Exchange 2003 Storage Size Limit

Hi,
Is there a way that I can restrict my Exchange administrators from manually
modified the storage size for individual users profiles? Somthing like a AD
policy.

Thanks
0
TonyNegron (46)

Why would this do this? Either you trust them or you don't. If you don't
then they shouldn't be admins. I don't believe the mailbox limits are
exposed via Group Policy.

Nue
"Tony Negron" <TonyNegron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Is there a way that I can restrict my Exchange administrators from
> manually
> modified the storage size for individual users profiles? Somthing like a
> AD
> policy.
>
> Thanks

0
imaneophyte (3004)
3/2/2006 10:29:00 PM
Thanks for you reply, however, I’m not looking for a personal opinion, what I
need to know is if it can be done or not. Trust is not a free for all, is
something that is earn.

"Nuevo" wrote:

> Why would this do this? Either you trust them or you don't. If you don't
> then they shouldn't be admins. I don't believe the mailbox limits are
> exposed via Group Policy.
>
> Nue
> "Tony Negron" <TonyNegron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Is there a way that I can restrict my Exchange administrators from
> > manually
> > modified the storage size for individual users profiles? Somthing like a
> > AD
> > policy.
> >
> > Thanks

0
TonyNegron (46)
3/2/2006 10:47:33 PM
I was going to say that you could potentially do this with a Server policy
(Exchange System Manager, not Group Policy), but it looks like that only
controls the default settings on the mailbox store - I don't believe it
prevents someone from not using the mailbox store defaults on a per-user
basis.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Tony Negron" <TonyNegron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Is there a way that I can restrict my Exchange administrators from
> manually
> modified the storage size for individual users profiles? Somthing like a
> AD
> policy.
>
> Thanks

0
Ben
3/2/2006 10:48:58 PM
"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:edkQ$tkPGHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I was going to say that you could potentially do this with a Server policy
>(Exchange System Manager, not Group Policy), but it looks like that only
>controls the default settings on the mailbox store - I don't believe it
>prevents someone from not using the mailbox store defaults on a per-user
>basis.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Tony Negron" <TonyNegron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Is there a way that I can restrict my Exchange administrators from
>> manually
>> modified the storage size for individual users profiles? Somthing like a
>> AD
>> policy.
>>
>> Thanks

0
fullbrij1 (373)
3/4/2006 6:40:34 PM
The size limit would be an attribute of the user in AD.  You'd have to
carefully craft custom delegated roles to do something like you describe.
It would involve setting permissions on specific attributes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883381/en-us

The reference links in the bottom of the above article should give you an
idea of the level of effort required to do this.

Is it worth it?  Delegating administative tasks always requires a certain
level of trust.  Wouldn't a better approach be "trust but verify" ie. an
audit trail - object auditing?

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:edkQ$tkPGHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I was going to say that you could potentially do this with a Server policy
>(Exchange System Manager, not Group Policy), but it looks like that only
>controls the default settings on the mailbox store - I don't believe it
>prevents someone from not using the mailbox store defaults on a per-user
>basis.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Tony Negron" <TonyNegron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Is there a way that I can restrict my Exchange administrators from
>> manually
>> modified the storage size for individual users profiles? Somthing like a
>> AD
>> policy.
>>
>> Thanks

0
fullbrij1 (373)

Major bug in Outlook 2003?
I recently installed Outlook 2003 and quickly my PST file was full. First I was surprised that there is a limit in size. Then my second surprise was that once my PST file was full a form pops-up showing me different ways to remove emails messages. I closed that form in order to manually delete files, but I noticed that all incoming emails I was receiving were simply lost. Outlook did not stop to get emails from my mailbox and since the PST file was full, the messages were just lost. I lost more than a thousand emails. I believe that this is a major bug. At first I was not sure why all my ema...

outlook 2003 #133
Office 2003 server SBS 2k SP2 AD GPO SUS outlook 2003 with all admin updates user have constant problem with outlook, this is event type: (other users with same config. are ok) Event Type: Error Event Source: Application Hang Event Category: (101) Event ID: 1002 Date: 5.4.2004 Time: 13:27:14 User: N/A Computer: XXXXX Description: Hanging application OUTLOOK.EXE, version 11.0.5510.0, hang module OUTLLIB.DLL, version 11.0.5608.0, hang address 0x00018645. Data: 0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat 0008: 69 6f 6e 20 48 61 6e 67 ion Hang 0010: 20 20 4f 55 54 4c 4f 4f OUTLOO 0018...

Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 migration
I have a client that is setting up a new Exchange 2010 server in a new Active Directory Forest. He currently has an exchange 2007 server in a different forest. He will keep his e-mail domain the same -e.g. acme.com and user mailbox addresses the same -e.g. jsmith@acme.com. He wants to have both servers up simultaneously, then migrate his mail boxes (Some of which are rather large), one by one from the 2007 server to the 2010 server and have the 2007 server forward email for unresolved recipients to the 2010 server until all mailboxes have been moved. I know how to do this...

Exchange 2003 Recipent filtering
Hello all, I'm running a Windows 2003 exchange server and am having trouble blocking certain users from sending mail to external domains. I've added the users group in the "Delivery Restrictions" tab in "Reject Messages From" in the "Internet Mail SMTP Connector Properties". However they can still send out. This exchange system was migrated from a 5.5 system. I thought switching the server to Native Mode would help, but it hasn't. I also tried putting a specific user's name in the "Recipient Filtering" and "Sender Filtering" ta...

Periodical events from Exchange
Hello: First of all, I have to say I'm newbie at Exchange and Windows developing; matters of work have lead me to this area. I have to build a plug-in for Exchange which must start running when a certain event is launched (that means, as I've read, an "event sink"). My questions are: 1) How can I create new specific events for Exchange? 2) Could I launch such an event periodically from Exchange (by managing tools, may be)? 3) Can Exchange communicate with other directory services apart from Microsoft Active Directory (I suppose using LDAP)? Thank you very much for you...

Form Corruption in Access 2003
I have a form with 4 subforms and plenty of assorted objects on it. The form works great until (a user found this feature and I can recreate it) the user selects a text box and sorts the form via that data item. At this point, I believe the form is corrupted. The user can edit data from records that exist, but when the user attempts to add a new records we get one of those famous "Microsoft Office Access has encountered a problem...." and shuts down. I can then import that form from a backup and everything works well until the sort occurs again. Also, it doesn't matt...

Exchange 2003 with ISA 200 Not working...
Dear Sir, I finished setup my Exchange server 2003 on my Windows 2003 Standered Edition , and published it from behined my ISA server 2000 the domain of the active directory for the server is called "Localnet" , but I want to make this Exchange server resonsible for mail transactions of the public domain " Hazem.com", Hazem.com is already registered domain and I changed the MX record to point to the external interface of my ISA server 2000. I modified the default policy of exchange server to be responsiible for "@Hazem.com" and this is to be the primary. I created...

AOL to Outlook 2003, transfer contacts and favorites, help?
Moving from 7 years of AOL service to a new ISP and using Outlook 2003 now. How do I avoid having to copy/paste hundreds of contacts one at a time from my AOL address book to Outlook. Also have lots of 'favorites' on AOL I would like to keep... Jakfrost "Jakfrost" <Jakfrost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:924061C2-70C6-45DE-BA7D-9533902A9783@microsoft.com... > Moving from 7 years of AOL service to a new ISP and using Outlook 2003 > now. > How do I avoid having to copy/paste hundreds of contacts one at a time > from > my AOL addres...

Hosted Exchange Email config?
Hello all, I'm fairly new to these newsgroups so apologies if I have missed any protocols (and also if I am posting in the wrong place!) I wanted to know what the best method (and components to use) would be in the following situation: The client uses hosted Exchange email boxes (they get emails through Outlook), but as it's hosted, access to the Exchange server is not allowed. They will have CRM 4.0 and I wanted to know what I would need to set up (email config-wise) that would give them email tracking and the queuing functionality. I understand that normally the email rout...

Exchange 5.5 with Active Directory
Here is my setup: 3 Windows 2000 Servers named PHOENIX, MARS, APOLLO 3 Linux Servers named (SLEEPY, ZEKE, SUN) Active Directory setup on PHOENIX, MARS Windows 2000 DNS setup on PHOENIX, MARS BIND setup on SLEEPY, ZEKE Sendmail setup on SUN Exchange 5.5 setup on MARS EBTECH.NET is our the name of our Active Directory We use Exchange on MARS for our internal mail which connects to SUN to send messages to people that are not in Exchange. The problem is that with Active Directory setup any email sent to people outside of our Exchange Server who have @ebtech.net in their email addresses gets bounc...

Exchange SErvices don't stop normally
We have a batch file that stops all services before a full backup everynight. All of a sudden the Exchange services started to misbehave. The MSExchangeIMC stops ok, then MSExchangeMTA and that's it. All of the other services don't stop even though they should. In the Event Viewer it's recorded Event ID 2000 (right after the MTA stops), source MSExchangeIS saying "Event ID 2000: Verify that the Microsoft Exchange MTA has started. Consecutive ma-open calls are failing with error 3051. If we reboot the server, that night the batch file can successfully shut down all services...

Problem installing SP2 for Exchange 2003 on front end server
We have Exchange 2003 sp1 Enterprise running on Windows 2003 sp1 Enterprise. I'm trying install SP2 on the systems. We have a front end server for OWA, and two back end servers with the mailboxes. I know you need to upgrade the front end servers first, but when I try to do the SP2 install on the OWA server, I get the "Setup is loading installation." box, followed a few seconds later by "A fatal setup error has occurred. Look at c:\documents and settings.eventlog.txt for more information. Cancelling setup" The eventlog.txt has a number of normal looking statu...

Outlook 2003 via network with proxy
Hi all, I have a configuration in my little home network where one machine is = connected to the internet and another one is using the ICS to get = connected too. The "online machine" has a special configuration using a = local proxy for a satellite connection, which works very well with all = internet connections. The second machine can connect via http by = specifying the first machine as proxy (192.168.0.1, port 8080), which also = works very well. The only problem is Outlook 2003 on the second machine. For http I can = specify a proxy making so the connection work, for Outloo...

File Size Limits
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times... What are the "file size" limits for different versions of Excel? In particular I'm interested in what it is for 2000. Thanks Hi John If you mean size of sheet it is currently 256 columns x 65536 rows. This will rise substantially when Excel 12 ships later this year 16,000 columns x 1 million rows. as far as File size is concerned, then that's going to be some limitation in terms of disk size and RAM. -- Regards Roger Govier "JohnB" <jbrigan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ONUyVbtFG...

Exchange 2003 hotfix...OWA attachment issue
I need to know if the Exchange 2003 SP1 included the hotfix 838236 Post-RTM Rollup. According to the KB article it is included in the SP1 update, but if you look at the SP1 bug fixes, it never mentions this issue or the KB article. The issue is one others are also having, dealing with attachments not visible in OWA. From the sounds of the KB article 827637 it is the answer to this issue for us. But before we install it, we want to verify whether or not it was actually part of SP1 (which is already installed on our Exchange 2003server). Also, if anyone else has this problem and ca...

Outlook 2003 'file as' option
Jusr recently upgraded from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003. Previously, all contacts were filed as lastname, firstname and sync'd appropriately. After upgrade, new names are listed firstname, lastname (note comma placement). I have verified that lastname, firstname options are all turned on in outlook address books and default 'file as' order. I can force the comma placement, but when I sync, the name still shows Bill, Smith, filed on the palm in the B's. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. WK This is a function of your synchronization software. Check your Contacts...

hyperlinks in a file in an exchange folder
Can I put hyperlinks in a file in an exchange folder to link to files stored in sub folders under that exchange folder? I know that I can link back to a network drive, which is what I am doing now, but I want to give hyperlink access to files to users who do not have access to our network drives, but have access to exchage folders. Thanks Greg ...

exchange cache mode question
Hi I am using Outlook 2003 with Exchange Cache mode enabled and using Exchange 2003 as my mail server. I was wondering. Since I have ECM enabled and if I unplug my laptop from network, my outlook still be functional because of the cache mode. However lets say I access my mailbox using OWA (outlook web acccess) and delete an email from my inbox. Email is deleted. However the same email still exist in my outlook in my laptop because of cache mode. If I connect my laptop back to network and force a sync, will the outlook update my mailbox and copies back the deleted email into my inbox? If n...

Recover data from Exchange 5.5
We have a NT 4 server running Exchange 5.5 and it crashed. We decided since we were reloading to buy and load Server 2003 and Exchange 2003. I still have the old folders with the Exchange 5.5 data in them. But can't find a way to import the old mail box data. Is there any way to do that without the actual Exchange 5.5 server still running? nope...you need to build a 5.5 recovery server, restore the databases, and use exmerge to extract the data from the mailboxes, then import the resulting pst files into your new mailboxes...unless you purchase something like Quest's Recovery ...

Importing Contacts from Word via Excel, Outlook 2003
I have a list of names and phone numbers in a Word document. I need to get this list into my Contacts but in a new category. I've put the list into an Excel document - is there any formatting I should do first, can I specify the category as the import is done, and what format should I save the file in? Thanks "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message news:OKrilQ7OHHA.992@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I have a list of names and phone numbers in a Word document. I need to get >this list into my Contacts but in a new category. > I've put the list...

Exchange 5.5
Are there any problems with changing the password on the Exchange 5.5 service account? nope...see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/157780/en-us -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Tim" <tjc7546@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:777A4324-A65A-4644-B52A-11BB26DD174B@microsoft.com... > Are there any problems with changing the password on the Exchange 5.5 service > account? ...

Increase size of Legend Key in Pie Charts
Hi, Does anyone know how to increase the size of legend keys (the colour blocks) in charts (am presently working on pie charts...)??? I'd prefer not to increase the size of the font... Thanks in advance :-) Unfortunately, the size of the legend keys is tied to the font size. You can change the color, but there is not a way to change just the size of the legend key. "Mark" wrote: > > Hi, > > Does anyone know how to increase the size of legend keys (the colour blocks) > in charts (am presently working on pie charts...)??? > > I'd prefer not t...

outlook 2003
Why can't I open outlook anymore!!! I keep getting the error, outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. here is the error signiture AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.8217.0 ModName: ntdll.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.5755 Offset: 00036f63 I have no idea what else to do. I've run the debug, I've uninstalled and reinstalled and still nothing. ...

CRM and SBS 2003
I cannot log into CRM. I have SBS 2003 installed and working great. I followed the directions in Chapter 15 of the IG for the CRM. The message that I get is: User Access Error The system could not log you on. This could be because: you are not a Microsoft CRM user, or ... I have followed everything and double-checked everything (or have I). Please help... Ok, do you have to absolutly use SBS 2003? it is very finicky when it comes to installation, and it tends to complain if you changes things after you intall.. recomenda >-----Original Message----- >I cannot log into CRM...

objectGUID of a Exchange member server
I have to perform a regmod that will allow me to expand the info store past 18gb. However to do this I need to get the objectGUID of the Exchange server. Everything I discovered so far pertains to locating the objectGUID on a DC or BDC server to which I've had no problem finding the objectGUID. How would one locate the objectGUID on a Exchange Standard 2003 SP2 member server? Here's a script. http://www.exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/03/script-get-store-guids.html -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------...