Exchange 5.5 (latest SP and hotfixes) and Outlook 2k and 2003 Send/Receive Issue

I am running Exchange 5.5 Standard with latest of everything.  My clients
are running either 2k or 2003, most being 2k.  I have an issue with all
clients when sending receiving e-mail.  Mail is no longer instantly sent or
received.  Mail sent stays in the Outbox until I change folders or click on
a different e-mail message.  Same way with receiving mail.  People will have
Outlook open and sitting in Inbox.  If they don't move around no messages
come in.  But the moment they select a new folder/e-mail, etc. a slew of
messages come in.

What is the problem and how do I correct?

Thank you.

0
eg1 (5)

The problem is somewhere between the client and the server, UDP packets are
being blocked.  Are your clients running on XP SP2?  If so, you may have to
add outlook to the exception list on the built-in firewall.  If they are not
running XP SP2, then you need to figure out what is blocking UDP betwen the
clients and server.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Ed Gregory" <eg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am running Exchange 5.5 Standard with latest of everything.  My clients
> are running either 2k or 2003, most being 2k.  I have an issue with all
> clients when sending receiving e-mail.  Mail is no longer instantly sent
> or
> received.  Mail sent stays in the Outbox until I change folders or click
> on
> a different e-mail message.  Same way with receiving mail.  People will
> have
> Outlook open and sitting in Inbox.  If they don't move around no messages
> come in.  But the moment they select a new folder/e-mail, etc. a slew of
> messages come in.
>
> What is the problem and how do I correct?
>
> Thank you.

0
Ben
9/12/2005 5:27:17 PM
Thanks for response.  Yes, XP SP2.  I added two rules, one for Outlook 2003
and one 2000.  The problem was corrected for Office 2003 but not for 2000.
There is nothing blocking except for possibly the XP firewall.  It is on LAN
and exch box has no firewall and only switches exist between computers.

Thanks again.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:Oeb9t$7tFHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The problem is somewhere between the client and the server, UDP packets
> are being blocked.  Are your clients running on XP SP2?  If so, you may
> have to add outlook to the exception list on the built-in firewall.  If
> they are not running XP SP2, then you need to figure out what is blocking
> UDP betwen the clients and server.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "Ed Gregory" <eg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am running Exchange 5.5 Standard with latest of everything.  My clients
>> are running either 2k or 2003, most being 2k.  I have an issue with all
>> clients when sending receiving e-mail.  Mail is no longer instantly sent
>> or
>> received.  Mail sent stays in the Outbox until I change folders or click
>> on
>> a different e-mail message.  Same way with receiving mail.  People will
>> have
>> Outlook open and sitting in Inbox.  If they don't move around no messages
>> come in.  But the moment they select a new folder/e-mail, etc. a slew of
>> messages come in.
>>
>> What is the problem and how do I correct?
>>
>> Thank you.

0
eg1 (5)
9/12/2005 6:34:03 PM
Can you try temporarily disabling the XP Firewall and see if that fixes it?
How did you add the rules?  GPO?  If so, can you try adding the exceptions
from a client manually that has Outlook 2000?

--

> Thanks for response.  Yes, XP SP2.  I added two rules, one for Outlook
> 2003 and one 2000.  The problem was corrected for Office 2003 but not for
> 2000. There is nothing blocking except for possibly the XP firewall.  It
> is on LAN and exch box has no firewall and only switches exist between
> computers.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
> in message news:Oeb9t$7tFHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> The problem is somewhere between the client and the server, UDP packets
>> are being blocked.  Are your clients running on XP SP2?  If so, you may
>> have to add outlook to the exception list on the built-in firewall.  If
>> they are not running XP SP2, then you need to figure out what is blocking
>> UDP betwen the clients and server.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "Ed Gregory" <eg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I am running Exchange 5.5 Standard with latest of everything.  My clients
>>> are running either 2k or 2003, most being 2k.  I have an issue with all
>>> clients when sending receiving e-mail.  Mail is no longer instantly sent
>>> or
>>> received.  Mail sent stays in the Outbox until I change folders or click
>>> on
>>> a different e-mail message.  Same way with receiving mail.  People will
>>> have
>>> Outlook open and sitting in Inbox.  If they don't move around no
>>> messages
>>> come in.  But the moment they select a new folder/e-mail, etc. a slew of
>>> messages come in.
>>>
>>> What is the problem and how do I correct?
>>>
>>> Thank you.

0
Ben
9/12/2005 6:57:50 PM
Yes, if XP firewall is disabled all is well.  Yes, through GPO.  I also
tried manually before using GPO and that made no difference.

One thing, I have Exch configured to only use ports 5000 and 5001 due to VPN
IP filters for my remote users.  There is a KB article for this.  Would I
have to allow these also even though exception is already specified for
Outlook?

in message news:uLOmgv8tFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Can you try temporarily disabling the XP Firewall and see if that fixes
> it? How did you add the rules?  GPO?  If so, can you try adding the
> exceptions from a client manually that has Outlook 2000?
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "Ed Gregory" <eg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for response.  Yes, XP SP2.  I added two rules, one for Outlook
>> 2003 and one 2000.  The problem was corrected for Office 2003 but not for
>> 2000. There is nothing blocking except for possibly the XP firewall.  It
>> is on LAN and exch box has no firewall and only switches exist between
>> computers.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom>
>> wrote in message news:Oeb9t$7tFHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> The problem is somewhere between the client and the server, UDP packets
>>> are being blocked.  Are your clients running on XP SP2?  If so, you may
>>> have to add outlook to the exception list on the built-in firewall.  If
>>> they are not running XP SP2, then you need to figure out what is
>>> blocking UDP betwen the clients and server.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ben Winzenz
>>> Exchange MVP
>>> MessageOne
>>>

>>> "Ed Gregory" <eg@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
eg1 (5)
9/12/2005 7:32:04 PM
IIRC, you just need to add the exception for outlook.exe.  It's not always
required, though, which is odd.  For example, on my current computer,
outlook is NOT in the exception list, and works fine without any issues.

There should not be any issues with the ports that I am aware of.

--

> Yes, if XP firewall is disabled all is well.  Yes, through GPO.  I also
> tried manually before using GPO and that made no difference.
>
> One thing, I have Exch configured to only use ports 5000 and 5001 due to
> VPN IP filters for my remote users.  There is a KB article for this.
> Would I have to allow these also even though exception is already
> specified for Outlook?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
> in message news:uLOmgv8tFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Can you try temporarily disabling the XP Firewall and see if that fixes
>> it? How did you add the rules?  GPO?  If so, can you try adding the
>> exceptions from a client manually that has Outlook 2000?
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "Ed Gregory" <eg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for response.  Yes, XP SP2.  I added two rules, one for Outlook
>>> 2003 and one 2000.  The problem was corrected for Office 2003 but not
>>> for 2000. There is nothing blocking except for possibly the XP firewall.
>>> It is on LAN and exch box has no firewall and only switches exist
>>> between computers.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.

0
Ben

Exchange Cluster

Exchange

A "Send To" option is missing from right click menu
Hi: I have win xp pro sp3 here. I have always been able to open a folder with Win Explorer, and right click a file name and then, under "Send To", I would see a choice called "Mail Recipient" which would allow sending that file with my default email program which is Thunderbird. Suddenly, after some years, this choice of "Mail Recipient" no longer is available. Bummer. What to do? Sardine On 12/6/2009 3:42 PM On a whim, Sardine pounded out on the keyboard > Hi: > I have win xp pro sp3 here. > I have always been able to open a fol...

outlook express 6 (no pics in outgoing mail)
I have outlook express 6. I used to have no problem sending pictures in email. Recently, they simply won't go. I have checked all the settings, at least the ones I know of, to no avail. I've gone to the HTML setting and set it to "send pictures". I still, however, get only a box with the picture name on all outgoing mail. Incoming has all pictures as they should be and I can send .jpg's as attachments. Nothing included in the body of the mail works. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! "bill a" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

Minimize closes Outlook
For some reason that I can't find, one of my client's Outlook 2003 closes when she clicks on the minimize button. Does anyone know how to change this so that the minimize button just minimizes? jc <jc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > For some reason that I can't find, one of my client's Outlook 2003 > closes when she clicks on the minimize button. It doesn't close. It minimizes to the system tray. If you really need to see the Outlook process in the task bar, click on the Outlook icon in the system tray and uncheck "Hide when Minimized". -...

Cannot open reports from outlook client
Hey, I have 2 clients with the same problem in that they cannot open reports from the outlook client, but they can access the reports successfully if they run the reports from the server, or if they access the reports web site directly, eg http://server/reports I have checked all registry entries and config files to make sure they specify the server name and not localhost or a dns entry, but still no go. Both clients are running SBS 2003 with outlook 2003 sp2. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks, Topher Maybe this will help. Anne Error message when you try to start Microsoft Outlook a...

Exchange / POP3

Backing Up emails and contacts in outlook 2002
I have had to reformat my computer and have lost all contacts and emails. It is extremely important that this information is retained for my business. How can I back the entire file so that this doesn't happen again. Signed, sincerely upset. Search for .pst files at your hard disk (it may be hidden or in a hidden directory) and save the file. You can at any time open it in Outlook using file/open. Thomas Quester www.outlookfolders.de "Deborah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:5efd01c42dcd$75212ab0$a101280a@phx.gbl... >I have...

virus attacks against Exchange

format numbers with no decimals Excel 2003
I need to display invoice number eg: 145 but i can't seem to get the format cells to work. It keeps rounding it off to a 1 or displays as 1.45. i just upgraded to Excel 2003 my older verison woudl let me do this. Hi just use a format such as 0 "3 digit nubmers with no decimals" wrote: > I need to display invoice number eg: 145 but i can't seem to get the format > cells to work. It keeps rounding it off to a 1 or displays as 1.45. i just > upgraded to Excel 2003 my older verison woudl let me do this. The "0" will not work. it dispalys as a 1 not 145....

Exchange 2003 #5

Automatic Outlook and Outlook express Configuration
Hello, I am looking for a script or an exe file that will ask the users their username, domain, and the email program they are using, delete the old configuration and configure their outlook/outlook express accounts automatically. The scripts I found do not change the incoming and outgoing mail ports (since we use gmail I need to change them). Do you know of any script, .exe file that I can send the users to configure their own accounts? Thank you in advance. Ozgur Ozdemircili ...

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

Linking Visio 2003 Professional to Access 2003 Professional
I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now cannot find the site. So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and field. Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc. What I want to do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes. I also want it to display the various information about each item (serial number, asset number, name, type, etc.). Any help would be appreciated. you might che...

Microsoft Exchange #3

recover mails from .bak file in ms outlook
Dear All I had some problem with MS Outlook (2003). I found that there was a problem with .PST file I tried to repair it with SCANPST.EXE. It repaired my OUTLOOK.PST file but many mails are missing. I had taken bakup of .PST file into .BAK file. Please guide me how can in recover my mails from .BAK file Thanks Vimal -- vimalrupera If you have a backup copy of your pst and you recover it, then you may well find the problem is also recovered. What format is your pst file? - If your pst is open in Outlook, select properties of the personal folders, Advanced, what is sh...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Directory Permissions 5.5
Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory (c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5 Thanks DU "uelman" <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory >(c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5 IIRC, it's inherited from the root domain. In most cases that means the Everyone group has full control. Defaults aren't adequate. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm is it wise to have the everyone group with full control, i'm nervous giv...

Outlook with Infopath question
I recieved an infopath form via email (as we want to use this option) and am unable to open it correctly. My computer is running Vista Enterpise SP2 with office 2007 enterprise SP2. Infopath is installed and email forms are enabled in outlook advanced properties. It may be worth mentioning Microsoft XML editor 2007 is also installed on this computer in case that matters. The error message is as follows: Microsoft Office InfoPath is set to be the e-mail editor. However, InfoPath is unavailable, not installed, or a different version from Outlook. InfoPath editor will be turned off, a...

Outlook Rules #6
I have a problem with my rules. All of them appear to be corrupt. The conditions used to create them are greyed out in the Rules Wizard. When I try to fix them or even to add new rules I get an error message that says: "The operation failed. An object could not be found." Even when I delete all rules, they come back the next time Outlook is started. Is there a way to delete everything and start over? I have all of the latest patches and the Repair Outlook function has been run many times. Thanks to anyone who can help. ...

OUT LOOK 2003
How do I transfer all my info from my Out Look 2003 in my computer to a other computer Out Look 2003 that I use.? H2O On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:54:04 -0800, H20 <H20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I transfer all my info from my Out Look 2003 in my computer to a other >computer Out Look 2003 that I use.? > >H2O You may want to post your question in a forum supporting Outlook. This newsgroup is for a different program, Microsoft Access. The Microsoft webpage is sometimes confusing and may have misled you - scroll down the list of subjects and find one for Outloo...