Exchange 5.5 resolving external SMTP addresses

I have created a custom recipient in my Exchange server, and it contains
several external email addresses (I use this recipient for spam
whitelisting...I update the custom recipient instead of the rule).  The
problem that is occurring is that when sending an email out, using one of
the email addresses in the email address list causes Exchange to resolve the
address to the custom recipient.  What happens when emailing out through
SQLMail is it ends up emailing the Default Reply address instead of the one
I want!  For example, I set up a custom recipient called "More Chocolate",
and make hello@deli.com as one address, and nevar@forget.com as another, and
set nevar@forget.com as the default.  If I email hello@deli.com from
SQLMail, it resolves to "More Chocolate" and emails nevar@forget.com.  I
can't replicate this behaviour with an Outlook client (it still resolves the
name to "More Chocolate", however, it does email hello@deli.com).  I would
like to know if there is a better way to handle this, or if there is a way
to make Exchange not attempt to resolve SMTP addresses that are not in the
site's domain.

Thanks for your assistance.

0
kripes (17)

Wow this group is really dead now...where did everyone go, experts-exchange?

"Kripes" <kripes@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have created a custom recipient in my Exchange server, and it contains
> several external email addresses (I use this recipient for spam
> whitelisting...I update the custom recipient instead of the rule).  The
> problem that is occurring is that when sending an email out, using one of
> the email addresses in the email address list causes Exchange to resolve
the
> address to the custom recipient.  What happens when emailing out through
> SQLMail is it ends up emailing the Default Reply address instead of the
one
> I want!  For example, I set up a custom recipient called "More Chocolate",
> and make hello@deli.com as one address, and nevar@forget.com as another,
and
> set nevar@forget.com as the default.  If I email hello@deli.com from
> SQLMail, it resolves to "More Chocolate" and emails nevar@forget.com.  I
> can't replicate this behaviour with an Outlook client (it still resolves
the
> name to "More Chocolate", however, it does email hello@deli.com).  I would
> like to know if there is a better way to handle this, or if there is a way
> to make Exchange not attempt to resolve SMTP addresses that are not in the
> site's domain.
>
> Thanks for your assistance.

0
kripes (17)
9/15/2004 1:16:49 AM
"Kripes" <kripes@nospam.com> wrote:

>I have created a custom recipient in my Exchange server, and it contains
>several external email addresses (I use this recipient for spam
>whitelisting...I update the custom recipient instead of the rule).  The
>problem that is occurring is that when sending an email out, using one of
>the email addresses in the email address list causes Exchange to resolve the
>address to the custom recipient.  What happens when emailing out through
>SQLMail is it ends up emailing the Default Reply address instead of the one
>I want!  For example, I set up a custom recipient called "More Chocolate",
>and make hello@deli.com as one address, and nevar@forget.com as another, and
>set nevar@forget.com as the default.  If I email hello@deli.com from
>SQLMail, it resolves to "More Chocolate" and emails nevar@forget.com.  I
>can't replicate this behaviour with an Outlook client (it still resolves the
>name to "More Chocolate", however, it does email hello@deli.com).  I would
>like to know if there is a better way to handle this, or if there is a way
>to make Exchange not attempt to resolve SMTP addresses that are not in the
>site's domain.

If the address you're sending to is assigned to a CR then the address
on the outgoing mail will be the target address of the CR. that's the
way it was designed to work.

The way to avoid this is to not place addresses in the directory that
you don't want rewritten.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"Kripes" <kripes@nospam.com> wrote:

>Wow this group is really dead now...where did everyone go, experts-exchange?

Nope. My real job has kept me pretty busy since April. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

SMTP service stopping repeatedly please help
We are running Exchange 2003 on windows 2003 and the SMTP service has all of a sudden started stopping itself, you can restart it and it just stops again. We tried installing sp1 but did not help. Any help would be appreciated Sincerley Jim Kiddoo Event logs indicate anything amiss? Jim Kiddoo wrote: > We are running Exchange 2003 on windows 2003 and the SMTP service has > all of a sudden started stopping itself, you can restart it and it > just stops again. > We tried installing sp1 but did not help. > Any help would be appreciated > Sincerley > Jim Kiddoo ...

Exchange Cluster

Exchange

OWA addressing
In using OWA from Exchange 2003 SP2, is there anyway 1). to access public folder contacts? 2). Get OWA to give one a pull down address list for selection. Users are finding addressing in OWA, difficult with on the Global address, or single Contacts sources... and having to do a find to locate an addressee. These, if not features if not available in OWA - would make a great add on for the next update of this nice email interface. Best -- Dodge Hello Dodge, Unfortunately the "Search Contact" feature from OWA, doesn't work efficiently. Thanks, Nilesh Yawalkar "Dodge"...

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

hyperlinking to an item in Global Address List
I have figured out how to hyperlink (html) to an item in my contact list: outlook:Contacts/~John Doe This works great. Now I would like to be able to issue a command to open a specific contact from the Global Address List. It is possible that the Global Address List has some folder name like GAL so that a command like this: outlook://GAL/~John Doe could be issued. Does anyone know how to refer to the Global Address List by its folder name or to do what I am asking? This can't be done, but you can add the GAL entry to your contact folder and then do what you know. Is that good en...

Exchange / POP3

Global Address List #44
hi guys im facing great problems deploying global address list in owa 2003 i want to enable global address list in exchange 2003 OWA 2003 how any ideas by default i know if user enters a user name then it will findout by search by i want to display whole global address list in OWA 2003 i have more then 150 users some one knows how to enable this feature i have goolged but no success any update available to show these things in owa 2003 thanks Syed Ali For Exchange 2003 you'll need a 3rd party product like http://messageware.com/product_pluspack.htm I think if you put just a sin...

virus attacks against Exchange

Exchange 2003 #5

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

SMTP and the routing restrictions confusion
I am confused at the difference between the relay settings that are needed for my Exchange 5.5 server to send and receive SMTP from other SMTP servers on the internet and the settings used for POP clients to send mail through my Exchange server. (i.e. the Reroute incoming SMTP and the routing restrictions) Seems like that should be a whole separate deal. I have struggled with this for months and I'm still confused. Can someone explain this to me please? SteveO "SteveO" <spam@microsoft.com> wrote: >I am confused at the difference between the relay settings that are ...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

Pivot Table #5
Dear Reader, I got a block of data in Excel - sheet 1 (26 columns by 806 rows). I try to create a pivot table on sheet 2 BUT whenever I try to add more objects to the layout I receive the following error: "MS Excel cannot make this change because there are too many row or column items drag at least one row or column item off the pivot table, or to the page position..." What can I do to display all the data? Please help, this is rather urgent! Thanks From a post by Tom Ogilvy: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=157486 XL97: Limits of PivotTables in Microsoft Excel 97 (Q15748...

Directory Permissions 5.5
Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory (c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5 Thanks DU "uelman" <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory >(c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5 IIRC, it's inherited from the root domain. In most cases that means the Everyone group has full control. Defaults aren't adequate. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm is it wise to have the everyone group with full control, i'm nervous giv...

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

antigen on exchange #2

SMTP Relay Server and Mail Aliases
Hi! I have front-end and back-end Exchange. I do not want that my front-end Exchange has SMTP relay functionality. I want to deploy a SMTP relay server in DMZ. My problem is: This SMTP relay server is not a member of my Exchnage AD domain and does not know about mail aliases in my Exchange domain. I do not want that I open additional ports on firewall which is between my Exchange domain and SMTP mail relay. My question is: How can I inform that SMTP relay server knows about all mail aliases on my Exchange domain? Best Regards Mustafa "mustafa" <mustafa@discussions.microso...