Exch 2003: Alternate Server recovery question

Sorry my last post was really long.

What is the alternate server recovery scenario useful for (that is when is
it necessary to recover exchange to an alternate server that is on a separate
AD forest, with a separate DC and DNS server)?

I thought that was a thing of the past...exch 5.5.

if you want to see what i mean click
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/exchange2003/tnt1-101.mspx
and click the "Alternate Server Recovery" link.

thank you
TM Ayala
0
TMAyala (2)

Well, Recovery Storage Groups don't work for every situation.  For example,
if the original Exchange server has been removed from the Org, and you need
to recover a mailbox from that server, you cannot use the Recovery Storage
Group.  Likewise, if a user's mailbox has been deleted, and then
subsequently re-created, I do not believe you can use the RSG.

Alternate Recovery Forests still have their purpose, IMO, you just don't
have to use them near as often now...

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"TM Ayala" <TMAyala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry my last post was really long.
>
> What is the alternate server recovery scenario useful for (that is when is
> it necessary to recover exchange to an alternate server that is on a
> separate
> AD forest, with a separate DC and DNS server)?
>
> I thought that was a thing of the past...exch 5.5.
>
> if you want to see what i mean click
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/exchange2003/tnt1-101.mspx
> and click the "Alternate Server Recovery" link.
>
> thank you
> TM Ayala

0
Ben
8/4/2006 8:19:09 PM
Ah.
So, if i lost my server to some disaster but I have all my backups (system
state, db, logs) and all my ducks in a row (identical hardware, MS Disaster
REcovery Op guide) and I haven't deleted anything from AD or any mailboxes, I
can restore my exchange server w/o using the alternate forest
environment--did i understand correctly? there are uses for the alternate
forest but a "typical" server restore doesn't (such as failed hw) require
this...yes?

also, is it possible to remove that really long post (i said nothing in a
lot of words)?
"Subject: Exchange 2003 DR: parallel universe really necessary for full sys
recovery"

thanks ben for helping me with this--it's a ton of reading!
"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Well, Recovery Storage Groups don't work for every situation.  For example,
> if the original Exchange server has been removed from the Org, and you need
> to recover a mailbox from that server, you cannot use the Recovery Storage
> Group.  Likewise, if a user's mailbox has been deleted, and then
> subsequently re-created, I do not believe you can use the RSG.
>
> Alternate Recovery Forests still have their purpose, IMO, you just don't
> have to use them near as often now...
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "TM Ayala" <TMAyala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry my last post was really long.
> >
> > What is the alternate server recovery scenario useful for (that is when is
> > it necessary to recover exchange to an alternate server that is on a
> > separate
> > AD forest, with a separate DC and DNS server)?
> >
> > I thought that was a thing of the past...exch 5.5.
> >
> > if you want to see what i mean click
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/exchange2003/tnt1-101.mspx
> > and click the "Alternate Server Recovery" link.
> >
> > thank you
> > TM Ayala

0
TMAyala (2)
8/4/2006 8:40:02 PM
I don't think that's a Recovery Storage Group scenario.  Restoring an entire
server that you've just rebuilt doesn't require an alternate forest OR a
Recovery Storage Group...
Have a look at
and then see what questions you have about RSG's.

--

> Ah.
> So, if i lost my server to some disaster but I have all my backups (system
> state, db, logs) and all my ducks in a row (identical hardware, MS
> Disaster
> REcovery Op guide) and I haven't deleted anything from AD or any
> mailboxes, I
> can restore my exchange server w/o using the alternate forest
> environment--did i understand correctly? there are uses for the alternate
> forest but a "typical" server restore doesn't (such as failed hw) require
> this...yes?
>
> also, is it possible to remove that really long post (i said nothing in a
> lot of words)?
> "Subject: Exchange 2003 DR: parallel universe really necessary for full
> sys
> recovery"
>
> thanks ben for helping me with this--it's a ton of reading!
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Well, Recovery Storage Groups don't work for every situation.  For
>> example,
>> if the original Exchange server has been removed from the Org, and you
>> need
>> to recover a mailbox from that server, you cannot use the Recovery
>> Storage
>> Group.  Likewise, if a user's mailbox has been deleted, and then
>> subsequently re-created, I do not believe you can use the RSG.
>>
>> Alternate Recovery Forests still have their purpose, IMO, you just don't
>> have to use them near as often now...
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "TM Ayala" <TMAyala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Sorry my last post was really long.
>> >
>> > What is the alternate server recovery scenario useful for (that is when
>> > is
>> > it necessary to recover exchange to an alternate server that is on a
>> > separate
>> > AD forest, with a separate DC and DNS server)?
>> >
>> > I thought that was a thing of the past...exch 5.5.
>> >
>> > if you want to see what i mean click
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/exchange2003/tnt1-101.mspx
>> > and click the "Alternate Server Recovery" link.
>> >
>> > thank you
>> > TM Ayala

0
Ben

Excel 2003 giving annoying "Send/Don't Send" error when closing
I am accessing an instance of Excel 2003 through a Codegear C++ program I'm writing. The code looks something like this (not that it really matters all that much): TExcelApplication* ea = new TExcelApplication(this); ea->Connect(); ExcelWorkbookPtr ewbPtr = ea->get_ActiveWorkbook(); // do stuff... ewbPtr.Release(); delete ea; ea = 0; I can connect to Excel and write to it just fine. However, when I try to disconnect from it and close/delete the Excel application instance, I get an annoying Excel error message that says, "Excel has encountered a problem and...

OWA Question (Exch 2003)
Exchange 2003. If I go to http://owa/exchange/mailbox and login as Administrator to a certain persons mailbox (Administrator in our domain has rights to all mailboxes) - can the user tell if their email has been logged into? Can I tell from Event viewer or other means? If you open and read messages, they will be marked as read when they view them in Outlook themselves. What is the overall goal? Maybe there is a better way. William Lefkovics, MCSE, A+, ExchangeMVP Hades wrote: > Exchange 2003. > > If I go to http://owa/exchange/mailbox and login as Administrator to a > ...

Trend Micro SMEX ver 6 and exch 2k
Hi. I am running exchange 2k enterprise on a win2k platform (patched and hotfixed to date) I am also running scanmail for exchange version 6 (SMEX) and the e-manager plug-in for Smex anti-spam. My issue is this, every day at approx 1:30pm clients outlook become unresponsive until the exchange server is rebooted. Stopping the Exchange or SMEX related services is not an option because the ScanMail_RealTimeScan service appears to interact with the store in such a way as to prevent either service from stopping gracefully. ie they just hang and the only work around is reboot server. Not good ;0( ...

Excel 2003 - VBA
Hi Guys: I have a spreadsheet where I am pulling Account data from several sources. One thing that I am looking for is to see if a given account has been on the same strategy for the duration of the period under test. Visually I would determine this by scanning a row of data to see that the strategy code (Alpha Code) was consistent throughout the period. Is there a quick way of looking at a range of cells and determining if they are all the same? The period could be several hundred cells long. Craig You can use a formula like: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A...

Publisher 2003 #10
Can anyone tell me if Publisher 2003 has Thumbnail in it's Tool Menu! Like Front Page has! No, it does not. "Sam Kellogg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DEB8498F-D84B-4C6B-A2AE-C41D7B478396@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me if Publisher 2003 has Thumbnail in it's Tool Menu! Like Front Page has! Let me add to that. You CAN create a thumbnail but it's not an autothumbnail feature. This is from the Help file. I'm going to assume you do not have Pub 2003 otherwise you've have done your own research, right? 1.. On your ...

2007 to 2003 Formating issues
We are creating files in 2007, but have to save in 2003 because not all users have 2007. As a result, we are losing formating. It will wipe out colors, wrap text, make pivot tables just data etc. When we open 2003 we get the message "Too many different cell formats" any suggestions? Install the compatibility Pack on the 2003 PCs and stick with 2007 format Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 file formats http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101686761033.aspx Wayne wrote: > We are creating files in 2007, but ha...

Does DDNS work with Exch 2003?
I had DDNS (no-ip.com) working with Exchange 2000 a while ago but now I'm trying it out on 2003 and cannot get it to work. Everything gets stuck in the queue and mail from the outside bounces back to the sender. I know I'm a rookie but it's the only way I can learn. I have a feeling my FQDN is not right as well as my MX records. Any help will be appreciated. BP As long as your Exchange 2003 server is able to receive messages, that shouldn't cause any problem (of course, supposing your DDNS is updated when necessary). What error message do you get ? "Brian Par...

how to start outlook 2003?
when i click on outlook its general tap appears with the message "outlook is unable to open this file" Have you tried a new profile from Control Panel->Mail Icon? Did Outlook ever work? If yes, what did you change just before it stopped working? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, ak20 asked: | when i click on outlook its general tap appears with the message | "outlook is unable to o...

Exch.2003, clients cannot open attachments
I have exchange 2003 and clients are complaining that they cannot open attachment. Any suggestion ? Thanks Do you have anti virus software scanning your mail when it goes out? Maybe the virus software is corrupting the file before it sent. Try stopping the service. Gary ...

Outlook 2003 #319
I have created a desktop for my wife but when I try and set up her mail in Outlook I get the error "unable to open default e-mail folders Any help Thanks Are you setting up via the mail applet in the control panel? "PapaBear" <PapaBear@redridinghood.com> wrote in message news:etf2c21200q7rp6htheqp8n1bvorblg9a7@4ax.com... > I have created a desktop for my wife but when I try and set up her > mail in Outlook I get the error "unable to open default e-mail > folders > Any help > Thanks On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:23:19 +0100, "DL" <address@in...

listbox question 03-15-07
Hi all, Is there a way to add an Asterisk "*" after a txt in a list box automatically weather it be through check box or just first selected from a different form? My form I have a cbo that lets me choose a primary company type. This company may also be other company types which will fill a listbox. I would like the listbox to show an * in front of or behind the primary type. Dont know if possible but would like a suggestion if possible! Thanks I don't understand what do you want to do. Are you trying to update the data in a field to show an Asterisk? What is the purpose of...

HUGE Text Outlook 2003
Sometimes when I receive mail replies in Outlook, parts of the original message are in huge 100 point text size. The recipients tell me the messages are received that way. It's unprofessional, to say the least. -- AJH What do they look like in your Sent Items folder? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "JHolland" <JHolland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Exchange 2003 Enterprise Server SP1 & Windows Server 2003 SP1
does anyone know whether MS has approved installing win server 2003 sp1 over exchange 2003 sp1? thanks. On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:56:07 -0400, "Halo5011" <halo5011@gmail.com> wrote: >does anyone know whether MS has approved installing win server 2003 sp1 over >exchange 2003 sp1? > >thanks. > Absolutely. No real show stoppers to report though you may want to look at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=22CFC239-337C-4D81-8354-72593B1C1F43&displaylang=en Specifically: If you are running Windows Small Business Se...

Outlook 2003 on Windows Server 2003 terminal and Exchange 2000 #2
Hi, I have a weird problem. Setup DC1 running W2K Server DC2 running W2K Server and Exchange Server 2000 DC3 running W2K3 Server and TERMINAL SERVER and OFFICE 2003 Now the problem i when i connect to the W2K3 Server with Terminal and open Outlook 2003 i can read/reply mails without any problems. But when i try to make a new mail i cannot click the TO/CC/BCC button --> this gives me an error message that the server doesnt support it ???!!!??? It gets weirder : when i type in the TO/CC/BCC address space the alias of my contact it translates it perfectly to the correct email address. So...

download some Outlook 2003 contacts to my Sharp GX15 mobile
I'm trying to download some Outlook 2003 contacts to my Sharp GX15 mobile. I use Windows XP Home Edition. I select the contact in Outlook 2003 and then File - Send File to Bluetooth. For most of the contacts it downloads without any problem although for some contacts (it appears mainly for contacts that have more fields completed than just the basic name and phone numbers, etc.) I get an error message on the phone of 'Card rejected' and then on the laptop 'The request could not be honored'. Any advice as to why there is this apparent inconsistency would be very much ...

Visual Basic Question #2
I'm trying to put together a macro that looks to see if a particular word exists within a range in an excel spreadsheet and continues with specific instructions if it does. I know an if / then statment can be used to look within one particular cell, can it be used to look within a range of cells or better yet within a pivot table? If so what is what is the code for this? Also, is there a way to have visual basic go to a particular cell where a word is located within a pivot table or spreadsheet (a find function)? Thanks for your help lj Does this help Sub FindSomething() Dim fnd As...

Outlook 2003 #5
I just got Outlook 2003 in the mail yesterday. Is there anyone out their who has the latest version of Outlook yet? DaveS wrote: > I just got Outlook 2003 in the mail yesterday. Is there > anyone out their who has the latest version of Outlook > yet? Why do you ask, Dave? Is there something wrong? If so, please let us know the problem...maybe we can help you -- Donald L McDaniel Post All replies to the Newsgroup, so that all may be informed ============================================================= ...

Migration Exch 5.5 to Exch 2003
Hello all. I had a lot of fun with our old Exchange server lately as I have the function of an admin here in our small company, but to be true: I am none. Making a lot of errors, learning more. At last we convinced the boss to buy new software, even though it was not in our "investment plan". New software yes, but not new hardware. Ok, here my problems are starting... This is current: PDC with Win NT 4.0 (2 GB first harddisk partition - WHY?) BDC with Win NT 4.0 (same 2GB partition thing, is there a special reason for it? This prevents me from "simple updating" the comp...

What are ATT's pop3 and SMTP server names?
HI, A neighbor has ATT dialup, and just got a new computer that has Outlook 2000 on it, along with outlook express. The system is working, I used xp home's dialer to check the modem and it called out fine, so the modem isn't the problem. After setting up the email acct, it keeps saying it can't find the smtp server. It didn't dial first, so I don't understand how it couldn't find it, if it didn't dial. I made up the names for the pop3 and smtp servers, I used mail.att.net for both. I coundn't find the server names on ATT's website. Any help much appreciated...

Outlook 2003
I just sent replies (with PDF attachments) to two messages and found out that the recipients received 8 - 10 copies of my email within 30 minutes. Strangely, none of these ever ended up in the Sent Messages folder. What caused this and how can I keep it from happening again? (One of the guys suggested the system might be on autorepeat. If so, how would I fix that?) ...

Exchange 2003 SP2 #10
We are running Exchange 2003 on our Active directory DC/GC, the server has 2GB Ram installed. Is it safe to install SP2 without modifying the boot.ini with the 3GB switch setting? This is not SBS 03. ...

Old user keeps receiving mail in Exch 2003
I have a old user (she has been deleted) that keeps receiving a large amount of SPAM. I have the Exchange server automatically move this undeliverable mail to a folder on the server called BadMail, and once a week I go and manually delete all the files in that directory. The question are: 1. Can exchange be set up to reject the mail to this old user (not except it for local delivery to the domain) 2. If not 1, then can I set exchange up to automatically dump the inbound undeliverables Thanks in advance what version of Exchange? if it's 2000 or 2003, you can configure your serv...

broken images in outlook 2003
I have an outlook 2003 client. Since several weeks ago, all the images I get are broken (red x at the top left). If I reply or forward using Word as my editor, then the image comes back. If I use the internal outlook editor then the image stays broken. This machine has worked for ywo years without a problem. Any ideas? Thanks! Ilan Raab are they broken or do you see the message that to download them you need to right click in the image placeholder? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart...

.pst files from Outlook 2000 to 2003
Is it possible to transfer e-mail files (.pst) with sub folders and still keep date received and attachments intact? Yes. If you have both the new PST and the old PST you can open them both in the same instance of Outlook. Just copy the messages from the old PST to the new PST (just like copying files in Explorer). Once you've got your folders and messages in the new PST they will still have the same properties including attachments, they had in the old PST. You can then close the old PST and do whatever with it, delete, backup and delete or just leave them both to clean up later. I lik...

Exch 2003: Alternate Server recovery question
Sorry my last post was really long. What is the alternate server recovery scenario useful for (that is when is it necessary to recover exchange to an alternate server that is on a separate AD forest, with a separate DC and DNS server)? I thought that was a thing of the past...exch 5.5. if you want to see what i mean click http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/exchange2003/tnt1-101.mspx and click the "Alternate Server Recovery" link. thank you TM Ayala Well, Recovery Storage Groups don't work for every situation. For example, if the original Exchange server...