Exchange 2003: Free/busy problem

Hi,

All of a sudden as of a couple of days ago, when anyone in my exchange org
tries to invite people to a meeting, a message displays when they try to
check the other person's availability that says  "No free/busy information
could be retrieved"

What I noticed that may have changed is that the public folder that
apparently used to house this information is gone. So I followed
instructions on microsoft's website to reset the system folders. Once that
was done, I restarted the info store on all the servers in the admin
group... but I still get the "no free/busy" message.

There was another article I found that suggested to repopulate free/busy. It
says that I will need to send a meeting request to all users at my site, and
they all must accept or free/busy won't repopulate. Now I have about 2000
users and I'll bet not all of them would be able to respond, so is there any
other way? Can someone *please* help me out? I don't know what else to do!

0
jdoe8655 (54)

Correct, you will need to send a meeting to everyone and have then accept
it. You need to repopulate the PF. No worries if they don't respond,
eventually everyone will have a new meeting and thus accomplish the same
task.

Cheers,

Rod

MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
http://www.nw-america.com - Clustering Website
http://www.msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training

"Jon Doe" <jdoe@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> All of a sudden as of a couple of days ago, when anyone in my exchange org
> tries to invite people to a meeting, a message displays when they try to
> check the other person's availability that says  "No free/busy information
> could be retrieved"
>
> What I noticed that may have changed is that the public folder that
> apparently used to house this information is gone. So I followed
> instructions on microsoft's website to reset the system folders. Once that
> was done, I restarted the info store on all the servers in the admin
> group... but I still get the "no free/busy" message.
>
> There was another article I found that suggested to repopulate free/busy.
> It says that I will need to send a meeting request to all users at my
> site, and they all must accept or free/busy won't repopulate. Now I have
> about 2000 users and I'll bet not all of them would be able to respond, so
> is there any other way? Can someone *please* help me out? I don't know
> what else to do!

0
rod5651 (26)
12/16/2005 12:24:02 PM
Ok, this morning I checked free/busy for a few users and noticed that I can
now see free/busy for at least one user. I know for sure this user's
free/busy wasn't showing up yesterday before resetting the system folders.
I've sent the user an e-mail asking if he accepted a meeting this morning...
but havent heard back yet.

So if it turns out that we can see his free/busy now because he accepted a
meeting, could that mean that if I send a meeting request out to all users,
we would be able to see free/busy for all those who respond? The article I
read gave me the impression that everyone must respond, or it won't work at
all for anyone.

"Rodney R. Fournier [MVP]" <rod@die.spam.die.nw-america.com> wrote in
message news:upQrsvjAGHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Correct, you will need to send a meeting to everyone and have then accept
> it. You need to repopulate the PF. No worries if they don't respond,
> eventually everyone will have a new meeting and thus accomplish the same
> task.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rod
>
> MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
> http://www.nw-america.com - Clustering Website
> http://www.msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
> http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training
>

> "Jon Doe" <jdoe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> All of a sudden as of a couple of days ago, when anyone in my exchange
>> org tries to invite people to a meeting, a message displays when they try
>> to check the other person's availability that says  "No free/busy
>> information could be retrieved"
>>
>> What I noticed that may have changed is that the public folder that
>> apparently used to house this information is gone. So I followed
>> instructions on microsoft's website to reset the system folders. Once
>> that was done, I restarted the info store on all the servers in the admin
>> group... but I still get the "no free/busy" message.
>>
>> There was another article I found that suggested to repopulate free/busy.
>> It says that I will need to send a meeting request to all users at my
>> site, and they all must accept or free/busy won't repopulate. Now I have
>> about 2000 users and I'll bet not all of them would be able to respond,
>> so is there any other way? Can someone *please* help me out? I don't know
>> what else to do!

0
jdoe8655 (54)
12/16/2005 2:00:42 PM
It just needs some data to make it work. Where you accept or not, you get
data in calendar.

> Ok, this morning I checked free/busy for a few users and noticed that I
> can now see free/busy for at least one user. I know for sure this user's
> free/busy wasn't showing up yesterday before resetting the system folders.
> I've sent the user an e-mail asking if he accepted a meeting this
> morning... but havent heard back yet.
>
> So if it turns out that we can see his free/busy now because he accepted a
> meeting, could that mean that if I send a meeting request out to all
> users, we would be able to see free/busy for all those who respond? The
> article I read gave me the impression that everyone must respond, or it
> won't work at all for anyone.
>
> "Rodney R. Fournier [MVP]" <rod@die.spam.die.nw-america.com> wrote in
> message news:upQrsvjAGHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Correct, you will need to send a meeting to everyone and have then accept
>> it. You need to repopulate the PF. No worries if they don't respond,
>> eventually everyone will have a new meeting and thus accomplish the same
>> task.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rod
>>
>> MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
>> http://www.nw-america.com - Clustering Website
>> http://www.msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
>> http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training
>>

>> "Jon Doe" <jdoe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> All of a sudden as of a couple of days ago, when anyone in my exchange
>>> org tries to invite people to a meeting, a message displays when they
>>> try to check the other person's availability that says  "No free/busy
>>> information could be retrieved"
>>>
>>> What I noticed that may have changed is that the public folder that
>>> apparently used to house this information is gone. So I followed
>>> instructions on microsoft's website to reset the system folders. Once
>>> that was done, I restarted the info store on all the servers in the
>>> admin group... but I still get the "no free/busy" message.
>>>
>>> There was another article I found that suggested to repopulate
>>> free/busy. It says that I will need to send a meeting request to all
>>> users at my site, and they all must accept or free/busy won't
>>> repopulate. Now I have about 2000 users and I'll bet not all of them
>>> would be able to respond, so is there any other way? Can someone
>>> *please* help me out? I don't know what else to do!

0
rod5651 (26)
12/16/2005 2:27:57 PM
Start the outlook program with the option /cleanfreebusy and your problem is
solved

Johan

"Jon Doe" <jdoe@comcast.net> schreef in bericht

> Hi,
>
> All of a sudden as of a couple of days ago, when anyone in my exchange org
> tries to invite people to a meeting, a message displays when they try to
> check the other person's availability that says  "No free/busy information
> could be retrieved"
>
> What I noticed that may have changed is that the public folder that
> apparently used to house this information is gone. So I followed
> instructions on microsoft's website to reset the system folders. Once that
> was done, I restarted the info store on all the servers in the admin
> group... but I still get the "no free/busy" message.
>
> There was another article I found that suggested to repopulate free/busy.
> It says that I will need to send a meeting request to all users at my
> site, and they all must accept or free/busy won't repopulate. Now I have
> about 2000 users and I'll bet not all of them would be able to respond, so
> is there any other way? Can someone *please* help me out? I don't know
> what else to do!

0
johan_NO (3)
12/17/2005 5:22:48 PM
/cleanfreebusy is a good call.

"Johan Roselaar" wrote:

> Start the outlook program with the option /cleanfreebusy and your problem is
> solved
>
> Johan
>

> "Jon Doe" <jdoe@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > All of a sudden as of a couple of days ago, when anyone in my exchange org
> > tries to invite people to a meeting, a message displays when they try to
> > check the other person's availability that says  "No free/busy information
> > could be retrieved"
> >
> > What I noticed that may have changed is that the public folder that
> > apparently used to house this information is gone. So I followed
> > instructions on microsoft's website to reset the system folders. Once that
> > was done, I restarted the info store on all the servers in the admin
> > group... but I still get the "no free/busy" message.
> >
> > There was another article I found that suggested to repopulate free/busy.
> > It says that I will need to send a meeting request to all users at my
> > site, and they all must accept or free/busy won't repopulate. Now I have
> > about 2000 users and I'll bet not all of them would be able to respond, so
> > is there any other way? Can someone *please* help me out? I don't know
> > what else to do!

Not very practical for 2000+ users to do without some major hand holding.

http://msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training

"Jonathan Norris" <JonathanNorris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3BD212D0-9125-4406-9648-055C8BA6B907@microsoft.com...
> /cleanfreebusy is a good call.
>
> "Johan Roselaar" wrote:
>
>> Start the outlook program with the option /cleanfreebusy and your problem
>> is
>> solved
>>
>> Johan
>>

>> "Jon Doe" <jdoe@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > All of a sudden as of a couple of days ago, when anyone in my exchange
>> > org
>> > tries to invite people to a meeting, a message displays when they try
>> > check the other person's availability that says  "No free/busy
>> > information
>> > could be retrieved"
>> >
>> > What I noticed that may have changed is that the public folder that
>> > apparently used to house this information is gone. So I followed
>> > instructions on microsoft's website to reset the system folders. Once
>> > that
>> > was done, I restarted the info store on all the servers in the admin
>> > group... but I still get the "no free/busy" message.
>> >
>> > There was another article I found that suggested to repopulate
>> > free/busy.
>> > It says that I will need to send a meeting request to all users at my
>> > site, and they all must accept or free/busy won't repopulate. Now I
>> > have
>> > about 2000 users and I'll bet not all of them would be able to respond,
>> > so
>> > is there any other way? Can someone *please* help me out? I don't know
>> > what else to do!

0
rod5651 (26)
12/19/2005 5:37:30 PM
I always scripted it.

"Rodney R. Fournier [MVP]" wrote:

> Not very practical for 2000+ users to do without some major hand holding.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rod
>
> MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
> http://www.nw-america.com - Clustering Website
> http://msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
> http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training
>
> "Jonathan Norris" <JonathanNorris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:3BD212D0-9125-4406-9648-055C8BA6B907@microsoft.com...
> > /cleanfreebusy is a good call.
> >
> > "Johan Roselaar" wrote:
> >
> >> Start the outlook program with the option /cleanfreebusy and your problem
> >> is
> >> solved
> >>
> >> Johan
> >>

> >> "Jon Doe" <jdoe@comcast.net> schreef in bericht

Thanks... that's all it needed. Reset system folders, updated the schema to
reflect new server (forgot the article I found that in), sent meeting
requests, and all the free/busy data is back (to those who accepted meeting
requests).

"Rodney R. Fournier [MVP]" <rod@die.spam.die.nw-america.com> wrote in
message news:uZ3P80kAGHA.204@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> It just needs some data to make it work. Where you accept or not, you get
> data in calendar.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rod
>
> MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
> http://www.nw-america.com - Clustering Website
> http://www.msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
> http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training
>

> "Jon Doe" <jdoe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Ok, this morning I checked free/busy for a few users and noticed that I
>> can now see free/busy for at least one user. I know for sure this user's
>> free/busy wasn't showing up yesterday before resetting the system
>> folders. I've sent the user an e-mail asking if he accepted a meeting
>> this morning... but havent heard back yet.
>>
>> So if it turns out that we can see his free/busy now because he accepted
>> a meeting, could that mean that if I send a meeting request out to all
>> users, we would be able to see free/busy for all those who respond? The
>> article I read gave me the impression that everyone must respond, or it
>> won't work at all for anyone.
>>
>> "Rodney R. Fournier [MVP]" <rod@die.spam.die.nw-america.com> wrote in
>> message news:upQrsvjAGHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Correct, you will need to send a meeting to everyone and have then
>>> accept it. You need to repopulate the PF. No worries if they don't
>>> respond, eventually everyone will have a new meeting and thus accomplish
>>> the same task.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Rod
>>>
>>> MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
>>> http://www.nw-america.com - Clustering Website
>>> http://www.msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
>>> http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training
>>>

>>> "Jon Doe" <jdoe@comcast.net> wrote in message

0
jdoe8655 (54)
12/21/2005 5:55:42 AM
Put the command outlook.exe /cleanfreebusy in a login script for all users.
You can also add a tag file and make the script conditional so that it
checks the user's Home Directory for the tag file, if present then the
script does run, if not present, the script runs then creates the tag
file--- thereby making it a "run once" kind of thing. We have about 3000
users and had a planned rebuild of the free/busy. We came up with this idea
to repopulate the free/busy and it worked like a charm. In about a week you
can run a report off of the Home Directories and see how many users have not
gotten republished (# of Home Dir with no tag file) then do those manually
or ask them to log in or however you want to handle it.

"Jonathan Norris" <JonathanNorris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:DA72BA3C-B445-431F-8A19-C67982943294@microsoft.com...
> I always scripted it.
>
> "Rodney R. Fournier [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Not very practical for 2000+ users to do without some major hand
holding.

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Rod
> >
> > MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
> > http://www.nw-america.com - Clustering Website
> > http://msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
> > http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training
> >
> > "Jonathan Norris" <JonathanNorris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:3BD212D0-9125-4406-9648-055C8BA6B907@microsoft.com...
> > > /cleanfreebusy is a good call.

Once

0
Mary

Frontpage 2003 or Publisher 2003 ?
Which one should I use? I am not familiar with Publisher. I am familiar with FrontPage. What kind of support is needed on the server side for a web ? cgi? etc. Any info or a link to some info appreciated. Hi Cracker Jacks (cjacks<nospamz)@verizon.net), in the newsgroups you posted: || Which one should I use? I am not familiar with Publisher. I am || familiar with FrontPage. What kind of support is needed on the || server side for a web ? cgi? etc. Any info or a link to some info || appreciated. I recommend FrontPage 2003. FrontPage 2003 doesn't REQUIRE FrontPage Server extensions,...

problem with signature
I am trying to create a simple signature for my HTML mails, with a link to my website.I want it to be a hover link, no underline. I have made a very simple HTML in Dreamweaver, and all the appropriate attributes and styles are set via CSS. It looks and works fine on my browser. But when I select it as my signature file in OL2003, hover link property disappears and it reverts to the dreaded underline link. Any ideas how achieve this? TIA ...

Outlook2k7 over VPN Out of Office Assistant problem
User's computer is not a member of the domain. Mail flows and all looks good till you start the OOF thing. It will just tell you it cannot connect to the server because it's currently unavailable. Now when we add autodiscover.domain.com pointing to the Exchange server to the host file of that computer it works but why? Without it when you run a test it will tell you that a Srv Record lookup for domain.com FAILED (0x8004010F) or Local autodiscover for domain.com FAILED (0x8004010F) yaro Hello yaro, Thanks for your post. The error 0x8004010F usually means MAPI_E_NOT_FOU...

Emailing in excel 2003 02-26-10

Outlook Mobile Access Problem

Excel Crash

Outlook 2003

Exchange 2007 Evaluation version #2

OWA problems #6
Users from outside the firewall can logon succesfully into OWA interface, their mailbox opens, but in the reading pane the only message is "loading..." Also no other functions of OWA interface seems to work (new, contacts...) as well as log off button. However if I try to access OWA from inside the company everything is fine. Windows 2000 Server SP4 Exchange 2003 SP1 On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:33:14 -0700, "Ducukm0" <Ducukm0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Users from outside the firewall can logon succesfully into OWA interface, >their mailbox opens, but in t...

Upgrading from Exchange 2000 Standard to Enterprise Cal ? #2
Hello Everyone, I know the upgrade process from exchange 2000 standard to enterprise seems pretty straight forward. However, I have a cal question. Are my standard cals still good with this upgrade. Say I have right now standard 2000 with 30 cals. If I upgrade to Exchange 2000 Enterprise with 25 cals to pass the 16mb limitation. Would I then only have the 25 cals or 55 total cals? Thanks ...

How to realize communication problem?
Hello everybody. I am working on a project in which I read/write data via rs-232 from/to my Windows application to/from an microcontroller. Now, my boss wants me to write a library which he can use for different microcontrollers. This library should store any changes of data. So the desired microcontroller should just be able to pick up the data. You can think of it this way: Me, representing the Windows application, put a sheet of information into a drawer. A buddy of mine, (representing a microcontroller) can go to the drawer an pick up the sheet for further treatment. So, my quest...

Edit Microsoft Exchange System Object with ADSI
When I applied a new recipient policy to add a 2nd domain name to our users, I applied it to all rather than using a filter to only pick the users in the Users OU. Everything was still fine but we have one conflict. A public folder had the same name as a user and thus had the same email address. We are getting the event:Event ID: 9514 Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Description: Two objects in the Directory have the same proxy - /DC=COM/DC=[DomainName]/CN=[ContainerName1]/CN=[Object1] and /DC=COM/DC=[DomainName]/CN=[ContainerName2]/CN=[Object2] I deleted the public folder b...

Unable to create more Windows NT accounts for Exchange mailboxes
Hi Guys, Currently our Exchange server stopped allowing the creation of more Windows NT Accounts with the following error"Insufficient System Resources exist to complete the requested service".Pls is there a way out of this? We run Exchange 5.5 SP3 on Windows NT Server. -- Buchi ...

Outlook 2003 Contact data

Format for Flashcards for MS Word & PPS 2003
Can anyone help me in sending me a Flashcard template so as to learn Chinese Characters, Pinyin, English. Compatible with MS Word 2003 & Power Point 2003. Any Tips or Ticks or general Knowledge in this area to improve learning through Flash Cards is more than Welcome. ...

Trail Version of Exchange
Hello I have installed and i am test the trail verion of Exchange (180 days) How do i check how many days i have left, as i cannot remember when i installed this Thanks Andy One way to do this would be to fire up ADSIEdit and find out when the Exchange Server object was created in your Exchange Org in the Configuration naming context. Perhaps there are other ways as well, including app. event log... -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Andrew" <not@home.com> ...

Outlook 2003
Just upgraded from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003. Everything seems to be working OK !! BUT ! On the Outlook Today screen no images are shown. If I go into the customise option, there are no images shown for the various styles. Also any changes I make in Outlook today options are not saved.. Any Ideas ??? ...

Microsoft 70-536 Exam Dumps Free Exam King
FreeExamKing 70-536 Exam http://www.FreeExamKing.com provides the most competitive quality materials of all exams like MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCTS, CCNA, 70-680, 70-620, 70-290, 70-291, 70-270, 70-293, 70-294, 70-297, 70-298, 70-292, free exam dumps, 640-802, 642-642, 642-812. It gives guarantee your success at your first attempt with only understanding and mastering well our studying material, if somehow you fail the exam at the first time, we will arrange FULL REFUND for you. ...

MDI childframe problems
To create a maximized mdi child frame I tried this: BOOL CChildFrame::PreCreateWindow(CREATESTRUCT& cs) { if( !CMDIChildWnd::PreCreateWindow(cs) ) return FALSE; if (IsWindow(m_hWnd)) { ShowWindow(SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED); } return TRUE; } The window is opened maximized but the minimize/maximize/close buttons are missing. When I open a 2nd document and click on windows | tile the behaviour turns back to normal. Can someone tell what's wrong here? cs.style |= WS_MAXIMIZE didn't work either. It's opened in normal size. TIA, Hans Do this in ActivateFrame: void CChildFrame...

Exchange 5.5 <-> Exchange 2000 cannot rebuild ADC
I have two servers, one is Exchange 5.5, one is Exchange 2000. They are normally connected via the ADC. However, occasionally, these servers will lose sync, and the only previous recourse was a reboot, and a rebuilding of the ADC. Required a bit of extra "manpower", but it got the job done. So, we went through and tried it again to fix a problem, and now we cannot get the ADC back up. When I try to set the destination or source for the ADC to place/get information to/from the Exchange 5.5 system, I get the following error: "The Exchange server specified does not meet the...

Problems getting to server?
I have a customer who is saying that if he tries to get to a email server I am running, he can't get to it on the 1st attempt using Outlook Express. He has to browse to a web page that I am hosting, view that page. Then open OE, and his email will work fine. Has anyone heard of this, and have any solutions? Thanks, Steve Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=Internet...

Outlook 2003 Inbox Accounts Format Changed Unexpectedly
I use Outlook 2003 with XP Pro, SP3. Outlook was set up so that when I opened it, the Inbox showed my 4 accounts and if an account had new emails, the number of new emails was shown. Today I opened Outlook, and all the emails were shown by date order and not separated into accounts. Help! How do I return it to its previous format? kateinmo Maybe your view changed. Go to the View menu > Current view submenu and choose a different one. "kateinmo" <kateinmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B16E550-876F-4D2A-B9C4-9B8232A580CC@microsoft.com... > I u...

Why can't I see fonts in color as I compose in Office 2003?
My new computer arrived preloaded with Office 2003 - a fair jump from Office 97 - but I am unable to view fonts in color as I compose. This is also the case in Outlook Express 6. Print Preview works in Publisher, Word, etc. but email is impossible! I can only be sure of what I'm sending if I send to myself first. Can anyone help? TIA Judy Outlook Express is not an Office product. Look at the internal settings in Outlook Express. (Options). You might try installing Office 2003 via the control panel, there well could be elements that your computer company did not install. Scroll...