Exchange 2003 + Domain Controller

I've setup 2 servers at home.  Both have Windows 2003 server.
One is a domain controller running exchange 2003 and the other a member
server.
Is it Ok to install exchange 2003 on a domain controller for test puposes ?

The first time I tried to login to the domain from the member server it took
20 minutes for the desktop to appear. Is this normal ?

I also tried to look at another mailbox from the adminstrator mailbox.  The
mailbox appears but I can not view any emails ?

many thanks, Pritesh

Yes, it's fine.  It's even supported to do this in a production environment,
but it's not recommended as it complicates things.

20 minutes to log in and see the desktop doesn't sound normal.  Have you
checked event logs?

Administrators are by default denied access to all other mailboxes.  How are
you trying to access it?

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Pritesh Lad XP SP2 + Telnet"
<PriteshLadXPSP2Telnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've setup 2 servers at home.  Both have Windows 2003 server.
> One is a domain controller running exchange 2003 and the other a member
> server.
> Is it Ok to install exchange 2003 on a domain controller for test puposes
> ?
>
> The first time I tried to login to the domain from the member server it
> took
> 20 minutes for the desktop to appear. Is this normal ?
>
> I also tried to look at another mailbox from the adminstrator mailbox.
> The
> mailbox appears but I can not view any emails ?
>
> many thanks, Pritesh

0
Ben
9/8/2005 1:28:57 PM
Pritesh Lad XP SP2 + Telnet wrote:

> I've setup 2 servers at home.  Both have Windows 2003 server.
> One is a domain controller running exchange 2003 and the other a member
> server.
> Is it Ok to install exchange 2003 on a domain controller for test puposes ?

Yes, it is OK.

> The first time I tried to login to the domain from the member server it took
> 20 minutes for the desktop to appear. Is this normal ?

No, it's not. Very likely you have specified wrong DNS server (ISP's for
example) in network settings. You should specify your internal DCs in there.

> I also tried to look at another mailbox from the adminstrator mailbox.  The
> mailbox appears but I can not view any emails ?

That is correct. Administrator's account is specifically prevented from opening
other mailboxes. There are ways around that though.

> many thanks, Pritesh

0
kpalagin (1838)
9/8/2005 1:44:49 PM
Hi Ben,

I will check the event logs tonight.
I'm trying to access the mailboxes from the options menu\ change\ exchange
server\ add.  Is there something I need to enable for Administrators to view
other peoples mailboxes ?

thanks, Pritesh

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Yes, it's fine.  It's even supported to do this in a production environment,
> but it's not recommended as it complicates things.
>
> 20 minutes to log in and see the desktop doesn't sound normal.  Have you
> checked event logs?
>
> Administrators are by default denied access to all other mailboxes.  How are
> you trying to access it?
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "Pritesh Lad XP SP2 + Telnet"
> <PriteshLadXPSP2Telnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've setup 2 servers at home.  Both have Windows 2003 server.
> > One is a domain controller running exchange 2003 and the other a member
> > server.
> > Is it Ok to install exchange 2003 on a domain controller for test puposes
> > ?
> >
> > The first time I tried to login to the domain from the member server it
> > took
> > 20 minutes for the desktop to appear. Is this normal ?
> >
> > I also tried to look at another mailbox from the adminstrator mailbox.
> > The
> > mailbox appears but I can not view any emails ?
> >
> > many thanks, Pritesh

In a nutshell?  The permissions you need to look at are Send As/Receive As
for the mailbox store that contains the mailboxes.  See the following KB
article that explains how to do this for Exmerge.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=273642

--

> Hi Ben,
>
> I will check the event logs tonight.
> I'm trying to access the mailboxes from the options menu\ change\ exchange
> server\ add.  Is there something I need to enable for Administrators to
> view
> other peoples mailboxes ?
>
> thanks, Pritesh
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's fine.  It's even supported to do this in a production
>> environment,
>> but it's not recommended as it complicates things.
>>
>> 20 minutes to log in and see the desktop doesn't sound normal.  Have you
>> checked event logs?
>>
>> Administrators are by default denied access to all other mailboxes.  How
>> are
>> you trying to access it?
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "Pritesh Lad XP SP2 + Telnet"
>> <PriteshLadXPSP2Telnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've setup 2 servers at home.  Both have Windows 2003 server.
>> > One is a domain controller running exchange 2003 and the other a member
>> > server.
>> > Is it Ok to install exchange 2003 on a domain controller for test
>> > puposes
>> > ?
>> >
>> > The first time I tried to login to the domain from the member server it
>> > took
>> > 20 minutes for the desktop to appear. Is this normal ?
>> >
>> > I also tried to look at another mailbox from the adminstrator mailbox.
>> > The
>> > mailbox appears but I can not view any emails ?
>> >
>> > many thanks, Pritesh

0
Ben
9/8/2005 2:00:26 PM
Hi Kirill,

Did Exchange 2000 also need a work around.  What is the work around in
exchange 2003 ?  Currently at work we use exchange 2000, and users with
domain admin can see any body elses mailbox.

thanks, Pritesh

"Kirill Palagin" wrote:

> Pritesh Lad XP SP2 + Telnet wrote:
>
> > I've setup 2 servers at home.  Both have Windows 2003 server.
> > One is a domain controller running exchange 2003 and the other a member
> > server.
> > Is it Ok to install exchange 2003 on a domain controller for test puposes ?
>
> Yes, it is OK.
>

> > The first time I tried to login to the domain from the member server it took
> > 20 minutes for the desktop to appear. Is this normal ?
>
> No, it's not. Very likely you have specified wrong DNS server (ISP's for
> example) in network settings. You should specify your internal DCs in there.
>

> > I also tried to look at another mailbox from the adminstrator mailbox.  The
> > mailbox appears but I can not view any emails ?
>
> That is correct. Administrator's account is specifically prevented from opening
> other mailboxes. There are ways around that though.
>

> > many thanks, Pritesh

DNS? Exchange is heavily DNS dependent.
Is it a catalog server? it should be.

--
Stokes
"Pritesh Lad XP SP2 + Telnet"
<PriteshLadXPSP2Telnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've setup 2 servers at home.  Both have Windows 2003 server.
> One is a domain controller running exchange 2003 and the other a member
> server.
> Is it Ok to install exchange 2003 on a domain controller for test puposes
> ?
>
> The first time I tried to login to the domain from the member server it
> took
> 20 minutes for the desktop to appear. Is this normal ?
>
> I also tried to look at another mailbox from the adminstrator mailbox.
> The
> mailbox appears but I can not view any emails ?
>
> many thanks, Pritesh

0
la02
9/8/2005 6:51:16 PM
Hi,

I fixed the DNS issue (yes it is a catalog server)
I still need the work around so that administrators can other mail accounts.
I have also made Administrator a member of Exchange Administrators

"la02" wrote:

> DNS? Exchange is heavily DNS dependent.
> Is it a catalog server? it should be.
>
> --
> Stokes
> "Pritesh Lad XP SP2 + Telnet"
> <PriteshLadXPSP2Telnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've setup 2 servers at home.  Both have Windows 2003 server.
> > One is a domain controller running exchange 2003 and the other a member
> > server.
> > Is it Ok to install exchange 2003 on a domain controller for test puposes
> > ?
> >
> > The first time I tried to login to the domain from the member server it
> > took
> > 20 minutes for the desktop to appear. Is this normal ?
> >
> > I also tried to look at another mailbox from the adminstrator mailbox.
> > The
> > mailbox appears but I can not view any emails ?
> >
> > many thanks, Pritesh

I sent you a link to the kB article that describes the permissions needed -
did you read through it?  In your case, you can either remove the inherited
deny (most likely on the Organization), or you can configure explicit allow
permissions for Send As/Receive As on the Mailbox Stores for the
group(s)/users in question.

--

> Hi,
>
> I fixed the DNS issue (yes it is a catalog server)
> I still need the work around so that administrators can other mail
> accounts.
> I have also made Administrator a member of Exchange Administrators
>

> "la02" wrote:
>
>> DNS? Exchange is heavily DNS dependent.
>> Is it a catalog server? it should be.
>>
>> --
>> Stokes
>> "Pritesh Lad XP SP2 + Telnet"
>> <PriteshLadXPSP2Telnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've setup 2 servers at home.  Both have Windows 2003 server.
>> > One is a domain controller running exchange 2003 and the other a member
>> > server.
>> > Is it Ok to install exchange 2003 on a domain controller for test
>> > puposes
>> > ?
>> >
>> > The first time I tried to login to the domain from the member server it
>> > took
>> > 20 minutes for the desktop to appear. Is this normal ?
>> >
>> > I also tried to look at another mailbox from the adminstrator mailbox.
>> > The
>> > mailbox appears but I can not view any emails ?
>> >
>> > many thanks, Pritesh

0
Ben
9/8/2005 8:15:33 PM
Hi Ben,

I referred to article 262054.  I enabled any account in domain admin/admin
can have full permissions.  Many thanks for your help.

Pritesh

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> I sent you a link to the kB article that describes the permissions needed -
> did you read through it?  In your case, you can either remove the inherited
> deny (most likely on the Organization), or you can configure explicit allow
> permissions for Send As/Receive As on the Mailbox Stores for the
> group(s)/users in question.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "Pritesh Lad XP SP2 + Telnet"
> <PriteshLadXPSP2Telnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I fixed the DNS issue (yes it is a catalog server)
> > I still need the work around so that administrators can other mail
> > accounts.
> > I have also made Administrator a member of Exchange Administrators
> >

> > "la02" wrote:
> >
> >> DNS? Exchange is heavily DNS dependent.
> >> Is it a catalog server? it should be.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Stokes
> >> "Pritesh Lad XP SP2 + Telnet"
> >> <PriteshLadXPSP2Telnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Exchange Cluster

MDE in Access 2003
My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office XP. I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created with Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot open the MDE file. They receive an error that says something like "file is incorrect format." (And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing reference to web components that impedes the database from executing formulas and it gives an error message. In order to check-off the missing reference, I have to open the data...

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

2003: Desktop alerts on IMAP messages?
Sometimes I think I'm dating an airhead, because everytime I go out with Microsoft, she looks more beautiful than ever, but at heart she's still a bubble- gum chewing ditz. So it is with Outlook 2003 My work email uses an IMAP server, but Outlook won't let me get desktop alerts on my IMAP folder. It says that it can only do this for the default inbox (and I can't get my IMAP folder to become the default inbox). So, I've been ignoring the default inbox and using the IMAP folder without alerts. I can change the freaking transparency of the alerts, but I can't...

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

Exchange 2003 #5

format numbers with no decimals Excel 2003
I need to display invoice number eg: 145 but i can't seem to get the format cells to work. It keeps rounding it off to a 1 or displays as 1.45. i just upgraded to Excel 2003 my older verison woudl let me do this. Hi just use a format such as 0 "3 digit nubmers with no decimals" wrote: > I need to display invoice number eg: 145 but i can't seem to get the format > cells to work. It keeps rounding it off to a 1 or displays as 1.45. i just > upgraded to Excel 2003 my older verison woudl let me do this. The "0" will not work. it dispalys as a 1 not 145....

Intermediate Excel 2003
Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel Skills. I have a reasonable understanding of the main functions and basic formula creation but I wish to develop things a little further? Many thanks in anticipation of any suggestions. Roger Lots of suggestions at: http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "roger lewis" <rogerlewis@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:a4k3j.1531$WJ3.154@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net... > Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel ...

Microsoft Exchange #3

Linking Visio 2003 Professional to Access 2003 Professional
I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now cannot find the site. So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and field. Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc. What I want to do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes. I also want it to display the various information about each item (serial number, asset number, name, type, etc.). Any help would be appreciated. you might che...

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

OUT LOOK 2003
How do I transfer all my info from my Out Look 2003 in my computer to a other computer Out Look 2003 that I use.? H2O On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:54:04 -0800, H20 <H20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I transfer all my info from my Out Look 2003 in my computer to a other >computer Out Look 2003 that I use.? > >H2O You may want to post your question in a forum supporting Outlook. This newsgroup is for a different program, Microsoft Access. The Microsoft webpage is sometimes confusing and may have misled you - scroll down the list of subjects and find one for Outloo...

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

antigen on exchange #2

Excel 2003 colour
I have the following problem with Excel I have seen that a simila question was asked some 18 months ago but am unable to find th solution I am using Office 2003 Pro and my Excel 2003 will not "fill" cells wit any colour nor allow fonts to be shown in color. But the print preview shows the colour and infils correctly. When clicking on the cell to edit it the colour is shown. When opening an imported worksheet the colour is shown until I make an change to the book and all the colour disappears. No colour is displayed on imported worksheets created in earlie versions either. Th...

how to stop sync messages in Outlook 2003
I'm support for a few hundred users who have size restrictions on their mailboxes. I'm getting some reports that when they're trying to clean-up they are finding that there are megs-worth of messages in the Sync Issues folders. Is there way to turn off these messages altogether? ...