Exchange 2003 getting clogged?

Hello all,

A client of mine wrote me the following IM's earlier regarding his boss's
email account.  It appears that there hasn't been any change in
configurations on the server and that it was just noticed today/very
recently.  While I'm not an Exchange2003 expert, I have used it a little and
never ran across any clients that have used it before until now.  Does
anyone have any suggestions at what route to take when reading this?  I
admit this discussion with me and the client seems to be broad, but I was
trying to gather as much info as possible to troubleshoot:

Client:  hey do you have any idea why exchange server 2003 would get a whole
bunch of emails to one user trapped and end up leaving like 100 emails in
the queue for like 300 retries?

Me:  hrm, not sure without seeing it

Me:  Was there any configuration changes at all occuring recently?

Client:  Well there shouldn't have been any changes ... it's the server here
at the office and 90% of my boss's emails are getting trapped

Client:  I couldn't find any filters or anything that would stop them it
just shows them with anywhere from 15 - 400 retries

Me:  Is it spam email or just all email in general?

Client:  all email, some gets through.  it's like something is clogged

Me:  does this affect anyone else's address... or just his?

Client:  most of the emails were to his account, but some of them were to
his wife's

Client:  those are the only two I know of for sure

Me:  so it's clogging on more than one account?

Client:  yeah but I would say 95% of them are to his account and there are
no disk quotas or file size quotas

Me:  when did it start?

Client:  I don't know for sure ... it appears to be getting worse recently
but I only found out about it today
if you go into the server administration thing under exchange and click on
servers, then the cieserver, then  like the third one down -- something like
currently sending mail -- I forget what it actually says, then you click on
"find messages" and find all, that's where they are

which queue are they sitting in?

0
aaronw (27)
7/18/2006 10:25:58 PM
My client responded with this:

"I forget what it is called ... it's like the sending queue ... the one all
emails should go in first"

<aaronw@firstmac.com.au> wrote in message
> which queue are they sitting in?

Sounds like the clients Queues are filling up with NDR's possibly from
Dictionary Attacks from Spammers buts its hard to tell unless you can verify
by looking at his queues.  Have the client print screen in ESM on the Queues
and send it to you to verify.  I will also suggest the client enable
Recipient Filtering, IMF 2.0 and SMTP Tarpit to clear the queues up now and
going forward.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Sender-Recipient-Filtering.html
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Intelligent-Message-Filter-version-2-IMF-v2.html
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=842851

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA

"Bradley Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net> wrote in message
> My client responded with this:
>

> "I forget what it is called ... it's like the sending queue ... the one
> all emails should go in first"
>

> <aaronw@firstmac.com.au> wrote in message
>> which queue are they sitting in?

0
jcoliverjr (1013)

Exchange Cluster

MDE in Access 2003
My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office XP. I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created with Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot open the MDE file. They receive an error that says something like "file is incorrect format." (And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing reference to web components that impedes the database from executing formulas and it gives an error message. In order to check-off the missing reference, I have to open the data...

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

2003: Desktop alerts on IMAP messages?
Sometimes I think I'm dating an airhead, because everytime I go out with Microsoft, she looks more beautiful than ever, but at heart she's still a bubble- gum chewing ditz. So it is with Outlook 2003 My work email uses an IMAP server, but Outlook won't let me get desktop alerts on my IMAP folder. It says that it can only do this for the default inbox (and I can't get my IMAP folder to become the default inbox). So, I've been ignoring the default inbox and using the IMAP folder without alerts. I can change the freaking transparency of the alerts, but I can't...

Unable to get TextBoxes property of Worksheet Class Error
I have posted elsewhere to try and get resolution on my issue and decided to ask for help here as well. I have an issue that is driving me crazy. I have a workbook that has multiple sheets and some of these sheets have Textboxes (from the drawing tool) on the sheet with standard naming (i.e. TextBox 1, TextBox 2, etc.) I have a button that executes code that takes and builds an external file with the data from the worksheets, including the TextBoxes. During that process I am checking to see if those worksheets with TextBoxes have anything entered before attempting to grab the...

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

Exchange 2003 #5

format numbers with no decimals Excel 2003
I need to display invoice number eg: 145 but i can't seem to get the format cells to work. It keeps rounding it off to a 1 or displays as 1.45. i just upgraded to Excel 2003 my older verison woudl let me do this. Hi just use a format such as 0 "3 digit nubmers with no decimals" wrote: > I need to display invoice number eg: 145 but i can't seem to get the format > cells to work. It keeps rounding it off to a 1 or displays as 1.45. i just > upgraded to Excel 2003 my older verison woudl let me do this. The "0" will not work. it dispalys as a 1 not 145....

Intermediate Excel 2003
Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel Skills. I have a reasonable understanding of the main functions and basic formula creation but I wish to develop things a little further? Many thanks in anticipation of any suggestions. Roger Lots of suggestions at: http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "roger lewis" <rogerlewis@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:a4k3j.1531$WJ3.154@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net... > Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel ...

Microsoft Exchange #3

Linking Visio 2003 Professional to Access 2003 Professional
I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now cannot find the site. So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and field. Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc. What I want to do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes. I also want it to display the various information about each item (serial number, asset number, name, type, etc.). Any help would be appreciated. you might che...

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

how to get the time
how do I get the time on a column when a signature or a name is on another column. For example on column B I need the time, when column A is filled. please help Hi, Since you are in the Chart forum, are you talking about charts or spreadsheet cells? If spreadsheet cells, you will need to use vba unless you can get the user to type in the time. The shortcut key for entering the current time in a cell is Ctrl+: (ctrl color - shifted semi-colon) VBA: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim isect As Range Set isect = Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A100")) ...

Problems between two Exchange Servers

OUT LOOK 2003
How do I transfer all my info from my Out Look 2003 in my computer to a other computer Out Look 2003 that I use.? H2O On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:54:04 -0800, H20 <H20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I transfer all my info from my Out Look 2003 in my computer to a other >computer Out Look 2003 that I use.? > >H2O You may want to post your question in a forum supporting Outlook. This newsgroup is for a different program, Microsoft Access. The Microsoft webpage is sometimes confusing and may have misled you - scroll down the list of subjects and find one for Outloo...

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

antigen on exchange #2

Excel 2003 colour
I have the following problem with Excel I have seen that a simila question was asked some 18 months ago but am unable to find th solution I am using Office 2003 Pro and my Excel 2003 will not "fill" cells wit any colour nor allow fonts to be shown in color. But the print preview shows the colour and infils correctly. When clicking on the cell to edit it the colour is shown. When opening an imported worksheet the colour is shown until I make an change to the book and all the colour disappears. No colour is displayed on imported worksheets created in earlie versions either. Th...