Exchange 2k3 backup - configuring a new server

Finally decided to really learn Exchange... someone else migrated the
Exchange server from SBS to Exchange Enterprise 2k3... I've never really
rolled up my sleeves in learning it in-depth so I've decided to set up a new
server and install the Exchange 2k3 as a backup.

Since I'm a relatively newbie to Exchange, can someone point me in the right
direction to follow so that I can duplicate our live Exchange server onto a
backup box?

Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks,

R Green

your only options for a "backup" box are to use some version of clustering,
or to use a 3rd party solution...NeverFail, Marathon Technologies has
one...there are several out there...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"R Green" <[news}@wowsat.com> wrote in message
> Finally decided to really learn Exchange... someone else migrated the
> Exchange server from SBS to Exchange Enterprise 2k3... I've never really
> rolled up my sleeves in learning it in-depth so I've decided to set up a
new
> server and install the Exchange 2k3 as a backup.
>
> Since I'm a relatively newbie to Exchange, can someone point me in the
right
> direction to follow so that I can duplicate our live Exchange server onto
> backup box?
>
> Any pitfalls to watch out for?
>
> Thanks,
>
> R Green

0
sconkey (3059)
1/20/2006 5:09:40 PM
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:02:36 -0800, "R Green" <[news}@wowsat.com>
wrote:

>Finally decided to really learn Exchange... someone else migrated the
>Exchange server from SBS to Exchange Enterprise 2k3... I've never really
>rolled up my sleeves in learning it in-depth so I've decided to set up a new
>server and install the Exchange 2k3 as a backup.
>
>Since I'm a relatively newbie to Exchange, can someone point me in the right
>direction to follow so that I can duplicate our live Exchange server onto a
>backup box?
>
>Any pitfalls to watch out for?
>
>Thanks,
>
>R Green

You can't.
With Exchange you either need to cluster (and you're two years off
being experienced enough to do that) or you can use something like
DoubleTake or Neverfail (and you're a good year off being ready for
that as well)

Just make sure that you have good backups and then use that spare box
as a VMware box or something and do restores into some virtuals
0
mark7219 (5666)

DPM 2007 SP1 , Server 2008 R2 , Hyper-V
When creating a protection group, I select my hyper-v server but can only see the dpmdb , no guests My DPM is installed on the hyper-V server What am I doing wrong ? Before making the hyper-v server a dpm server, i could see the vm's from my other DPM 2007 SP1 server By default, you can only backup DPMDB from the DPM server. This is by design. Here is the info: http://santhoshsivarajan.blogspot.com/2009/10/local-data-protection-on-dpm-server.html You can enable the local data protection using the following cmdlet: Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerName servername -A...

Exchange Cluster

1st Line in new docs
Hi When I used to type a new doc there was a gap at the top so the text appeared at the same point as when it was printed. Now there's no gap; the text appears right at the top of the screen although it still prints with the gap there. How do I change it so the text appears where it will print. I'm on Word 2007 TIA Tim Move the mouse cursor to the top of the document until it changes to two vertically opposed arrows and a tool-tip "Double-click to show white space" appears, then do that. The display of the white space can also be controlled by c...

why I see times new roman?
I have several html email messages composed in outlook express 6, I'm sure I highlited all text and set it to Arial 10. Then I drag the file to desktop, move it to vista windows mail draggin into inbox or other folder. The result is some parts of text shows arial 10 but some others Times new roman 10 or 12 what is annoying, because I use all arial 10, so I have to manually forward the email, highligh it again and set arial 10 and then, yes, I can see it properly. I checked the compose default font and everything is fine. Why is that? Is there any work around , helo...

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

New user profile cannot access CRM
Howdy, I had an issue with my windows/domain profile so I wiped it out and created me a new one, on the same machine. Now CRM isn't showing up at all. What's the deal? I can't find it Add/remove programs to reinstall it. The C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM folder is still there with all of the DLLs, and I tried adding crmaddin.dll to Outlook but that just crashed it. How do I get it back, short of manually uninstalling it and from MSDE? Thanks, David Lozzi dlozzi@(remove)delphi-ts.com The problem is, when you wiped out your profile, you most likely also wiped out the CR...

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

Exchange 2003 #5

Open Subform in a New Window using a command button
I have a form with a subform which does exactly what I need. However, I want to someway change the subform to a command button so when you click the command button, it will open the subform using the same filter. My form is frmPatent and the subform is sfRelated. The Link Child Field is RelatedMtr and the Link Master Fields is Matter. Can anyone assist me. Thanks! LDMueller Place a button on the form and try this in VBA: docmd.openform "subformname", acnormal,,"RelatedMtr= '" & me.matter & "'" replace the subformname with your own subfo...

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

SQL Server 2008
Hi: I realize that these newsgroups are mostly for technical discussions. So, if it's more appropriate to point me to another site for answers to the questions that I'm about to ask, then please do so. I just learned that there is going to be a SQL Server 2008. I am a certified DBA (MCITP) for SQL Server 2005. Will there be an exam upgrade path from 2005 to 2008? Does anyone out there have any certification information for 2008, even though 2008 is not out yet? Will the SQL Server 2005 MCITP certification expire anytime soon? More importantly, will there be compatibility ...

Problems between two Exchange Servers

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

antigen on exchange #2

SMTP Relay Server and Mail Aliases
Hi! I have front-end and back-end Exchange. I do not want that my front-end Exchange has SMTP relay functionality. I want to deploy a SMTP relay server in DMZ. My problem is: This SMTP relay server is not a member of my Exchnage AD domain and does not know about mail aliases in my Exchange domain. I do not want that I open additional ports on firewall which is between my Exchange domain and SMTP mail relay. My question is: How can I inform that SMTP relay server knows about all mail aliases on my Exchange domain? Best Regards Mustafa "mustafa" <mustafa@discussions.microso...

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...