Exch 5.5 to 2003 ADMT \ ADC migration order question

Hi guys.

I've been reading posts and performing tests in the run up to a
Exchange 5.5 to 2003 intra-org migration.

In everyone's opinion, which is the best order

-> ADC (not enabled)
-> ADMT to create new AD account (run in batches)
-> ADClean to marry disabled place holder and new account (run in
batches)
-> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration)

The above seems to have issues with no self rights so if you remove
SIDhistory after the migration is done, wont the systems permission go
bang as it's masking the lack of self rights?

OR.......

-> ADMT to create all the new AD account
-> ADC
-> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration)

In this case is the self-rights ok? And as we are doing a rolling
migration across several servers on a site per site basis, is it an
idea to manually set the ADC CA's to refresh (i.e run to update) when
requested in case a new user is added to the NT 5.5 side during the
migration. Then can run ADMT first to capture the account, then refresh

the CA to update both sides?

Again the same question regarding the self rights, and regarding
running the MS SIDhistory removal script with this method (would it
bugger up).

Really appreciate any feed back.

My testing has shown there's definatly a difference in the rights set
between
ADC -> ADMT -> ADClean move mailbox
and a
ADMT ->ADC -> move mailbox

It seems that ADMT is the way to go (and suspect the MS supported way?)

"KarlC" <karl.chaloner@talk21.com> wrote in news:1118911127.714374.167770
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> ADMT ->ADC -> move mailbox
>
> It seems that ADMT is the way to go (and suspect the MS supported way?)

Yeah, get the accounts in place first. That will mean less work for the ADC
to do.

Regards,

--
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP

We have found a weird issue with the "Self"  mailbox right.....

Following the standard procedure to the letter....

ADMT v2 first of all (used Sidhistory).

ADC (latest version)

I viewed the mailbox permissions at this point, there was no self right
on the mailbox but the users NT4 and AD accounts were listed.

Moved mailbox from 5.5 to 2003.

Refreshed ADC.

Checked rights again,  still no "self" assigned to the mailbox. Hmmmm.

Any thoughts?

I can't get my head around why the permissions are set like this if we
do the "correct" ADMT (with SIDhistory), ADC, Move mailbox process.

Question 1.....Following the "correct" ADMT, ADC, move mailbox
process, why is there no "self" right against the mailbox? (In fact
this is the same even if ADC is done first).

Question 2.... When doing the ADMT, ADC, move mailbox, has anyone found
issues when a 5.5 account has delegate access to a MIGRATED 2003
mailbox, even when the self right is added? (works ok once they are
both migrated across).

Question 3.....When you do a ADC, ADMT, then ADClean then move mailbox
there is ONLY the NT4 account why?

Question 4.... Is there any detailed info on this process? The
deployment guide seems just to say right do ADMT, ADC, move and Bob's
your uncle, it doesn't really give the detailed info (I can understand
why) on how the permissions are set like this. I'd love to get a thread
going on this as it's an interesting topic!

answers answers answers....

Question 1...
No matter which migration path you take (either ADC first or ADMT
first) you don't get self mailbox rights, this only occurs on fresh new
accounts

Question 2...
Yes, delegate access is buggered up when you follow the standard ADMT
first. This is because both the delegate and the delegator both have
been ADMT'd ,
If Delegates are an issue during co-existence, go for ADC first then
ADMT ADClean etc (then you find delegates works both ways, but only
send on behalf of doesn't work)

Question 3...
It's just the way the migration pans out. Different processes give
different results. ADC first, Add self and AD account but ensure the
associated external account (and therefore MAS is cleared)

Question 4...
No not in the public domain which is a real shame. If in doubt raise a
call with MS.
MS seem to push the ADMT first as less steps in the process (i.e no
ADClean etc) are needed. ADC first is ok providing you don't enable the
placeholders!!!!
>From what I've found ADC first, then ADMT \ ADClean move mailboxes is
best for rolling migrations but was always worried about what is the
correct way.

Important! DO NOT rely on the above or any white paper or newsgroup
posting as each deployment requires different methods. Above all TEST
TEST TEST TEST TEST!!!!!

Excel 2003 giving annoying "Send/Don't Send" error when closing
I am accessing an instance of Excel 2003 through a Codegear C++ program I'm writing. The code looks something like this (not that it really matters all that much): TExcelApplication* ea = new TExcelApplication(this); ea->Connect(); ExcelWorkbookPtr ewbPtr = ea->get_ActiveWorkbook(); // do stuff... ewbPtr.Release(); delete ea; ea = 0; I can connect to Excel and write to it just fine. However, when I try to disconnect from it and close/delete the Excel application instance, I get an annoying Excel error message that says, "Excel has encountered a problem and...

OWA Question (Exch 2003)
Exchange 2003. If I go to http://owa/exchange/mailbox and login as Administrator to a certain persons mailbox (Administrator in our domain has rights to all mailboxes) - can the user tell if their email has been logged into? Can I tell from Event viewer or other means? If you open and read messages, they will be marked as read when they view them in Outlook themselves. What is the overall goal? Maybe there is a better way. William Lefkovics, MCSE, A+, ExchangeMVP Hades wrote: > Exchange 2003. > > If I go to http://owa/exchange/mailbox and login as Administrator to a > ...

Syncing information between AD and Exchange 5.5
I am not sure if anyone can answer this we users on Exchange 5.5 as well as AD. I would would if anyone know of a third party program that will allow me to populate information on the Exchange 5.5 side onto the AD user side? For instance for the email portion of it I would like to populate users email and have it appear on the AD side. I know I might have to select the users which isn't a big deal but anything would be nice. TIA. On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:35:52 -0500, "WooYing" <wooying@nospaming.net> wrote: >I am not sure if anyone can answer this we users on Exchan...

Exchange Server 2003 SP3
Does anyone know when (or even if) Microsoft are due to release SP3 for Exchange 2003. I have an issue that has a "call PSS" hotfix, but the KB article states "if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 service pack that contains this hotfix" and I need to evaluate whether it is worth applying the hotfix or just waiting. On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 15:49:46 +0100, "Wayne" <wayne@nospam.com> wrote: >Does anyone know when (or even if) Microsoft are due to release SP3 for >Exc...

Folder View Outlook 2003
I recently renamed my Outlook.pst file so I could replace it with a Outlook.pst file from my main computer. This allows me to keep up to date on my laptop. I have done this numerous times in the past. Both systems us Outlook 2003 with all the current updates. This time, when I did it there are two Personal Folders showing in the Folder View. They are exact duplicates of each other. There is only one pst file indicated in my data path. I have noticed that when I go to E-mail Accounts and look in the "Deliver New Mail To The Following Location" there are to Personal Folde...

Publisher 2003 #10
Can anyone tell me if Publisher 2003 has Thumbnail in it's Tool Menu! Like Front Page has! No, it does not. "Sam Kellogg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DEB8498F-D84B-4C6B-A2AE-C41D7B478396@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me if Publisher 2003 has Thumbnail in it's Tool Menu! Like Front Page has! Let me add to that. You CAN create a thumbnail but it's not an autothumbnail feature. This is from the Help file. I'm going to assume you do not have Pub 2003 otherwise you've have done your own research, right? 1.. On your ...

Migration Not going so well....
I was so excited that I was able to migrate data into the cdf_mscrm database in SQL Server 2005. I viewed all the data and verified that everything was in the correct tables. I then used the CDF migration wizard to Migrate the data. The weird thing is that it says in CDF records for Annotations : 9,942 but for non migrated records it also says 9,942, so in other words, no records were migrated. I also am trying to migrate contacts at the same time. They too are not migrating. The log gives no errors. Any Ideas? Thanks, Bebandit A couple of things to look for: Check your annotationbas...

Excel 2003 - VBA
Hi Guys: I have a spreadsheet where I am pulling Account data from several sources. One thing that I am looking for is to see if a given account has been on the same strategy for the duration of the period under test. Visually I would determine this by scanning a row of data to see that the strategy code (Alpha Code) was consistent throughout the period. Is there a quick way of looking at a range of cells and determining if they are all the same? The period could be several hundred cells long. Craig You can use a formula like: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A...

Trend Micro SMEX ver 6 and exch 2k
Hi. I am running exchange 2k enterprise on a win2k platform (patched and hotfixed to date) I am also running scanmail for exchange version 6 (SMEX) and the e-manager plug-in for Smex anti-spam. My issue is this, every day at approx 1:30pm clients outlook become unresponsive until the exchange server is rebooted. Stopping the Exchange or SMEX related services is not an option because the ScanMail_RealTimeScan service appears to interact with the store in such a way as to prevent either service from stopping gracefully. ie they just hang and the only work around is reboot server. Not good ;0( ...

exchange 2000 to 2003 #2
Hello, My org is considering migrating to exc2k3 from exc2k. Currently all our servers run on win2k and the domain is in native mode. We already run exc2k enterprise due to storage requirements. Can you let me know what we would need software wise to move to win2k3/exc2k3, including CALS. Would we needs exc2k3 enterprise? Do you have any good docs on uprading the AD/Exchange from 2k to 2k3? Thanks. You really need to check with your MS reseller on licensing. Whether you need Exchange Enterprise is really dependent on your needs. Two of the biggest limitations with standard are a si...

Outlook 2003
I've noticed that attachments look different in Outlook 2003 than they did in XP when composing messages. In XP, they did not appear inthe message, but under the subject line. Now they look to be embedded in the messae like they do in Outlook Express. Any idea how to change this back? Thanks Change your message format. Plain text = attachments below the message. Rich Text = attachments in the body. HTML = attachments in the header. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, al...

"last modified" timestamp function in excel 2003
i need to insert a function for a cell that captures the last time the file was *modified* (not last accessed or last saved). i am sure there exists such a thing, but was surprised to not find it in the list of built-in date & time functions. -- thanks so much! veek If you really want to keep up with latest time that the workbook was modified, then you need to work through the Workbook_SheetChange() event handler. With code similar to this (change the sheet name and cell address to point to where ever you want this time stamp to appear) Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh...

Comments #5
I made a long comment in my excel spread sheet and I want to highlight the comment and copy and paste in a Word document. The comment is longer than one page so how can I highlight it so I can copy it? Richard How did you make this comment? Insert>Comment or? You should be able to right-click on the cell and Edit Comment. Highlight the text and copy. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 14:56:40 -0700, "Richard" <miller6708@cox.net> wrote: >I made a long comment in my excel spread sheet and I want to highlight the >comment and copy and paste in a ...

Non-inventory items in sales order processing
I am taking an opinion poll more than anything with this question. For any of you that use Sales Order Processing, do you have any issues with your people entering non-inventory items instead of inventory items by mistake? If so, what did you do to prevent it? I know about the non-inventory check box at the bottom of the Sales Item Detail Entry screen. I also know about the setting in SOP setup to not allow non-inventory items to be entered. Was it a common occurrence? Who caught the error once the order was saved? Was this just a training issue? I would appreciate your thoughts. Than...

Does DDNS work with Exch 2003?
I had DDNS (no-ip.com) working with Exchange 2000 a while ago but now I'm trying it out on 2003 and cannot get it to work. Everything gets stuck in the queue and mail from the outside bounces back to the sender. I know I'm a rookie but it's the only way I can learn. I have a feeling my FQDN is not right as well as my MX records. Any help will be appreciated. BP As long as your Exchange 2003 server is able to receive messages, that shouldn't cause any problem (of course, supposing your DDNS is updated when necessary). What error message do you get ? "Brian Par...

how to start outlook 2003?
when i click on outlook its general tap appears with the message "outlook is unable to open this file" Have you tried a new profile from Control Panel->Mail Icon? Did Outlook ever work? If yes, what did you change just before it stopped working? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, ak20 asked: | when i click on outlook its general tap appears with the message | "outlook is unable to o...

Outlook 2003 #319
I have created a desktop for my wife but when I try and set up her mail in Outlook I get the error "unable to open default e-mail folders Any help Thanks Are you setting up via the mail applet in the control panel? "PapaBear" <PapaBear@redridinghood.com> wrote in message news:etf2c21200q7rp6htheqp8n1bvorblg9a7@4ax.com... > I have created a desktop for my wife but when I try and set up her > mail in Outlook I get the error "unable to open default e-mail > folders > Any help > Thanks On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:23:19 +0100, "DL" <address@in...

Exch.2003, clients cannot open attachments
I have exchange 2003 and clients are complaining that they cannot open attachment. Any suggestion ? Thanks Do you have anti virus software scanning your mail when it goes out? Maybe the virus software is corrupting the file before it sent. Try stopping the service. Gary ...

Exchange 2003 SP2 #10
We are running Exchange 2003 on our Active directory DC/GC, the server has 2GB Ram installed. Is it safe to install SP2 without modifying the boot.ini with the 3GB switch setting? This is not SBS 03. ...

Easiest way to backorder all items on an order.
I have a client who needs to be able to backorder items where significant qtys already exist in Inventory. These would be quotes made into orders and they may have upwards of 100 a day. The date of some of the orders may be up to a year in the future so they do not want to allocate items that they could sell in the meantime but they need to have the qtys included when they auto generate POs. I have looked and there does not seem to be a way to automatically send the item to backorder but does anyone have an idea of the best way to change this manfully? I tried to work with macros but...

Outlook 2003
I just sent replies (with PDF attachments) to two messages and found out that the recipients received 8 - 10 copies of my email within 30 minutes. Strangely, none of these ever ended up in the Sent Messages folder. What caused this and how can I keep it from happening again? (One of the guys suggested the system might be on autorepeat. If so, how would I fix that?) ...

Migration Exch 5.5 to Exch 2003
Hello all. I had a lot of fun with our old Exchange server lately as I have the function of an admin here in our small company, but to be true: I am none. Making a lot of errors, learning more. At last we convinced the boss to buy new software, even though it was not in our "investment plan". New software yes, but not new hardware. Ok, here my problems are starting... This is current: PDC with Win NT 4.0 (2 GB first harddisk partition - WHY?) BDC with Win NT 4.0 (same 2GB partition thing, is there a special reason for it? This prevents me from "simple updating" the comp...

illegal operation #5
when i attempt to open outlook a box opens saying there was an illegal operation "outlook caused an invalid page fault in module OUTLLIB.DLL at 017f: 3a61f688" what does that mean and what can I do? ...

broken images in outlook 2003
I have an outlook 2003 client. Since several weeks ago, all the images I get are broken (red x at the top left). If I reply or forward using Word as my editor, then the image comes back. If I use the internal outlook editor then the image stays broken. This machine has worked for ywo years without a problem. Any ideas? Thanks! Ilan Raab are they broken or do you see the message that to download them you need to right click in the image placeholder? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart...

Old user keeps receiving mail in Exch 2003
I have a old user (she has been deleted) that keeps receiving a large amount of SPAM. I have the Exchange server automatically move this undeliverable mail to a folder on the server called BadMail, and once a week I go and manually delete all the files in that directory. The question are: 1. Can exchange be set up to reject the mail to this old user (not except it for local delivery to the domain) 2. If not 1, then can I set exchange up to automatically dump the inbound undeliverables Thanks in advance what version of Exchange? if it's 2000 or 2003, you can configure your serv...