Exchange 5.5 SP4 update and "could not open file" messages

I've just applied SP4 and got a couple of files I had to skip to
complete the update - EMSMDB32.DLL and EMSSUI32.DLL.

Exchange came back OK and appears to be working normally.

Can I just copy the two files from the setup folders?  Or do I have to
do something more complicated?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom Walker

0
twalker (6)

Stop all 3rd party and exch services and re-apply SP4 again.

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:20:49 +0000, Tom Walker
<twalker@nospam.astonzoraster.com> wrote:

>I've just applied SP4 and got a couple of files I had to skip to
>complete the update - EMSMDB32.DLL and EMSSUI32.DLL.
>
>Exchange came back OK and appears to be working normally.
>
>Can I just copy the two files from the setup folders?  Or do I have to
>do something more complicated?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Tom Walker

0
adavid (8731)
2/5/2005 1:15:57 AM
Did that this morning (after a server re-boot) - got same problem.  Even
checked the Exchange services were still stopped when the message comes
up.  Also had the virus checker unloaded and the related services
stopped during the process.

Any idea if there is a way to find out what is using the two files?

Tom Walker

Andy David - Exchange MVP wrote:
> Stop all 3rd party and exch services and re-apply SP4 again.
>
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:20:49 +0000, Tom Walker
> <twalker@nospam.astonzoraster.com> wrote:
>

>>I've just applied SP4 and got a couple of files I had to skip to
>>complete the update - EMSMDB32.DLL and EMSSUI32.DLL.
>>
>>Exchange came back OK and appears to be working normally.
>>
>>Can I just copy the two files from the setup folders?  Or do I have to
>>do something more complicated?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>>Tom Walker

0
twalker (6)
2/7/2005 9:38:05 AM
Fixed it!

Found a utility called Process Explorer that showed me the EMSMDB32.DLL
was in use by MAPIS32.DLL in addition to Exchange.

Stopped Fax and Messenger services and the SP4 update went through with
no errors.

Thanks for your help.

Tom Walker

Andy David - Exchange MVP wrote:
> Stop all 3rd party and exch services and re-apply SP4 again.
>
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:20:49 +0000, Tom Walker
> <twalker@nospam.astonzoraster.com> wrote:
>

>>I've just applied SP4 and got a couple of files I had to skip to
>>complete the update - EMSMDB32.DLL and EMSSUI32.DLL.
>>
>>Exchange came back OK and appears to be working normally.
>>
>>Can I just copy the two files from the setup folders?  Or do I have to
>>do something more complicated?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>>Tom Walker

0
twalker (6)

Exchange 5.5 SP4 update and "could not open file" messages
I've just applied SP4 and got a couple of files I had to skip to complete the update - EMSMDB32.DLL and EMSSUI32.DLL. Exchange came back OK and appears to be working normally. Can I just copy the two files from the setup folders? Or do I have to do something more complicated? Thanks in advance for any help. Tom Walker Stop all 3rd party and exch services and re-apply SP4 again. On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:20:49 +0000, Tom Walker <twalker@nospam.astonzoraster.com> wrote: >I've just applied SP4 and got a couple of files I had to skip to >complete the update - EMSMDB32...