Eseutil Worries on Exchange 2000

Hi everyone,

I am currently testing an offline defrag of my biggest stores as they have
grown well out of shape. Out of 25 stores ranging from 2 to 25Gb in size, I
tried the eseutil -d succesfully on more than half. Problem is that on two
of them the defrag took only 60-120 secs and it returned a 5Mb .edb and a
6Mb .stm while all mailboxes have disappeared. The command, switch and
spelling is the same as in all the others.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I can afford this to happen in an
offline test lab but not in the live production E2k boxes.

Any help will be appreciated.

Johnny

0
jm5860 (15)

Did you correctly build  a recovery forest in your offline environment?  It
does not really sound like the case.  The disaster recovery whitepaper has
information you can use to achieve this.

Try:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/support/dbrecovr.mspx

--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

"Johnny Noitargim" <jm@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am currently testing an offline defrag of my biggest stores as they have
> grown well out of shape. Out of 25 stores ranging from 2 to 25Gb in size,
> tried the eseutil -d succesfully on more than half. Problem is that on two
> of them the defrag took only 60-120 secs and it returned a 5Mb .edb and a
> 6Mb .stm while all mailboxes have disappeared. The command, switch and
> spelling is the same as in all the others.
>
> Has anyone else had a similar experience? I can afford this to happen in
> an
> offline test lab but not in the live production E2k boxes.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Johnny

0
nospam6185 (535)
9/14/2004 3:06:42 AM
Hi Michael,

yes I did. Why else would all the other defrags work?

"Michael Abbaticchio[MVP]" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
> Did you correctly build  a recovery forest in your offline environment?
It
> does not really sound like the case.  The disaster recovery whitepaper has
> information you can use to achieve this.
>
> Try:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/support/dbrecovr.mspx

> --
>
> regards,
> Michael Abbaticchio
> MVP for Exchange Server
> http://exchange.mvps.org
>

> "Johnny Noitargim" <jm@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am currently testing an offline defrag of my biggest stores as they
have
> > grown well out of shape. Out of 25 stores ranging from 2 to 25Gb in
size,
> > tried the eseutil -d succesfully on more than half. Problem is that on
two
> > of them the defrag took only 60-120 secs and it returned a 5Mb .edb and
> > 6Mb .stm while all mailboxes have disappeared. The command, switch and
> > spelling is the same as in all the others.
> >
> > Has anyone else had a similar experience? I can afford this to happen in
> > an
> > offline test lab but not in the live production E2k boxes.
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > Johnny

0
jm5860 (15)
9/14/2004 5:53:52 AM
You are correct.  I missed the statement you made about the others working.
The offline defrag process normally rebuilds new db diles from whatever good
data it could export from the original db, and then at the end there is a
write over procedure.

Perhaps those few databases were damaged in transit.  I would hate to think
they were already damaged in production, but you need to verify this.  What
I would do is re-restore and try to repeat, but before running each defrag,
run eseutil in integrity check mode.  What you describe is consistant with
eseutil /d creating an enpty file.

What method did you use to transfr the db files to your recovery
environment?

--

> Hi Michael,
>
> yes I did. Why else would all the other defrags work?

> "Michael Abbaticchio[MVP]" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
>> Did you correctly build  a recovery forest in your offline environment?
> It
>> does not really sound like the case.  The disaster recovery whitepaper
>> has
>> information you can use to achieve this.
>>
>> Try:
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/support/dbrecovr.mspx
>>
>> --
>>
>> regards,
>> Michael Abbaticchio
>> MVP for Exchange Server
>> http://exchange.mvps.org
>>

>> "Johnny Noitargim" <jm@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > I am currently testing an offline defrag of my biggest stores as they
> have
>> > grown well out of shape. Out of 25 stores ranging from 2 to 25Gb in
> size,
>> > tried the eseutil -d succesfully on more than half. Problem is that on
> two
>> > of them the defrag took only 60-120 secs and it returned a 5Mb .edb and
>> > 6Mb .stm while all mailboxes have disappeared. The command, switch and
>> > spelling is the same as in all the others.
>> >
>> > Has anyone else had a similar experience? I can afford this to happen
>> > in
>> > an
>> > offline test lab but not in the live production E2k boxes.
>> >
>> > Any help will be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Johnny

0
nospam6185 (535)
9/14/2004 11:01:24 AM
Hi Michael,

the restore method was using Arcserve as I have done numerous times in the
past.
Proof that this works is the fact the rest of the stores defraged ok.

J.

> You are correct.  I missed the statement you made about the others
working.
> The offline defrag process normally rebuilds new db diles from whatever
good
> data it could export from the original db, and then at the end there is a
> write over procedure.
>
> Perhaps those few databases were damaged in transit.  I would hate to
think
> they were already damaged in production, but you need to verify this.
What
> I would do is re-restore and try to repeat, but before running each
defrag,
> run eseutil in integrity check mode.  What you describe is consistant with
> eseutil /d creating an enpty file.
>
> What method did you use to transfr the db files to your recovery
> environment?
>
> --
>
> regards,
> Michael Abbaticchio
> MVP for Exchange Server
> http://exchange.mvps.org
>

> "Johnny Noitargim" <jm@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > yes I did. Why else would all the other defrags work?

> > "Michael Abbaticchio[MVP]" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
> >> Did you correctly build  a recovery forest in your offline environment?
> > It
> >> does not really sound like the case.  The disaster recovery whitepaper
> >> has
> >> information you can use to achieve this.
> >>
> >> Try:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/support/dbrecovr.mspx

> >> --
> >>
> >> regards,
> >> Michael Abbaticchio
> >> MVP for Exchange Server
> >> http://exchange.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Johnny Noitargim" <jm@nospamplease.com> wrote in message

> > have
> > size,
> > two

0
jm5860 (15)
9/14/2004 5:56:49 PM
I think that the fact that one of your restored db's is failing to defrag is
reasonable proof that your restore failed.  Not necessarily your methods.
Just the operation.  My recommendation stands at repeating the restore.  If
it is repeatable, then you should consider looking at your productions db's.
Maybe consider evacuating the offending stores of all users.
--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

> Hi Michael,
>
> the restore method was using Arcserve as I have done numerous times in the
> past.
> Proof that this works is the fact the rest of the stores defraged ok.
>
> J.
>

> "Michael Abbaticchio[MVP]" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
> > You are correct.  I missed the statement you made about the others
> working.
> > The offline defrag process normally rebuilds new db diles from whatever
> good
> > data it could export from the original db, and then at the end there is
> > write over procedure.
> >
> > Perhaps those few databases were damaged in transit.  I would hate to
> think
> > they were already damaged in production, but you need to verify this.
> What
> > I would do is re-restore and try to repeat, but before running each
> defrag,
> > run eseutil in integrity check mode.  What you describe is consistant
with
> > eseutil /d creating an enpty file.
> >
> > What method did you use to transfr the db files to your recovery
> > environment?
> >
> > --
> >
> > regards,
> > Michael Abbaticchio
> > MVP for Exchange Server
> > http://exchange.mvps.org
> >

> > "Johnny Noitargim" <jm@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Michael,
> > >
> > > yes I did. Why else would all the other defrags work?

> > > "Michael Abbaticchio[MVP]" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
> > > It

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/support/dbrecovr.mspx

> > > have
> > > size,
> on
> > > two
> and
> and

0
nospam6185 (535)

Searching attachment text in Outlook 2000
Dear All, Here's a ponderer that I wonder if anyone knows the answer to. I'm running an MS Exchange 2000 email system with the Outlook 2000 client. In short, I have been asked by someone if it is possible to search for a certain word or phrase 'across the board' in emails. By that, I mean search every parameter available, within the same search, for that one word or phrase. This would include all fields within the email *including* searching for the word/phrase in any email attachments, like MS Word/Excel. So for instance, someone with a huge email account has received an em...

Unistall Exchange
Hi, i need to unistall Exchange as i badly corrupted the priv1.edb and .stm files, and have completely lost the pub1.edb and.stm files too.. I cant create new stores, i cant shift the users from the stores that are in use (not mounted or mountable) i cant uninstall becasue of user attached to the stores either.. I have back .pst files, so i just want to flatten Exchange and start again.. some point me in the right direction of a step-by-step, or any suggestions for 'ripping it out' Simon On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:35:06 -0700, "Simon Roberts" <SimonRoberts@discuss...

Money 2000 invalid page fault
I am having a recurring issue in Money 2000 Deluxe. Every time that I go to enter a loan payment for any loan, or click on the 'Bills' link, the program shuts down and I get an error message reading: MSMONEY caused an invalid page fault in module MNYOB99.DLL at 0167:106bcd31 I can start the program back up and it accepted the loan payment but is very annoying having to go through this all the time. Anyone have any idea what my problem is? Thanks. Try it in a new file and if the same thing happens, remove Money and reinstall to a new folder. However, this does sound like it...

exchange 2003 X400 connector to exchange 5.5?
We currently have 2 different organizations/different domains and .coms - one is 2003 and one is still 5.5. For DR purposes, I need to know if I can set up a 2003 SMTP server and create x400 connectors to my 5.5 org and sites and vice versa just for mail routing in case my bridgeheads go down. My feeling is, I'll have to set up 2 servers: exchange 2003 (to talk to our folks that have already migrated) and exchange 5.5 for the rest of the folks. Has anyone had to do this - am I off base or is there some white paper that may discuss this. Let me know if I did not give enough i...

Disaster Recovery in Exchange 2003
I am planning to do a Disaster Recovery exercise for exchange 2003. We only have 1 exchange server 2003. I am planning on what to do if our exchange server is damamged. I have read some articles on what to do such as if our existing exchange server was damaged, we would use another standby server and install the same OS with exactly the same service packs and hot fixes. Give the server the same name and IP address. Then install the exchange server with the disaster recover switch. After that restore from backup the mailboxes and public folders. My question regarding this is the sys...

Proper Security Settings on Exchange Install Folder?
I am trying to nail down the security of our Exchange 2003 servers before we start a mass migration off 5.5. One issue I am dealing with is securing the Exchange install directory, in my case c:\program files\exchsrvr I have a Microsoft Press Book "Secure Messaging with MS Exchange Server 2003" that talks about doing this on page 144, but the details aren't as clear as I would like them. For example, they say to remove the everyone inheritance. I don't have that. (thats not my question - but right away I'm seeing the book completely different from what I have) Th...

I want to allow forwarding through the exchange server
Here is my problem I have a user that has signed up with a new webinar company. What they do is when you are online with them is you enter the e-mail addresses of the receipients and then send an invite. They send the email to the recipioents from there exchange server and it shows from XXX.com they also send a reply to as the originators e-mail address ourdomian.com. What happens is the originator of the message will receive an NDR for all emails that were sent to ourdomain.com that says the return to is spoofed. How can I allow this in the exchange server and still be safe. By th...

Exchange and IMAP
Hi; Is there any way I can run both the exchange and IMAP to send/recive email before I cut over to exchange? I like to run both in parellel for about five days. I am running exchange 2003. Please let me know. Thank you, ...

fipartnr.ini
We were unable to obtain online statements from our brokerage firm (Scottrade), and clicking on the "update internet information" link didn't solve the problem. So, we contacted our brokerage firm and they sent us a new fipartnr.ini for Money 2003 & 2004. (We have Money 2000). I renamed the old file, copied the new file into the same directory, then opened Money. Our version of Microsoft Money 2000 seems unable to read this new file, since it no longer gives me a suggestion for _any_ financial institution when I attempt to add a new account. This makes me wonder, did the...

Dual Message delivery between Exchange on-premises and Exchange on
Hi, Can we do a dual delivery of messages on both Exchange on-premise and online? If so can you please share the process or links. Regards -- Vivin On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 05:54:04 -0800, Vivin George <VivinGeorge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, >Can we do a dual delivery of messages on both Exchange on-premise and >online? If so can you please share the process or links. > >Regards No because the message is delivered to a single mailbox. And that's about as far as I am allowed to say right now. Thanks Mark. Just to clarify I am looking to...

Outlook 2000 address book #3
Hello, I got a virus that screwed up my whole operating system including Office. How can save a copy of my address book given that I can't use MS Office anymore. Thanks, - Wajih There is no address book. All Outlook data is in one file. The file you need to back up is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Wajih" <w.elsallal@ieee.org> wrote in message news:178b01c3fbdb$2b243a...

increase exchange drive space
Hardware RAID 5 Software Win 2000 SP4 Exch 2000 SP3 Exchange, Store and Log files are on a D drive partition. The capacity of D drive is getting close to full. Even offline defrags using eseutil do not help much. After reconfiguration of server, I have some unused space. Question is how to make that space D drive. Two options: 1. Make disk dynamic and add or join the spare space. 2. Stop IIS and Exchange services, backup D, delete partition, create new bigger partition as D, restore and start services. Any comments if one or other method is better or other method recommendations? Che...

Automating Exchange Mailbox Export
Hello, We need to automate the procedure of exporting a users (inbox, sent, deleted items) mailbox file on a weekly basis. We are running an exchange server with Outlook 2003 as the clients. I'd prefer to export as a .csv file if possible. Thanks in advance. The import/export wizard is not exposed to developers and requires programming your own export routine. If this is something your not comfortable with, you might want to take a peek at http://www.slipstick.com/addins/housekeeping.htm to see if you can find something that can be automated. "Dan L" <dan@cytex.net> ...

Exchange mit mehreren virtuellen Mails?
hallo miteinander, kann mir jemand die frage beantworten, wie ich bei meinem exchange 2003 server einstellen kann, dass er mehrerere email-adressen (z.b. xxx@yyy.de und aaa@zzz.de) annimmt. Danke Christoph I think you're looking for this: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html BTW, this is an English NG. The German one is microsoft.public.de.exchange -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "gooseman" <chrismess@gmx.net> wrote in message news:ffb46bd0.0408040149.1b094a1@posting.google.com... >...

Calender Problem after Exchange Migration
Hi all, I've got a bit of a Exch Calendar problem. We recently migrated from Exch2000 Srv to Exch2003 Srv. We also changed domain names (AD and company) as well. Due to time constraints and other issues I won't go into, things were a little rushed and the way we did the migration was probably not by the MS rules. Basically we restored a backup of the mailboxes from the old Exch2000 server to the new Exch2003 server. This was done via Qinetix MB idata agent. We thought this would be quicker than exporting the mailbox's out as PST files and then importing them. This part app...

Outlook 2002 "exchange server not available"
Hi, when i try to connect to my mailbox, with my outlook 2002 on a exchange 5.5 server. I get the message "Microsoft exchange server is not available" when i try to open outlook. The funny part is that i can open my mailbox on the terminalservice. I have tried to repair windows, reinstall office and reconfigure my mail settings, none of them worked. plz. help me! Regards Torben ...

"e-mail forward" Rule wizard Outlook 2000
Hi, I have set one of our client PCs to forward all arriving mail to another outsider e-mail address, using "Rules wizard" of Outlook 2000. However, I discovered the following problem, i) Mail from outsider can be forwarded perfectly, with "From" name intact ii) However, mail from the same domain, the "From" name changed, just like manual forward, "From" field changed to current user Could the mail from the same domain behave like mail from outsider? What I need is the "From" field intact under all circumstances, not to be modified, cou...

ESEUTIL Usage Recomendation
Hi Everyone, I have a private store that was purge of around 40 gigs of messages. Obviously I'll like to shrink the db. Is eseutil the best way to do this? Following link will be usfull ESEUTIL Repairing Exchange databases with ESEUTIL - when and how? http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/06/18/159413.aspx In Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003 Eseutil in Repair/Integrity Mode Incorporates /X and /V Options http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232734 Use the Eseutil Utility to Detect File Header Damage in Exchange 2003 http://support.microsoft.c...

Reinstalling exchange server
Due to a hardware failure I had to set up a new Exchange 2003 server on a new server. I removed the server in AD Sites & Services and it installed ok. Now when I go to set up a new user in AD I no longer get the option to create an Exchange mailbox as I did before. I know the server is working as I tested it out with the Admin account and it worked fine and it also can read from the Global Catalog but when I go to send any emails to the users I get the message below. "A configuration error in email system caused message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two ...

Eseutil and switches
Greetings, We have one E2K Standard server. DB is approaching 15GB and needs defragging. Eseutil resides on C:\ The DB resides on D:\ There is not enough space on C:\ for the temp file. What would be the exact syntax to defrag the DB and direct the temp file to D:\ ? My best guess at the command line would be: C:\>eseutil /d D:\DB.edb /t D:\TEMPDFRG.edb Thanks for the help Dan There should be no space after /t. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192185&Product=exch2k dan p wrote: > Greetings, > We have one E2K Standard server. DB is approaching 15GB a...

Problem with search settings in Outlook 2000
Can anybody help me to resolve a seemingly simply OUTLOOK 2000 problem (Build SP-3, 9.0.0.6627)? It concerns the "search" function: where can I set the fields I want to search in? My problem is that in my "Sent Objects" folder, it searches in "To", "CC" and "Subject", which is fine; however in the "Sent Objects" folder in my outlook archive it searches in "From" and "Subject". Searching in "From" in a "Sent Objects" folder doesn't make much sense (I sent those mails!). I want ...

Running eseutil
Good Day, I ran the esetutil last night on my exchange 2003 server, it took over 13 hours to run because the temp file is being copied over the network to another system with enough hard drive space, my question is I had to stop the eseutil from finishing because users needed to get back on the server so when I restart the process does it start from where it left off? TIA Ray I don't think so. How big is your EDB? I personally would stop IS then copy the EDB to a server with good processors and memory and sufficient disk space. Copy the ESEUTIL plus necessary DLL's (there is...

Exchange 2003 hardware
I'm planning hardware for several Exchange 2003 servers. What hard drive configuration is recommended for a server that serves less than 100 people? Could I get by with 2 mirrored IDE drives, or would performance be bad? Personally, I'd go with SCSI and hardware RAID....I don't like skimping on server hardware. Albert Spencer wrote: > I'm planning hardware for several Exchange 2003 servers. What hard > drive configuration is recommended for a server that serves less than > 100 people? Could I get by with 2 mirrored IDE drives, or would > performance be bad? ...

Calendar rights in Exchange 2000
Hi. I want to be able to allow all users to se items (Subject) in all calendars, but not to see the hole entry. (Text, attachments etc etc.) Is this possible, and does anyone know the trick ?? /regards Bjorn Kristensen I don't think this is possible - and anyway, permissions to specific folders have to be set in Outlook, not on the Exchange server itself. Bamse wrote: > Hi. > > I want to be able to allow all users to se items (Subject) in all > calendars, but not to see the hole entry. (Text, attachments etc etc.) > > Is this possible, and does anyone know the tri...

Local Exchange users not receiving mail #2
Outlook IS our email client, SMTP is the protocol, Outlook is in the Corp/Workgroup mode, MS Exchange Server Service was installed on the Outlook client through Tools|Services|Add. The Outlook client found the Exchange Server and underlined the aliases without incident. Internal email is pretty much like a message service within the domain. It is not Internet based. It does not use IIS. Yeah, how _do_ you know if you're sending? Can people send to themselves? Just a wild guess, but maybe you need to tweak your RUP to correct the SMTP addresses due to some DNS thing. What abou...