Exchange 2003 High Availability

I was curious if someone could point me in the direction on how I can setup
our exchange servers in a way so that if one exchange server goes down the
secondary/backup exchange can be used in its place and then when the primary
is brought back up everything is in sync and works fine.  is this possible
with Exchange 2003?

Also, is there a way so that mail for a domain could be delivered to an
alternate server and held while a primary is down and then send the messages
on to the actual server handling the users mailboxes after it is brought
back online?

Thanks,

Paul

0
pauls2796 (15)

your only option for something like this is clustering or a "standy" server
solution...there are several products out there...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Time Warner Newsgroups" <pauls@pswerks.com> wrote in message
> I was curious if someone could point me in the direction on how I can
setup
> our exchange servers in a way so that if one exchange server goes down the
> secondary/backup exchange can be used in its place and then when the
primary
> is brought back up everything is in sync and works fine.  is this possible
> with Exchange 2003?
>
> Also, is there a way so that mail for a domain could be delivered to an
> alternate server and held while a primary is down and then send the
messages
> on to the actual server handling the users mailboxes after it is brought
> back online?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

0
sconkey (3059)
8/9/2006 4:48:46 PM
There's also a product called Marathon that allows you to run a virtual
server on two physical machines, either one of which can fail without
affecting the virtual server. We're running one of our Exchange servers on
one, and have been impressed so far. Adminstration is easier than with a
normal cluster, as to all appearances you only have one Exchange server, not
two. Performance is very close to what one of the two underlying machines
would've given by itself.

-Peter

"Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> your only option for something like this is clustering or a "standy"
> server
> solution...there are several products out there...
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Time Warner Newsgroups" <pauls@pswerks.com> wrote in message
>> I was curious if someone could point me in the direction on how I can
> setup
>> our exchange servers in a way so that if one exchange server goes down
>> the
>> secondary/backup exchange can be used in its place and then when the
> primary
>> is brought back up everything is in sync and works fine.  is this
>> possible
>> with Exchange 2003?
>>
>> Also, is there a way so that mail for a domain could be delivered to an
>> alternate server and held while a primary is down and then send the
> messages
>> on to the actual server handling the users mailboxes after it is brought
>> back online?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Paul

0
pdurkee (276)
8/9/2006 5:05:54 PM
Has anyone heard of or tried Double-Take?  Our company purchased it
before I arrived and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with
it.

Peter Durkee wrote:
> There's also a product called Marathon that allows you to run a virtual
> server on two physical machines, either one of which can fail without
> affecting the virtual server. We're running one of our Exchange servers on
> one, and have been impressed so far. Adminstration is easier than with a
> normal cluster, as to all appearances you only have one Exchange server, not
> two. Performance is very close to what one of the two underlying machines
> would've given by itself.
>
> -Peter
>
> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > your only option for something like this is clustering or a "standy"
> > server
> > solution...there are several products out there...
> >
> > --
> > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> >

> > "Time Warner Newsgroups" <pauls@pswerks.com> wrote in message
> >> I was curious if someone could point me in the direction on how I can
> > setup
> >> our exchange servers in a way so that if one exchange server goes down
> >> the
> >> secondary/backup exchange can be used in its place and then when the
> > primary
> >> is brought back up everything is in sync and works fine.  is this
> >> possible
> >> with Exchange 2003?
> >>
> >> Also, is there a way so that mail for a domain could be delivered to an
> >> alternate server and held while a primary is down and then send the
> > messages
> >> on to the actual server handling the users mailboxes after it is brought
> >> back online?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Paul

0
bezell (4)
8/9/2006 6:29:45 PM
What do you mean by either one can fail without affecting the virtual
server?  That sounds to me more like load-balancing, not traditional
clustering.

I'm not sure what's so difficult about administering a normal cluster,
either, but that's besides the point :-)

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Peter Durkee" <pdurkee@mac.invalid> wrote in message
> There's also a product called Marathon that allows you to run a virtual
> server on two physical machines, either one of which can fail without
> affecting the virtual server. We're running one of our Exchange servers on
> one, and have been impressed so far. Adminstration is easier than with a
> normal cluster, as to all appearances you only have one Exchange server,
> not two. Performance is very close to what one of the two underlying
> machines would've given by itself.
>
> -Peter
>
> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> your only option for something like this is clustering or a "standy"
>> server
>> solution...there are several products out there...
>>
>> --
>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>

>> "Time Warner Newsgroups" <pauls@pswerks.com> wrote in message
>>> I was curious if someone could point me in the direction on how I can
>> setup
>>> our exchange servers in a way so that if one exchange server goes down
>>> the
>>> secondary/backup exchange can be used in its place and then when the
>> primary
>>> is brought back up everything is in sync and works fine.  is this
>>> possible
>>> with Exchange 2003?
>>>
>>> Also, is there a way so that mail for a domain could be delivered to an
>>> alternate server and held while a primary is down and then send the
>> messages
>>> on to the actual server handling the users mailboxes after it is brought
>>> back online?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Paul

0
Ben
8/9/2006 9:34:25 PM
Either of the underlying real servers can fail, and the virtual server that
rides on both of the underlying servers and contains the Exchange (or
whatever) installation will continue running without missing a beat. This
includes storage failures since each underlying server has its own storage.
You're right that it isn't traditional clustering, and it has both
advantages and disadvantages.

-Peter

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:%23g9wQu$uGHA.4456@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> What do you mean by either one can fail without affecting the virtual
> server?  That sounds to me more like load-balancing, not traditional
> clustering.
>
> I'm not sure what's so difficult about administering a normal cluster,
> either, but that's besides the point :-)
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Peter Durkee" <pdurkee@mac.invalid> wrote in message
>> There's also a product called Marathon that allows you to run a virtual
>> server on two physical machines, either one of which can fail without
>> affecting the virtual server. We're running one of our Exchange servers
>> on one, and have been impressed so far. Adminstration is easier than with
>> a normal cluster, as to all appearances you only have one Exchange
>> server, not two. Performance is very close to what one of the two
>> underlying machines would've given by itself.
>>
>> -Peter
>>
>> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> your only option for something like this is clustering or a "standy"
>>> server
>>> solution...there are several products out there...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>>

>>> "Time Warner Newsgroups" <pauls@pswerks.com> wrote in message
>>> setup
>>> primary

>>> messages

0
pdurkee (276)
8/9/2006 10:36:40 PM
check their website http://www.marathontechnologies.com/
You need two servers with for example server2003 std. Their software creates
a virtual platform on which you can install another MS server.
If one of the servers fails for some reason the virtual server is not
effected and there is no downtime.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:%23g9wQu$uGHA.4456@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> What do you mean by either one can fail without affecting the virtual
> server?  That sounds to me more like load-balancing, not traditional
> clustering.
>
> I'm not sure what's so difficult about administering a normal cluster,
> either, but that's besides the point :-)
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Peter Durkee" <pdurkee@mac.invalid> wrote in message
>> There's also a product called Marathon that allows you to run a virtual
>> server on two physical machines, either one of which can fail without
>> affecting the virtual server. We're running one of our Exchange servers
>> on one, and have been impressed so far. Adminstration is easier than with
>> a normal cluster, as to all appearances you only have one Exchange
>> server, not two. Performance is very close to what one of the two
>> underlying machines would've given by itself.
>>
>> -Peter
>>
>> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> your only option for something like this is clustering or a "standy"
>>> server
>>> solution...there are several products out there...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>>

>>> "Time Warner Newsgroups" <pauls@pswerks.com> wrote in message
>>> setup
>>> primary

>>> messages

0
gerritjan (49)
8/9/2006 10:40:04 PM
can't find pricing on their website. How expensive is this?

> Either of the underlying real servers can fail, and the virtual server
> that rides on both of the underlying servers and contains the Exchange (or
> whatever) installation will continue running without missing a beat. This
> includes storage failures since each underlying server has its own
> storage. You're right that it isn't traditional clustering, and it has
> both advantages and disadvantages.
>
> -Peter
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
> in message news:%23g9wQu$uGHA.4456@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> What do you mean by either one can fail without affecting the virtual
>> server?  That sounds to me more like load-balancing, not traditional
>> clustering.
>>
>> I'm not sure what's so difficult about administering a normal cluster,
>> either, but that's besides the point :-)
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "Peter Durkee" <pdurkee@mac.invalid> wrote in message
>>> There's also a product called Marathon that allows you to run a virtual
>>> server on two physical machines, either one of which can fail without
>>> affecting the virtual server. We're running one of our Exchange servers
>>> on one, and have been impressed so far. Adminstration is easier than
>>> with a normal cluster, as to all appearances you only have one Exchange
>>> server, not two. Performance is very close to what one of the two
>>> underlying machines would've given by itself.
>>>
>>> -Peter
>>>
>>> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message

0
gerritjan (49)

Split window in Outlook 2003?
Hello! I wonder if it's possible to split the window in Outlook 2003 so that you can se both your emails (Inbox with preview) and your calender? -- Andreas Andreas <Andreas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I wonder if it's possible to split the window in Outlook 2003 so that > you can se both your emails (Inbox with preview) and your calender? No need to ask more than once. -- Brian Tillman Brian Tillman wrote: > Andreas <Andreas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >> I wonder if it's possible to split the window in Outlook 2003 so that >...

Outlook 2003
I have just installed Outlook but when attempting to send a message I get two error messages Ox8004210A and B. Both indicate timeout in connecting to the server. I have at other times had messages indicating a failure to connect to the Internet. However, I am using the same PC to connect to the Internet with Internet Explorer and Outlook Express quite successfully. I have checked the setup for email within Outlook several times. I can see no error. We have two PCs linked by Ethernet cable. One is the ICS host and the PC with the problem is the ICS client. Windows Firewall is active on t...

Delete Pages in Publisher 2003
Is there a way to delete many pages at once (More than 2) from a Publisher Doc? This solution was posted by eezzell. I delete multiple pages using a macro First, make a copy of your publisher document. Then, in your copy, create a macro with a name like deletepages. For example to delete pages 10 to 40 you would run this macro: Sub deletepages() Dim firstpage, lastpage As Long firstpage = 10 lastpage = 40 For i = firstpage To lastpage ThisDocument.Pages.Item(firstpage).Delete Next End Sub The first time I tried this, I used the line ThisDocument.Pages.Item(i).Delete forgetting that after a...

Outlook 2003
I added the newsreader to the Go menu. It worked. I rebooted at some point and now the news item is not on the go Menu and it is not avaible to be added. Will I have to restore my system to an earlier date or is there an easier way to add it back. I have no problems working in the registry. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No ...

Regarding Pure Exchange 2003 network
Hi All, I have two Exchange 2003 servers have same organisation, but diffrent sites in diff Active directory. I am having one of them in remote area. My problem is I am notable to see other site server from another site. 1. What connectors do i need to create for sending mails from one site to another site? 2. And what connectors do i need to create for seeing other exchange servers from my site? Thanks, Tharakesh K. On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:45:43 -0700, "Tharakesh" <Tharakeshk@systechusa.com> wrote: >Hi All, > >I have two Exchange 2003 servers have same or...

Exchange 2003 admin tools
I'm trying to locate the install directory for the Users and Computers add-ins that relate to 2003 user mailbox administration. They are on my Exchange 2003 server but not on the AD domain tools which I recently installed on my XP desktop. Thanks for your help. Alan For the benefit of anyone searching for this in the future I am detailing my findings along with a link to the source document. If you've done the same thing with Exchange 5.5 this procedure is a familiar tune. The only difference is you will manage the mailboxes in Active Directory Computers and Users as opposed to a...

Problems after company adopts Exchange 2007
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3345872277_60745520 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Hi I use entourage 2008 to connect via the exchange server to a company that I am involved with. Recently I was informed that they were moving my mailbox to Microsoft Exchange 2007. Since then I have not been able to connect from Entourage, I get a message "Entourage cannot connect to the Exchange Server" "er...

Old servers showing up in "Create an exchange mailbox" wizard.
Greetings, I have a customer who removed some Exchange 5.5 servers in an usual fashion, and as such I removed them from the ORG by using ADSIEDIT to delete them. The problem is these mailbox servers are still showing up as target options in the create a new mailbox selection wizard. How can I clear these dead and gone servers from this list? The SRS databases and ADC are long gone, and the enviornment is native mode 2003. Also I thought at one point making a server a front-end server made it not show up in this list. I see all their front-end servers in this list, so I am guess my recollectio...

Exchange 2007 Management Shell Scripting Question
Hi, I have no experience scripting with powershell or the management shell, and I was looking for a little insight. I just need to do a couple very simple scripts for a recipient admin to run on resource mailboxes. For example, they'd need to run this on a conference room mailbox called testcr: Set-MailboxCalendarSettings testcr =96AutomateProcessing:Autoaccept Set-MailboxCalendarSettings testcr =96DeleteSubject $false The problem being is that we have no way of knowing what mailbox they'll have to run it against as they create them. How would I make the script pro...

CRM on Office 2003
Hi everyone, Currently MS CRM is not supported on Outlook 2003. After installing the software and starting Outlook you get an error "Microsoft CRM folders cannot be installed". I found that every time I close and open Outlook (after saying no to not disable the add-in), 1 more folder is added to the Microsoft CRM Folders. I did this about 13 times and it added all the folders required. After that I could see the toolbar and it looks like everything is working fine. Regards Shane Coetser lol thats persistence "Shane Coetser" <shanec@oakwell.co.za> wrote in m...

enumerate Exchange Servers, Stores and Mailboxes in ASP
I pillaged code from microsoft's website to enumerate various aspects of Exchange which I've included below. The code was used in a web page to create new users and I enumerated the servers to determine which mailbox store to add the user to. Up until late Nov or Early Dec this code worked flawlessly and since then it fails miserably. The line below: objCDOEXMExchangeServer.DataSource.Open (objWMIExchangeServer.Name) generates this error: -2147024809 -- Invalid Argument. Facility: Win32 ID no: 80070057 Microsoft CDO for Exchange Management When I run the script as a vbs file ...

Money 2004 and Pocket PC 2003
Hello all, I have installed Money for Pocket PC from the 2004 CD, on to a HP iPAQ h2215 Pocket PC The iPAQ runs Microsoft� Windows� Mobile 2003 Premium software for Pocket PC/ On my desktop PC (windows XP) I'm using ActiveSync 3.7.1. After I sync the accounts they show the different values in my checking account on the Pocket PC then in the checking account on the PC based money, Then on subsequent Syncs it gets worse. I can't find any correlation between the two figures. I've un/reinstalled the Pocket PC, but when I sync again I get the same results, even the same numbers (more...

accessing contacts on server 2003
i am using citrix terminal which is running on w2k3 sp2 server. mail uses smtp. cannot have personal contacts when creating new message and choosing in TO. get contacts only for the global adresses. Add the Outlook Address Book service to your mail profile and select the Contacts folders that you wish to add. For details see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/contactsinaddressbook.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real W...

Exchange 2003 user permissions
New server running Exchange 2003. We moved the mailboxes to it from an old server running Exchange 2000. The permissions are not working correctly. When I go to file, open, other user folder and choose someone it will not display there inbox, calendar, contacts, etc. I am a member of Administrators, Domain Admin, Enterprise Admins. Temporairliy I have to go to AD, and take take myself out of the mailbox permissions and add myself back, then it works. We have about 100 users and that could take some time, any ideas how to speed up the process? thanks, By default the Domain and Ent...

Receipent policy issue with second exchange server
Hi All, I added second exchange server in exisiting organiztion. Added a user having mailbox on second server.Problem is that mail sent by anyuser having mailbox on first server to a user having mailbox on second server is getting bounced (and vice-versa). I am pretty sure it might be related to recipient policy, however need some hint what to do. Following is the returned mail. My first email server is emailserver.example.com and second email server is exchangemail.example.com Thanks Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: ...

Backup pst files in Outlook 2003
Where does Win XP keep the updated Outlook pst files? I'm trying to re-locate them into sub-folder in My docs but find that the copies of these files in Explorer\User\Application data\microsodt\Outlook do not change date and time from day to day. So where do i find an up to date copy? "PensRep" wrote: > Where does Win XP keep the updated Outlook pst files? I'm trying to re-locate > them into sub-folder in My docs but find that the copies of these files in > Explorer\User\Application data\microsodt\Outlook do not change date and time > from day to day. ...

Re-installed Exchange 2003, strange problem!
Hi, Using SBS 2003 & Exchange 2003 I had to re-install IIS and Exchange earlier today due to IIS becoming a bit pi**ed off with Sharepoint ( but thats another story :|). The re-installation all went fine but there is now a strange issue with received emails, every email that is received is now sent twice to each receipient, once to the correct email address eg User1@domain.com, the other message is sent to the same user but somewhere along the way it has got the following added to it's email address mspop3connector.User1@domain.com When the user receives an email in outlook...

Outlook 2003
I have tried to use these 2 together but can not get word or excel to appear in the journals with automaticly record ticked in options TIA Sam ...

exchange 2003 to exchange 5.5
i have to domains in my lab. the 1st mail server is exchange 5.5 on win2k. the 2nd mail server is exchange server 2003. after installing ADC on exch2003 i could see the recipientns of exc5.5. i tried to send messages to this user, but it didnot work. can you help how this work. best regards ilker bayraktar >>but it didnot work. What happened when you tried? Non-delivery report? bayraktar wrote: > i have to domains in my lab. the 1st mail server is exchange 5.5 on win2k. the 2nd mail server is exchange server 2003. after installing ADC on exch2003 i could see the recipientns of e...

The Microsoft Exchange Server computer does not respond.
Hey guys, I hope someone can help he out with this one... :-) I am getting the following error on my Exchange 5.5 server. I have a Exchange 2003 server on the network that I am trying to move all the users across gradually to. Site - Directory Replication - ADNAutoDRC Properties Popup says: Microsoft Exchange Administrator A connection could not be made to the Microsoft Exchange Server directory on server 'Server1' The Microsoft Exchange Server computer does not respond. Microsoft Exchange Directory ID no: DS_E_COMMUNICATIONS_PROBLEM Can anyone point me in the right direction...

How do I change the Visio 2003 default font size?
I need to change the font size to 6pts for every shape added: Is there a way to set the default font size to be other than 8pts? unfortunately there isn't a "single" place to do it all. If you find that you use several shapes continuously you might consider creating a custom stencil with your shapes and then change the font in them. al "cp@bt" wrote: > I need to change the font size to 6pts for every shape added: Is there a way > to set the default font size to be other than 8pts? Consider also the possibility to fix default drawing settings including fon...

VC++ .NET 2003: XmlValidatingReader via DTD
Hi all, I created an application from the Console Application (.NET) of VC++ .NET 2003, and I did "Build" the application of the attached .cpp file, volcanoes.xml and geology.dtd on my VC++ .NET 2003 - Windows XP Pro PC suscessfully. But when I ran it from the command line - C:\Documents and Settings\SHC\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\XMLdtdValidatingReader\Debug>XMLdtdValidatingReader valcanoes.xml, I got the following message in the console output: -> XML declaration ** Unknown node type -> Comment node, name=, value= Volcano data -> Element node, ...

Outlook 2003: How to read emails in HTML, Rich Text or Plain Text?
Gurus, Some of my users are running Outlook 2003 and others Outlook 2007. Where do I tell them to go if they want a choice to read emails in HTML, Rich Text or Plain Text while NOT using Word as an email editor? -- Spin You typically read email in whatever format it's sent in (unless you actively choose to read the items in Plain Text). "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote in message news:6rc6vnFillqU1@mid.individual.net... > Gurus, > > Some of my users are running Outlook 2003 and others Outlook 2007. Where > do I tell them to go if they want a choice t...

Outlook 2003 OAB Offline Address Book
Platform: Windows XP SP2 Outlook 2003 Exchange 2007 SP1 We originally thought the offline address book was not updating however this is not the case. It seems as if there are multiple “domain.com all” address under the All Address Lists and only one of them are updating against the GAL. I have tried deleting the *.oab files to have the address book rebuilt without sucess. Any thoughts how to remove the “domain.com all” that is not updating? Thanks Chris Hi, this newsgroup is for Office for Mac. Please repost your question in a newsgroup that deals with Office for Windows; while th...

5.5 to 2003 migration
Reading the threads suggest to me that provided I perform a standard move mailbox from (a single) 5.5 server to (a single storage group) on a 2003 server, single-instance storage will be maintained. Have I understood this correctly? Any other factors to consider? Our SIS on 5.5 is 13:1 - I couldn't believe it! Obviously we are concerned of the potential for a very large blowout in store size. Many thanks for your assisance. -- Peter SIS will be maintained moving all the mailboxes from a single store to the same destination store using the move mailbox wizard. Note however that the ...