exchange 2000 #16

Hello,

Today I had some outgoing mail problems and my isp told me to going into my
exchange server to change my smtp to there new smtp address. He explained to
me he did not no where to go and help me with this. I was wondering were do I
go and take care of this process?

thanks for your help

John
0
John1063 (943)

In news:CC2E244F-EB13-484B-88A4-6B9BDCA16C3E@microsoft.com,
John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Hello,
>
> Today I had some outgoing mail problems and my isp told me to going
> into my exchange server to change my smtp to there new smtp address.
> He explained to me he did not no where to go and help me with this. I
> was wondering were do I go and take care of this process?
>
> thanks for your help
>
> John

What he probably meant was, set up an SMTP connector to forward mail to
their SMTP server as a smarthost -

1. In Exchange System manager - find your routing groups section, create a
new connector, SMTP.
2. Name it something logical (ISP's SMTP Server, Forward to ISP as
Smarthost, etc) and choose forward all messages to the following smart host-
put in your ISP's smtp server there (e.g., smtp.myISP.com)
3. Under local bridgeheads, select your server.
4. In the Address Space tab, add an *  (meaning, mail sent to all domains),
SMTP -

NB: Do not select
Allow messages to be relayed to those domains,  or you'll open yourself up
to relay spam.

THAT SAID - what sort of problems were you having to begin with? Do you have
a static public IP, and does it have a PTR (reverse lookup record)? Your ISP
has to do that; you can't.

0
lanwench (7567)
1/9/2007 1:20:00 AM
Are you relaying outbound mail through your service provider? If yes, and
the provider wants you to change the addresses of its mail servers, you
should look for the smarthost on your SMTP Connector for address space *.
There's a change (particularly in single server environments) that the
smarthost may actually be set up on the SMTP Virtual Server as well. If
that's the case, it is recommended to remove smarthost from SMTP VS and
create a SMTP Connector for address space * (if you don't already have one),
and inserting the ISP's smarthost(s) on the Connector instead.

You can add ISP's smtp servers as fqdn (e.g. servername.domain.com) or IP
addresses. When using IP addresses, these should be enclosed in square
brackets - e.g. [1.2.3.4]. Multiple values are separated by a coma - e.g.
server1.domain.com,server2.domain.com - or if using IPs -
[1.2.3.4],[5.6.7.8]

--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

> Hello,
>
> Today I had some outgoing mail problems and my isp told me to going into
> my
> exchange server to change my smtp to there new smtp address. He explained
> me he did not no where to go and help me with this. I was wondering were
> do I
> go and take care of this process?
>
> thanks for your help
>
> John

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
1/9/2007 1:20:47 AM
Lanwench,

thanks for your reply.

I was having issues when the isp change ownership to a new company and I did
discover today that the PTR record was missing. I was getting a ton of delay
and undeliverable emails. They created another PTR record and told me to
change my current smtp address. I did input the change in the smtp connector
"forward all mail through this connector to the following smarthost" that's
where i entered the new smtp address where it was pointing to an ip address
of the old ISP. I did enter the name example xyz.com vrs an IP address, is
that okay? Mail seemes to be working. I just wanted to know if I was in the
right spot on what i did. On the address space tab it was already set to smtp
with an asterick and a cost of 1. Nothing changed. thanks for your help and
let me know what you think on my question.

thanks

john

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:CC2E244F-EB13-484B-88A4-6B9BDCA16C3E@microsoft.com,
> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Today I had some outgoing mail problems and my isp told me to going
> > into my exchange server to change my smtp to there new smtp address.
> > He explained to me he did not no where to go and help me with this. I
> > was wondering were do I go and take care of this process?
> >
> > thanks for your help
> >
> > John
>
> What he probably meant was, set up an SMTP connector to forward mail to
> their SMTP server as a smarthost -
>
> 1. In Exchange System manager - find your routing groups section, create a
> new connector, SMTP.
> 2. Name it something logical (ISP's SMTP Server, Forward to ISP as
> Smarthost, etc) and choose forward all messages to the following smart host-
> put in your ISP's smtp server there (e.g., smtp.myISP.com)
> 3. Under local bridgeheads, select your server.
> 4. In the Address Space tab, add an *  (meaning, mail sent to all domains),
> SMTP -
>
> NB: Do not select
> Allow messages to be relayed to those domains,  or you'll open yourself up
> to relay spam.
>

> THAT SAID - what sort of problems were you having to begin with? Do you have
> a static public IP, and does it have a PTR (reverse lookup record)? Your ISP
> has to do that; you can't.

0
John1063 (943)
1/9/2007 3:37:01 AM
In news:6F24CE8B-FFE8-4F0E-B756-B9B9226A4574@microsoft.com,
John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Lanwench,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> I was having issues when the isp change ownership to a new company
> and I did discover today that the PTR record was missing. I was
> getting a ton of delay and undeliverable emails. They created another
> PTR record and told me to change my current smtp address. I did input
> the change in the smtp connector "forward all mail through this
> connector to the following smarthost" that's where i entered the new
> smtp address where it was pointing to an ip address of the old ISP. I
> did enter the name example xyz.com vrs an IP address, is that okay?
> Mail seemes to be working. I just wanted to know if I was in the
> right spot on what i did. On the address space tab it was already set
> to smtp with an asterick and a cost of 1. Nothing changed. thanks for
> your help and let me know what you think on my question.

It's fine, but if you're sending all mail to a smarthost, the PTR can't
matter :)

> thanks
>
> john
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> In news:CC2E244F-EB13-484B-88A4-6B9BDCA16C3E@microsoft.com,
>> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Today I had some outgoing mail problems and my isp told me to going
>>> into my exchange server to change my smtp to there new smtp address.
>>> He explained to me he did not no where to go and help me with this.
>>> I was wondering were do I go and take care of this process?
>>>
>>> thanks for your help
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> What he probably meant was, set up an SMTP connector to forward mail
>> to their SMTP server as a smarthost -
>>
>> 1. In Exchange System manager - find your routing groups section,
>> create a new connector, SMTP.
>> 2. Name it something logical (ISP's SMTP Server, Forward to ISP as
>> Smarthost, etc) and choose forward all messages to the following
>> smart host- put in your ISP's smtp server there (e.g.,
>> smtp.myISP.com)
>> 3. Under local bridgeheads, select your server.
>> 4. In the Address Space tab, add an *  (meaning, mail sent to all
>> domains), SMTP -
>>
>> NB: Do not select
>> Allow messages to be relayed to those domains,  or you'll open
>> yourself up to relay spam.
>>

>> THAT SAID - what sort of problems were you having to begin with? Do
>> you have a static public IP, and does it have a PTR (reverse lookup
>> record)? Your ISP has to do that; you can't.

0
lanwench (7567)

Exchange Cluster

Page Numbers in Publisher 2000
I am completing our Employee Handbook and do not want page umbers on my first 9 pages. Page 10 is the first one I want numbered beginning with page #1. Instead my page #10 is labeled page #1. Can anyone help and let me know if this is possible with this software? Thanks. -- Kay -- Kay Correction "Kay" wrote: > I am completing our Employee Handbook and do not want page numbers on my first 9 pages. Page 10 is the first one I want numbered beginning with page #1. > Instead my page #10 is labeled page #10. Can anyone help and let me know if > this is possibl...

Exchange

Cannot Unistall IMF Exchange 2003

Exchange / POP3

virus attacks against Exchange

Exchange 2003 #5

Microsoft Exchange #3

Exchange-Integrated Help Desk Software

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

Problems between two Exchange Servers

GLOBALROOT Error on Exchange 2003

Date Button in Header (Excel 2000)
Is there a way to change the format of the date button in the header? I get 12/11/04 and would like December 11, 2004. Thanks, Jim I bet you're writing about File|page setup|Header/footer tab and clicking that date button to insert the current date (you get this: &[Date] in the header section. If yes, you could type anything you want (a static date, though). Or you could use a macro that sets the header whenever you print/print preview. I recorded a macro when I changed the header. I got this code (after deleting lots of stuff I didn't care about): With ActiveSheet...

antigen on exchange #2

Exchange Calendar Item vs. Outlook problem
Our Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server has what appears to be a corrupt calendar item for January 20, 2004. Those people who have this recurring(?) calendar item experience an Outlook lock up (CPU 100% running process outlook.exe) when accessing their calendar for that date and when syncing for offline Outlook use. This effects Outlook versions 2000 and 2002. Because the item can not be accessed from an Outlook client it can not be deleted. Is there a way to delete recurring calendar items from a specific date in the private data store? Is there an Outlook patch that prevents the CPU utilization p...

Exchange 2007 RSG and Isinteg
We are running exchange 2007 on a windows 2008 server, both are fully patched. We backup with Backup Exec 12.5, again fully patched. All of our backups finish without any problems. Our problem; when i restore a database backup to a RSG and then try to restore a mailbox i recieve errors telling me that the maxium number of corrupted messages has been reached. i tried moving the limit up, but i have to move the limit up to 5000 before it works and then i only get a few emails not the complete contents of the mailbox. After a bit of research i found a few similar cases. These were resolv...

Restore Exchange...help!!!!
My 'broken' Exchange2003\win2003 server (not DC) had it's partitions labelled...'system' for C:\, 'Exchange' for D: and 'logs' for E:. How important is it I label the new Exchange server drives the same before the restore (I am not sure of the EXACT names!!!) Also my log files were all on drive D:\ (the only things on that drive) do I need to restore them too...they may not be exactly in sync with the other data being restored? Finally, what part of my 'Exchsvr' folder do I need to restore from backup? I think that may be a few days older tha...

emails retained in exchange 2003 queue
Hi to all, i have a ZyWall firewall (hardware) with a Turbo Card option installed. When i activate the anti-virus option in the firewall, i can receive emails, but all that i sent, do not go out, all off them stay in queue. When i deactivate that option, all the mails in queue, are sent. I ask my vendor for that problem, they test my firewall in their offices, but all it's ok. In my home, donsn't work. Must i change anything in my exchange ?? Best regards It sounds like your firewall is blocking outbound connections. You may need to configure exchange to use a SmartHost (your...

Outlook 2000 to 2003 #4
I have a new pc with Outlook 2003, however all of my old messages are on another pc running Outlook 2000. Is there a way to get all of my messages easily transferred to my new pc? What if I copy th ePST file from the 2000 machine and paste it in the proper directory on the 2003 machine, will that work? Thanks! Do NOT try to overwrite a PST file. Just open the PST files in Outlook and copy what you want. If you want to reuse all your old data, migrate the Outlook Data File using these instructions: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx -- Russ Valentine [...

Issues with blank email replies on Exchange
Hi, A user recently emailed and said everytime he is vpn'd into the office from home (on his works laptop) he gets an odd problem. He can't send or reply to any emails. And when it does send it sends as a blank message - but somtimes takes about 7-8 attempts to get that far even. He does not get the problem in work. The error is "Error getting data from myexchangeserver.mydomain.com" He has full access to everything else using VPN and can receive emails ok - he can also remote desktop fine and c$ machines etc and read/write to file shares as normal. Details (Outlook...