Error -550 attempt at resolution

We have a customer witha small network and dedicated server using SBS4.5 sp6
with Exchange 5.5 (build 2448.8 sp2) that recently had a power outage which
appears to have corrupted the one of the Exchange EDB files. Some (years)
ago we moved the Exchange data from C: to D: due to space limitations. Based
on the error we referred to Q143235 and tried to follow the resolution.
Using ESEUTIL /MH, we found the d:\exchsrvr\dsadata\diredb file to be
inconsistent.
We found the d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata.priv.edb file was consistent
We found the d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub.edb file to be consistent.
Per the Q article we ran ESEUTIL /R /DS from a command prompt at C: but this
operated on the c:\exchsrvr directory not where the edb files were located.
So... we moved to the d:\exchsrvr\dsadata directory and ran ESEUTIL /E /DS
again. After several minutes we got an error that said "... cannot continue
because this database is inconsistent". No kidding!
We were under the impression that this command would repair the
inconsistency. Should we be using the ESEUTIL /P (repair) command instead?
We tried the ESEUTIL /IS command and it defragmented the
d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv.edb file with no errors, but upon reboot we still
could not get Exchange to start and running ESEUTIL /MH again showed the
d:\exchsrve\dsadata\dir.edb file was still inconsistent.
Help!
I'm sure we're doing something wrong and at this point, need the help of
Microsoft Tech Support (which, by the way, is the best there is!!!)
Thank you for yhour time,
Tim Anderson

You probably should have called PSS a long time ago.
--
Ed Crowley
Celebrating a decade of Exchange peer support

"Tim Anderson" <computers@transport.com> wrote in message
> We have a customer witha small network and dedicated server using SBS4.5
> sp6
> with Exchange 5.5 (build 2448.8 sp2) that recently had a power outage
> which
> appears to have corrupted the one of the Exchange EDB files. Some (years)
> ago we moved the Exchange data from C: to D: due to space limitations.
> Based
> on the error we referred to Q143235 and tried to follow the resolution.
> Using ESEUTIL /MH, we found the d:\exchsrvr\dsadata\diredb file to be
> inconsistent.
> We found the d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata.priv.edb file was consistent
> We found the d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub.edb file to be consistent.
> Per the Q article we ran ESEUTIL /R /DS from a command prompt at C: but
> this
> operated on the c:\exchsrvr directory not where the edb files were
> located.
> So... we moved to the d:\exchsrvr\dsadata directory and ran ESEUTIL /E /DS
> again. After several minutes we got an error that said "... cannot
> continue
> because this database is inconsistent". No kidding!
> We were under the impression that this command would repair the
> inconsistency. Should we be using the ESEUTIL /P (repair) command instead?
> We tried the ESEUTIL /IS command and it defragmented the
> d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv.edb file with no errors, but upon reboot we still
> could not get Exchange to start and running ESEUTIL /MH again showed the
> d:\exchsrve\dsadata\dir.edb file was still inconsistent.
> Help!
> I'm sure we're doing something wrong and at this point, need the help of
> Microsoft Tech Support (which, by the way, is the best there is!!!)
> Thank you for yhour time,
> Tim Anderson

"Tim Anderson" <computers@transport.com> wrote:

>We have a customer witha small network and dedicated server using SBS4.5 sp6
>with Exchange 5.5 (build 2448.8 sp2) that recently had a power outage which
>appears to have corrupted the one of the Exchange EDB files. Some (years)
>ago we moved the Exchange data from C: to D: due to space limitations. Based
>on the error we referred to Q143235 and tried to follow the resolution.
>Using ESEUTIL /MH, we found the d:\exchsrvr\dsadata\diredb file to be
>inconsistent.

That's the directory.

>We found the d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata.priv.edb file was consistent
>We found the d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub.edb file to be consistent.

Those are the private and public stores.

>Per the Q article we ran ESEUTIL /R /DS from a command prompt at C: but this
>operated on the c:\exchsrvr directory not where the edb files were located.

Then you never correctly moved the dir.edb file to the D: drive. If
you had, the registry would correctly point to the right path.

>So... we moved to the d:\exchsrvr\dsadata directory

I'm not sure that'll do anything since Exchange thinks it should be
using the dir.edb in the c:\exchsrvr directory.

>and ran ESEUTIL /E /DS
>again.

/E? Did you mean /R?

>After several minutes we got an error that said "... cannot continue
>because this database is inconsistent". No kidding!

No it's not. The /R does the same thing as trying to start Exchange --
it simply replays the log files

>We were under the impression that this command would repair the
>inconsistency.

You're laboring under a misconception. /R = Recover, not Repair.

>Should we be using the ESEUTIL /P (repair) command instead?

No, you should restore from your backup.

>We tried the ESEUTIL /IS command and it defragmented the
>d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv.edb file with no errors, but upon reboot we still
>could not get Exchange to start and running ESEUTIL /MH again showed the
>d:\exchsrve\dsadata\dir.edb file was still inconsistent.

What about the dir.edb on the C: drive. That's the one Exchange is
using.

I think you should make a copy of the dir.edb and its log files on the
c: drive and then restore the directory from backup. Replaying the log
files will bring the directory pack to the state just prior to the
failure.

>Help!
>I'm sure we're doing something wrong and at this point, need the help of
>Microsoft Tech Support (which, by the way, is the best there is!!!)

Well, call them!

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> "Tim Anderson" <computers@transport.com> wrote:
>
> >We have a customer witha small network and dedicated server using SBS4.5
sp6
> >with Exchange 5.5 (build 2448.8 sp2) that recently had a power outage
which
> >appears to have corrupted the one of the Exchange EDB files. Some (years)
> >ago we moved the Exchange data from C: to D: due to space limitations.
Based
> >on the error we referred to Q143235 and tried to follow the resolution.
> >Using ESEUTIL /MH, we found the d:\exchsrvr\dsadata\diredb file to be
> >inconsistent.
>
> That's the directory.
>
> >We found the d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata.priv.edb file was consistent
> >We found the d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub.edb file to be consistent.
>
> Those are the private and public stores.
>
> >Per the Q article we ran ESEUTIL /R /DS from a command prompt at C: but
this
> >operated on the c:\exchsrvr directory not where the edb files were
located.

> Then you never correctly moved the dir.edb file to the D: drive. If
> you had, the registry would correctly point to the right path.
>

>We moved Exchange using the migration utility that is part of Exchange and
in accordance with Microsoft's instructions. I don't know what other way
there is and since it has worked fine (according to the customer) for
several years, I thought we'd done it right.

> >So... we moved to the d:\exchsrvr\dsadata directory
>
> I'm not sure that'll do anything since Exchange thinks it should be
> using the dir.edb in the c:\exchsrvr directory.
>
>There is no dir.edb in the c:\exchsrvr directory (could this be part of the
problem?)

> >and ran ESEUTIL /E /DS
> >again.
>
> /E? Did you mean /R?
>
>Sorry for the typo, yes, it should have read /R
>
> >After several minutes we got an error that said "... cannot continue
> >because this database is inconsistent". No kidding!
>
> No it's not. The /R does the same thing as trying to start Exchange --
> it simply replays the log files
>
> >We were under the impression that this command would repair the
> >inconsistency.
>
> You're laboring under a misconception. /R = Recover, not Repair.
>
> >Should we be using the ESEUTIL /P (repair) command instead?
>
> No, you should restore from your backup.
>
>Unfortunately, restoring isn't an option. The customer is a very small
operation that had to reduce staff last year. They have informed us that
they have not been doing backups since the person that was doing it left
their company last year. Not what I wanted to hear, but there we are... All
I can do now is try to help them from this point forward (and insist that
they be more diligent with backing up).

> >We tried the ESEUTIL /IS command and it defragmented the
> >d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv.edb file with no errors, but upon reboot we
still
> >could not get Exchange to start and running ESEUTIL /MH again showed the
> >d:\exchsrve\dsadata\dir.edb file was still inconsistent.
>
> What about the dir.edb on the C: drive. That's the one Exchange is
> using.
>
> I think you should make a copy of the dir.edb and its log files on the
> c: drive and then restore the directory from backup. Replaying the log
> files will bring the directory pack to the state just prior to the
> failure.
>
>Could the problem be that dir.edb file is located in d:\exchsrvr\dsadata,
but the log files are located on c:\exchsrve\dsadata? The customer said that
when the server was rebooted after the power outage, they saw some message
(but didn't write it down) about an Exchange error that occurred and would
use the "default instead". Could it be that Exchange was trying to rebuild
dsadata back over on C:?

> >Help!
> >I'm sure we're doing something wrong and at this point, need the help of
> >Microsoft Tech Support (which, by the way, is the best there is!!!)
>
> Well, call them!
>
>Rich, please don't take offense. For many years we've participated in this
forum which until recently was located on Mircosoft.private.directaccess and
was monitored and supported by MS tech support. They, and many folks like
yourself have provided the highest quality support available. My intention
was to thank them (and MS trained professionals such as yourself) once
again, not to besmirch anyone.

>Thank you again for you assistance, Tim Anderson
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Tim Anderson" <computers@transport.com> wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
>> "Tim Anderson" <computers@transport.com> wrote:
>>
>> >We have a customer witha small network and dedicated server using SBS4.5
>sp6
>> >with Exchange 5.5 (build 2448.8 sp2) that recently had a power outage
>which
>> >appears to have corrupted the one of the Exchange EDB files. Some (years)
>> >ago we moved the Exchange data from C: to D: due to space limitations.
>Based
>> >on the error we referred to Q143235 and tried to follow the resolution.
>> >Using ESEUTIL /MH, we found the d:\exchsrvr\dsadata\diredb file to be
>> >inconsistent.
>>
>> That's the directory.
>>
>> >We found the d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata.priv.edb file was consistent
>> >We found the d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub.edb file to be consistent.
>>
>> Those are the private and public stores.
>>
>> >Per the Q article we ran ESEUTIL /R /DS from a command prompt at C: but
>this
>> >operated on the c:\exchsrvr directory not where the edb files were
>located.
>>
>> Then you never correctly moved the dir.edb file to the D: drive. If
>> you had, the registry would correctly point to the right path.
>>

>We moved Exchange using the migration utility that is part of Exchange and in accordance with Microsoft's instructions. I don't know what other way there is and since it has worked fine (according to the customer) for several years, I thought we'd done it right.

I don't know of any "migration tool" that moves the directory to
another location in the file system. The only one I know of is the
Exchange "optimizer" (PerfWiz.exe), but that's not a migraton tool.

If the working directory is in the location you say it is, then the
registry values that tell Exchange where the directory is located are
incorrect -- and if nobody's changed them then the directory you think
is being used, isn't.

>> >So... we moved to the d:\exchsrvr\dsadata directory
>>
>> I'm not sure that'll do anything since Exchange thinks it should be
>> using the dir.edb in the c:\exchsrvr directory.
>>
>There is no dir.edb in the c:\exchsrvr directory (could this be part of the
>problem?)

When you run ESEUTIL /R /DS the eseutil program looks in the registry
to locate the file -- just as Exchange does. If there's no dir.edb
there then Exchange sure won't start.

>> >After several minutes we got an error that said "... cannot continue
>> >because this database is inconsistent". No kidding!
>>
>> No it's not. The /R does the same thing as trying to start Exchange --
>> it simply replays the log files
>>
>> >We were under the impression that this command would repair the
>> >inconsistency.
>>
>> You're laboring under a misconception. /R = Recover, not Repair.
>>
>> >Should we be using the ESEUTIL /P (repair) command instead?
>>
>> No, you should restore from your backup.
>>
>Unfortunately, restoring isn't an option. The customer is a very small
>operation that had to reduce staff last year. They have informed us that
>they have not been doing backups since the person that was doing it left
>their company last year. Not what I wanted to hear, but there we are... All
>I can do now is try to help them from this point forward (and insist that
>they be more diligent with backing up).

I'd be on the phone with MS about now. If the directory's just in the
wrong directory (or the registry's go the wrong info) the problem's
pretty easy to correct. If the directory's hosed you've got a big
problem, especially with no backup.

>> >We tried the ESEUTIL /IS command and it defragmented the
>> >d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv.edb file with no errors, but upon reboot we
>still
>> >could not get Exchange to start and running ESEUTIL /MH again showed the
>> >d:\exchsrve\dsadata\dir.edb file was still inconsistent.
>>
>> What about the dir.edb on the C: drive. That's the one Exchange is
>> using.
>>
>> I think you should make a copy of the dir.edb and its log files on the
>> c: drive and then restore the directory from backup. Replaying the log
>> files will bring the directory pack to the state just prior to the
>> failure.
>>
>Could the problem be that dir.edb file is located in d:\exchsrvr\dsadata,
>but the log files are located on c:\exchsrve\dsadata?

No, that's normal.

>The customer said that
>when the server was rebooted after the power outage, they saw some message
>(but didn't write it down) about an Exchange error that occurred and would
>use the "default instead". Could it be that Exchange was trying to rebuild
>dsadata back over on C:?

No, Exchange won't create an empty directory if the one it expects to
find isn't there.

>> >Help!
>> >I'm sure we're doing something wrong and at this point, need the help of
>> >Microsoft Tech Support (which, by the way, is the best there is!!!)
>>
>> Well, call them!

>Rich, please don't take offense. For many years we've participated in this
>forum which until recently was located on Mircosoft.private.directaccess and
>was monitored and supported by MS tech support.

MS folks still answer questions here, but sorting out problems like
this in a newsgroup isn't going to get you where you want to be as
quickly as you want to get there.

You may be in for reinstalling Exchange just to get a working copy of
the directory. You'd then have to run a DS/IS Consistency Adjustment
to repopulate the directory with the minimum mailbox and public folder
info. Then you'd have to recreate the distribution lists and contacts
in the directory. It's not an impossible job, but if there's no record
of how they're constructed you'll have to rely on someone's memory.

>They, and many folks like
>yourself have provided the highest quality support available. My intention
>was to thank them (and MS trained professionals such as yourself) once
>again, not to besmirch anyone.

I wasn't besmirched. :)  I was offering advice. I was dead serious.
You have a problem that *may* be very simple, or it may be very
difficult, to fix. Dealing with the folks that have done this many
(many, many, many) times is your most direct way to resolution. If
you're billing these guys by the hour it's going to be a LOT less
expensive to have someone step you through this than it will be if you
screw it up.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Just thought you'd want to know, we talked with MS Tech Support and they had
us run ESEUTIL /P on the D:\exchsrvr\dsadata\dir.edb file (after moving the
log files from c:\exchsrvr\dsadata) and it fixed everything. Exchange is up
and running with all mailboxes in good shape.

Thanks again for your help.

Tim Anderson

> [...]
>
> I wasn't besmirched. :)  I was offering advice. I was dead serious.
> You have a problem that *may* be very simple, or it may be very
> difficult, to fix. Dealing with the folks that have done this many
> (many, many, many) times is your most direct way to resolution. If
> you're billing these guys by the hour it's going to be a LOT less
> expensive to have someone step you through this than it will be if you
> screw it up.
>

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Tim Anderson" <computers@transport.com> wrote:

>Just thought you'd want to know, we talked with MS Tech Support and they had
>us run ESEUTIL /P on the D:\exchsrvr\dsadata\dir.edb file (after moving the
>log files from c:\exchsrvr\dsadata) and it fixed everything. Exchange is up
>and running with all mailboxes in good shape.

Just curious . . . did they have you do anything else to the diectory
after repairing it? I expect they knew before (and certainly after)
running the repair that there wasn't anything actually "wrong".

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Excel Progrom Error

Sharebuilder account import error

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

ERROR

error, chkdsk

error 0x800CCC0F

4.4.7 error

Excel error codes translations

delete server...routing master error

Re: Money 2004

Technical error

CObject Private method access error

Error in closing Outlook

Typing message error

Receive an error message when you try to perform any editing tasks
Hi We have exch2003 cluster and recently we have some note book with Vista, now when we are accessing mailbox through OWA we are getting error when we want to edit (reply, forward) there is article from MS, we want to know does this article also apply to exch clsuter or it is for member server. The artical is http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=911829 Nagori Not sure what you mean by either exch cluster or member server, but basically you will need to install this patch on your FE and BE exchange servers, including your exch cluster servers. To install exch hotfixes or patches, move...

outlook.pst error message
When I attmept to open Outlook 2000 (in Windows XP) I get an error message that the file C:Documents and Setting\Owner Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst has detetected an error. It tells me to quit all mail-enabled applications and then use the Inbox repair tool. I have tried to run the repair tool many times and it always crashes before it fin9shes scanning the files. One time it finished the scan and stated that files were damaged and it asked if I wanted to Repair those files. I said yes and it froze up and would not respond. Are there any other ways ...

PM Transaction continuing error message #2
We are currently running GP 10 SP1 and apparently since version 8 (we did not upgrade to 9) there has been the following error message while launching a transaction out of Smartlist, when we go to inquiry for AP documents, and drill down of PMTRX & PMCHK from the JE inquiry view: Unhandeled Script Exception: Index 0 array of 'PM_Transaction_Inquiry_Fill' Script terminated We ran a query for all documents that were less than 1 or greater the 8 on the PM00400 & PM30200 tables. And updated the ones to what they needed to be. And it worked! And the message went away! But then we ...

Message "An error has occured" when click Activity
Hi All, After creating a new case, when i try to create a new email activity, message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator". Has anybody encounter this issue before? Previously it was working fine, after we import the customization. I have problem to create new email activity. Thanks. -- Regards, Venedict what does the Event Viewer say? "Venedict" wrote: > Hi All, > > After creating a new case, when i try to create a new email activity, > message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator". &g...

error messages #3
I had the error message... > cannot SKU011.cab I soved this by following the instructions listed here. > http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/Profile/?referrer=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.msdn.microsoft.com%2fForums%2fen-US%2fvssetup%2fthread%2f5493e068-01d3-4e96-a9b1-58020bc94e69%2f&rh=YI7rGXc4iv4rR%2b2JUZeQQv4OEnxWySPD0w%2bJjbDQwzE%3d > Then I received the error message... > 1311 source not found C:\MSOCache\All > Users\90000409-6000-11D3-8CFE-015204838309\PA561401.CAB > I do not have the install disks for Microsoft Office Professional 2003. My > computer was build by som...

Pub error
I get the following message whenever I scan photos in Corel Photopaint and copy paste into Pub 2003. Happens on all my computers. Happens after scanning about 6 pictures or so. Publisher cannot launch or communicate with the OLE server program needed to complete the task. There may not be enough disk space, or there may be a problem with the server program. To make more disk space available, delete some unneeded files on your hard disk. If you suspect a problem with the server program, try reinstalling it. Then try this task again. Is there a way to correct this? Scan your p...

GP upgrade from 8 to 10 error message
I upgrade from GP7.5 to GP8 few months back and now I am trying to upgrade it to GP10 in lab environment. I followed the line by line instruction in upgrade instructions. I also installed sp3 but whenever I try to urn GP Utility it is giving me this error message "Database Name" Advanced security product 3104 does not support upgrading from version 7.50 or prior" "report scheduler Product 3278 does not support upgrading from version 7.50" Any help will be appreciated. Please be gentle it is my first time that I am playing with this product. Thanks, Abid, You m...

Error Checking & Break Point Failure
I have a database (FE + BE) in A2000 which has suffered some corruption (I think). The problem is that the Break Point facility no longer works. I can enter a break point (the line goes brown) but when the code executes the break point is ignored. Other databases on the same hard disk seem to work OK. So far I have done the following :- Compiled the code, no errors shown. Decompiled the database file. Compacted and Repaired the file. Tried the JETCOMP facility from MS. Looked at Allen Browne's site but could not see anything relevant. I have reverted to my back up copies from 1 and 2 wee...