Exchange 5.5 email problem

I have an Active Directory network with an Exchange 5.5 server running on a
Windows NT box.

I am hosting 3 email domains on that box. For example lets call them
mydomain1.com, mydomain2.com and mydomain3.com.

All external emails come in and work just fine except for the mydomain3.com
emails.  My internal Active Dirctory domain is mydomain3.com.

Currently my Exchange server on the NT box is pointing at the internal DNS
server that forwards requests to the outside.  I was thinking my problem is
that and that I might need to have the NT box with Exchange on it use our
ISP DNS servers instead.

Any ideas?  I read something about Active Directory Connector, but didn't
know if I need to look at that or how the DNS settings are set up on the
Exchange server.

Thanks....if anyone wants to email me directly...feel free!!

0
chrisj1 (34)

"CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:

>I have an Active Directory network with an Exchange 5.5 server running on a
>Windows NT box.
>
>I am hosting 3 email domains on that box. For example lets call them
>mydomain1.com, mydomain2.com and mydomain3.com.
>
>All external emails come in and work just fine except for the mydomain3.com
>emails.  My internal Active Dirctory domain is mydomain3.com.
>
>Currently my Exchange server on the NT box is pointing at the internal DNS
>server that forwards requests to the outside.  I was thinking my problem is
>that and that I might need to have the NT box with Exchange on it use our
>ISP DNS servers instead.
>
>Any ideas?  I read something about Active Directory Connector, but didn't
>know if I need to look at that or how the DNS settings are set up on the
>Exchange server.
>
>Thanks....if anyone wants to email me directly...feel free!!

If your Exchange server is running without ADC then it's not AD aware
(but you'd worked that out)
The Internet Mail Service should receive mail for all three domains
and route them to wherever you need.
Can you confirm that all three domains are set to "Route Inbound"? Or
alternatively two of the domains are routed to a third domain (be it
1, 2 or 3)
Then you need to make sure that you are receiving the mails for
domain3.com in the first place. Is it a registered domain? Does it
have MX records that point to a valid A record in the ISP DNS?
If domain3 isn't valid then you're not going to get mail into it.
Check by doing an nslookup against all three domains and make sure
that they point to the same A record and that the A record matches the
IP address you want the mail delivered to.#

Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP,
FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
Blog: http://www.msexchange.me.uk
0
mark7219 (5667)
> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>
> >I have an Active Directory network with an Exchange 5.5 server running on
> >Windows NT box.
> >
> >I am hosting 3 email domains on that box. For example lets call them
> >mydomain1.com, mydomain2.com and mydomain3.com.
> >
> >All external emails come in and work just fine except for the
mydomain3.com
> >emails.  My internal Active Dirctory domain is mydomain3.com.
> >
> >Currently my Exchange server on the NT box is pointing at the internal
DNS
> >server that forwards requests to the outside.  I was thinking my problem
is
> >that and that I might need to have the NT box with Exchange on it use our
> >ISP DNS servers instead.
> >
> >Any ideas?  I read something about Active Directory Connector, but didn't
> >know if I need to look at that or how the DNS settings are set up on the
> >Exchange server.
> >
> >Thanks....if anyone wants to email me directly...feel free!!
> >
> If your Exchange server is running without ADC then it's not AD aware
> (but you'd worked that out)
> The Internet Mail Service should receive mail for all three domains
> and route them to wherever you need.
> Can you confirm that all three domains are set to "Route Inbound"? Or
> alternatively two of the domains are routed to a third domain (be it
> 1, 2 or 3)
> Then you need to make sure that you are receiving the mails for
> domain3.com in the first place.

Yes, this was under a WinNT domain and and I am testing AD
The Exchange server on the WinNT box has worked with the 3 domains for 4
years just fine.
Now in the AD environment, the 2 other domains work fine, but the one with
the same domain as the internal AD domain does not.

> Is it a registered domain?

Yes and has been working until the test.

 Does it
> have MX records that point to a valid A record in the ISP DNS?

That I don't know.  I am not up to speed on MX records.  Can you point me in
the right direction.

> If domain3 isn't valid then you're not going to get mail into it.
> Check by doing an nslookup against all three domains and make sure
> that they point to the same A record and that the A record matches the
> IP address you want the mail delivered to.#
>

> Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP,
> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
> Blog: http://www.msexchange.me.uk

0
chrisj1 (34)
7/17/2004 2:11:42 PM
Figured it out.. the problem ended up being i simply needed my Exchange
server to have the DNS settings for my ISP, not my internal DNS servers

> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote:
>
> >I have an Active Directory network with an Exchange 5.5 server running on
> >Windows NT box.
> >
> >I am hosting 3 email domains on that box. For example lets call them
> >mydomain1.com, mydomain2.com and mydomain3.com.
> >
> >All external emails come in and work just fine except for the
mydomain3.com
> >emails.  My internal Active Dirctory domain is mydomain3.com.
> >
> >Currently my Exchange server on the NT box is pointing at the internal
DNS
> >server that forwards requests to the outside.  I was thinking my problem
is
> >that and that I might need to have the NT box with Exchange on it use our
> >ISP DNS servers instead.
> >
> >Any ideas?  I read something about Active Directory Connector, but didn't
> >know if I need to look at that or how the DNS settings are set up on the
> >Exchange server.
> >
> >Thanks....if anyone wants to email me directly...feel free!!
> >
> If your Exchange server is running without ADC then it's not AD aware
> (but you'd worked that out)
> The Internet Mail Service should receive mail for all three domains
> and route them to wherever you need.
> Can you confirm that all three domains are set to "Route Inbound"? Or
> alternatively two of the domains are routed to a third domain (be it
> 1, 2 or 3)
> Then you need to make sure that you are receiving the mails for
> domain3.com in the first place. Is it a registered domain? Does it
> have MX records that point to a valid A record in the ISP DNS?
> If domain3 isn't valid then you're not going to get mail into it.
> Check by doing an nslookup against all three domains and make sure
> that they point to the same A record and that the A record matches the
> IP address you want the mail delivered to.#
>

> Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP,
> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
> Blog: http://www.msexchange.me.uk

0
chrisj1 (34)

Exchange Cluster

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

Exch55 incoming email filterint
Hi, What are the most effective way to perform the following filtering on a Exch55 + IMS ? I have already enabled to deny unathorised relaying. 1) specify a list of words appear in subject or message body that will be blocked 2) block possible spams 3) block invalid domain name TIA Steven On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:31:05 +1000, "Steven Wong" <sazabi75@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >What are the most effective way to perform the following filtering on a >Exch55 + IMS ? >I have already enabled to deny unathorised relaying. > >1) specify a list of words appea...

Backing Up emails and contacts in outlook 2002
I have had to reformat my computer and have lost all contacts and emails. It is extremely important that this information is retained for my business. How can I back the entire file so that this doesn't happen again. Signed, sincerely upset. Search for .pst files at your hard disk (it may be hidden or in a hidden directory) and save the file. You can at any time open it in Outlook using file/open. Thomas Quester www.outlookfolders.de "Deborah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:5efd01c42dcd$75212ab0$a101280a@phx.gbl... >I have...

Exchange / POP3

no data in "To" column, IMAP sent email folder
There is no data displayed in the "To" column until the email has been re-opened and then it appears. We are using IMAP folders & this applies to the Sent Email folder. Does anyone know a fix for this? In message <<056b01c3aa37$c305b440$a101280a@phx.gbl>> "Tim" <tpienaar@bigpond.com> did ramble: >There is no data displayed in the "To" column until the >email has been re-opened and then it appears. We are using >IMAP folders & this applies to the Sent Email folder. >Does anyone know a fix for this? If you set Outlook to down...

virus attacks against Exchange

Timezone and date problems Vista / XP
Hi @ all, users reported 2 issues to me where I'm currently not finding a solution for. 1.) We have created a custom entity "Training. If Vista CRM client creates an object of that type and setting a date field the date is displayed on a XP client with one day difference. If the XP client corrects the date on both clients the date is the same. Can anyone reproduce that behavior? 2.) On one CRM client occurs that if an email is attached to a contact or lead the sending date of that mail is set to 2045/01/01 instead of send date displayed in Outlook. Does anyone have a solution...

Exchange 2003 #5

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

Headings change when sent to email recipeint
I have created a spreadsheet that uses vertical names in the colum headings. When I send the spreadsheet to an email recipient, th headings revert to a horizontal format and are unreadable because o the narrow width of the columns. How can I prevent this from happening -- johnf4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- johnf45's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1644 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27806 John, Your recipient would have to have the same settings as you. To overcome ...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

how to forward emails with pictures or animated art
My computer does not forward pictures or emails with animation. Does anyone know how to make this function happen dscannell <dscannell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My computer does not forward pictures or emails with animation. Does > anyone know how to make this function happen What happens when you try? What version of Outlook? What type of account? -- Brian Tillman ...

Problems between two Exchange Servers

Pivot Table #5
Dear Reader, I got a block of data in Excel - sheet 1 (26 columns by 806 rows). I try to create a pivot table on sheet 2 BUT whenever I try to add more objects to the layout I receive the following error: "MS Excel cannot make this change because there are too many row or column items drag at least one row or column item off the pivot table, or to the page position..." What can I do to display all the data? Please help, this is rather urgent! Thanks From a post by Tom Ogilvy: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=157486 XL97: Limits of PivotTables in Microsoft Excel 97 (Q15748...

Directory Permissions 5.5
Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory (c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5 Thanks DU "uelman" <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >Could someone dircet me to a link that has the default directory >(c:\exchsrvr) permissions for 5.5 IIRC, it's inherited from the root domain. In most cases that means the Everyone group has full control. Defaults aren't adequate. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm is it wise to have the everyone group with full control, i'm nervous giv...

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

antigen on exchange #2

Outlook to Domino connector; setting default email account
Hi, I'm using the Outlook to Lotus Domino/Notes connector to access our calendar system and contacts. But I use an IMAP account for receiving and sending mail. The problem is that even though I have set the IMAP account to be the default account, all new mail, (when I choose " New Mail message") is sent via the domino server. If I click the "Accounts" drop down button the first name on the list is Outlook Connector for Domino, but the IMAP account is listed as account number 1, and the Outlook connector for Domino is listed as number 2. Any suggestion swould be...