Exchange 5.5 - Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an account

Hiya,

I have a distribution list set up on my Exchange Server (5.5 with SP4,
running on NT 4 SP6a) which only has 6 members.

Over time though, as staff come and go, members have been added to this DL
and then been removed at a later stage.

I have a client who is reporting that when they try to email to the
distribution list, they get two bounces. The first one is:

"Unable to deliver message to the following address(es)

/O=COMPANY/OU=EXCHANGE/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=ADDRESS 1.

Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an account"

Where ADDRESS 1 is a user that, certainly doesn't have an account but isn't
a member of the distribution list either. There is no Exchange account or
User Account that goes by this name or description (though there may have
been in the past).

The second bounce message more or less says the same thing, except of
ADDRESS 1 it shows the name of the DL

"Unable to deliver message to the following address(es)

/O=COMPANY/OU=EXCHANGE/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=DISTRIBUTION NAME.

Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an account"

This user certainly doesn't have an account, but nor should it as it's only
a distribution list ...

Is there any way I can do some sort of search for references to these user
accounts? Would it be easier if I simply deleted the Distribution List and
started again?

Anybody with any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Adrian Robertson

In Exchange Administrator right click on the server object and go to advance tab
Run consistency adjuster to sync IS/DS

Note:If you have more than one Exchange  server in the organization then I would suggest you to read more about running IS/DS first

If the above does not work then try using Exchange Administrator in raw mode-admin/r to view directory entries and manually delete unwanted accounts

Note:Be carefull when using admin in raw mode.
0
anonymous (74721)
2/20/2004 12:41:08 AM
I don't see DS/IS helping.

It removes unknown accounts from permissions and will create a directory
object if the store still has a mailbox.

--
Hope that helps,
Dan Townsend

"Rajeh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Exchange Administrator right click on the server object and go to
advance tab.
> Run consistency adjuster to sync IS/DS.
>
> Note:If you have more than one Exchange  server in the organization then I
would suggest you to read more about running IS/DS first.

> If the above does not work then try using Exchange Administrator in raw
mode-admin/r to view directory entries and manually delete unwanted
accounts.

> Note:Be carefull when using admin in raw mode.

0
dtown (976)
2/20/2004 1:11:01 PM
Do you have multiple servers?  This looks more like a SMTP NDR.  I could see
this happening if the DL is expanding on a server that doesn't know that
user has been deleted.  Is Exchange 2000 involved?

Have you ran a Knowledge Consisteny Check?  This is on the properties of the
Directory Service.

--
Hope that helps,
Dan Townsend

"Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message
> Hiya,
>
> I have a distribution list set up on my Exchange Server (5.5 with SP4,
> running on NT 4 SP6a) which only has 6 members.
>
> Over time though, as staff come and go, members have been added to this DL
> and then been removed at a later stage.
>
> I have a client who is reporting that when they try to email to the
> distribution list, they get two bounces. The first one is:
>
> "Unable to deliver message to the following address(es)
>
> /O=COMPANY/OU=EXCHANGE/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=ADDRESS 1.
>
> Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an account"
>
> Where ADDRESS 1 is a user that, certainly doesn't have an account but
isn't
> a member of the distribution list either. There is no Exchange account or
> User Account that goes by this name or description (though there may have
> been in the past).
>
> The second bounce message more or less says the same thing, except of
> ADDRESS 1 it shows the name of the DL
>
> "Unable to deliver message to the following address(es)
>
> /O=COMPANY/OU=EXCHANGE/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=DISTRIBUTION NAME.
>
> Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an account"
>
> This user certainly doesn't have an account, but nor should it as it's
only
> a distribution list ...
>
> Is there any way I can do some sort of search for references to these user
> accounts? Would it be easier if I simply deleted the Distribution List and
> started again?
>
> Anybody with any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Adrian Robertson

0
dtown (976)
2/20/2004 1:22:46 PM
Thanks. I'll run the Consistency Adjuster tonight and see how I go.

In answer to your questions, there is only the one Mail server in this site,
and no Exchange 2000 is not involved.

What you say about the SMTP NDR makes sense, as I have only been informed of
this error by one client, who is using Windows 2003 SBE (and he apparently
is only getting the error from one email address he is using).

Anyway, probably a good idea (?) to run the Consistency Adjuster anyway, as
it has never been done before. I'll do it after hours tonight and re-test.

Thanks again.

Adrian

"Dan Townsend [MSFT]" <dtown@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do you have multiple servers?  This looks more like a SMTP NDR.  I could
see
> this happening if the DL is expanding on a server that doesn't know that
> user has been deleted.  Is Exchange 2000 involved?
>
> Have you ran a Knowledge Consisteny Check?  This is on the properties of
the
> Directory Service.
>
> --
> Hope that helps,
> Dan Townsend

rights.
> Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup.

> "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hiya,
> >
> > I have a distribution list set up on my Exchange Server (5.5 with SP4,
> > running on NT 4 SP6a) which only has 6 members.
> >
> > Over time though, as staff come and go, members have been added to this
DL
> > and then been removed at a later stage.
> >
> > I have a client who is reporting that when they try to email to the
> > distribution list, they get two bounces. The first one is:
> >
> > "Unable to deliver message to the following address(es)
> >
> > /O=COMPANY/OU=EXCHANGE/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=ADDRESS 1.
> >
> > Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an account"
> >
> > Where ADDRESS 1 is a user that, certainly doesn't have an account but
> isn't
> > a member of the distribution list either. There is no Exchange account
or
> > User Account that goes by this name or description (though there may
have
> > been in the past).
> >
> > The second bounce message more or less says the same thing, except of
> > ADDRESS 1 it shows the name of the DL
> >
> > "Unable to deliver message to the following address(es)
> >
> > /O=COMPANY/OU=EXCHANGE/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=DISTRIBUTION NAME.
> >
> > Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an account"
> >
> > This user certainly doesn't have an account, but nor should it as it's
> only
> > a distribution list ...
> >
> > Is there any way I can do some sort of search for references to these
user
> > accounts? Would it be easier if I simply deleted the Distribution List
and
> > started again?
> >
> > Anybody with any other suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> > Adrian Robertson

Just thought to avoid confusion, when I said client in my last response, I
don't mean an Outlook client or any other PC attached to the network.

I should have said, that another user, completely unrelated to this company,
has reported getting back these NDRs ... he is using WIndows 2003 SBE.

"Dan Townsend [MSFT]" <dtown@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do you have multiple servers?  This looks more like a SMTP NDR.  I could
see
> this happening if the DL is expanding on a server that doesn't know that
> user has been deleted.  Is Exchange 2000 involved?
>
> Have you ran a Knowledge Consisteny Check?  This is on the properties of
the
> Directory Service.
>
> --
> Hope that helps,
> Dan Townsend

rights.
> Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup.

> "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hiya,
> >
> > I have a distribution list set up on my Exchange Server (5.5 with SP4,
> > running on NT 4 SP6a) which only has 6 members.
> >
> > Over time though, as staff come and go, members have been added to this
DL
> > and then been removed at a later stage.
> >
> > I have a client who is reporting that when they try to email to the
> > distribution list, they get two bounces. The first one is:
> >
> > "Unable to deliver message to the following address(es)
> >
> > /O=COMPANY/OU=EXCHANGE/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=ADDRESS 1.
> >
> > Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an account"
> >
> > Where ADDRESS 1 is a user that, certainly doesn't have an account but
> isn't
> > a member of the distribution list either. There is no Exchange account
or
> > User Account that goes by this name or description (though there may
have
> > been in the past).
> >
> > The second bounce message more or less says the same thing, except of
> > ADDRESS 1 it shows the name of the DL
> >
> > "Unable to deliver message to the following address(es)
> >
> > /O=COMPANY/OU=EXCHANGE/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=DISTRIBUTION NAME.
> >
> > Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an account"
> >
> > This user certainly doesn't have an account, but nor should it as it's
> only
> > a distribution list ...
> >
> > Is there any way I can do some sort of search for references to these
user
> > accounts? Would it be easier if I simply deleted the Distribution List
and
> > started again?
> >
> > Anybody with any other suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> > Adrian Robertson

Exchange Cluster

Exchange

Chart Errors
I have created a chart using 100% stacked columns. I want my values to show the % each value contributes to a total. I.E. Overage, Current Collections and Total Goal. The chart looks great; however, whenever I update my current collections, the percentage doesn't calculate correctly. The chart seems to be adding all values together to come up with the percentage need and the goal doesn't seem to shrink. Any ideas? Are Overage, Current collections and Total Goal stacked on top of one another. If so, the % calculated would be based on the total of all three. "Scacci...

New user profile cannot access CRM
Howdy, I had an issue with my windows/domain profile so I wiped it out and created me a new one, on the same machine. Now CRM isn't showing up at all. What's the deal? I can't find it Add/remove programs to reinstall it. The C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM folder is still there with all of the DLLs, and I tried adding crmaddin.dll to Outlook but that just crashed it. How do I get it back, short of manually uninstalling it and from MSDE? Thanks, David Lozzi dlozzi@(remove)delphi-ts.com The problem is, when you wiped out your profile, you most likely also wiped out the CR...

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

User win32 dll
Hi I've an MFC application that has to call the functions of a win32 dll. I have the dll and its header file containing functions headers and lib file. How can I do so. Regards Usman > I've an MFC application that has to call the functions of a win32 dll. I > have the dll and its header file containing functions headers and lib file. > How can I do so. You just need to link against the .lib file. What exactly is that you are not able to do? --- Ajay There's a function in the Dll that I've to use i.e MyDllFunction(unsinged int) In my MFC application, I...

Unable to get TextBoxes property of Worksheet Class Error
I have posted elsewhere to try and get resolution on my issue and decided to ask for help here as well. I have an issue that is driving me crazy. I have a workbook that has multiple sheets and some of these sheets have Textboxes (from the drawing tool) on the sheet with standard naming (i.e. TextBox 1, TextBox 2, etc.) I have a button that executes code that takes and builds an external file with the data from the worksheets, including the TextBoxes. During that process I am checking to see if those worksheets with TextBoxes have anything entered before attempting to grab the...

Exchange / POP3

Sending Error Message
When I press the Send/Receive button, it appears that Outlook 2003 is trying to send 3 or 4 files even though there are no files to be sent. I then get the following error message which quickly disappears: Task 'pop.xxxxxxx.com.au' - Sending reported error (0x80040201): 'Unknown Error 0x80040201'. Outlook seems to work OK otherwise. I do not have Outlook Express installed. I have vet, zonealarm, adaware, spybot etc and can't find any viruses, trojans etc. ...

virus attacks against Exchange

Exchange 2003 #5

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

Pivot Table #5
Dear Reader, I got a block of data in Excel - sheet 1 (26 columns by 806 rows). I try to create a pivot table on sheet 2 BUT whenever I try to add more objects to the layout I receive the following error: "MS Excel cannot make this change because there are too many row or column items drag at least one row or column item off the pivot table, or to the page position..." What can I do to display all the data? Please help, this is rather urgent! Thanks From a post by Tom Ogilvy: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=157486 XL97: Limits of PivotTables in Microsoft Excel 97 (Q15748...

Directory Permissions 5.5
Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory (c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5 Thanks DU "uelman" <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory >(c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5 IIRC, it's inherited from the root domain. In most cases that means the Everyone group has full control. Defaults aren't adequate. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm is it wise to have the everyone group with full control, i'm nervous giv...

Third request for help with Payables Error message!
Ok I have posted this for the third time with no response! I need help to know if there is any kind of issue on the back end of our environment. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated! We are currently running GP 10 SP1 and apparently since version 8 (we did not upgrade to 9) there has been the following error message while launching a transaction out of Smartlist, when we go to inquiry for AP documents, and drill down of PMTRX & PMCHK from the JE inquiry view: Unhandeled Script Exception: Index 0 array of 'PM_Transaction_Inquiry_Fill' Script terminated We ran a ...

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

antigen on exchange #2

Outlook to Domino connector; setting default email account
Hi, I'm using the Outlook to Lotus Domino/Notes connector to access our calendar system and contacts. But I use an IMAP account for receiving and sending mail. The problem is that even though I have set the IMAP account to be the default account, all new mail, (when I choose " New Mail message") is sent via the domino server. If I click the "Accounts" drop down button the first name on the list is Outlook Connector for Domino, but the IMAP account is listed as account number 1, and the Outlook connector for Domino is listed as number 2. Any suggestion swould be...