 smtp;452 Too many recipients received this hour> also in...

Exchange 2010 issue
Hi All, Had the weirdest problem with Exchange 2010. Today, one of my customers had outlook disconnecting and reconnecting every minute or so. This was happening on every machine. Looking on the server there didn't seem to be any problems. it was dropping my RDP connection as well however. This machine is running on vmware so I thought this might be a problem. I rebooted the vm. Upon rebooting, the machine hung at "applying computer settings". I shut the machine down and disabled the network adapter. Doing this allowed the computer to boot. Viewing the event log, ther...

Bulk Import Limitations ?
Besides the obvious. Are there some undocumented/unwanted limitations to the bulk import? Have 125 additions to the UI that range from bit, picklist, date, text, etc. Nothing fancy. Unable to import data for these all at once via tab txt. Always get “invalid argument”. However I can import each type at a time. Ex. All bit, date & text only fly through no problems but together with pick list, it fails. But I can import the pick lists if the bit data is left out. This only occurs when I map the values. The match perfectly, case, format, etc. Any ideas appreciated; beside go with Scr...

how to block IP addresses from connecting to exchange 2003 server
I want to block all of China and Korea from connecting to my exchange server. I have the list of IP addresses China and Korea use and would like to enter them into exchange 2003 but I am unsure where to do this. It looks to be under the SMTP Virtual Server > Access > connection . Has anyone else done this before to prevent SPAM? Is it a successful technique? Better get one of commercial applications to fight spam (www.vamsoft.com and www.gfi.com come to mind as inexpensive examples). "Chris T." wrote: > I want to block all of China and Korea from connecting to my exchan...

Migrate Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 #2
Hi Exchange ppl :) Im attempting to join an exchange 2003 server to a exchange 5.5 organisation for migration and get stuck with this message just after I click on next to start the join process.... I can gone through the steps of MS documentation (Page 74 - Chapter 4 - Migrating from Exchange Server 5.5 - Exchange Server 2003 Deployment Guide) Error Message: http://users.tpg.com.au/zoomin/Permission.JPG I made 100% sure that the administrator has service admin account permissionfor the organisation, site and configuration..... I can copy and pasted this from the install log (Exchange Ser...

Limit in Text Box
Hello, I'm having an issue with the amount of characters allowed in a text box. I need to be able to have a space that allows more than 255 characters. How can this be accomplished? I am not too savvy with Microsoft Access yet, so any response written in lay-mans terms is greatly appreciated! Thankyou! ChelseaS, In the table change the Data Type to Memo. -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "ChelseaS" <ChelseaS@discussions.microsoft...

How to move and Exchange 5.5 information store
Hello, I need to move the private information store (Priv.edb) to a new larger disk array. If I go into the Exchange Admin program,navigate to Configuration, Servers, properties of my server and then "Database Paths"; will changing the path definition ALSO move the IS to this new location? Thanks. -- tim Yes, but a better way is to run the Performance Wizard (perfwiz.exe) to move the databases. >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > > I need to move the private information store (Priv.edb) to a new larger >disk array. > > If I go into the ...

Exchange5.5
MTA not able to start. Error 2140 when I try and start service manually. I ran the mtacheck utility and came up with the following error:Database has serious errors and cannot be reconstructed... What do I need to do to get Exchange back up and running? "Todd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >MTA not able to start. Error 2140 when I try and start >service manually. I ran the mtacheck utility and came up >with the following error:Database has serious errors and >cannot be reconstructed... > >What do I need to do to get Exchange back up and...

does exchange server have the mailing list function?
Dear all I want to know if exchange server have mailing lists function, just like the MDaemon server- in MDaemon server, I can create a mailing list and Add email account to it and if someone send email to this list, all the members will receive this email. Can exchange do this? please tell me, thanks very much!! Hi Gundam You can create a Distribution Group in Active Directory Users and Computers and add users to that group, if you want someone outside of your organisation to be included in the group then you can create a Contact and add the contact to the Group. What we dont have...

Replication partner exch 5.5 crashed
Hello Everyone. We recently installed exchange server 2003, had it coexisting with exchange 5.5 . We used the pfmigrate tool to create replication of public folders,I had also moved around 75% of the users mail boxes to the 2003 server.Unfortunately Ifound out that the exchange 5.5 server has crashed and now we cannot send or receive emails because earlier the mail flow was from 2003 to 5.5 and internet and vice versa. How can I remove the 5.5 server and set the 2003 server to receive emails completely. Also I do have a backup of the 5.5 server , can I restore the 5.5 mail box to t...

Automatic Calculation #5
I have a spreadsheet with a single forumla that is not updating automatically. All other formulea on the sheet update automatically. Anyone seen anything like this? The specifics: Time sheet spreadsheet, bosses want to track billable vs. unbillable hours automatically. I set up a dummy page that captures (via IF statements) the unbillable hours based on the Department number (7 nos. for billable, 1 for unbillable). I then sum those unbillable hours and refer to that summation from the main page. All that works fine. I then have a cell with formula subtracting the Non-billable hours from the ...