ESEUTIL

I want to run defrag against the priv and pub.edb
databases and wanted to be sure the correct switches were
used. I am going to run a full backup of the server prior
to starting this. The Exchange database is on a different
drive then the application. I did copy the eseutil to the
same drive as the database(E drive). I want to defrag it
then used the new compacted database in place of the
current. Is this the correct syntax:

e:\exchsrvr\bin\eseutil /d e:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv.edb

I was a little unclear using the /t switch. is that only
used if you want to rename the temp.edb file created
during the defrag?

Thanks for the information.
0
drifter67 (1)

Hi Glen

The /t switch is only used if you need to redirect the temporary database to
another location.  Say your database is 10GB, a temp database in the exact
size of 10GB is created.  If you lacked disk space on your database drive,
you could use the /t switch to redirect this to another drive.

If because of lack local drive space, you need to redirect the temp database
to another drive on the same server use the syntax below. In this example, a
folder created for the temp database on the F drive is called Defrag the
syntax would be

Eseutil /d "c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb"
/tF:\defrag\tempdfrg.edb

But you have the syntax correct if you do not need to do the redirection.

Hope this helps

--
Melissa Travers, MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

"Glen" <drifter67@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to run defrag against the priv and pub.edb
> databases and wanted to be sure the correct switches were
> used. I am going to run a full backup of the server prior
> to starting this. The Exchange database is on a different
> drive then the application. I did copy the eseutil to the
> same drive as the database(E drive). I want to defrag it
> then used the new compacted database in place of the
> current. Is this the correct syntax:
>
> e:\exchsrvr\bin\eseutil /d e:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv.edb
>
> I was a little unclear using the /t switch. is that only
> used if you want to rename the temp.edb file created
> during the defrag?
>
> Thanks for the information.

0
mtravers (146)
12/3/2003 10:15:55 PM
i have 65GB priv1.edb file located on n:\edbdata. on n:\drive i have 100GB free diskspace.
i want to defrag the database and eseutil is located on d:\program files\exchsrvr\bin directory. d:\drive only have 7GB free disk space. i don't have enough disk space on d:\drive for any temp files.

when i run eseutil /tn:\tempdfrg.edb i also see some temp files is created in d:\TEMP4160.EDB and n:\tempdfrg.edb.
how can i redirect all the temp files to n:\drive instead some to d:\drive. ?

here is what i typed. is this correct syntex ?
D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\BIN>eseutil /d "n:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb" /tn:\te
mpdfrg.edb

0
anonymous (74718)
2/1/2004 4:31:07 AM
You can run Eseutil directly from N drive. You have enough disk space free
on N drive so you should be fine.

Follow this procedure. Go to N drive in command prompt and navigate to
Mdbdata folder and type the eseutil command in quotes like this:

N:\Exchsrvr\Mdbdata>  "d:\program files\exchsrvr\bin\eseutil"   /d
Priv1.edb

This should do it!

--
Mike Manjunath
Microsoft Corp.

"Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only."
rights."

"Jimmy Wang" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have 65GB priv1.edb file located on n:\edbdata. on n:\drive i have 100GB
free diskspace.
> i want to defrag the database and eseutil is located on d:\program
files\exchsrvr\bin directory. d:\drive only have 7GB free disk space. i
don't have enough disk space on d:\drive for any temp files.

> when i run eseutil /tn:\tempdfrg.edb i also see some temp files is created
in d:\TEMP4160.EDB and n:\tempdfrg.edb.
> how can i redirect all the temp files to n:\drive instead some to
d:\drive. ?

> here is what i typed. is this correct syntex ?
> D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\BIN>eseutil /d "n:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb"
/tn:\te
> mpdfrg.edb

0
mikeman (55)

ESEUTIL Usage Recomendation
Hi Everyone, I have a private store that was purge of around 40 gigs of messages. Obviously I'll like to shrink the db. Is eseutil the best way to do this? Following link will be usfull ESEUTIL Repairing Exchange databases with ESEUTIL - when and how? http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/06/18/159413.aspx In Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003 Eseutil in Repair/Integrity Mode Incorporates /X and /V Options http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232734 Use the Eseutil Utility to Detect File Header Damage in Exchange 2003 http://support.microsoft.c...

Eseutil and switches
Greetings, We have one E2K Standard server. DB is approaching 15GB and needs defragging. Eseutil resides on C:\ The DB resides on D:\ There is not enough space on C:\ for the temp file. What would be the exact syntax to defrag the DB and direct the temp file to D:\ ? My best guess at the command line would be: C:\>eseutil /d D:\DB.edb /t D:\TEMPDFRG.edb Thanks for the help Dan There should be no space after /t. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192185&Product=exch2k dan p wrote: > Greetings, > We have one E2K Standard server. DB is approaching 15GB a...

Running eseutil
Good Day, I ran the esetutil last night on my exchange 2003 server, it took over 13 hours to run because the temp file is being copied over the network to another system with enough hard drive space, my question is I had to stop the eseutil from finishing because users needed to get back on the server so when I restart the process does it start from where it left off? TIA Ray I don't think so. How big is your EDB? I personally would stop IS then copy the EDB to a server with good processors and memory and sufficient disk space. Copy the ESEUTIL plus necessary DLL's (there is...

eseutil /d #2
Hi, Can anyone provide me with a script which will automatically dismount an information store, defrag and then mount information store again. Our exchange are "crashing" almost once every 2 days for some reason and I have been told that running eseutil /D once a month maybe could help the problem. Thanks for any reply Kind rgds Peter Jensen On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:12:23 +0200, "Peter Jensen" <peter.topp@mail.dk> wrote: >Hi, > >Can anyone provide me with a script which will automatically dismount an >information store, defrag and then mount info...

ESEUTIL
I want to run defrag against the priv and pub.edb databases and wanted to be sure the correct switches were used. I am going to run a full backup of the server prior to starting this. The Exchange database is on a different drive then the application. I did copy the eseutil to the same drive as the database(E drive). I want to defrag it then used the new compacted database in place of the current. Is this the correct syntax: e:\exchsrvr\bin\eseutil /d e:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv.edb I was a little unclear using the /t switch. is that only used if you want to rename the temp.edb file cr...

eseutil /p
I'm using eseutil with the /p parameter in order to preserve a copy of the original database. I am also also using the /t parameter in order to direct the temp database to another server (cos ive not enough disk space in my original server). My question is, when the operation is over the new compacted database will be stored in the default filename of Exchsrvr\bin\tempdrfg.edb. will this be stored in location that ive specified using the /t parameter or will it store it back on the original exchange server (where ive not enough disk space) Also any ideas about how long it will ...

Isinteg and Eseutil
I want to do some maintanance on my private information stores, they average about 20 GB. This is Exchange 2003. Which tool do I wan to run first? I am assuming I want to run eseutil first. Then followed by isinteg. Does anyone have a approx time that it will take these two tools to run on a 20 GB store file. Hi Eric, "Sabo, Eric" <SaboEric@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C578771D-EB59-4DFC-9859-8F2F2942A91C@microsoft.com... >I want to do some maintanance on my private information stores, they >average > about 20 GB. This ...

Abnormal program termination while using "eseutil /d"
Hello, I tried to defrag our public folder server (Exchange 5.5, SP4; WINNT 4.0 SP6a) because of a big database (near 185 GB, available space on Disk = 203 GB) Because of the size I used a Remoteserver to store the temp defrag Database (Free Space on the remote Disk are 273GB). To run the defragmention I used the following command: --> eseutil /d /ispub /tg:\REMOTESERVER\Pub_defr.edb /p At about 90% of defragmentation (166GB) "eseutil" terminated and wrote the following information: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(TM) Server Database Utilities Version 5.5 Copyright (C) Microsoft Cor...

eseutil /?
What is the eseutil switch to restore only some of the log files and still be able to restore more of the logfiles later? I'm running Exchange 2000 SP3 with latest rollup eseutil /g -- this checks file integrety eseutil /cc -- this seems to restore all the log files and put the databases into a clean shutdown state ready for mounting eseutil /r -- not sure how this is different from eseutil /c eseutil /d -- this defragments the databases eseutil /p -- this repairs a database (usually causing data loss) thanks -tom is this an actual DR situation? what are you needing to do? if...

Eseutil problems
Hi there. Im having some trouble with eseutil . My exchange is down coz of inconsistent data but after i do an intergrity check and a repair , it start working. but i cannot open attachements. If i try to do a defrag , i get several error messages like , "Illegal duplicate" key for the first time and "bad signature for a log file " in the second attempt. somebody pls assist with some tips. Rgds You also need to run "isinteg -s <servername> -fix -test alltests Run that over and over until you get 0 errors, 0 fixes. The syntax is the same with 5.5 sans t...

After eseutil
Did run eseutil, all fine, spared 400 MB ?? well that is not such a help. Is there something more than eseutil to get the database smaller ? kind regards Eric that's means that's all the whitespace there was in your database...nothing else to do...what is the issue? what version Exchange? "Eric" <ebraakensiek@scbs.nl> wrote in message news:219edec6.0502280753.60b68d02@posting.google.com... > Did run eseutil, all fine, spared 400 MB ?? well that is not such a help. > Is there something more than eseutil to get the database smaller ? > > kind regards >...

Assistance with ESEUTIL ans ISINTEG on Exchange 5.5
Folks, I need to perform some maintenance on a exchange 5.5 server. My users are complaining about speed, etc... First, GOOD BACKUP! Second, Take down all MS Exchange services Third, I want to run "ISINTEG -s EXCHANGE -FIX" correct? This will hopefully fix ant integrity issues. I am told to run it over and over until it comes up clean.. Once the integrity check is clean... Fourth, I run these three: eseutil /d /ds eseutil /d /ispriv eseutil /d /ispub If all goes well... Finally, startup MS Exchange services.. This is my plan. Any suggesstions? Comments? 1) GOOD BA...

results of eseutil /p
eseutil completed ok. However, during it's operation, some error messages were appearing. Are these error messages normal? I ran eseutil using following command: C:\WINNT\system32>eseutil /p <d:\priv.edb_path> /td:\repair.edb /x Example of one of the error: ERROR: error -1603 at line 5006 of G:\ese97 \src\ese\repair.cxx Where does "G:\ese97\src..." is from? There is only c and d partion on the server. Why is there no free on c partition, shouldn't it be using d partition? Just trying to understand how eseutil works. Any help would be appreciated. Th...

using eseutil
Defraging exchange 2000 servers. Is it a Microsoft Best Practice to reboot server, or when eseutil defrag and isinteg is complete, just mount the database and you're fine? Does MS publish kb article that states reboot is best practice? Please let me know. thx -bkw You don't need to reboot. However, the bigger question is why are you are running eseutil and isinteg? Day to day operations should not really require the use of these tools. Nue "bkw" <bkw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08AFE573-7B24-4CF5-BADE-06C7EC4E98D2@microsoft.com... > Defra...

Eseutil /Y
Do the exchange services need to be stopped in order to use the eseuitl /Y? If on a dismounted store (an old recovery storage group that I am using) it tells me that is cannot access the file because it is in use by another process. Thanks Databases must be dismounted, or IS down, when running any eseutil...depends on version of Exchange...but I've never heard of the /y switch...what are you attempting to do? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCE40A84-C6EB-460B-9139-CA585C7E1FE7@microsoft.com... > Do the ex...

eseutil problem #2
I ran eseutil to defrag one of the databases on exchange 2000 server but it kept returning out of diskspace error. I've used /t switch to point the temp defrag file to a disk where it has ample amount of disk space and the freespace on the database drive is at least 110% the size of the database. I noticed that the c drive was filling up with a temp edb file eventhough I specifically told eseutil to put the temp edb some place else. Please help. Works fine here. Can we see full unedited command line? A Lee wrote: > I ran eseutil to defrag one of the databases on exchange 2000 ser...

File locked error when running eseutil
Small client - two people sharing a calendar. They had a power outage and the Information Store is corrupted. No backup. Unable to mount the Information Store databases. Trying to use eseutil to recover from a "dirty shutdown". When using the eseutil command with /r I get a 1032 "file locked" error. I have tried going into services and stopping all Microsoft Exchange services and I still get the error. Even tried using MSConfig to turn off all services and rebooted, but still getting the 1032 error. No antivirus software installed. How do I get the log files a...

Problems running eseutil
When I run eseutil /ml E00 it tells me "no damaged log files were found" when I run eseutil /ml E00.log it tells me it cant open log file what command do I believe My real problem is I cant mount the store. When you try to mount the store, are you seeing any error messages? How about in the event viewer's Application log? -- Jim McBee Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com Free eBook: http://nexus.realtimepublishers.com/ttgsm.htm "PP" <pp@pp.com> wrote in message news:O$cL$dsVGHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > When I run eseutil /ml E00 it tell...

Questions about ESEUTIL
I have recently inmplemented mailbox limits and forced my users to start cleaning up their mailboxes and archiving mail from my Exchange 2000 server. My 100GB Information Store (that's the total size of the EDB and STM files) has now shrunk to 50GB of actual data and likely contains 50GB of blank pages. I do weekly online defrags that show that each database has lots of free space. I will never again be allowing users to freely use all the mailbox space they wish, so the actual amount of data will stay around 50GB and the free space in the IS will never get realocated. I believe a...

Eseutil versions
Hi; Using ESEUTIL.EXE from an exchange 5.5 server the priv.edb repair would hang at about 40% doing 'eseutil /p ' . Using ESEUTIL.EXE from exchange 2k the repair completes. Question: Will repairs to databases using the exchange 2k ESEUTIL and ISINTEG work when I try to mount them onto Exchange 5.5. Thanks. Doug Sanders I doubt very much that you will get a 2000 repaired DB to mount again in 55. I think there are some page upgrades that ocurr. If you can get the repair to work in the 2000 environment then you could extract the data to pst and then just do a dialtone scenario ...

eseutil utility
When using the eseutil utility on a server 2003 exchange 2003 server, when you use the dismount store and then from a command prompt type in the command will the defrag automatically start working and will it shrink the priv.edb file as well as the priv.stm file? Thanks I just did this the other week. When you type the command in the command prompt for defrag, it will start. My .stm file did not shrink. But, my .edb file shrunk from 2.9gb to 2.3 gb. I'm not an expert though, so maybe there is a way to shrink the .stm file. "Mark" wrote: > When using th...

trying to run eseutil
I have a event error Source: ese Category: Database Corruption Event ID: 467 Information Store (4780) First Storage Group: Database c:\program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub1.edb: Indes FoldersIndex6 of table Folders is corrupted (0). I was informed to run eseutil /g first but unable to get the program to run. I entered "eseutil /g c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub1.edb" and get a error that needs options set. So I enter "eseutil /g c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub1.edb /t" and still the program does not run. What am I doing wrong. -- Thanks Duane On Mon, 7 ...

ESEUTIL Advice
I have been searching for clarification on using ESEUTIL and I am hoping someone may have heard the answer. I am planning on running the offline maintenance soon on my Exchange environment. We have about a 320GB Store on a cluster ( its actually 3 different stores, thats just the total) and I expect to get about 60GB of space back after the defrag - It has never been run in this environment before (2 years running/and yes, I inherited the network this way) The powers that be have wanted the option to STOP the utility during the defrag if the users need access to their mailboxes agai...

ESEUTIL Throughput
I realize mileage may vary depending on storage type and server/RAM specifications, but in general, what type of throughput (in GB per hour or per minute) should I see when running and ESEUTIL with the /k switch to check the consistency of a database? The bottleneck here is first storage throughput and second cpu. On direct-attached storage (scsi) it could be around 6Gb/hour..... but your mileage may vary depending on spindles in your storage/scsi platform. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Doug C." <Doug C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

how much room for eseutil /d and isinteg doesn't run
IS won't start and I tried to run eseutil /d (after a /p) and I ran out of room on the drive. First question is did I hurt anything? and second how much room do I need? priv.edb is 3.5g Can I just delete the 1.5gb file that was created and try again? Third question: I tried running Isinteg and it keeps sending me back to the prompt like I had not typed the complete command. I typed "isinteg -pri" . I had to do this from the \BIN directory, can I assume that exchange knows where to look (mdbdata) for the store? I have the exchsrvr directory on the F drive. Win2k running ex5.5. ...