Exchange 2003 Database Size vs Free Space

I am running Exchange 2003 Standard Edition SP2

We currently have approximately 100 mailboxes

priv1.edb is 14.4GB
priv1.stm is 8.8GB

I did, quite some time ago update the registry to increase the database size
limit to 75GB.

Event ID 1221 reports only 220mb of free space.
I suspected it was misreporting the free space because my backups were
running at the same time the maint (online defrag) was running.

I changed my backup to run outside of the maint. window but it's still
reporting the same amount of free space.

Am I reading this wrong? It looks like I'm out of space, however I never
recieved a warning and the IS never dismounted so I still suspect there is
more free space than what's being reported.

Thanks

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 05:38:01 -0700, Jeff
<Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am running Exchange 2003 Standard Edition SP2
>
>We currently have approximately 100 mailboxes
>
>priv1.edb is 14.4GB
>priv1.stm is 8.8GB
>
>I did, quite some time ago update the registry to increase the database size
>limit to 75GB.
>
>Event ID 1221 reports only 220mb of free space.
>I suspected it was misreporting the free space because my backups were
>running at the same time the maint (online defrag) was running.
>
>I changed my backup to run outside of the maint. window but it's still
>reporting the same amount of free space.
>
>Am I reading this wrong? It looks like I'm out of space, however I never
>recieved a warning and the IS never dismounted so I still suspect there is
>more free space than what's being reported.
>
>Thanks

You're misunderstanding the event.
All 1221 is telling you is that there is free (also known as 'white')
space inside the database. It is not telling you that you only have
200MB left before the sky falls in. Your users will add another 200MB
of mail into your store before the store file starts growing again.

You have zero to worry about. Everything is perfectly fine.
0
Mark
4/22/2010 12:45:04 PM
Thanks

So I should just start to sweat if I see priv1.edb get near the limit then,
right?

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 05:38:01 -0700, Jeff
> <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am running Exchange 2003 Standard Edition SP2
> >
> >We currently have approximately 100 mailboxes
> >
> >priv1.edb is 14.4GB
> >priv1.stm is 8.8GB
> >
> >I did, quite some time ago update the registry to increase the database size
> >limit to 75GB.
> >
> >Event ID 1221 reports only 220mb of free space.
> >I suspected it was misreporting the free space because my backups were
> >running at the same time the maint (online defrag) was running.
> >
> >I changed my backup to run outside of the maint. window but it's still
> >reporting the same amount of free space.
> >
> >Am I reading this wrong? It looks like I'm out of space, however I never
> >recieved a warning and the IS never dismounted so I still suspect there is
> >more free space than what's being reported.
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> You're misunderstanding the event.
> All 1221 is telling you is that there is free (also known as 'white')
> space inside the database. It is not telling you that you only have
> 200MB left before the sky falls in. Your users will add another 200MB
> of mail into your store before the store file starts growing again.
>
> You have zero to worry about. Everything is perfectly fine.
> .

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:02:06 -0700, Jeff
<Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks
>
>So I should just start to sweat if I see priv1.edb get near the limit then,
>right?

You should start sweating when your backup time takes longer than
you'd like to wait should you ever have to restore it.
0
Mark

Exchange Cluster

MDE in Access 2003
My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office XP. I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created with Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot open the MDE file. They receive an error that says something like "file is incorrect format." (And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing reference to web components that impedes the database from executing formulas and it gives an error message. In order to check-off the missing reference, I have to open the data...

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

2003: Desktop alerts on IMAP messages?
Sometimes I think I'm dating an airhead, because everytime I go out with Microsoft, she looks more beautiful than ever, but at heart she's still a bubble- gum chewing ditz. So it is with Outlook 2003 My work email uses an IMAP server, but Outlook won't let me get desktop alerts on my IMAP folder. It says that it can only do this for the default inbox (and I can't get my IMAP folder to become the default inbox). So, I've been ignoring the default inbox and using the IMAP folder without alerts. I can change the freaking transparency of the alerts, but I can't...

Free Trial: Home & Business
Simple question I believe I am running the free trial of Home and Business and have 10 days trial left only Can I purchase Plus or Deluxe when the trial expires and will it run fine please? Re: Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Microsoft Money Plus Premium Microsoft Money Plus Home & Business Also is the free trial, which I believe is 2008 software compatible with 2007 software? Best rgs Dan In microsoft.public.money, D Hughes wrote: >Simple question > >I believe I am running the free trial of Home and Business and have 10 days >trial left only > >Can I purchase Plus...

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

SQL 2005 express database monitoring
Can someone advise how to monitor SQL 2005 express database size? Thank you very much! Hi, You can use SQL Server Management Studio express to check the database size. "april" <april@123.com> wrote in message news:OpMOYt$gKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Can someone advise how to monitor SQL 2005 express database size? > > Thank you very much! hI Insert the result of below script into a monitoring table and compare over tome period SELECT @@SERVERNAME AS SqlServerName, db.name AS DatabaseName, SUM(CASE WHEN syf.g...

Exchange 2003 #5

format numbers with no decimals Excel 2003
I need to display invoice number eg: 145 but i can't seem to get the format cells to work. It keeps rounding it off to a 1 or displays as 1.45. i just upgraded to Excel 2003 my older verison woudl let me do this. Hi just use a format such as 0 "3 digit nubmers with no decimals" wrote: > I need to display invoice number eg: 145 but i can't seem to get the format > cells to work. It keeps rounding it off to a 1 or displays as 1.45. i just > upgraded to Excel 2003 my older verison woudl let me do this. The "0" will not work. it dispalys as a 1 not 145....

Intermediate Excel 2003
Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel Skills. I have a reasonable understanding of the main functions and basic formula creation but I wish to develop things a little further? Many thanks in anticipation of any suggestions. Roger Lots of suggestions at: http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "roger lewis" <rogerlewis@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:a4k3j.1531$WJ3.154@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net... > Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel ...

Microsoft Exchange #3

Linking Visio 2003 Professional to Access 2003 Professional
I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now cannot find the site. So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and field. Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc. What I want to do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes. I also want it to display the various information about each item (serial number, asset number, name, type, etc.). Any help would be appreciated. you might che...

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

OUT LOOK 2003
How do I transfer all my info from my Out Look 2003 in my computer to a other computer Out Look 2003 that I use.? H2O On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:54:04 -0800, H20 <H20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I transfer all my info from my Out Look 2003 in my computer to a other >computer Out Look 2003 that I use.? > >H2O You may want to post your question in a forum supporting Outlook. This newsgroup is for a different program, Microsoft Access. The Microsoft webpage is sometimes confusing and may have misled you - scroll down the list of subjects and find one for Outloo...

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

antigen on exchange #2

Excel 2003 colour
I have the following problem with Excel I have seen that a simila question was asked some 18 months ago but am unable to find th solution I am using Office 2003 Pro and my Excel 2003 will not "fill" cells wit any colour nor allow fonts to be shown in color. But the print preview shows the colour and infils correctly. When clicking on the cell to edit it the colour is shown. When opening an imported worksheet the colour is shown until I make an change to the book and all the colour disappears. No colour is displayed on imported worksheets created in earlie versions either. Th...