Exchange 2000 upgrade

I currently run an Exchange 2000 standard on a Windows 2000 standard server
in a Windows 2000 mixed mode domain.  The current Exchange server is also a
DC and a GC server.  I am preparing to upgrade to Exchange 2003 Ent with
Windows 2003 standard server on a new box.  This new box will have 4 GB RAM
and 6 - 72 GB drives.  We have about 75 mailboxes.  I'm looking for advices
on the following information:

_  Step-by-Step upgrade instructions
_  My Exchange server is in Mixed mode, is it necessary to change it to
Native mode before I upgrade
_  Does it matter if I move the mailboxes before replicating the PFs or the
other way around
_  Is it necessary to stop incoming traffic when I move mailboxes or
replicate the PFs
_  At what stage am I to expect down time
_  Issues and problems to look out for
_  Server configuration recommendations (i.e.  hard disk conf, database and
log files locations)
_  Server setup best practices (i.e. the /3GB switch and any other switches
or registry hacks)
_  Advices or warnings

I know I've asked some of these questions before but I want to gather more
info and just make sure I'm ready.  Any information is greatly appreciated.
I'm just paranoid about this upgrade.

Thanks

Kit

0
skc1 (23)

Hi Kit,

I've answered your questions inline with my two cents on them:

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"Kit Cheng" <skc@irmphila.com> wrote in message
> I currently run an Exchange 2000 standard on a Windows 2000 standard
server
> in a Windows 2000 mixed mode domain.  The current Exchange server is also
> DC and a GC server.  I am preparing to upgrade to Exchange 2003 Ent with
> Windows 2003 standard server on a new box.  This new box will have 4 GB
RAM
> and 6 - 72 GB drives.  We have about 75 mailboxes.  I'm looking for
advices
> on the following information:
>
> _  Step-by-Step upgrade instructions
> _  My Exchange server is in Mixed mode, is it necessary to change it to
> Native mode before I upgrade

You should upgrade to native mode to take advantage of hte benefits if
you're not going to have any more Exchange 5.5 or older servers in the
organization

> _  Does it matter if I move the mailboxes before replicating the PFs or
the
> other way around

No.

> _  Is it necessary to stop incoming traffic when I move mailboxes or
> replicate the PFs

No

> _  At what stage am I to expect down time

The user's mailbox will be unavailable during the time it is being moved by
the wizard, assuimg that's the process you're planning to follow.

> _  Issues and problems to look out for
> _  Server configuration recommendations (i.e.  hard disk conf, database
and
> log files locations)

Generally I would go for a RAID1 for your logs, a RAID5 for your database,
and a RAID1 for your swap & binaries. This requires a minimum of 7 disks.

> _  Server setup best practices (i.e. the /3GB switch and any other
switches
> or registry hacks)

3 gig switch, run the Exchange Best Practices analyzer after you load the
server.

> _  Advices or warnings
>
> I know I've asked some of these questions before but I want to gather more
> info and just make sure I'm ready.  Any information is greatly
appreciated.
> I'm just paranoid about this upgrade.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kit

0
desmondb (156)
12/8/2004 11:23:13 PM
Hi Brian, thanks for you respond.  After reading your responds, I have the
following questions:

1.  If I change to Native mode on the Exchange server, will I need to
restart the server or any services?  I cannot afford any downtimes during
work hours.
2.  What happen to emails that come in for a mailbox while it's being moved?
3.  When I replicate the PFs, am moving or coping the PFs to the new server?
4.  After I replicate the PFs, which server would new message going to the
PFs go?

For those who are just reading this message, please give your advices as
well to any of my questions.

Thanks

Kit

"Brian Desmond [MVP]" <desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us> wrote in message
> Hi Kit,
>
> I've answered your questions inline with my two cents on them:

> Brian Desmond
> Windows Server MVP
> desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
>
> Http://www.briandesmond.com
>

> "Kit Cheng" <skc@irmphila.com> wrote in message
>> I currently run an Exchange 2000 standard on a Windows 2000 standard
> server
>> in a Windows 2000 mixed mode domain.  The current Exchange server is also
>> DC and a GC server.  I am preparing to upgrade to Exchange 2003 Ent with
>> Windows 2003 standard server on a new box.  This new box will have 4 GB
> RAM
>> and 6 - 72 GB drives.  We have about 75 mailboxes.  I'm looking for
> advices
>> on the following information:
>>
>> _  Step-by-Step upgrade instructions
>> _  My Exchange server is in Mixed mode, is it necessary to change it to
>> Native mode before I upgrade
>
> You should upgrade to native mode to take advantage of hte benefits if
> you're not going to have any more Exchange 5.5 or older servers in the
> organization
>
>> _  Does it matter if I move the mailboxes before replicating the PFs or
> the
>> other way around
>
> No.
>
>> _  Is it necessary to stop incoming traffic when I move mailboxes or
>> replicate the PFs
>
> No
>
>> _  At what stage am I to expect down time
>
> The user's mailbox will be unavailable during the time it is being moved
> by
> the wizard, assuimg that's the process you're planning to follow.
>
>> _  Issues and problems to look out for
>> _  Server configuration recommendations (i.e.  hard disk conf, database
> and
>> log files locations)
>
> Generally I would go for a RAID1 for your logs, a RAID5 for your database,
> and a RAID1 for your swap & binaries. This requires a minimum of 7 disks.
>
>> _  Server setup best practices (i.e. the /3GB switch and any other
> switches
>> or registry hacks)
>
> 3 gig switch, run the Exchange Best Practices analyzer after you load the
> server.
>
>> _  Advices or warnings
>>
>> I know I've asked some of these questions before but I want to gather
>> more
>> info and just make sure I'm ready.  Any information is greatly
> appreciated.
>> I'm just paranoid about this upgrade.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kit

0
skc1 (23)
12/9/2004 8:32:44 PM
1. No
2. It queues
3. Copying
4. THe messages will be delivered to the publci folder store that is closest
to the user's mailbox and then replicated.

> [...]
> >> _  Server configuration recommendations (i.e.  hard disk conf, database
> > and
> >> log files locations)
> >
> > Generally I would go for a RAID1 for your logs, a RAID5 for your
database,
> > and a RAID1 for your swap & binaries. This requires a minimum of 7
disks.

> >> _  Server setup best practices (i.e. the /3GB switch and any other
> > switches
> >> or registry hacks)
> >
> > 3 gig switch, run the Exchange Best Practices analyzer after you load
the
> > server.
> >
> >> _  Advices or warnings
> >>
> >> I know I've asked some of these questions before but I want to gather
> >> more
> >> info and just make sure I'm ready.  Any information is greatly

0
desmondb (156)
12/9/2004 11:29:34 PM
So, say I move all the mailboxes and than replicate the PFs.  Does this mean
any emails going to any of the PFs will go to the PFs on the new server?  If
I forget to turn off the replication, the PFs on the old server will
received the emails as well?  So, I really should make a point to remember
to turn off replication on the PFs between the two servers once they have
replicated completely for the first time.  Is this statement accurate?

Also, will the system folders replicate automatically along with the
replication?

> 1. No
> 2. It queues
> 3. Copying
> 4. THe messages will be delivered to the publci folder store that is
> closest
> to the user's mailbox and then replicated.

> Brian Desmond
> Windows Server MVP
> desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
>
> Http://www.briandesmond.com
>

> "Kit Cheng" <skc@irmphila.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Brian, thanks for you respond.  After reading your responds, I have
>> the
>> following questions:
>>
>> 1.  If I change to Native mode on the Exchange server, will I need to
>> restart the server or any services?  I cannot afford any downtimes during
>> work hours.
>> 2.  What happen to emails that come in for a mailbox while it's being
> moved?
>> 3.  When I replicate the PFs, am moving or coping the PFs to the new
> server?
>> 4.  After I replicate the PFs, which server would new message going to
>> the
>> PFs go?
>>
>> For those who are just reading this message, please give your advices as
>> well to any of my questions.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kit
>>

>> "Brian Desmond [MVP]" <desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us> wrote in message
>> > Hi Kit,
>> >
>> > I've answered your questions inline with my two cents on them:
>> >
>> > --
>> > --
>> > Brian Desmond
>> > Windows Server MVP
>> > desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
>> >
>> > Http://www.briandesmond.com
>> >

>> > "Kit Cheng" <skc@irmphila.com> wrote in message
>> > server
> also
> with
>> > RAM
>> > advices

>> > You should upgrade to native mode to take advantage of hte benefits if
>> > you're not going to have any more Exchange 5.5 or older servers in the
>> > organization

>> > the
>> >
>> > No.

>> > No

>> > The user's mailbox will be unavailable during the time it is being
>> > moved
>> > by
>> > the wizard, assuimg that's the process you're planning to follow.

>> > and
>> >
>> > Generally I would go for a RAID1 for your logs, a RAID5 for your
> database,
>> > and a RAID1 for your swap & binaries. This requires a minimum of 7
> disks.

>> > switches
>> >
>> > 3 gig switch, run the Exchange Best Practices analyzer after you load
> the
>> > server.

>> > appreciated.

0
skc1 (23)
12/10/2004 3:34:00 PM
Kit-

The mail will goto both PFs. Replication is two way. You need to setup
system folder replication. Once you have all the PFs replicated, you can cut
the replicas and dismount the Exch55 PF store.

> So, say I move all the mailboxes and than replicate the PFs.  Does this
mean
> any emails going to any of the PFs will go to the PFs on the new server?
If
> I forget to turn off the replication, the PFs on the old server will
> received the emails as well?  So, I really should make a point to remember
> to turn off replication on the PFs between the two servers once they have
> replicated completely for the first time.  Is this statement accurate?
>
> Also, will the system folders replicate automatically along with the
> replication?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kit
> "Brian Desmond [MVP]" <desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us> wrote in message
> > 1. No
> > 2. It queues
> > 3. Copying
> > 4. THe messages will be delivered to the publci folder store that is
> > closest
> > to the user's mailbox and then replicated.
> >
> > --
> > --
> > Brian Desmond
> > Windows Server MVP
> > desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
> >
> > Http://www.briandesmond.com
> >

> > "Kit Cheng" <skc@irmphila.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi Brian, thanks for you respond.  After reading your responds, I have
> >> the
> >> following questions:
> >>
> >> 1.  If I change to Native mode on the Exchange server, will I need to
> >> restart the server or any services?  I cannot afford any downtimes
during
> >> work hours.
> >> 2.  What happen to emails that come in for a mailbox while it's being
> > moved?
> >> 3.  When I replicate the PFs, am moving or coping the PFs to the new
> > server?
> >> 4.  After I replicate the PFs, which server would new message going to
> >> the
> >> PFs go?
> >>
> >> For those who are just reading this message, please give your advices
as
> >> well to any of my questions.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Kit
> >>

> >> "Brian Desmond [MVP]" <desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us> wrote in message

> > also
> > with

> > database,
> > disks.

> > the

0
desmondb (156)

Exchange Cluster

Page Numbers in Publisher 2000
I am completing our Employee Handbook and do not want page umbers on my first 9 pages. Page 10 is the first one I want numbered beginning with page #1. Instead my page #10 is labeled page #1. Can anyone help and let me know if this is possible with this software? Thanks. -- Kay -- Kay Correction "Kay" wrote: > I am completing our Employee Handbook and do not want page numbers on my first 9 pages. Page 10 is the first one I want numbered beginning with page #1. > Instead my page #10 is labeled page #10. Can anyone help and let me know if > this is possibl...

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

Exchange 2003 #5

Money 2006 never ending upgrade.
I know Vista is not supported but it runs fine for me on Vista RC2 #5744. When it starts up it says it's D/Ling additional files and just keeps on going at 1%. My find and a few other options will not work while it thinks it's D/Ling and updating. Is there a way to stop this? When I go to the Alerts Center I get the same "Command not available while Money upgrades" -- Sam Check for firewalls on the system and also close money and reopen but before you to right click on the icon and go to Log In As and log in as the main admin this should fix it Steve "Sam Steinha...

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

Date Button in Header (Excel 2000)
Is there a way to change the format of the date button in the header? I get 12/11/04 and would like December 11, 2004. Thanks, Jim I bet you're writing about File|page setup|Header/footer tab and clicking that date button to insert the current date (you get this: &[Date] in the header section. If yes, you could type anything you want (a static date, though). Or you could use a macro that sets the header whenever you print/print preview. I recorded a macro when I changed the header. I got this code (after deleting lots of stuff I didn't care about): With ActiveSheet...

antigen on exchange #2

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...

administrator email account can't thought POP3 send email after upgrade SP 1 or 2
Dear all, As title, when i upgrade ex SP1 and ex SP2, after that can't using roots to send email thought POP3, always prompt required auth, pls advise! In news:u37j7LTgGHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, Stanley <stanley@microosft.com> typed: > Dear all, > > As title, when i upgrade ex SP1 and ex SP2, after that can't using > roots to send email thought POP3, always prompt required auth, pls > advise! Hi - you don't send mail via POP - you send mail via SMTP. What happens when you authenticate to your SMTP server? What are the relay settings in your virtual...

Exchange 2007 RSG and Isinteg
We are running exchange 2007 on a windows 2008 server, both are fully patched. We backup with Backup Exec 12.5, again fully patched. All of our backups finish without any problems. Our problem; when i restore a database backup to a RSG and then try to restore a mailbox i recieve errors telling me that the maxium number of corrupted messages has been reached. i tried moving the limit up, but i have to move the limit up to 5000 before it works and then i only get a few emails not the complete contents of the mailbox. After a bit of research i found a few similar cases. These were resolv...

Restore Exchange...help!!!!
My 'broken' Exchange2003\win2003 server (not DC) had it's partitions labelled...'system' for C:\, 'Exchange' for D: and 'logs' for E:. How important is it I label the new Exchange server drives the same before the restore (I am not sure of the EXACT names!!!) Also my log files were all on drive D:\ (the only things on that drive) do I need to restore them too...they may not be exactly in sync with the other data being restored? Finally, what part of my 'Exchsvr' folder do I need to restore from backup? I think that may be a few days older tha...

emails retained in exchange 2003 queue
Hi to all, i have a ZyWall firewall (hardware) with a Turbo Card option installed. When i activate the anti-virus option in the firewall, i can receive emails, but all that i sent, do not go out, all off them stay in queue. When i deactivate that option, all the mails in queue, are sent. I ask my vendor for that problem, they test my firewall in their offices, but all it's ok. In my home, donsn't work. Must i change anything in my exchange ?? Best regards It sounds like your firewall is blocking outbound connections. You may need to configure exchange to use a SmartHost (your...