ESEUTIL 6.5 on a 5.5 database: disaster

Trying to repair a partially corrupt Exchange 5.5 database, I ran ESEUTIL
from Exchange 2003 (6.5) on it. It analyzed and repaired the db, but now it
can't be mounted anymore, due to version mismatch.

Ok, I know I shouldn't have done this, but why is nowhere stated that using
a newer ESEUTIL is going to make your database unusable?!? The utility
itself didn't say a word about this issue.

Any way to recover?

Massimo

P.S.
I have a copy of the original database, so it's not a big problem. But I'm
quite concerned by the behaviour of ESEUTIL.

0
barone (90)

In news:%23yxd0hzWGHA.4580@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Massimo <barone@mclink.it> typed:
> Trying to repair a partially corrupt Exchange 5.5 database, I ran
> ESEUTIL from Exchange 2003 (6.5) on it. It analyzed and repaired the
> db, but now it can't be mounted anymore, due to version mismatch.
>
> Ok, I know I shouldn't have done this, but why is nowhere stated that
> using a newer ESEUTIL is going to make your database unusable?!? The
> utility itself didn't say a word about this issue.
>
> Any way to recover?
>

> Massimo
>
> P.S.
> I have a copy of the original database, so it's not a big problem.
> But I'm quite concerned by the behaviour of ESEUTIL.

This isn't all that easy to find in a google search, but see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262196 :

"Do not use a mismatched version of Eseutil in a mode that causes changes to
the database. These modes include, but are not limited to, use of the /r,
/p, and /d command-line switches. The only mode that is definitely safe is
the /m mode, which dumps various types of information but does not alter the
database.....Be absolutely certain that you know which version of Eseutil
you are running at all times. If you run Eseutil with no switches, the
version information is displayed on screen, and no database operations are
performed."

0
lanwench (7567)
4/8/2006 6:34:30 PM
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 14:34:30 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

>In news:%23yxd0hzWGHA.4580@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
>Massimo <barone@mclink.it> typed:
>> Trying to repair a partially corrupt Exchange 5.5 database, I ran
>> ESEUTIL from Exchange 2003 (6.5) on it. It analyzed and repaired the
>> db, but now it can't be mounted anymore, due to version mismatch.
>>
>> Ok, I know I shouldn't have done this, but why is nowhere stated that
>> using a newer ESEUTIL is going to make your database unusable?!? The
>> utility itself didn't say a word about this issue.
>>
>> Any way to recover?
>>

>> Massimo
>>
>> P.S.
>> I have a copy of the original database, so it's not a big problem.
>> But I'm quite concerned by the behaviour of ESEUTIL.
>
>This isn't all that easy to find in a google search, but see
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262196 :
>
>"Do not use a mismatched version of Eseutil in a mode that causes changes to
>the database. These modes include, but are not limited to, use of the /r,
>/p, and /d command-line switches. The only mode that is definitely safe is
>the /m mode, which dumps various types of information but does not alter the
>database.....Be absolutely certain that you know which version of Eseutil
>you are running at all times. If you run Eseutil with no switches, the
>version information is displayed on screen, and no database operations are
>performed."

and to add. Repairing a database should be a last resort option when
you do not have any good backups to restore.
0
adavid (8731)
4/8/2006 6:42:50 PM
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:%23wPvXszWGHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

> This isn't all that easy to find in a google search, but see
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262196 :
>
> "Do not use a mismatched version of Eseutil in a mode that causes changes
> to the database. These modes include, but are not limited to, use of the
> /r, /p, and /d command-line switches. The only mode that is definitely
> safe is the /m mode, which dumps various types of information but does not
> alter the database.....Be absolutely certain that you know which version
> of Eseutil you are running at all times. If you run Eseutil with no
> switches, the version information is displayed on screen, and no database
> operations are performed."

Well, it's an article called "XADM: How to Determine Which Mailbox Owns a
Particular Page in a Database"... oh, yes, that's definitely the place I'd
go looking in if I was in need of knowing which version of ESEUTIL can be
used ;-)

Massimo

0
barone (90)
4/8/2006 6:54:39 PM
"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:is0g32lf2tabesg0si571jtehesmargjtb@4ax.com...

> and to add. Repairing a database should be a last resort option when
> you do not have any good backups to restore.

Exactly the situation I'm in (see my previous post) :-/

Massimo

0
barone (90)
4/8/2006 6:55:14 PM

In news:%23lTGh3zWGHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
Massimo <barone@mclink.it> typed:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> ha
> scritto nel messaggio news:%23wPvXszWGHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
>> This isn't all that easy to find in a google search, but see
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262196 :
>>
>> "Do not use a mismatched version of Eseutil in a mode that causes
>> changes to the database. These modes include, but are not limited
>> to, use of the /r, /p, and /d command-line switches. The only mode
>> that is definitely safe is the /m mode, which dumps various types of
>> information but does not alter the database.....Be absolutely
>> certain that you know which version of Eseutil you are running at
>> all times. If you run Eseutil with no switches, the version
>> information is displayed on screen, and no database operations are
>> performed."
>
> Well, it's an article called "XADM: How to Determine Which Mailbox
> Owns a Particular Page in a Database"... oh, yes, that's definitely
> the place I'd go looking in if I was in need of knowing which version
> of ESEUTIL can be used ;-)

Exactly - that's why I said that it wasn't the easiest thing to find when I
googled. :)

It'd be nice if eseutil 6.5 either warned you when you tried to run it
against a 5x database using those switches, or prevented you from running it
outright, but alas, it don't. As you said, you have backups, so this isn't
an insurmountable problem, and you now know not to try this again!

> Massimo

0
lanwench (7567)
4/8/2006 7:24:17 PM
messaggio news:uVuKTU0WGHA.4452@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> It'd be nice if eseutil 6.5 either warned you when you tried to run it
> against a 5x database using those switches, or prevented you from running
> it outright, but alas, it don't.

It wouldn't only have been nice... it's *the only thing that makes sense*,
since running it on a different version database screws it up irreversibly!
One (like me) who didn't know this could reasonably assume that the utility
was retrocompatible, but it not only isn't, it's also lethal to your data.
Crazy. I've always known ESEUTIL isn't *exactly* user-friendly, but I find
this downright stupid.

> As you said, you have backups, so this isn't an insurmountable
> problem, and you now know not to try this again!

Learned the hard way, wasn't it? :-/

Massimo

0
barone (90)
4/8/2006 7:54:10 PM
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 21:54:10 +0200, "Massimo" <barone@mclink.it> wrote:

>"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
><lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> ha scritto nel
>messaggio news:uVuKTU0WGHA.4452@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
>> It'd be nice if eseutil 6.5 either warned you when you tried to run it
>> against a 5x database using those switches, or prevented you from running
>> it outright, but alas, it don't.
>
>It wouldn't only have been nice... it's *the only thing that makes sense*,
>since running it on a different version database screws it up irreversibly!
>One (like me) who didn't know this could reasonably assume that the utility
>was retrocompatible, but it not only isn't, it's also lethal to your data.
>Crazy. I've always known ESEUTIL isn't *exactly* user-friendly, but I find
>this downright stupid.
>
>> As you said, you have backups, so this isn't an insurmountable
>> problem, and you now know not to try this again!
>
>Learned the hard way, wasn't it? :-/

Why didnt you use the eseutil that was on the 5.5 server?

>Massimo
0
adavid (8731)
4/8/2006 8:52:54 PM
"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:0j8g325dm9pqf997flom3vs00dgrcd0vsn@4ax.com...

>>> It'd be nice if eseutil 6.5 either warned you when you tried to run it
>>> against a 5x database using those switches, or prevented you from
>>> running
>>> it outright, but alas, it don't.
>>
>>It wouldn't only have been nice... it's *the only thing that makes sense*,
>>since running it on a different version database screws it up
>>irreversibly!
>>One (like me) who didn't know this could reasonably assume that the
>>utility
>>was retrocompatible, but it not only isn't, it's also lethal to your data.
>>Crazy. I've always known ESEUTIL isn't *exactly* user-friendly, but I find
>>this downright stupid.
>>
>>> As you said, you have backups, so this isn't an insurmountable
>>> problem, and you now know not to try this again!
>>
>>Learned the hard way, wasn't it? :-/
>
> Why didnt you use the eseutil that was on the 5.5 server?

The database was corrupted (although it apeared to work) end its ESEUTIL
couldn't fix it, before trying to mount it as it was I did a copy of the
file and ran ESEUTIL 6.5 on it, under the (false) assumption that it could
do a better job than the old version.
But ESEUTIL 6.5 didn't say a thing about unsupported configurations or
version mismatches... it just worked on the database, couldn't fix it
anyway, and then the dataase was totally unmountable.
I think it *really* should have complained about the different database
version, because using it this way simply didn't make any sense (and I
didn't know that, of course).

Massimo

0
barone (90)

text to columns #6
sometimes i get a text from a webpage with delimiters a small square (what you get when you type =char(1) in an excel cell). how to specify this delimiter in the <data-texttocolumn>. Fixed width criterion does not help. thanks regards mine excel 2000 windows 98 -- remove $$$ from email addresss to send email Try other, hold down the alt key and type 010 on the numpad, release the alt key I have never heard of char 1 as delimiter, sometimes char 10 and char 13 (alt + 013) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "R.VENKATARAMAN" <vram26@vsnl$$$.net> w...

Exchange 5.5 #49
I can not mount the folders that are stored on M: Drive or even access the drive in explorer. Any ideas? "M:" drive? Exchange 5.5 doesn't use an M drive.... Regards, Hank Arnold Steven Sharman wrote: > I can not mount the folders that are stored on M: Drive or even access the > drive in explorer. Any ideas? MMM The mailboxes where on drive M: when I last done a backup on 29/3/06 Im using Win2K Server with exchange 5.5 I can not mount the the Exchange Server Also M: Drive is not accesible Any ideas would be more then welcomed Many thanks Steve "Hank Arnol...

Convert Works 6.0 data base to Excel?
How can I convert my data bases in Works 6.0 to Excel?? Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, .csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/converter/wkscnvxls_e.htm Text from the website above:- Microsoft does not provide an import Excel filter for Works-WKS files later than version 2. (for Works-WPD and Word they do). There is no standard way to convert a lot of Works-WKS files in...

Import Data from ACT 6.0
Hi, I would like to import my data from ACT 6.0 into CRM 3.0., Does anybody have step by step instructions in how to do this? Thanks there are multiple options 1 - use the Microsoft data migraiton framework 2 - buy and use scribe migrate 3 - write your own code 4 - buy a 3rd party utility which transfers act to an easier database then extract from that sorry there is no easy quick way to do this ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Behzad1m" <Behzad1m@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C19676E-...

Post migration 5.5 to 2003
The migration is complete. I need to remove the 5.5 box from the site. Bad thing happened. Exchange 5.5 box went down, never to start again. How do I remove the 5.5 from exchange 2003 site so that I can go to native mode? Do I stop SRS and delete the connector? I can not just remove it as I could a 2003 box from the site. Please assist. -- David Stout Remove SRS and the Connector. Then use ADSIedit to remove the references to the Exch 5.5 from AD. Nue "dstout" <dstout@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4902E9F0-F046-4768-AC6D-91C780056832@microsoft.com.....

log files #6
Hi, On the last installations of 2003SBS premium SP1 edition, i noticed that under c:\program files\exchsrv\mdbdata\, lots of .log-files are created, consuming lots of space. Is there a way to avoid the creation of these files. Because after, lets say a week, these files can consume for example 3Gb ! and these are the things that are eating up my diskspace. Regards, Jo Lambrecht I think the way is scheduled job on 00:00 I think: cd c:\program files\exchsrv\mbdata del *.log /q "Jo Lambrecht" wrote: > Hi, > > On the last installations of 2003SBS premium SP1 edi...

ESEUTIL Usage Recomendation
Hi Everyone, I have a private store that was purge of around 40 gigs of messages. Obviously I'll like to shrink the db. Is eseutil the best way to do this? Following link will be usfull ESEUTIL Repairing Exchange databases with ESEUTIL - when and how? http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/06/18/159413.aspx In Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003 Eseutil in Repair/Integrity Mode Incorporates /X and /V Options http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232734 Use the Eseutil Utility to Detect File Header Damage in Exchange 2003 http://support.microsoft.c...

How do I change row height to 16.0? I get choice of 15.6 (26 Pix.
In an excel sheet I need the row heights to be 16.0. I select the rows and go to Format, Row, Height and type 16.0. When I check the row height it will be 16.2. I can take the cursor and try to change an individual row height and it will let me choose 15.6 (26 Pixels) or 16.2 (27 Pixels). I have changed the screen resolution and it did not help and I have tried to change print resolution but am only given 600dpi as a choice. Hi AFAIK 1 pixel is the smallest increment you can use. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jlloyd" <jlloyd@discussions.microsoft.com> s...

Exchange 5.5 #13
Hi there, To be honest, my experience on Exchange 5.5 server has been minimal. I have been briefly told that a client is running Exchange 5.5 Server in his organisation. The users in that organisation already have email address of for example: joe.bloggs@doorlock.com Now the client wants that some of the users should maintain that email address and some of the users should get an email address of: richard.branson@woodenframe.com Therefore, the end result will be that 500 users will be having and email address ending with ...@doorlock.com and the rest 200 will be having ....@woodenf...

MSVC 6.0 or VC++.NET
Hi, By the way Os and platorms are upgrading, more and more softwares and codes shall require portability issues. I am a C++ developer. Last week only I faced a lot of troubles in developing code sticking to the basic C++ style and also using MFC. I have one question. Do the newer IDE's and dev env, like VC++.NET provide better support for portability issues. I am using MSVC 6. Will I face any portability issues and optimizaion issues later. Maybe should I switch to VC++.NET. Now, as common sense says, some of the dev's here shall point out that it depends on the type of codes I a...

Eseutil and switches
Greetings, We have one E2K Standard server. DB is approaching 15GB and needs defragging. Eseutil resides on C:\ The DB resides on D:\ There is not enough space on C:\ for the temp file. What would be the exact syntax to defrag the DB and direct the temp file to D:\ ? My best guess at the command line would be: C:\>eseutil /d D:\DB.edb /t D:\TEMPDFRG.edb Thanks for the help Dan There should be no space after /t. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192185&Product=exch2k dan p wrote: > Greetings, > We have one E2K Standard server. DB is approaching 15GB a...

B 2.5 Unable to validate company information in your backoffice da
I am un able to REinstall BP 2.5. once I retry to install from scratch I get the following error Unable to validate company information in your backoffice data Great plains 8 with Business Portal 2.5 is it as simple of Dumping all the mbf Tables? or is there more to this. This problem may occur for one of the following reasons. 1. The wrong version numbers are listed in the system tables. 2. An orphan company exists in Microsoft Dynamics GP. Additionally, the system tables in the DYNAMICS database contain references to a company that no longer exists in Microsoft SQL Server. See belo...

Public Folders #6
Hi, i have a Public Folder mail enabled. When this folder receives a mail outside my Organization this object is created like a post object. Whin this folder receives a mail inside my Organization this object is created like a message object. I need that the mails outside my Organization are created like message objects. Any idea? Thanks PD: Sorry For My English!!! XADM: Update to Permit the Caching of Incoming SMTP Messages as IPM.Note ID: 817809 -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send em...

about my disabled 5 tear old
i want to tell people about a story about my 5 year old he is being discriminated by by the state and its not fair and i have 3 other children the comunity should no about please i would love to put my story somewhere i need to get some help thanks god will love you and so will me and my5 year old ...

MFC DLLs in Windows CE 6.0?
Hi: MFC dlls was no longer part of Windows CE 6.0 platform builder, so MFC App have to use static library. If we still want to use MFC DLLs, where they are? Thanks On Jan 6, 10:03=A0am, ydlu <yudian...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi: > > MFC dlls was no longer part of Windows CE 6.0 platform builder, so MFC > App have to use static library. If we still want to use MFC DLLs, > where they are? > > Thanks I got it. the MFC dlls under: $(BINDIR)\$(ARCHFAM) directory. Thanks ...

Templates #5
I have looked all over publsiher 2000 and can't find wre to put what template I will be printing too. I'm sure I missed it somewhere. Help would be appreciated. Do you want to re-word this? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Karen Rhodes" <KarenRhodes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FFD65D99-76C1-4762-B3AC-8AF541EC64F6@microsoft.com... >I have looked all over publsiher 2000 and can't find wre to put what template > I will be printing too. I'm sure I missed it some...

Security issue with 5.5 IMC?
Hi all, I am seeing some weird events in my Application log on my Exchange 5.5 server. It looks like someone is attempting to directly access my server from a remote address. Here's a couple instances of what I'm seeing: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIMC Event Category: SMTP Interface Events Event ID: 4183 Date: 11/02/2004 Time: 10:35:58 PM User: N/A Computer: EXCHANGE Description: Authentication attempt (AUTH LOGIN) from 218.70.8.60 as \webmaster failed: LogonUser() call failed with error: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. Event Type: Error Event So...

Watermark #6
I am trying to put a watermark on an Excel worksheet. I have tried using the Word Art but the lines still effect what is written in the cell. Any suggestions would be gratefullt received. I am using Excel 2002. Hi maybe the following sites will help you: http://www.xl-logic.com/pages/formulas.html http://www.rondebruin.nl/files/Watermark.zip And for Excel 2002+: http://cpap.com.br/orlando >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to put a watermark on an Excel worksheet. >I have tried using the Word Art but the lines still effect what is written in the cell. >Any suggestions wou...

Column Labels #6
The Lables have changed from A,B,C to 1,2,3 and I can not change them back. Any one can help please? Tools|Options|General|Uncheck R1C1 Reference style Fafa wrote: > > The Lables have changed from A,B,C to 1,2,3 and I can not change them back. > Any one can help please? -- Dave Peterson Hi, Go to Tools->Options and choose General tab. In that uncheck 'R1C1 reference style' Regards Govind. Fafa wrote: > The Lables have changed from A,B,C to 1,2,3 and I can not change them back. > Any one can help please? Thanks a lot. BR Fafa. "Dave Peterson"...

IF statements #6
I wish to create a cell that gives a rounded up/rounded down figure i.e. Assume figure of 20.38 The number before the decimal point will be variable. The number after the decimal point will be subject to the following conditions:- If < .124 then round down to next whole 0.5 (if 20.38 then figure to be 20.0) If > .124 then round up to next whole 0.5 (if 20.38 then figure to be 20.5) If < .624 then round down to next whole 0.5 (if 20.45 then figure to be 20.5) If > .624 then round up to next whole 0.5 (if 20.72 then figure to be 21.0) How do I write the formula please? Hi Dave...

Moving Storage Database
I have two domains and I'm planning leave just one. One runs an Exchange 2003 enterprise, the othe an Exchange 2003 Standard. I there a way to move all email boxes from the standard to the enterprise server? On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:50:42 -0800, Menjivar <Menjivar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have two domains and I'm planning leave just one. One runs an Exchange 2003 >enterprise, the othe an Exchange 2003 Standard. I there a way to move all >email boxes from the standard to the enterprise server? Same org? Move mailbox wizard in ESM. ...

Exchange 5.5 Open Relay
I have done all of the necessary things to shutdown our Exchange server and can telnet to port 25 to send mail and I always get the message "Relaying prohibited". I thought I had it locked down but using Nessus as a vulnerability scanner it tells me that I have an open relay. Using the following syntax it says it can relay mail. MAIL FROM: <nessus@mydomain.com> RCPT TO: <nobody%nessus.org@mydomain.com> I substituted "nobody%nessus.org" with my home email address and was not able to get a message through. Is there some kind of exploit using a special syn...

spam #6
How do I filter out e-mails with adult content words in the body of the e-mail? I continue to add to my junk senders and adult content lists. I have the feature turned on so these lists are looked at, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried modifying the c:\program files\microsoft office\office\filters.txt file buy adding additinal words but it doesn't make a difference. Thanks, Lionel That can get old real fast.... Are you setting up rules to block the emails ? Rules, especially when you are looking for certain words in the body of the text on my system (200...

Running eseutil
Good Day, I ran the esetutil last night on my exchange 2003 server, it took over 13 hours to run because the temp file is being copied over the network to another system with enough hard drive space, my question is I had to stop the eseutil from finishing because users needed to get back on the server so when I restart the process does it start from where it left off? TIA Ray I don't think so. How big is your EDB? I personally would stop IS then copy the EDB to a server with good processors and memory and sufficient disk space. Copy the ESEUTIL plus necessary DLL's (there is...

Worksheet protection #5
I have a work book with over 120 worksheets. Is there any way to set the worksheet protection on all worksheets so that a user can only select unlocked cells. I know I can do this by selecting each worksheet, one at a time, and deselecting all options but "select unlocked cells", but that will be very time consuming. Patrick A macro will do what you want. Sub ProtectAllSheets() Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim n As Single For n = 1 To Sheets.Count With Sheets(n) .Protect Password:="justme" .EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCel...