Event ID:12014: unable to support the STARTTLS SMTP verb for the connector Does it matter?

In order to send mail to the rest of the world I have put a fqdn on the send
connector which matches the PTR record for the IP address.

I get a warning:
Source:        MSExchangeTransport
Event ID:      12014

Microsoft Exchange couldn't find a certificate that contains the domain name
foo.bar in the personal store on the local computer. Therefore, it is unable
to support the STARTTLS SMTP verb for the connector RestOfWorld with a FQDN
parameter of foo.bar

Does it really matter if  I am sending SMTP to the internet?

Frank

0
Frank

Dear Frank

Yes en No
Yes: If you want to use SSL for SMTP. Sometimes partners will ask for SMTP
over SSL
No: If you like to be unsecure and don't want to use SSL.

Martijn Bellaard

"Frank" <noreply@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> In order to send mail to the rest of the world I have put a fqdn on the
> send connector which matches the PTR record for the IP address.
>
> I get a warning:
> Source:        MSExchangeTransport
> Event ID:      12014
>
> Microsoft Exchange couldn't find a certificate that contains the domain
> name foo.bar in the personal store on the local computer. Therefore, it is
> unable to support the STARTTLS SMTP verb for the connector RestOfWorld
> with a FQDN parameter of foo.bar
>
> Does it really matter if  I am sending SMTP to the internet?
>
> Frank

0
Martijn
11/26/2009 2:26:55 PM
Thanks for your input Martijn

How often will a SMTP server that is setup to receive standard internet mail
ask for SSL?

I guess if I was sending to a known partner then I could make a specific
send connector for that domain

"Martijn Bellaard" <martijn@mbco.nl> wrote in message > Yes: If you want to
use SSL for SMTP. Sometimes partners will ask for SMTP
> over SSL
> No: If you like to be unsecure and don't want to use SSL.
>
> Martijn Bellaard

0
Frank
11/26/2009 3:03:54 PM
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:49:53 -0000, "Frank" <noreply@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>In order to send mail to the rest of the world I have put a fqdn on the send
>connector which matches the PTR record for the IP address.

No, you don't. While there may be some overzealous admins out there,
there's no requirement that the name on the PTR must match the name in
the ELHO/HELO command. It's not a bad idea to have them match, but
usually only a PTR record for the IP is needed.

>I get a warning:
>Source:        MSExchangeTransport
>Event ID:      12014
>
>Microsoft Exchange couldn't find a certificate that contains the domain name
>foo.bar in the personal store on the local computer. Therefore, it is unable
>to support the STARTTLS SMTP verb for the connector RestOfWorld with a FQDN
>parameter of foo.bar
>
>Does it really matter if  I am sending SMTP to the internet?

Sending? Not usually. The only time you'd HAVE to use TLS is if the
receiving MTA accepted only TLS connections.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
11/26/2009 7:01:37 PM
Exchange 2007 servers will communicate to each other using TLS when both are
so configured with certificates.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

> Thanks for your input Martijn
>
> How often will a SMTP server that is setup to receive standard internet
> mail ask for SSL?
>
> I guess if I was sending to a known partner then I could make a specific
> send connector for that domain

> "Martijn Bellaard" <martijn@mbco.nl> wrote in message > Yes: If you want
> to use SSL for SMTP. Sometimes partners will ask for SMTP
>> over SSL
>> No: If you like to be unsecure and don't want to use SSL.
>>
>> Martijn Bellaard

0
Ed
11/27/2009 2:27:28 AM
"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote >

> Sending? Not usually. The only time you'd HAVE to use TLS is if the
> receiving MTA accepted only TLS connections.

Thanks Rich and everyone else who replied

I do wish microsoft wouldn't give us red error log messages when something
may be discretionary, it leads us to devalue the logs, and perhaps ignore a
warning when it should be heeded

Frank
11/29/2009 2:17:10 PM
Dear Frank

> I guess if I was sending to a known partner then I could make a specific
> send connector for that domain
Yes you can.

Martijn

"Frank" <noreply@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Thanks for your input Martijn
>
> How often will a SMTP server that is setup to receive standard internet
> mail ask for SSL?
>
> I guess if I was sending to a known partner then I could make a specific
> send connector for that domain

> "Martijn Bellaard" <martijn@mbco.nl> wrote in message > Yes: If you want
> to use SSL for SMTP. Sometimes partners will ask for SMTP
>> over SSL
>> No: If you like to be unsecure and don't want to use SSL.
>>
>> Martijn Bellaard

0
Martijn
11/29/2009 2:38:27 PM
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 14:17:10 -0000, "Frank" <noreply@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote >
>
>> Sending? Not usually. The only time you'd HAVE to use TLS is if the
>> receiving MTA accepted only TLS connections.
>
>Thanks Rich and everyone else who replied
>
>I do wish microsoft wouldn't give us red error log messages when something
>may be discretionary, it leads us to devalue the logs, and perhaps ignore a
>warning when it should be heeded

The error is legitimate. You may, or may not, encounter email systems
that require the use of TLS. You can pretty easily create a
self-signed certificate for the machine, or use your own CA to create
certificates for this, and other, machines in your own forest. Or you
can spend $30 and get a SSL/TLS cert from a CA such as godaddy.com.

Your question wasn't whether you /should/ ignore the event. You asked
if you /could/ ignore it. As with many things, ignoring them is okay
until they become an issue.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
11/29/2009 4:42:27 PM
"Rich Matheisen [MVP]"  wrote

> You can pretty easily create a
> self-signed certificate for the machine, or use your
> own CA to create
> certificates for this, and other, machines in
> your own forest.

Do you have a link to instructions on how to do the above for exchange 07?

Frank
11/30/2009 5:12:05 PM
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:12:05 -0000, "Frank" <noreply@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]"  wrote
>
>> You can pretty easily create a
>> self-signed certificate for the machine, or use your
>> own CA to create
>> certificates for this, and other, machines in
>> your own forest.
>
>Do you have a link to instructions on how to do the above for exchange 07?

The CA is a "Windows thing". You'll get better answers in the Windows
newsgroups.

Once you have your CA installed and operational you can use the
New-ExchangeCertificate cmdlet. DigiCert has a nice web page that'll
create the cmdlet for you:
https://www.digicert.com/easy-csr/exchange2007.htm

Technet and other web pages have lots of help, too:
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/02/19/435472.aspx
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
12/1/2009 2:42:36 AM
Thanks Rich

I'll follow those up

> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:12:05 -0000, "Frank" <noreply@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]"  wrote
>>
>>> You can pretty easily create a
>>> self-signed certificate for the machine, or use your
>>> own CA to create
>>> certificates for this, and other, machines in
>>> your own forest.
>>
>>Do you have a link to instructions on how to do the above for exchange 07?
>
> The CA is a "Windows thing". You'll get better answers in the Windows
> newsgroups.
>
> Once you have your CA installed and operational you can use the
> New-ExchangeCertificate cmdlet. DigiCert has a nice web page that'll
> create the cmdlet for you:
> https://www.digicert.com/easy-csr/exchange2007.htm
>

> Technet and other web pages have lots of help, too:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310781.aspx
> http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/02/19/435472.aspx
> ---
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

0
Frank

OnLoad event criteria
If have the code below in the OnLoad event which is working fine for the most part. The second line is causing a problem for cases where there is no matching record. The code is setting the value - I'd like to have it check the value first, and if it matches the value for the related field in the current form recordset, set the value, otherwise just open the form without setting the value. If CurrentProject.AllForms("AllOpen").IsLoaded Then Me.Combo1 = Forms!AllOpen!ID ' Find the record that matches the control. Dim rs As Object Set rs ...

Printing Private events/appts. on Calendars
A while ago I asked about how to stop Outlook printing private appointments or events in the calendars. Someone said to check "don't print private events" in the print screen which I did. Anyway, the calendar that gets printed, in the day that there is a private event it says "Private Event". How do I stop it from printing them altogether? I want it to appear on the calendar as nothing. ie. if there is only that event then the calendar should appear with no events for that day. Thanks ...

Error in Event Viewer event id 1023 pop3 connector, 1029, 1036, 10
Hello Exchange Administrators, I am getting these Error in Event Viewer "event id 1023 pop3 connector, 1029, 1036, 1015, 1019, 1015" on regular basis after every 15 min for every user. I need yours help to fix these errors. Also tell me why these error are logged in event viewer or cause of these errors We are using WIndoes 2003 SBS, Exchange Server 2003. Thanks you for yours help in advance. On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:11:01 -0700, Guri <Guri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello Exchange Administrators, > >I am getting these Error in Event Viewer "event id 1...

deleting events in calender
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I have inadvertently imported a weekly event into my calender. Each event seems to be logged as an individual event rather than a repeat event. I do not know how to delete it. Am trying, unsuccessfully, to show all events in one window so that I can easily select this irrelevant event, but cant display that window. Can you help me, either showing that elusive window, or how to otherwise delete MANY events. In article <59bb30c6.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>, <leaest@officeformac.com> w...

Unable to open attachments
A friend is running Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail, he said he is unable to open attachments, what should he check and what further info do you need to answer this question. Jerry 1: What is the filer extension of the attachments? 2: Can he open them if he saves them to the HDD first? -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP Outlook Express Imperial Beach, CA "Jerry" <user@mail.com> wrote in message news:#BUNYSfdKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > A friend is running Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail, he said he is unable > to open...

Catch click event button
Hi all, I was wondering... Is it possible to "catch" a click-event on a BuildIn Offie Button? In order to execute your own VBA-code? e.g. I want to be able to catch the "Undo" button in order to execute a piece of macro code in stead of just "Undoing" only the last action. Greetz, Bert -- Neron It is possible to catch ("intercept") most built-in Word commands, as described at http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/InterceptSavePrint.htm. In this case, the macro you need to write is named EditUndo, as in Public Sub E...

4117 Event ID Error
Starting 1-29-04 we started getting 4117 error messages just like those discussed in Micrisoft's Knowledge Base Article 190084. The only thing that arcticle suggests is to update to SP 4 which is already installed on the machine. I have never seen this message before and now we are getting one every few minutes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Sean Seems like you have something else going on then, check out the following articles and see if these help: 126497 XADM: Limiting the Number of Recipients of a Message http://support.microsoft.com/?id=126497 230250 XFOR: Internet ...

Unable to remove password in MS Word Document
In Word 2007, I assigned a password in order to open the doc and it works fine. However now I want to remove the password and have followed the instructions from the "Demo" in Microsoft to do this. I've also followed the steps provided in this forum's replies without success. Unfortunately, when it comes time to remove the assigned password, the 'box' is greyed-out and inaccessible. Also, on the "Review Tab" the "Protect Document" box is greyed-out and inaccessible. Any thoughts? Thanks I assume that the document was c...

Event
I have recorded a macro that I need to automatically run at 6:45am daily. How do I specify this in the code? Everything you need to know about OnTime procedures (but were afraid to ask): http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm You'll need to have excel running for this to work. ===== Some versions of windows have scheduler programs. (Or you can get a freeware/shareware version on the web (www.shareware.com is where I look first.) Then you could have that scheduling program start an excel workbook. If you name the macro Auto_Open, then it'll run when the workbook opens. (But ...

Event After the sale
Hi to all Is any way to bypass the event that after you complete the sale you get a window with the change in it, in order to go to the next sale you have either hit OK or enter because if you scan an item from that point it does not scan in and it appears to me that you can miss an item from been scanned in any way to fix this issue. Also if you have scan several items into the system and you go to del one item in the middle of the page RMS is loosing its focus and starts to scan into the next line down which deletes the items that have been scanned.I think it should go to the next ...

What event when I click the record selector
I have some labels on the form would like to populate its value (they are calculated values) when I select the record selector, next, previous or last or first. What event should I write the code into? On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:01:23 +1000, "Alan T" <alanpltseNOSPAM@yahoo.com.au> wrote: >I have some labels on the form would like to populate its value (they are >calculated values) when I select the record selector, next, previous or last >or first. > >What event should I write the code into? > Well, don't use Labels for this purpose; use textboxes ...

MS Support Plan
Does anyone know of a way to get the support plan without going through a partner? We are a former partner and use Dynamics ourselves. We don't use support from the partner MS assigned to us. Great Plains used to allow you to buy your support plans directly from them, then when MS bought them out that went away. It's silly to pay a mark up to a partner when all we need are the payroll updates and any upgrades released throughout the year. We don't even use MS for technical support since we are able to do it ourselves. Frankly, we don't even do the upgrades unt...

SMTP email directly to Pub Folders for 2003 server....
Hello, How do I change the default SMTP email delivery to public folders default to Ipm.note not IPM.post? I just migrated to exchange 2003 and I have several public folder that received outside email. Now when someone emails the folder it shows up as a post not an email. I have read several message here however most resplies reference KB articles. I have read articles 830961, 292484, 817809. I am confused by them. Example article 817809 says wait for the service pack. Well I installed SP1 and it's still the same. This article also says install a hotfix but then it mentions a r...

Recurring event
Is there a way to set a meeting date and have it recurring each month, but not on a certain week or certain date of each month. My meeting happens on a Thursday in each month but not every 2nd, 3rd or 4th Thursday. Some months it is the 3rd Thursday and some it is the 4th Thursday. ...

Events, dear boy, events #3
Aha I pasted: Application.EnableEvents = true into the immediate window and now the code is working. I don't have an code that would have turned it off in the first place, however. Coul this be a default setting somewhere, or is just one of those thing that can happen now and then? Anyway, thanks for the solution, Bo -- Gromi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Gromit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=92 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27721 Just a guess. If you turn...

About Office 2007
Our office bought 10 suites of Office 2007, and we installed them in colleagues' PCs. While unfortunately we cannot now recognize that which PC installed which suite respectively... Do you have any suggestion on how to match the package with the product ID(I know where to find the product ID)? Belarc Advisor or magic jellybean http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Amy Ding" <Amy Ding@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

incoming email from a domain ok except for one email address smtp;502 error command unimplemented
i have a strange problem with exchange server 2003 running on SBS 2003 premium edition. i can receive email from a certain domain, say anybody@xyz.com but i can't receive email from this particular email address, vending_broadcast@xyz.com, without them getting a rejected message for smtp;502 command unimplemented. any ideas? Thanks, Ross Is that a different smtp server than their normal one? Are they using extended smtp commands? Do you accept extended (ehlo) smtp commands? "ross" <rossvri@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142135045.551243.147860@u72g2000cwu.goo...

Id over multiple nodes
Is it possible to create an id over multiple nodes? I would like to use generate-id which includes all of the Route nodes which has a direction of 1. So I don't want to for-each each Route node and run generate-id on each on of them but bulk them all together and generate an id for the nodes <Routes> <Route> <City1>A</City1> <City2>B</City2> <DateTime1>10:00</DateTime1> <DateTime2>11:15</DateTime2> <Direction>1</Direction> </Route> <Route> <City...

Outlook unable to send until after reboot
One of our users occasionally (it has happened 3 times so far - in about 3 weeks) becomes unable to send mail in Outlook 2003. He's attached to an Exchange server (running on SBS 2003), but mail is sent and received from the client, not through exchange. It just happened - he sent messages earlier today, then suddenly the next message wouldn't send - and I was unable to send a test message from that PC - receive works fine, send returns an error that it timed out waiting on the server. My PC, not using his mail account but using the same SMTP server (different account (at) sa...

Posting events to the event viewer.
I've been using a particular method to post program events to the event viewer. It works, but there is an issue that is driving me crazy. Perhaps there is a better way or different way to accomplish what I am doing. 1) My events are listed in a file I call EventLog.mc. The events are in this file using a particular syntax. 2) Right after creating the file for the first time, or if I change the file, I run the event log compiler. by doing "mc.exe EventLog -d". This process creates a file called "EventLog.rc". 3) I directly edit my program's main .rc file. Nea...

reading win 7 event logs
Thanks in advance for your help. I have an app that reads my xp logs and posts them to a central database using WMI. I understand that has changed in win 7. Can anyone out there steer me in the right direction to read the win 7 logs? Thanks. hi Lance, On 06.05.2010 22:29, Lance McGonigal wrote: > I have an app that reads my xp logs and posts them to a central database > using WMI. > I understand that has changed in win 7. Can anyone out there steer me in > the right direction to read the win 7 logs? Not that I know. Neither WMI http://msdn.microsoft....

unable to apply credit memos in Receivables Management
We are unable to apply credit memos in Recievable Management BUT it only applies to 1 workstation and has to regard to who is logged into that workstations. Do you have any suggestions on how to identify what the problem is with the workstation? Pauline, It's probably just a security issue for the one user. Do you get an error? If so, what is the exact wording of it? Also, what version and service pack of Great Plains are you on? -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "Pauline" <Pauline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75C8020E-E1D7-451E-89EB-038A9B16DF3A@...

Unable to change the language.
When I try to change language in "Language for non-Unicode programs" I get message: Setup was unable to install the chosen locale. Please contact your system Administrator. I login as Administrator. What can I do to solve this apart from installing Windows? ...

Call Event from Subform
I've figured out how to execute a sub on a subform initiated on the form. [Forms]![Contacts]![ContactsAddresses].Form.btnSave_Click I can't for the life of me figure out how to do the opposite. To execute a sub on the form called from the subform. When I do a search it always talks about controls, not subroutines. Can someone please help! On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 17:50:01 -0800, PeterM <PeterM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Me.Parent.myPublicProcedure Note that the procedure must be public. Click events are Private by default, but you can simply...

Unable to recieve email from the outside.
I have just rebuilt my DNS derver from a crash. However, none of the users can recieve email from outside the company. Does anyone have any ideas? Charles Do you have your MX record created? Nue "chzabel" <chzabel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C66B36EB-3FE0-4763-8CAC-2CAD120B476C@microsoft.com... >I have just rebuilt my DNS derver from a crash. However, none of the users > can recieve email from outside the company. Does anyone have any ideas? > > Charles Go to DNSstuff.com and check for your MX record from the public side of the intrawe...