Ex5.5 Very Slow Restore from Tape #2

One of my users accidentally erased some information from a public folder,
so now I have to restore from backup. I have done this before and I don't
seem to recall any problems. However this time, the restore seems to be
taking forever. I have shut down all the Exchange services and am using
ntbackup to restore the public folders file (pub.edb).

Right now, the restore has been running for 90 minutes. The Exchange backup
is the first thing on this tape. The pub.edb is about 500Mb and the priv.edb
is 2Gb. There are also some files from the server's C: drive on this tape. I
tried restoring one of those files and it went very quickly.

So could it be normal to take this long?

Thanks
Brian

0
Reply5143 (4)

1. 90 minutes does seem long for a restore of only 500 mg, but not
knowing what sort of hardware and tapes you are using or how you are
doing the restore...
2. I assume this is an offline backup and restore since you have shut
down the exch services? I recommend you do full, online, exch-aware
backups with NTBACKUP instead.
2. You should be restoring to a recovery server, not your production
box ( if that is what you are doing)
3. Do you have deleted item retention enabled for the public store? If
so, you can recover the items from Outlook if the items were deleted
within the alloted retention time. If not, think of setting it for the
future.

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:40:20 -0500, "Brian" <Reply@here.com> wrote:

>One of my users accidentally erased some information from a public folder,
>so now I have to restore from backup. I have done this before and I don't
>seem to recall any problems. However this time, the restore seems to be
>taking forever. I have shut down all the Exchange services and am using
>ntbackup to restore the public folders file (pub.edb)
>
>Right now, the restore has been running for 90 minutes. The Exchange backup
>is the first thing on this tape. The pub.edb is about 500Mb and the priv.edb
>is 2Gb. There are also some files from the server's C: drive on this tape. I
>tried restoring one of those files and it went very quickly.
>
>So could it be normal to take this long?
>
>Thanks
>Brian

0
adavid (8731)
12/2/2004 2:07:10 AM
"Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote
> 1. 90 minutes does seem long for a restore of only 500 mg, but not
> knowing what sort of hardware and tapes you are using or how you are
> doing the restore...
I put that I was using NTbackup in another sentence and must have erased it.
So, it is NTbackup. NT 4.0, Echange 5.5. The tape drive is a segate DDS2.
The server is a dual PII-300 with 512Mb of RAM

> 2. I assume this is an offline backup and restore since you have shut
> down the exch services? I recommend you do full, online, exch-aware
> backups with NTBACKUP instead.
Actually, NTbackup shut down the services for me. I wasn't too worried about
it becuase the KB article I was following siad to shut them down as well.
They are online backups, though.

> 2. You should be restoring to a recovery server, not your production
> box ( if that is what you are doing)
It would be nice to have a the money to have a spare server box kicking
around, but its not so around here. Anyway, the KB article I was using give
good instructions on how to restore it right to the live server.

> 3. Do you have deleted item retention enabled for the public store? If
> so, you can recover the items from Outlook if the items were deleted
> within the alloted retention time. If not, think of setting it for the
> future.
Done and done.

Thanks for your help. Now, give these facts, does anyone think its possible
to take over 90 minutes to recover a backup?

Thanks
Brian

0
Brian
12/2/2004 1:53:20 PM
On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:53:20 -0500, "Brian" <reply2me@thenewsgroup>
wrote:

>"Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote
>> 1. 90 minutes does seem long for a restore of only 500 mg, but not
>> knowing what sort of hardware and tapes you are using or how you are
>> doing the restore...
>I put that I was using NTbackup in another sentence and must have erased it.
>So, it is NTbackup. NT 4.0, Echange 5.5. The tape drive is a segate DDS2.
>The server is a dual PII-300 with 512Mb of RAM
>
>> 2. I assume this is an offline backup and restore since you have shut
>> down the exch services? I recommend you do full, online, exch-aware
>> backups with NTBACKUP instead.
>Actually, NTbackup shut down the services for me. I wasn't too worried about
>it becuase the KB article I was following siad to shut them down as well.
>They are online backups, though.

Excellent.

>> 2. You should be restoring to a recovery server, not your production
>> box ( if that is what you are doing)
>It would be nice to have a the money to have a spare server box kicking
>around, but its not so around here. Anyway, the KB article I was using give
>good instructions on how to restore it right to the live server.

You can use any old box however. I would highly recommend it. :)

>> 3. Do you have deleted item retention enabled for the public store? If
>> so, you can recover the items from Outlook if the items were deleted
>> within the alloted retention time. If not, think of setting it for the
>> future.
>Done and done.
>
>Thanks for your help. Now, give these facts, does anyone think its possible
>to take over 90 minutes to recover a backup?

DDS2 tapes are rather old ( IIRC, 8mb storage capacity) and with 5.5,
and a dual PII restoring an online backup, I am not too surprised it
was slow.

>Thanks
>Brian

0
adavid (8731)

moved mailbox from 5.5 to 2003 now no mail! please help!!
joined an exchange 2003 server to an existing 5.5 site. as a test before moving ALL mailboxes, i moved mine... from the 5.5 box to the new 2003 machine... all went fine, no errors. i opened outlook and all my messages were there and i was able to send an email. however when someone tries to SEND me a message it gets bounced back to them with: Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure please help! restarting hte MTA on the 5.5 box seems to have fixed the problem... <jjd228@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message news:hlMmd.10167$hc5.4993354@news4.srv.hcvlny...

Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003
I have an Exchange 5.5 server in a mixed mode environment with a few Exchange 2003 servers. I have the Exchange 5.5 server specified in the Site Addressing as the routing calculation server. I would like to have one of my Exchange 2003 servers as the routing calculation server. Do you see any issues with me specifying an Exchange 2003 server as the routing calculation server in Exchange Administrator? You'd do that anyway as part of the 5.5 decommission process. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Don" &...

Getting the cell reference
Thanks both for the QUICK response - I am amazed!! I was hoping for simple formula as judging by your guys feedback, I am certainly novice user. I will try get my head around the INDEX formula info. Your help is much appreciated. Nick Hodge Wrote: > Duncan > > How are you trying to do this as you are in the misc group? > > Programmatically... > > LastRowInA = Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row > > -- > HTH > Nick Hodge > Microsoft MVP - Excel > Southampton, England > nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS > > > "DuncanG&q...

Can EX5.5/NT4 Server Exist in Native AD?
Can anybody tell me if my Exchange 5.5 (on NT4) server will explode when I upgrade our NT4 domain to AD? It will Work "sjohnson" wrote: > Can anybody tell me if my Exchange 5.5 (on NT4) server > will explode when I upgrade our NT4 domain to AD? > I don't need to worry about ADC? The Exchange server is stand-alone - the domain controllers are different boxes and will both be upgrade to AD, so I guess we'll be running AD in Native Mode. Still okay? >-----Original Message----- >It will Work > >"sjohnson" wrote: > >> Can anybody t...

MS CRM 1.2 on MSDN Subscriptions
Do you have any idea when we should expect MS CRM 1.2 in MSDN? During MS IT forum in Denmark, I was told that it would be available until 6th of December, but nothing happened yet... Thanks. Doros As Microsoft are only now shipping 1.2 to partners etc I would not expect to see CRM on msdn for a month at least. The msdn shipping highlights screen does not yet show CRM 1.2 for the jan 2004 shipment but of course this could change over night. I'll post here if I find out when it will ship on MSDN "SiEBEN Innovative Solutions" <newsgroup@sieben.gr> wrote in message new...

MsgBox #2
I have been search the web for hours looking for example spreadsheets using MsgBox to no avail. Can someone direct me in the right direction? What I am looking to do is ask a question and if the answer is "yes" do 1 thing and if "no" do something else. "Ed Davis" <ed.davis1@verizon.net> wrote in message news:4EBF4D2F-7C3F-4BAB-8366-A1C744276744@microsoft.com... >I have been search the web for hours looking for example spreadsheets using >MsgBox to no avail. > Can someone direct me in the right direction? > Hi Look at this: Sub test()...

Chart area #2
How to obtain chart area given a variant graph? Hi, Do you want to expand on this, as I not sure what you are asking. Cheers Andy miko wrote: > How to obtain chart area given a variant graph? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info will try to use ur website on finding area under graph first...say i ve a line graph, i can use trapezium rule to measure the area from the graph to the x-axis rite? thks!!! Cheers, Miko "Andy Pope" wrote: > Hi, > > Do you want to expand on this, as I not sure what you are asking. > > Cheers > Andy &...

Address spoofing using SMTP commands in internal 5.5 server
We have an Internal Mail server running on the following platform NT4.0 SP6a Exchange 5.5/SP4. Norton Antivirus for mail and OS level protection. We have noticed that its possible to open a telnet session on SMTP port "25" and run SMTP commands like "MAIL FROM: xyz@hotmail.com" and submit messages to any internal address of the mail server. This has led to a lot of security concerns ,because any smart user can submit messages with a spoofed address. Please let us know if there is a way to prevent this on our exchange 5.5 Mail server? -SP Hi, What you pro...

import external data #2
hey we have little problem when importin data from txt file. if file is in ANSI mode excel understant that is japanise but it contain finnish. If in than ansi file contain charters "ö Ö ä Ä" then that won't work. ...

Exch 5.5 issue
For 6 days we have had an aissue where email flows out BUT never flows back. The Exchange 1 queues are empty. 2.Event log refers to no errors. 3.It is up to date. 4. AV is current. 5. MX records, DNS entries are correct. 6. OS is up to date. Very curious. Thanks Hi, Try this link for troubleshooting tips. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3TransnRouting/3ba2ac5d-3e7f-4966-829c-5ee82b58382c.mspx "BrianMultiLanguage" wrote: > For 6 days we have had an aissue where email flows out BUT never flows back. > The Exchange > 1 queues are empty. ...

MS oultook slow reply when original email has HTML
We are using Exchange 2000 SP3 with mix of outlook clients 2k, 2002 and 2003. Some users have html footer attached with a small picture and that is enough to cause significant delay when you try reply or forward an email. Are there any fixes for this problem? Thanks LP In my way is disable use word to edit email from outlook\tools\options\Email message format -- Jammy "LP" <leop@charm.com> ���g��l��s�D:1r9ed.909$Do4.756@chiapp18.algx.net... > We are using Exchange 2000 SP3 with mix of outlook clients 2k, 2002 and > 2003. > > Some users have html footer a...

Exchange 5.5: Reply to all mails send to a specific domain
After merging with another company we want to inform all mail senders about the domain name change. I think with Exchange 2000 an event sink could handle that. I'm looking for an Exchange 5.5 solution. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Manfred On 10 May 2005 01:25:58 -0700, "magriii" <magriii@gmail.com> wrote: >After merging with another company we want to inform all mail senders >about the domain name change. I think with Exchange 2000 an event sink >could handle that. I'm looking for an Exchange 5.5 solution. Any ideas >are greatly appreciated. > &...

slow moving larger items between folders...
hello, i'm on exchange 5.5 and there are about 20 or so fairly large mail boxes. When moving messages containing attachments between folders in my mailbox, it takes ages! It takes about a minute to move a message of about 250k. It never used to be like this. I'm fairly sure this is a recent development. Any ideas as to why this has happened and how to solve it? Thanks Batfastad ...

Memorized Reports #2
I have installed the RMS Manager and Administrator applications from the CD on a new PC, however, I can no longer access my memorized reports that I was using on my old PC. Is there a way for me to access or transfer those old memorized reports from my old PC to my new one? Thanks in advance. Look in SO Administrator, File/Configuration. There's a Tab labeled "Paths" - you can either share the Reports directory on your old machine and point to it from the new one, or you can just copy the files over. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com gle...

Problem with Exchange 5.5/NT/Outlook 2k Authentication
I also posted this in the domain section under Win NT 4 Ok, this is an odd one and hard to explain so bear with me. We have several users that are in workgroups and other domains that need access to our exchange server. They've been using Outlook and just have to type in a valid username, domain, and password. It had been working fine. All until one day we decided to patch our exchange server (win2k) with the latest security patches. When the exchange server was rebooted, the users in workgroups could no longer get email. After looking through the logs it was discovered that...

Outlook Reminders #2
Hi, I'm experiencing a strange behaviour with Outlook 2002 reminders. Some of the meetings that I have are set with a 15 minute reminder. Normally, the 15 minute reminder pops-up and I would click on dismiss. However, when I close outlook and come back the second day for example and launch outlook I'm prompted with the reminders box with an entry stating that the same meeting I dismissed earlier is "23 hours overdue". Is this a known bug in outlook and/or is there a workaround that I could use to avoid it? TIA Ahmed Try starting Outlook once with the /CleanRemi...

Rename Exchange 5.5
Hello! I have this problem. I need to rename a Windows NT where i have installed Exchange 5.5.. It's possible?? There is any document? Exchange 5.5 will be ok after the change? Thank's a lot Andrea I don't have the definitive answer for you. I leave that to the experts who *will* respond here. However, I would *strongly* recommend you *not* do it until you have definitive answers.... My impression from my reading is that you are inviting disaster if you rename the server. I believe you will have to use the "swing method twice to: 1) Set up a temp server, install exc...

Tape Symbolic Name
I have three tape drives w/ symbolic names of tape0, tape1, and tape2. While running in a linux environment, there is no problem, but when running in WinXP, windows switches the symbolic names around, which ruins a tape read program I use. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks Jeremiah Thoman by the way, this is written in VC++ 2003 .Net ...

problems with hyperlinks to Xcel docs #2
Just realised I didn't say where the problem occurs: in excel ...

error 9318 after decomissioning last exchange 5.5
Hi group, I searched all over but did not find the answer to my problem. After decommissioning exchange 5.5 server I get same error 9318 from MSExchangeMTA every 10 min in Application log: An RPC communications error occurred. Unable to bind over RPC. Locality Table (LTAB) index: 67, Windows 2000/MTA error code: 1753. Comms error 1753, Bind error 0, Remote Server Name EXCHANGE [MAIN BASE 1 500 %10] (14) For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. We are 1 server, 1 site Exchange organization. I upgraded NT to W2K and AD and then to W3K SP1. I have 1 W3K DC and...

Service Calendar Error #2
All, Everything is working fine in CRM except Service Calendar get an error: "Server was unable to process request." So, anybody knows what's going on? and let me know and I'd appreciate it. Thanks Never mind. I got it. "Toi Day" wrote: > All, > Everything is working fine in CRM except Service Calendar get an error: > "Server was unable to process request." > So, anybody knows what's going on? and let me know and I'd appreciate it. > > Thanks It would by nice if you share youre solution with us. Thanks "Toi Day"...

2 (simple?) ToolBars & ReBars questions
I imagine these are simple questions for many of you, but I can't locate a solution. Please give me a hand. My app has 3 toolbars set into a rebar. The first is the standard Fil/Edit/View toolbar that comes automatically whe you create a new project. The 2nd and 3rd are new ones I created. My problems are: 1. The 2nd and 3rd toolbars are initially positioned far to the right of the end of 1st toolbar. They can be dragged left, but they should start out adjacent to one another. In other words, they look like: A1 A2 A3 A4 B1 B2 C1 C2 C3 2. The toolbars won'...

Macro Help #5
Dear Experts I have a range in a spreadsheet set up with a macro that concatenates the row and column headings and copies the number (if it is >0) in the cell where the column heading and row heading meet to a new worksheet. A bit like looking up a street directory. Sometimes I have to change the criteria and want only numbers copied that are >10. I know how to change the macro to do this. I now have to copy numbers that are > than minus 1. Because some of the cells in the range are empty it still concatenates the empty cells the row and column headings and copies them to the workshe...

Adding Users #2
I got this error with the adding user tool Error del usuario 1 ( Daniel Guillen Jimenez ) : (80041d2a) - SOAP Server Application Faulted ...

How to Backup Exchange 5.5
We're running Small Business Server 4.5 which comes with Exchange Server 5.5. I'm totally new to Exchange Server, but I'm responsible for backing it up now. :-) So, would someone mind telling me exactly what I need to do to backup all the e-mails, contacts, etc. in Exchange so that I could restore them if we had a disaster. I'm looking for the easiest (maybe not the most efficient) way to do this. We're currently using a backup product from a company called OnStream. As far as I can tell, it's just a 'dumb' tape backup with no Exchange-specific functionality...