Exchange 2003 SMTP lockdown #2

How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for
internal users and users that connect using pop3.

Thanks
Amador

0
agomez (10)

I am also having this problem. I must have not configured something
somewhere. But to explain further.......
If i use my home pc to connect to our mail server and send a mail from say
fred@company.com to
Paul@company.com it will get sent. This means that if someone gets hold of a
few of our company addresses, they can send mails to them.
Our server needs auth if you are sending from fred@company.com to
paul@hotmail.com so thats ok.

Any help please

Paul

"Amador Gomez" <agomez@pcerrors.net> wrote in message
> How do I secure smtp to only let authenticated users send e-mails for
> internal users and users that connect using pop3.
>
> Thanks
> Amador

0
news48 (1)
9/16/2004 9:08:12 AM
"Paul Fagg" <news@stomp-systems.co.uk> wrote:

>I am also having this problem. I must have not configured something
>somewhere. But to explain further.......

Before you explain, let me ask a question: Is it your intention that
nobody will be able to send mail to your users unless you create an
account for them and they agree to have their SMTP server authenticate
with your server? IOW, no mailing lists, no virus alerts, etc.

>If i use my home pc to connect to our mail server and send a mail from say
>fred@company.com to
>Paul@company.com it will get sent.

It would be accepted by your server no matter what the "MAIL FROM"
address is.

>This means that if someone gets hold of a
>few of our company addresses, they can send mails to them.

Yup. That the way anonymous SMTP mail works.

>Our server needs auth if you are sending from fred@company.com to
>paul@hotmail.com so thats ok.

That's a horse of a different color. Preventing abuse of your system
as a SMTP relay is a good thing. Asking every SMTP server to use an
account you issue to them, and expecting them to do so, is not
reasonable.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Exchange Cluster

MDE in Access 2003
My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office XP. I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created with Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot open the MDE file. They receive an error that says something like "file is incorrect format." (And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing reference to web components that impedes the database from executing formulas and it gives an error message. In order to check-off the missing reference, I have to open the data...

Exchange

Publisher v2.0 #2
I have an old HP PC (Windows 98) and trying to save old Publisher v2.0 documents (kids school work,etc.) prior to getting rid of the computer. Was able to save files to a CD. Installed Publisher 2007 to my new HP (Windows Vista). When I try to open the saved files on the new PC, I get "unable to open files because created with an older version no longer supported (or something like that.) What can I do to open the files in my new computer? Still have the installation discs for Publisher v2.0, but my new computer does not have a floppy disc drive. What can I do? Thanks. "...

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

2003: Desktop alerts on IMAP messages?
Sometimes I think I'm dating an airhead, because everytime I go out with Microsoft, she looks more beautiful than ever, but at heart she's still a bubble- gum chewing ditz. So it is with Outlook 2003 My work email uses an IMAP server, but Outlook won't let me get desktop alerts on my IMAP folder. It says that it can only do this for the default inbox (and I can't get my IMAP folder to become the default inbox). So, I've been ignoring the default inbox and using the IMAP folder without alerts. I can change the freaking transparency of the alerts, but I can't...

Invoice Due Date #2
Hello, I'm using Money Small Business 2006 and need some help. How can I specify the due date on a invoice? It seems to automatically use the date that the invoice is created on. All help appreciated. Thank you. > How can I specify the due date on a invoice? It seems to automatically > use the date that the invoice is created on. Below the Line Item table there is a link "To add or edit billing and shipping addresses, notes, or other information, go to the Invoice Details". Click that link and you can specify the Payment Terms. I don't see where to specify a cet...

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

In ms word how to put symbols like 2/3? i dont want to use slash.
In ms word how to put symbols like 2/3? i dont want to use slash. i want to use a horizontal line. You can do this with an EQ \f field. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CreateFraction.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "adcodingmaster" <adcodingmaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9269E403-DE1E-4BCF-A523-89041E2D9CDB@microsoft.com... > In ms word how to put symbols like 2/3? i dont want to use slash. i want > to > use a horizontal line. > ...

Exchange 2003 #5

format numbers with no decimals Excel 2003
I need to display invoice number eg: 145 but i can't seem to get the format cells to work. It keeps rounding it off to a 1 or displays as 1.45. i just upgraded to Excel 2003 my older verison woudl let me do this. Hi just use a format such as 0 "3 digit nubmers with no decimals" wrote: > I need to display invoice number eg: 145 but i can't seem to get the format > cells to work. It keeps rounding it off to a 1 or displays as 1.45. i just > upgraded to Excel 2003 my older verison woudl let me do this. The "0" will not work. it dispalys as a 1 not 145....

Intermediate Excel 2003
Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel Skills. I have a reasonable understanding of the main functions and basic formula creation but I wish to develop things a little further? Many thanks in anticipation of any suggestions. Roger Lots of suggestions at: http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "roger lewis" <rogerlewis@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:a4k3j.1531$WJ3.154@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net... > Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel ...

80 quiz lyrics spreadsheet #2
Alan, Rojee, Thank you. As it happens, following rebuilds of my PC, I 'lost' th spreadsheet I has somewhere along the way. No doubt an email or tw will come up trumps. With any luck I'll get back to you in a couple of days. Mar -- mday3 Perpetual traveller - enjoying lif ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mday36's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=683 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26146 ...

Microsoft Exchange #3

Linking Visio 2003 Professional to Access 2003 Professional
I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now cannot find the site. So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and field. Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc. What I want to do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes. I also want it to display the various information about each item (serial number, asset number, name, type, etc.). Any help would be appreciated. you might che...

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

OUT LOOK 2003
How do I transfer all my info from my Out Look 2003 in my computer to a other computer Out Look 2003 that I use.? H2O On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:54:04 -0800, H20 <H20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I transfer all my info from my Out Look 2003 in my computer to a other >computer Out Look 2003 that I use.? > >H2O You may want to post your question in a forum supporting Outlook. This newsgroup is for a different program, Microsoft Access. The Microsoft webpage is sometimes confusing and may have misled you - scroll down the list of subjects and find one for Outloo...

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003