ESM and outlook

Can this reallt be true?

---------------
Microsoft says emphatically over and over that you cannot install
Outlook and any part of Exchange, even just ESM, on the same machine,
without "breaking Outlook or Exchange".
---------------

I want to be able to use Exchange System Manager on a machine which have
outlook installed.

I mean then goes the whole idea of administering almost everything from you
client machine.

Regards
Michael

I have Outlook 2003 plus exchange 2000 system manager working on windows
2000 pro SP4 with no problems.

Simon
"Michael" <michael@evander.dk> wrote in message
> Can this reallt be true?
>
> ---------------
> Microsoft says emphatically over and over that you cannot install
> Outlook and any part of Exchange, even just ESM, on the same machine,
> without "breaking Outlook or Exchange".
> ---------------
>
> I want to be able to use Exchange System Manager on a machine which have
> outlook installed.
>
> I mean then goes the whole idea of administering almost everything from
you
> client machine.
>
> Regards
> Michael

0
simon4908 (11)
2/13/2004 11:07:52 AM
MAPI is different between Outlook and Exchange.

XGEN: Microsoft Does Not Recommend Installing Exchange Server 5.5
ID: 313889

XCCC: Microsoft Does Not Recommend Installing Exchange 2000 Server
ID: 266418

This doesn't mean it was the cause of the problem you had.  However if it
works from the server then its likely a problem.  If you need that specfic
functionality you would need to use Remote Desktop.

--
Hope that helps,
Dan Townsend

"Michael" <michael@evander.dk> wrote in message
> Can this reallt be true?
>
> ---------------
> Microsoft says emphatically over and over that you cannot install
> Outlook and any part of Exchange, even just ESM, on the same machine,
> without "breaking Outlook or Exchange".
> ---------------
>
> I want to be able to use Exchange System Manager on a machine which have
> outlook installed.
>
> I mean then goes the whole idea of administering almost everything from
you
> client machine.
>
> Regards
> Michael

0
dtown (976)
2/13/2004 11:15:16 AM
Well just need to do all the functions available in the ESM, it fails when
im trying to set the "CLIENT PERMISSIONS" on a public folder via ESM.

Works fine when I do it from the server, but It must be the MAPI thing cause
im running outlook2003 on the client.

Not so smart, cause everyone wants to be able to do administrative things
from their client computer with all the admin tools and the outlook client
and so forth.....

:(

/Michael

"Dan Townsend [MSFT]" <dtown@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MAPI is different between Outlook and Exchange.
>
> XGEN: Microsoft Does Not Recommend Installing Exchange Server 5.5
> ID: 313889
>
> XCCC: Microsoft Does Not Recommend Installing Exchange 2000 Server
> ID: 266418
>
> This doesn't mean it was the cause of the problem you had.  However if it
> works from the server then its likely a problem.  If you need that specfic
> functionality you would need to use Remote Desktop.
>
> --
> Hope that helps,
> Dan Townsend

rights.
> Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup.

> "Michael" <michael@evander.dk> wrote in message
> > Can this reallt be true?
> >
> > ---------------
> > Microsoft says emphatically over and over that you cannot install
> > Outlook and any part of Exchange, even just ESM, on the same machine,
> > without "breaking Outlook or Exchange".
> > ---------------
> >
> > I want to be able to use Exchange System Manager on a machine which have
> > outlook installed.
> >
> > I mean then goes the whole idea of administering almost everything from
> you
> > client machine.
> >
> > Regards
> > Michael

Outlook Contact Conflict Message
Help- I recieved a conflict message with Outllok about a public contact. I checked the contact but it appears that nothing has been changed. I was just wondering if there is an outlook conflict log file that I could check, and if such a thing exists where might I find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

Attachments in outlook 2007
Outlook 2007 By oversight, I did something and suddenly some 100 mails got attached to a blank e-mail (157MB size) It seems they got moved to the attachment line. Now, I want to restore these mails back to the folder which they belonged. (I cannot copy/cut and paste as this is not allowed and may delete the mails) Please help! thanks t-raining You actually moved them? As in they don't longer exist in their original location? You can drag and drop the messages from the attachment line back into a folder. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft ...

c1030af3 Error in ESM
After upgrading to Exchange 2003 from Exchange 2000, I get the following error while selecting properties of Public Folders in ESM. "The HTTP Service used by Public Folders is not available, possible causes are that the Public stores are not mounted and the Information Store Service is not running." ID no: c1030af3 Exchange System Manager Is there a fix for this? Will SP1 for Ex 2003 resolve this issue? There's not much regarding this error. Thanks. Hi Peter, This issue can be caused by an incorrect local path value on your Exadmin virtual directory. Load IIS...

Hvordan overtager man en andens (pc og) aflagte outlook program?
Jeg har overtaget min mors pc. Hun har installeret office outlook 2003. Jeg har slettet hendes konto, men kan ikke finde ud af at oprette min egen. De skal bruge mange oplysninger : servertype, udgående servertype, indgående servertype, navn, e-mailadresse, brugernavn, adgangskode. Jeg ved ikke, hvad det er de forventer her. Jeg er næsten sikker på at serveren er pop3, men alt det andet gør mig forvirret: hvilken udgående og indgående server?? Hvilken adresse?? (Den jeg vil oprette eller den jeg har hos hotmail?) Adgangskode?? (igen: en ny eller...

Public Folders through ESM
I just replicated public folders from E2K to E2K3. A few folders that are on E2K I can go to ESM and access the folder properties with no problem. If I go to the same folder on the E2K3 server and try to view properties I get the following error. "The Object is no longer available. Press F5 to refresh the display, and then try again. ID no: 80040e19 Exchange System Manager" I have looked out on the knowledge base and most articles point to the default web site not on Port 80. I have checked this and it is configured for Port 80, All Unassigned IP, with the Host Header v...

Local Data in Outlook
Not sure if this is an issue that's been addressed before but... I have one user who cannot access the Local Data option in Outlook at all. When he attempts to open it, absolutely NOTHING happens. No dialogue box opens, no error pops up. Has anybody else experienced this? Any workaround/solution? Max Does the user have the "Sync To Outlook" privilege in his/her security role? (Go to Settings > Business Unit Settings > Security Roles and open the role assigned to the user. Click the Business Management tab to locate this privilege.) -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP ht...

Outlook #83
I have outlook express for emai, but recently got microsoft outlook. How do I receive email on Microsoft Outlook or change it to the default? ...

Reserving Conference Rooms using Outlook 2000 (in Windows XP)
When I invite several people for a meeting, I also reserve a conference room. Once a conference room is selected it appears in the Location field of the meeting invite in Outlook. In our company we have large number of conference rooms, many of which are frequently booked. Is it possible to write a macro such that it would search through the list of available conference rooms and find the one that is not already booked, for the time I need it? The conference rooms all start with the same prefix in the Outlook list of addresses. Thanks for any guidance/suggestions! Yes, it's possible...

BACK UP My Outlook
I am new to Outlook ( Not Outlook Express) I would like to know where I can find information on how to back up all the data I have stored now on Outlook. I have looked for information but have been unsuccessful. Can someone help me on this matter, Thanks BMG here's a good one: http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm "BMG" <BMG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CDF42FC4-7A1F-4841-BA3A-EDDD0BE3AD99@microsoft.com... >I am new to Outlook ( Not Outlook Express) I would like to know where I >can > find information on how to back up all...

Outlook 2003 - Exchange Server 2003
Hi there - I am running Outlook 2003 on an Exchange Server 2003. It seems that rules don't work. In the past, I've always had a rule created so that on any incoming message, where my name was in the TO:, the message would automatically forward to another internet e-mail address. I have it set up correctly but it doesn't seem to work. Has anyone heard anything like this happening? Thanks, David You will likely need to allow auto-forwards on Global Settings -> Internet Message Formats. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no ...

Having Outlook Start when the computer is turned on
I would like to know how to make Outlook start when the computer is turned on. Please let me know if this is possible. Thank you. Put the outlook application in the startup folder found on your start bar. You can load all applications in this folder automatically. Stag ...

Can't See Word Check Boxes in Outlook
I have a Word Document that I wish to send via the File->Send To->Mail Recipient once it is filled in. The document has questions that require the User to select a check box for the different selections (Excellent, Good, Poor, Very Poor). When I send the document, the check boxes show up in Outlook, however when the email arrives the check boxes are no longer there. Is there a way to have the check boxes show up in the email, or, are they somehow being stripped? ...

MS CRM Client for Outlook on Home Edition
I can install the CRM 3.0 Outlook clients on a Windows XP home edition? Lorenzo Soncini Trento - Italy Hi Lorenzo, Windows XP Home Edition is not a supported operating system for CRM Client. For supported configurations and details, please see the implementation guide: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ff067f8-4f77-40f0-ae9c-68ada7d4f16a&DisplayLang=en -- Best Regards, Eric Chen [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Lorenzo Soncini" <lorenzo.soncini@technoservice.com> wrote in message...

Outlook Dialog Box
I have several users having a dialog box pop up when they start to send a new e-mail It says "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "No" These people have the lates virus definitions. Any suggestions anyone? PJWORKER <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have several users having a dialog box pop up when they > start to send a new e-mail It says "A program is trying > to access e-mail addresses you have stored in ...

Importing mail from Outlook Express into Outlook
I am a self-employed professional working from home. I use Windows XP and Office XP which are installed in both a desktop and a laptop machine. I use the desktop as my main storage base, and take the desktop with me when I travel on my business. I use a network connection to move files between the two machines. I use Outlook Express for email and I have several very large email folders which are important data bases for my work. Moving email beweeen the machines is the most difficult bit. I decided recently to switch to Outlook instead, thinking it would make this easier. I star...

Saving Graphics in Outlook 2000
I belong to a graphics group and from time to time would like to save graphics that come in email. When I right click>save picture as> I get a ..bmp option to save and would prefer to save as either a jpg or a gif. If I manually type in .gif, I loose the animation. Is it possible to save a graphic in the format that it was inserted in the email? Thanks for the help. I have exactly the same problem with Outlook. AND deleting the "ofline content" does not work at all. Can anyone help on this one. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from htt...

Outlook Custom Views
Outlook 2007 I use custom views pretty heavily in Outlook, but I am relatively new to Outlook 2007 and so don't know some of the new features, or in some cases, how to do things in OL2007 that I did easily in OL2003. So I have a few questions: 1) I would like to create a current view that shows me all items that are marked as private. I thought that I would be able to do that on the Advanced tab in the properties, but I don't see a way to filter on the Private field. I would also like to create a view that shows me all the items in the Personal category that are NOT marked ...

groupwise/outlook differences
I have a client moving from Novell/Groupwise 7.0 to Exchange/Outlook 2007 and they are going to need end-user training. Anybody know of a reference for this? I'm looking for comparison references on the main setup with some more advanced functions as well. They will need to know about signatures, sharing calendars and other folders, setting up meetings, tasks, etc. I've searched all over google, but have been unable to find anything usable. Thanks for any help or suggestions. ...

ESM for Win7
Anyone got any ideas on how or where I can find the ESM for win7 Thanks In article <OKZO36yfKHA.4528@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, nalleyne@maxxam.lab says... > Anyone got any ideas on how or where I can find the ESM for win7 > Thanks You try the one that works for Vista? Yep and it says the program requires Microsoft Vista "tcv" <mwhalen@h0uts0ntc.net> wrote in message news:MPG.259429f528237095989680@msnews.microsoft.com... > In article <OKZO36yfKHA.4528@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, nalleyne@maxxam.lab > says... >> Anyone got any ideas ...

Outlook over VPN
Anyone get anywhere with this? I have the same problem. We just did a huge network move yesterday in which Company A migrated from an office- based network to a "work-at-home" solution. Their Exchange server is in our data center and they connect into it via Cisco vpn client. They can map shared drives (using IP address), they can access their C&P Accounting program that's on the server, and they can ping the ExchSrv. (OWA also works just fine and we tested 2-way email flow). But when they open up Outlook, it times out and says it can't connect to the exchange server. I&...

Outlook 2007 Search folders
Just started upgrading to Office 2007 Professional. Some users are complaining that their search folders need repopulated. Any ideas? What's the exact issue for them? They can create a Search Folder via File-> New Search Folder If the Search Folder is inactive, simply select it to reactivate it again. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Laurie" <Laurie@dis...

Availability of Outlook 98 upgrade
I am an Office 97 user from way back, and still use it on my primary home desktop. My wife and I have purchased a new laptop, and the Office 97 Professional license agreement allows use on your personal laptop. On my desktop, I upgraded to Outlook 98 when it came out, but did the download instead of the CD. I now wish to upgrade to Outlook 98 on our laptop but cannot do so. Outlook 97 obviously had a lot of shortcomings, and is really not very usable. Does anybody know where I can get an Outlook 98 upgrade CD. I have the downloaded installation files, but that goes to a site th...

Storage Limits not being accepted or showing up in ESM
I am running Exchange 2003 with Service Pack 2 applied. I have taken off storage limits for a particular user and it still does not show up in ESM. Hi Eric, How long have you waited? It can take a couple of hours to take. "Sabo, Eric" <sabo_e@cup.edu> wrote in message news:65742EA8-D7A6-4D0F-853D-2BA091CB9E4C@microsoft.com... >I am running Exchange 2003 with Service Pack 2 applied. I have taken off > storage limits for a particular user and it still does not show up in ESM. > > ...

outlook freezes when viewing in day,week, month mode
Hi, WHen I navigate to the calendar function Outlook 'locks up' and does not respond. Waiting for the activity to proccess does not work and i have to close it down and re-open. However, if I change to view to the list mode this doesn't occur. This seems to have started happening only after loading Business Contact Manager. I have reloaded both but still have the same problem. Can anyone help. On 3/8/2010 10:19 PM, GT Query wrote: > Hi, WHen I navigate to the calendar function Outlook 'locks up' and does not > respond. Waiting for the activity to p...

outlook 5 to outlook 6
There is no provision to import outlook 5 to 6 within the outlook 6 program.......... only 4 and 6. I need to see my past sent messages. It will not also inport the id files to the in box. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x "Tho B." <blacksax@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:0c4601...