Error 9582 on Exch2000SP3 and W2KSP4 w/2.5 G RAM

HELP!!!!

I have a single Exchange server with 2.5G RAM.
Exchange 2000 SP3
Windows 2000 Server SP4

I am getting a 9582 *warning* message:
The Virtual memory necessary to run your Exchange server is fragmented
in such a way that performance may be affected. It is highly
recommended that you restart all Exchange services to correct this
issue.

I have gone to EventID.net and followed along with all the Qxxxxx
articles. I have:

1. Installed the last Post-SP3 patch (Store.exe shows version
6.0.6603.0)
2. I have added the HeapDecommit reg entry detailed in Q315407
3. I have set up counters in Performance Monitor as per Q325044, but I
don't know what they mean...here are the results:

MSExchangeIS
	VMLargestBlockSize		21876736.000
	VMTotalFreeBlocks		333.000
	VMTotalLargeFreeBlocks	21876736.000

Process				Store
	Virtual Bytes			1774796800

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Remove "YoMammy" from the address to send mail.
0
jack_mioff (14)

Are you running Windows 2000 Advanced Server?  Even though Windows 2000
Standard can handle up to 4gb of ram, Exchange 2000 cannot take advantage of
it unless you are running Windows 2000 Advanced (where you can set the /3gb
switch).  I typically don't recommend putting any more than 2gb in an
Exchange server that is running on Windows 2000 Standard.  Following are
some troubleshooting tips from a technet article.  The last point mentions
Storage Groups.  How many do you have?  How many databases?  Although you
will never hear PSS tell you to do this, you may end up wanting to pull out
either 512mb or 1gb of RAM.

To troubleshoot virtual memory problems

      1.
     Determine if your server is running Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2000
Advanced Server. If your server is running Windows 2000 Server, ensure that
the /3GB switch is not in the boot.ini file. If your server is running
Windows 2000 Advanced Server and there is more than 1GB of physical RAM
installed, ensure that the /3GB switch does appear in the boot.ini file.

      Note Because Windows 2000 Server (Standard) does not support the /3GB
tuning switch, do not attempt to scale individual servers to host multiple
thousands of users.

      2.
     Check the Application log for 9582 warnings (less than 32MB virtual
memory blocks available) or 9582 errors (less than 16MB virtual memory
blocks available). On some large systems, it is usual to drop below the 32MB
threshold during peak activity; however the available virtual memory should
rise significantly during non peak activity.

      3.
     Check the application log for other errors that indicate that you are
out of memory (such as 12800 MIME processing errors) in addition to 9582
warnings. If the warnings are accompanied by other errors indicating that
you are out of memory, users may be unable to access mail. If no other
processing errors occur, and users are able to access their mail, it
indicates that the 9582 warnings may be relatively harmless. However, 9582
warnings should still be investigated for possible action.

      4.
     Monitor the MSExchangeIS\VM Largest Block Size counter. This counter is
the best way to investigate virtual memory issues. You can monitor this
counter in real time, or monitor 1-minute intervals. Collecting 18-24 hours
of data to determine if a trend indicates that memory is being released.
Monitor the minimum value to see what the drop is. It can be normal on large
servers if this minimum value is around 55MB.

      5.
     Be aware that other store-related processes, such as virus scanning,
can tip the threshold. However, as long as user performance is not affected,
and the virtual memory block grows again during non-peak activity,
corrective action may not be necessary. However, if you expect user load to
increase, you may want to reduce overall virtual memory consumption so that
the server can accommodate a greater load.

      6.
     To reduce virtual memory consumption, first ensure that the Exchange
server is running Exchange 2000 Server Service Pack 3 (SP3); Exchange SP3
has specific virtual memory optimizations.

      7.
     If 9582 warnings are still being logged, then you must perform a
registry change. This registry change is acceptable as long as there is an
adequate amount of RAM available on the server. Monitor the Memory\Available
Bytes counter. Make sure the counter indicates more than 200MB.

      Change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\HeapDeCommitFreeBlockThreshold to equal 262144.

      8.
     At this point, if you are still experiencing virtual memory issues,
then you either have a heavily loaded system or memory leaks. If you suspect
a memory leak, monitor the Process(Store)\Private Bytes counter to determine
if it is growing over time. If you suspect the system is overloaded, you
will likely also encounter other indications, such as high CPU utilization.

      9.
     If the 9582 warnings have not stopped, then look at your Physical
Disk\Disk Queue Length counter for the database and transaction log drives
(run the diskperf -y command at the command prompt to view these counters).
The disk queue length should never be consistently above the number of
spindles in the array. You will see peaks, and ranges into the low hundreds
are acceptable. If the disk queue lengths are up into 300 and beyond
consistently, then you may have a disk bottleneck.

      10.
     If you reach this point and are still encountering virtual memory
issues, you must further reduce virtual memory consumption. For example,
find out what the storage group and database configuration is. You can
reduce this to 3 storage groups-to try to further reduce virtual memory
consumption.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Chris" <jack_mioff@YO_MAMMYexcite.com> wrote in message
> HELP!!!!
>
> I have a single Exchange server with 2.5G RAM.
> Exchange 2000 SP3
> Windows 2000 Server SP4
>
> I am getting a 9582 *warning* message:
> The Virtual memory necessary to run your Exchange server is fragmented
> in such a way that performance may be affected. It is highly
> recommended that you restart all Exchange services to correct this
> issue.
>
> I have gone to EventID.net and followed along with all the Qxxxxx
> articles. I have:
>
> 1. Installed the last Post-SP3 patch (Store.exe shows version
> 6.0.6603.0)
> 2. I have added the HeapDecommit reg entry detailed in Q315407
> 3. I have set up counters in Performance Monitor as per Q325044, but I
> don't know what they mean...here are the results:
>
> MSExchangeIS
> VMLargestBlockSize 21876736.000
> VMTotalFreeBlocks 333.000
> VMTotalLargeFreeBlocks 21876736.000
>
> Process Store
> Virtual Bytes 1774796800
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks!
> Remove "YoMammy" from the address to send mail.

0
Ben

pivottable refresh #2
I want to proctect a portion of a worksheet that also contains a PivotTable. Is there a setting that will allow the sheet to be protected and still let the pivot table be refreshed? ...

Replication and the 2 SQL Jobs "REPL-Snapshot"
Replication and the 2 SQL Jobs "REPL-Snapshot". We have disabled the jobs for 6 months. >From research my understanding is that these jobs just need to be run once to create the files in the mscrm/unc....folders. Once those files are created this job may be turned off. If any schema changes are made these would then need to be run again so that changes get reflected on the clients MSDE. I am after confirmation that the above is indeed correct The Sync is also very slow . Any advises ...

Excel Progrom Error

Changing a result ending in 32ths to 16ths i.e. 5 5/32 to 5 3/16
I have a cell where a number (variable) i.e. 10 5/16 which in another cell I have to divide it in half. The problem is that the number will end with a 32 fraction like 5 5/32. I need that or any other result to end in 16 i.e. 5 3/16. I work in a carton corrugator and we don't use 32ths in measures. We use 16ths and up. Please help! In recent versions of Excel: Format>Cells>Fraction>as sixteenths In older versions: Format>Cells>Custom># ?/16 -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "WGL" <WGL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Ask 2 MSFT Experts About v8.0 Security
Hello all, Welcome to the first Business Solutions Community discussion held directly in the Microsoft Great Plains newsgroup. During the week of September 20th, Microsoft Escalation Engineer Kelly Youells and Microsoft Senior Development Consultant David Musgrave will answer your version 8.0 security questions directly in this newsgroup thread. How is this different than any other week in the newsgroup? While product experts like Kelly and David may frequent the newsgroup during their workweek to answer as many questions as they can, they don't necessarily *solicit* questions o...

Data Migration Problem #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C4C0C4.D0290A10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Bonjour all, I have been struggling with the data migration problem for a long = time... and get stuck in the middle of the road. I am importing company data from either excel or text files into the = cdf_Product table of SQL server (cdf_mscrm database) using the SQL Query = Analyzer, where a problem is encountered that in the table structure, = there exists the product id as the primary key (data type: SQLI...

Sharebuilder account import error

Information for Visio 5 users
If you have Visio 5 you should seriously consider upgrading before November 30th. Currently Visio 5 is the oldest version of Visio that qualifies for an upgrade. When Visio 2003 is released on Oct 21st, Visio 2000 will be the oldest version that qualifies for an upgrade. At that point Visio 5 will no longer qualify for an upgrade and you will have to pay full retail price for a newer version of Visio. Until Oct 30th, Visio 5 users can upgrade to Visio 2002 and will qualify for a "free" upgrade to Visio 2003 under Microsoft's Technology guarantee. (There will be a nominal cost f...

Need help w/ excel formula (duplicate entry)
Hello, I am not sure if this is possible but I would like write a formula that would recognize a duplicate entry under same column. e.g., column A has heading of Sample ID# and under is sample ID# in random order. If an entry of ID is then made but if it is a repeat of the ID that was previously entered, I would like to it to give some kind of warning message. Thank you. You may want to read some of Chip Pearson's techniques for dealing with duplicates: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Visit Chip Pearson's site for a Data|validation solution: http://www.cpearson.com/ex...

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

Adding font (CE 5.0)
Hi I add fonts with plateform builder in my platform project. All seem correct, but I don't find the files font in the directory windows (Windows or windows\Fonts). So I'am not able to change the font in my application. Do i forget something ? Thanks for help Alro I have found. I must not use "Raster Fonts Support" from plateform builder catalog. ...

ERROR

owner drawn Clistctrl #2
can any one tell me how to insert item using draw item() function and a local structure (which contains the data to be inserted)in Clistctrl ?? thanks in advance, ramz ...

error, chkdsk

Access 2.0 Converter 09-27-04
I have installed the converter for moving from Access 2.0 to Access 2003 running under Windows XP Professional. However Access 2003 still tells me I need to convert the database and does not recognise the converter has been installed, so points me again to the Microsoft Website to obtain the converter. Any suggestions please. Hi Colin, My name is Amy Vargo. Thank you for using the Microsoft Access Newsgroups. Are you sure that you ran the .exe file for the Access 2.0 Converter so that it was installed? To download the Access 2.0 Converter free of charge, visit the following Micro...

4.4.7 error

error 0x800CCC0F

delete server...routing master error

Excel error codes translations

Re: Money 2004

Visual Studio 7 project subfolders #2
I know this may not be the exact group to ask this in, but in VS6.0 I used to be able to create subfolders within a project to keep my classes divided up conveniently. I just got VS7, however, and i can't seem to find any way to create subfolders. I can create subfolders for an entire SOLUTION, but not within a project. Am I missing or forgetting something here? Thanks! Duy Lam ...

Technical error

CObject Private method access error