Exchange 2003, lost messages and tracking

AD 2000 domain, single forest, single domain, single exchange site
Exchange 2003
Windows 2003 Ent

I have a strange problem going on here.   I’ve been receiving complaints 
periodically about users not receiving message with xls attachments.  I sent 
the user and myself 3 messages from a test yahoo account with sequential 
subjects (1,2,3…) and a .xls attachment.  I received all 3 messages and 
attachments to my account.  The user in question only received the 2nd and 
3rd message with attachments.

The message tracking center shows all 3 messages being delivered with the 
final entry being “SMTP Store Driver: Message delivered locally to store 
user@domain.com” for all the messages (including the "lost" message).

I’ve checked the spam/AV logs and the messages were not filtered.  Also, 
message filtering is not being preformed by exchange.

Is there anyway to track an attachment through the exchange system?  Are 
there any other tracking or troubleshooting steps that can determine what 
happened to the “lost” message? 

Any advice about the troubleshooting problem would be appreciated.  
Thanks

 
 
 
    
0
Jojo1 (32)
5/26/2005 4:50:03 AM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
1207 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 10

I'd be checking for any Outlook filters that are applied (view filters). 
Check the Dumpster as well.  There is a registry key that allows you to view 
the Dumpster (aka Deleted Items Retention) for all folders.  Is it possible 
that another mail client connected to this mailbox and download or deleted 
the message?

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne


"jojo" <jojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:37CD3136-B504-4D7A-871C-7F7FC05DD46D@microsoft.com...
> AD 2000 domain, single forest, single domain, single exchange site
> Exchange 2003
> Windows 2003 Ent
>
> I have a strange problem going on here.   I've been receiving complaints
> periodically about users not receiving message with xls attachments.  I 
> sent
> the user and myself 3 messages from a test yahoo account with sequential
> subjects (1,2,3.) and a .xls attachment.  I received all 3 messages and
> attachments to my account.  The user in question only received the 2nd and
> 3rd message with attachments.
>
> The message tracking center shows all 3 messages being delivered with the
> final entry being "SMTP Store Driver: Message delivered locally to store
> user@domain.com" for all the messages (including the "lost" message).
>
> I've checked the spam/AV logs and the messages were not filtered.  Also,
> message filtering is not being preformed by exchange.
>
> Is there anyway to track an attachment through the exchange system?  Are
> there any other tracking or troubleshooting steps that can determine what
> happened to the "lost" message?
>
> Any advice about the troubleshooting problem would be appreciated.
> Thanks
>
>
>
>
> 


0
Ben
5/26/2005 2:17:47 PM
The user is not filtering any messages through Outlook.  With the 2 and 3 
messasge going through to her mailbox, I don't understand why the 1st message 
wouldn't pass any filters also.  The messages were identical except for a 
sequencial number in the subject line.

The only other user with access to the mailbox is the veritas backup account 
and only I know the password or that the account exist.  I was sending the 
message w/attachments from a computer in the same room as the user, the 2 and 
3 messages arrived timely, but not the 1st message.  I'll enable the "deleted 
items retension" and see if that sheds any light on the situation.

I can see the message enter the exchange system through the message tracking 
center and be "delivered" to her mailbox.  The details in the message 
tracking center are the exactly the same as the messages that were delivered 
without a problem.

I don't know much about the badmail folder, but I will look in there for any 
signs of a message that has been dropped.  Does that sound ok?

Do you know of anyway to extend the details available in the message 
tracking center?

thanks



"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> I'd be checking for any Outlook filters that are applied (view filters). 
> Check the Dumpster as well.  There is a registry key that allows you to view 
> the Dumpster (aka Deleted Items Retention) for all folders.  Is it possible 
> that another mail client connected to this mailbox and download or deleted 
> the message?
> 
> -- 
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> 
> 
> "jojo" <jojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:37CD3136-B504-4D7A-871C-7F7FC05DD46D@microsoft.com...
> > AD 2000 domain, single forest, single domain, single exchange site
> > Exchange 2003
> > Windows 2003 Ent
> >
> > I have a strange problem going on here.   I've been receiving complaints
> > periodically about users not receiving message with xls attachments.  I 
> > sent
> > the user and myself 3 messages from a test yahoo account with sequential
> > subjects (1,2,3.) and a .xls attachment.  I received all 3 messages and
> > attachments to my account.  The user in question only received the 2nd and
> > 3rd message with attachments.
> >
> > The message tracking center shows all 3 messages being delivered with the
> > final entry being "SMTP Store Driver: Message delivered locally to store
> > user@domain.com" for all the messages (including the "lost" message).
> >
> > I've checked the spam/AV logs and the messages were not filtered.  Also,
> > message filtering is not being preformed by exchange.
> >
> > Is there anyway to track an attachment through the exchange system?  Are
> > there any other tracking or troubleshooting steps that can determine what
> > happened to the "lost" message?
> >
> > Any advice about the troubleshooting problem would be appreciated.
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > 
> 
> 
> 
0
Jojo1 (32)
5/27/2005 8:57:25 PM
There's no harm in inspecting the contents of the badmail folder.  As far as 
message tracking, the best you can do is view the sender/recipient and the 
subject line.

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne


"jojo" <jojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:EA21E419-42DC-4795-8F0E-C0CB7FC6D037@microsoft.com...
>
> The user is not filtering any messages through Outlook.  With the 2 and 3
> messasge going through to her mailbox, I don't understand why the 1st 
> message
> wouldn't pass any filters also.  The messages were identical except for a
> sequencial number in the subject line.
>
> The only other user with access to the mailbox is the veritas backup 
> account
> and only I know the password or that the account exist.  I was sending the
> message w/attachments from a computer in the same room as the user, the 2 
> and
> 3 messages arrived timely, but not the 1st message.  I'll enable the 
> "deleted
> items retension" and see if that sheds any light on the situation.
>
> I can see the message enter the exchange system through the message 
> tracking
> center and be "delivered" to her mailbox.  The details in the message
> tracking center are the exactly the same as the messages that were 
> delivered
> without a problem.
>
> I don't know much about the badmail folder, but I will look in there for 
> any
> signs of a message that has been dropped.  Does that sound ok?
>
> Do you know of anyway to extend the details available in the message
> tracking center?
>
> thanks
>
>
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I'd be checking for any Outlook filters that are applied (view filters).
>> Check the Dumpster as well.  There is a registry key that allows you to 
>> view
>> the Dumpster (aka Deleted Items Retention) for all folders.  Is it 
>> possible
>> that another mail client connected to this mailbox and download or 
>> deleted
>> the message?
>>
>> -- 
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>
>>
>> "jojo" <jojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:37CD3136-B504-4D7A-871C-7F7FC05DD46D@microsoft.com...
>> > AD 2000 domain, single forest, single domain, single exchange site
>> > Exchange 2003
>> > Windows 2003 Ent
>> >
>> > I have a strange problem going on here.   I've been receiving 
>> > complaints
>> > periodically about users not receiving message with xls attachments.  I
>> > sent
>> > the user and myself 3 messages from a test yahoo account with 
>> > sequential
>> > subjects (1,2,3.) and a .xls attachment.  I received all 3 messages and
>> > attachments to my account.  The user in question only received the 2nd 
>> > and
>> > 3rd message with attachments.
>> >
>> > The message tracking center shows all 3 messages being delivered with 
>> > the
>> > final entry being "SMTP Store Driver: Message delivered locally to 
>> > store
>> > user@domain.com" for all the messages (including the "lost" message).
>> >
>> > I've checked the spam/AV logs and the messages were not filtered. 
>> > Also,
>> > message filtering is not being preformed by exchange.
>> >
>> > Is there anyway to track an attachment through the exchange system? 
>> > Are
>> > there any other tracking or troubleshooting steps that can determine 
>> > what
>> > happened to the "lost" message?
>> >
>> > Any advice about the troubleshooting problem would be appreciated.
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>> 


0
Ben
5/31/2005 4:06:47 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Exchange Cluster
I am looking for information regarding deployment of an Exchange Cluster in a Blade configuration. Thanks Ken First and formost, make sure your hardware is on the HCL. Support would only be "best effort" if it is not. The following link will get you to the Deploying Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Clusters: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/default.mspx Exchange 2003 Clusters cna be found in the Exchange 2003 Deploymnet Guide at the following location: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx -- Nicholas ...

MDE in Access 2003
My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office XP. I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created with Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot open the MDE file. They receive an error that says something like "file is incorrect format." (And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing reference to web components that impedes the database from executing formulas and it gives an error message. In order to check-off the missing reference, I have to open the data...

Your message was deleted without being read.
This option was available with exchange 5.5 and earlier outlook clients. Today, we are running exchange 2003 ee server along with outlook 2002 clients. Is there any way to tell if a global message is being deleted by users without being read without turing on the "read receipt" in tracking options? All I want to do is tell which users are deleting the messages internally. Thanks. mike No. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx &qu...

Exchange
In Outlook 2007: 1. Draft folder is visible but contents are not! (i can see the number of message but not the messages) 2. Notes folder is NOT visible. (funny thing is that if i make a shortuct i can see it) In BOTH cases all is OK in OWA. Evan Camilleri http://www.holistic.com.mt http://www.dotnetmushroom.com http://www.mobilesalesman.com 1) Perhaps you have a filter set to your view? Verify that the view has been set to "Sent To" and reset it if necessary. 2) Does it show when you switch to the Notes Navigation or use the Folder List Navigation to see all your folders ...

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003
Hello, I am having troubling applying Exchange 2003 Server SP 2. The error message says I need to uninstall Intelligent Message Filtering BEFORE I install SP2. I try to uninstall IMF and it will not uninstall. The error message says "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Please contact your support personnel or package vendor. .....A Fatal error during installation." I've also reinstalled the original install of IMF and still the same issues. Any thoughts? Thanks, Randy Hughes Reinstall IM...

2003: Desktop alerts on IMAP messages?
Sometimes I think I'm dating an airhead, because everytime I go out with Microsoft, she looks more beautiful than ever, but at heart she's still a bubble- gum chewing ditz. So it is with Outlook 2003 My work email uses an IMAP server, but Outlook won't let me get desktop alerts on my IMAP folder. It says that it can only do this for the default inbox (and I can't get my IMAP folder to become the default inbox). So, I've been ignoring the default inbox and using the IMAP folder without alerts. I can change the freaking transparency of the alerts, but I can't...

Intermittant connection with Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2005
I have a problem affecting just one of our clients. About a third of the messages get through, and about 2 thirds are dropped. We use Exchange Server 2005 and Outlook 2003. The client side is using Microsoft Frontbridge. If we send mail using Outlook Web Access or Evolution, all of the mail is delivered. Can someone tell me why only some of our messages sent via Outlook get delivered while all messages delivered by OWA or Evolution get through? Thanks, Rick ...

restore public folder to Exchange 2003 server from backup copy of the Exchange 5.5 server
Hi, Recently a user deleted a folder witnin the Public Folders on the Exchange 2003 server. When I looked at a backup copy from the backup tape, I could not find the pub1.edb file in the MDBDATA folder. I am using Backup Exec. 8.6. Prior to this, I migrated to Exchange 2003 from Exchage 5.5 and changed my Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. I made a copy of the Exchange 5.5 pub1.edb onto an external hard drive,with its utility. Can i use this copy of the pub1.edb for the existing pub1.edb I have for the Public Folders? If so, what are the steps that I would need to do in performing this act...

Pulling email from exchange server with an exchange account
Hello, I was running a 2003 exchange server but got tired of dealing with the spam, ndr and the rest. I had setup the accounts for everyone including myself. Basically I had in outlook my account setup as an exchange account. Now that our corporate mail is hosted elsewhere I need to pull off my email from my exchange account. I have created POP accounts while using the the IP address for pop and smtp so everything is local when asking to pull. I have also went through an archive trying to get messages to save on my PC so I can then use as PST file, with no success. I have also tried looking f...

Exchange / POP3
In short: How does one go about having exchange POP email for users whom have 3rd party POP 3 server accounts? Expanded Reason: I have an exchange server setup here and I would like to get email to my users from a 3rd party POP3 account. I would normally just change MX records and point to my exchange server and have the email go right to the exchange server, but this ISP will not allow me to receive inbound SMTP. So as it stands; I can send email from my exchange server using my internet connection with out any issues, it's the receiving part that has me hung up, and if I co...

Lost contact list 01-02-10
Having transferred to WLM from Windows Mail I was pleased to see the contacts already listed in the lower lefthand side as they used to do in Outlook Express. However, on clicking a 'down arrow' the list disappeared. I can of course get the contacts via the icon at the bottom or via the 'GO' button but how do I get the list back as before please? WLMail does not display the contact list in the lower left corner. It is easier to start typing a name or address and select from the list. This has the advantage of including other email addresses besides the defaul...

virus attacks against Exchange
I've noticed over the last month that every Sunday morning at 5:45 a.m. our Exchange server sends a CPU warning. When I check the app event log for that date/time there is a *huge* amount of virus detections by our real time virus monitor . What exactly is going on here and how might I prevent this from continuing to happen ? thanks sounds like you have an "on demand" scan of your mailbox store scheduled for this time frame...have you checked? look in the configuration of your Exchange AV... "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message news:uZcfIwKpEHA.33...

Exchange 2003 #5
How many clients/users will Exchange 2003 support? I have heard that it can support up to 10,000 users. Is this correct? "James" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How many clients/users will Exchange 2003 support? I have heard that it can support up to 10,000 users. Is this correct? How long is a piece of string? Define the hardware platform. Define your expectations for perdformance. Define your backup/restore hardware and strategy. Define your expectations for restore/recovery time. The number of mailboxes on a server is meanngless without some context. wi...

format numbers with no decimals Excel 2003
I need to display invoice number eg: 145 but i can't seem to get the format cells to work. It keeps rounding it off to a 1 or displays as 1.45. i just upgraded to Excel 2003 my older verison woudl let me do this. Hi just use a format such as 0 "3 digit nubmers with no decimals" wrote: > I need to display invoice number eg: 145 but i can't seem to get the format > cells to work. It keeps rounding it off to a 1 or displays as 1.45. i just > upgraded to Excel 2003 my older verison woudl let me do this. The "0" will not work. it dispalys as a 1 not 145....

Intermediate Excel 2003
Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel Skills. I have a reasonable understanding of the main functions and basic formula creation but I wish to develop things a little further? Many thanks in anticipation of any suggestions. Roger Lots of suggestions at: http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "roger lewis" <rogerlewis@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:a4k3j.1531$WJ3.154@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net... > Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel ...

Microsoft Exchange #3
When setting up Outlook I clicked on Microsoft Exhange instead of POP3. Now it is stuck wanting Microsoft Exchange Server. How do I get rid of this so I can sign up under POP3. I deleted Office 2003 and reinstalled and it is still there. Thank You Maggi Control Panel->Mail Icon. Create a new Profile using the Profiles = button and configure it to use your POP3 account. Then go back and = delete the Exchange account from the Accounts button. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal acco...

Linking Visio 2003 Professional to Access 2003 Professional
I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now cannot find the site. So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and field. Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc. What I want to do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes. I also want it to display the various information about each item (serial number, asset number, name, type, etc.). Any help would be appreciated. you might che...

Blank message instead of "Do you wish to save changes to your document?"
I'm updating a program that was originally written by someone else. In their original version, when you attempt to close a document window that you made changes in, it gives you the usual dialog box, "Do you wish to save changes to Document, [Yes][No][Cancel]." However, in my new version of the program, the dialog that comes up is blank, although it does have the [Yes][No][Cancel] buttons on it. I'm curious as to what I did to mess this up as I don't recall messing around with document saving anywhere. Where in the code would I look for where it is bringing up the Sav...

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software
Can anyone provide any good help-desk softawre that integrates well with Exchange? Preferably open-source (i.e. FREE :) ) Thanks On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:04:03 -0700, circulent <circulent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anyone provide any good help-desk softawre that integrates well with >Exchange? Preferably open-source (i.e. FREE :) ) > >Thanks You get what you pay for. MOM and its future SCOM 2007 and the helpdesk features of that 2007 product are certainly good products to name just one. As an actionpack subscriber we get MOM Workgroup Edition. does that have...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000
Hi, we are considering to migrate our single windows NT domain to windows 2000, then to upgrade the current exchange 5.5 into Exchange 2000 which is currently in the windows 2000 member server within this NT domain. I know I have one option: * upgrade the PDC to windows 2000 domain control and then exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000. what is the risk here? * my question here is: where could I find the detail steps? I am thinking if I have another option which is: * Migrate the PDC to windows 2000 domain. * Install a saparated exchange 2000 server * move the mail box from exch...

Problems between two Exchange Servers
At my Company we are planning to replace an existing exchange 2000 server (EXS1 NT Pack 4.0 Exchange Sp3) with a new server called (EXS2 NT Pack 4, No Service Pack). So we configured an additional server and added to our primary Site. We moved a few mailboxes to the new server and seem to get outside mail but I see that all the mail sent locally is not been delivered and is stuck in the Queue that is pointing to the new server by name exs2.mydomain.com. I tried to force a connection but it doesnt want send the mail. Please help Gary Vidal Is there more than one routing group? -- reg...

OUT LOOK 2003
How do I transfer all my info from my Out Look 2003 in my computer to a other computer Out Look 2003 that I use.? H2O On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:54:04 -0800, H20 <H20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I transfer all my info from my Out Look 2003 in my computer to a other >computer Out Look 2003 that I use.? > >H2O You may want to post your question in a forum supporting Outlook. This newsgroup is for a different program, Microsoft Access. The Microsoft webpage is sometimes confusing and may have misled you - scroll down the list of subjects and find one for Outloo...

Third request for help with Payables Error message!
Ok I have posted this for the third time with no response! I need help to know if there is any kind of issue on the back end of our environment. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated! We are currently running GP 10 SP1 and apparently since version 8 (we did not upgrade to 9) there has been the following error message while launching a transaction out of Smartlist, when we go to inquiry for AP documents, and drill down of PMTRX & PMCHK from the JE inquiry view: Unhandeled Script Exception: Index 0 array of 'PM_Transaction_Inquiry_Fill' Script terminated We ran a ...

Exchange ignores Outlooks text only setting
we are running excg5.5 sp4, on nt4.0 sp6. we are using office 98, and 2000. The problem we are having is Exchange ignores Outlooks text only setting and send both text and html mime encoded messages. On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 05:55:01 -0700, "mikee" <mikee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >we are running excg5.5 sp4, on nt4.0 sp6. we are using office 98, and 2000. >The problem we are having is Exchange ignores Outlooks text only setting and >send both text and html mime encoded messages. What ticks have you got on the Internet Mail tab > Advanced Options of the I...

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003
I setup protection for Exchange Server 2003 SP2 running on Win2K3 SP2. There are four information storage groups. I am protecting the server using DPM 2010 RC. All of the prerequisite steps were performed successfully. Two of the info storage groups (the small ones - 30GB) backup successfully. The two large info storage groups (125GB each) fail with the following alert message: DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy38\Exchsvr\MdbData\support\Support (ServerName)\Support.edb on ServerName.domain.com (ID 2033 Detai...