Entering 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) in the connection filter deny list

I'd like to block all incoming connections by entering 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) in
the deny list in Exchange 2003's Connection Filtering under Message Delivery,
but the Okay button is greyed out.  Is this normal?  As a workaround I've
entered these two entries instead: 1.0.0.0 (128.0.0.0) and 128.0.0.0
(128.0.0.0).

As for the "why am I doing this," these servers are in an isolated area and
should only be receiving mail from two specific servers that I've added to
the accept list.
0
adam1685 (340)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:57:06 -0800, "adam"
<adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'd like to block all incoming connections by entering 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) in
>the deny list in Exchange 2003's Connection Filtering under Message Delivery,
>but the Okay button is greyed out.  Is this normal?  As a workaround I've
>entered these two entries instead: 1.0.0.0 (128.0.0.0) and 128.0.0.0
>(128.0.0.0).

Yes, that would be normal to not see the OK when entering zero's in
the IP address.

>As for the "why am I doing this," these servers are in an isolated area and
>should only be receiving mail from two specific servers that I've added to
>the accept list.

Thanks for taking the time to say why. So many people just ask how to
do what they think they need to do to achieve what they think they
want.

As for your question. Have yuo considered going to the properties of
the SMTP Virtual Server and then the Access tab, then the Connections
button. You may enter the IP address of the two servers you want to
grant access to this server. Everything else will be unable to
connect.
0
mark7219 (5666)
1/11/2005 8:16:39 PM
Mark,

I need to do the same thing - all mail inbound to my exchange servers
comes from my ISPs smarthost who filters it for us and we'd like to
lock out smtp connections from all other servers.

When you say:
> Yes, that would be normal to not see the OK when entering zero's in
> the IP address.

Typically in IP access lists 0.0.0.0 sm 0.0.0.0 indicates all hosts.
According to a doc I read a while back Exchange checks for host in the
permit list then for hosts in the deny list and there is no "implicit
deny" at the end of the permit list. This being the case it makes sense
to use all 0s on the deny side.

In regard to the work around:

> As for your question. Have yuo considered going to the properties of
> the SMTP Virtual Server and then the Access tab, then the Connections
> button. You may enter the IP address of the two servers you want to
> grant access to this server. Everything else will be unable to
> connect.

This is perfect for what I need to do. The problem is that with
multiple servers it increases the chances of config error. Whereas if
this is done in the message deliver object it can be applied to all
servers.

I'm just curious if this is, in fact, the proper behaviour or a bug
that MS will fix. Otherwise the deny list Adam came up with will work
for us.

On 11 Jan 2005 14:12:03 -0800, "MS Tech" <greaterlogic@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Mark,
>
>I need to do the same thing - all mail inbound to my exchange servers
>comes from my ISPs smarthost who filters it for us and we'd like to
>lock out smtp connections from all other servers.
>
>When you say:
>> Yes, that would be normal to not see the OK when entering zero's in
>> the IP address.
>
>Typically in IP access lists 0.0.0.0 sm 0.0.0.0 indicates all hosts.
>According to a doc I read a while back Exchange checks for host in the
>permit list then for hosts in the deny list and there is no "implicit
>deny" at the end of the permit list. This being the case it makes sense
>to use all 0s on the deny side.

Normal behaviour in terms of it's normal for that window to behave in
that way. Blocking 0.0.0.0 (i.e. everything) is achieved by a single
radio button at the smtp config.

>In regard to the work around:
>
>> As for your question. Have yuo considered going to the properties of
>> the SMTP Virtual Server and then the Access tab, then the Connections
>> button. You may enter the IP address of the two servers you want to
>> grant access to this server. Everything else will be unable to
>> connect.
>
>This is perfect for what I need to do. The problem is that with
>multiple servers it increases the chances of config error. Whereas if
>this is done in the message deliver object it can be applied to all
>servers.

If you are doing multiple servers then you would tend to use a mix of
what Adam was trying to do and the way I suggested he check. Config
errors can creep in anywhere, that is true.

>I'm just curious if this is, in fact, the proper behaviour or a bug
>that MS will fix. Otherwise the deny list Adam came up with will work
>for us.

I don't know if it's a bug but the behavious makes sense to me when I
know that there is an easier, quicker, way to stop inbound traffic
(apart from stopping the service that is)

0
mark7219 (5666)
1/12/2005 7:27:12 AM
Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to go over this. I appreciate your insight
and patience!

Regards,
Gene

HR Business Portal in 9.0
Hello: In Business Portal for GP 9.0, is it possible to generate an alert for an HR administrator to "read" that says that "'this employee' turns x today"? Thanks! childofthe1980s You might want to look at a 3rd party product called Knowledge Sync from Vinyardsoft (www.vinyardsoft.com). I have used it for several years and it is a MUCH stronger business alert system and can do what you are looking for as well as MUCH more. Richard L. Whaley Author/Consultant www.AccoladePublications.com "childothe1980s" wrote: > Hello: > > In Busines...

filtering by form
I have a table that has all my company's clients; is there a way to filter by form to see just the clients that are affiliated with one particular name? (i.e., if a saleperson wanted to see only their clients and pull up each form that contains only his clients, how can that be done?) The answer will depend on how your data is structured, and what version of Access you use. In the Client table, do you have a StaffID field, so that each client is assigned to one sales person? If so, you can just filter on the StaffID field. In Access 2002 and later, if you use a combo for this fiel...

Selective Editing of Nickname list
Anyone know if there's anyway to selectively purge or add to the *.nk2 file that is built by outlook to autocomplete e-mail addresses? I know how to start from scratch but it sure would be nice to edit the list. Thanks John K To remove a single entry, * start a new message * type the partial name you want removed * when outlook suggests a name, use the arrow keys to highlight the entry and press the delete key /neo ps - steps above are for outlook 2002/2003. "John K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1e11201c45554$28f11ac0$a601280a@phx.gb...

CRM 3.0 and firefox browser
when using CRM in the firefox browser, (with an IE plugin), we find that the comments posted by the current user do not register. When you reopen the case it shows the name header of the comment, but the comment itself is blank. Any ideas? Do you experience the same problem using Internet Explorer 6.0 (SP1) or IE 7, which are the only supported web browser? "Tim Bancroft" <Tim Bancroft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96752D04-A997-4482-8B62-F335956E6BA3@microsoft.com... > when using CRM in the firefox browser, (with an IE plugin), we find > that th...

Why is Actual Work updated when entering time into Work Field?
We're using MS Project 2007 and seeing that sometimes when time is entered into the Work field for a task, that task's Actual Work is updated to the same value entered in the Work field. This happens to multiple resources, but only on some of their tasks and not on others. For example, for the weeks of 1/24 and 1/31, whatever hours I schedule (enter in the "work" cell in the Resource Usage View) for a given task also appears in the "actual" cell. The tasks are setup up differently. Some are Fixed Work, some are Fixed Duration. I believe all have the e...

Distribution list does not appear in Contacts. Comes up in To:
Distribution list does not appear in Contacts. Comes up in the "To:" of the message when I put in a few strokes. Why is this? -- Thank you, Don't know - crystal ball got laid off. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Gabe asked: | Distribution list does not appear in Contacts. Comes up in the "To:" | of the message when I put in a few strokes. Why is th...

Delete the contents of a cell if it contains #DIV/0! Automaticall.
I am building an execl sheet that holds production data. Some pieces of equipment only run occasionally and because of this they cause a #DIV/0! error. I want to be able to look through the complete range (a1:di54) of cells and whenver I find the error i want to delete the contents of the cell. I guess this is possible to do using a Visual Basic module but my experience of Visual Basic is limited. Its better to handle the error within the formula itself. If =A1/B1 returns an error change the formula to =IF(N(B1),A1/B1,"") You can try out the below macro. If you...

GP 9.0 in .Net?
Hi, I have news about this, but it is true? Because I don´t find documentation... Where can I find it? Thanks, -- Evelin. No GP 9.0 is not a .Net application. The core code is still Dexterity based. However, the soon to be released Version 9.0 Extensions will include functionality that will allow Visual Studio to use objects exposed from Great Plains. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Business Solutions http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com Any views contained ...

Excel 2003 spreadsheet. I enter the any number and it is entered.
If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 Thank you Mary Mary, Goto Tools>Options and on the Edit tab you should see The Fixed Decimal Places box checked. Uncheck it. -- HTH RP "maryu" <maryu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65C0E0FB-43F3-4F34-8A86-FBA3F02EC9B1@microsoft.com... > If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if > I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 > Thank you > Mary ...

AddSubContact (Crm3.0)
First I have to mention that I really love the new Sdk/ Webservice interface. Code has got lot more readable than before. I want to do something really simple: CrmService service= new CrmService(); service.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials; account Account = new account(); Account.name= „MyCompany“; Guid accountid = service.Create(Account); contact Contact = new contact(); Contact.lastname=”Foobar”; Guid contacted= service.Create(Contact); Now I would like to add the contact to the account and set it as primarycontact. In the old crm 1.2. days I did something l...

5.4.6 and 5.1.0 NDRs
Hello, We have setup our first Exchange 2003 server, in a an Exchange 5.5 org, and sent a test email to all of our mailboxes to see if everything was ok from the Exchange 2003 server. However, 144 mailboxes returned a 5.4.6 NDR and several returned a 5.1.0 NDR message. Does anyone know how to resolve this? As usual my boss wants Exchange 2003 setup company wide yesterday, so any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance Ste Sounds like some kind of routing loop. Can you post some information regarding the corresponding event log entries and your Exchange design. Nue &quo...

Nested Filters in MS Project
Is there a way to do Nested Filtering in MS Project. I know and have used simultaneous filters in Primavera, like applying two or more filters in a boolean "And" or "Or" conditions. How do I do that in MS Project. I have separate filters for segregating data and would like to use a combination of different filters to get to the report I need. Please advice... -- Thank you IMS addendum/clarification to above question... I do not want to use a single Filter and get lost in the nesting filtering conditions as they will be too many, and I'm would ...

getting consolidate list of "follow up" items
Dear All, I would like to get a consolidated list of items (sent and received mails)that have matured - i.e. whose follow up time is up. I have the habit of tagging a sent mail (after actually sending) for follow up. Similarly, mails received are also tagged for my further action (for follow up). Would appreciate a consolidated follow up report generation way - rather that opening each folder and looking for mature items (i.e. red). Thanks in advance. Sanjay ...

Filter records by date in subform by date entered in mainform.
Hello, I've spent 3 days trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.....Here is the summary of my problem. I have a form named 'frm_EfficiencyStats' and a subform within the form named 'qry_Total hours subform' (the subform is based on a query). The form contains a text box (for date) which is bound to a table 'tbl_EfficiencyStats'. I would like to be able to enter a date in the text box on my form, and display the records in the subform based on the date I entered in the text box. The subform will only pull records from my table based on the date. Here are th...

how to enter simple list and sum
using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative numbers and then create a cell with the sum of these values? if the list would look like this 0.58 -1.22 1.79 -0.56 -0.92 the output would look something like 0.58 0.58 -1.22 -0.64 1.79 1.15 -0.56 0.59 -0.92 -0.33 John In B1 enter =A1 In B2 enter =B1+A2 Copy down to B5 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 16 May 2007 06:34:13 +0300, "John" <johnj@multipl.es> wrote: >using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system >how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative...

how can I get all my old emails from ACT 6.0 into Outlook 2003?
I have ACT 6.0 and I keep a lot of emails for reference. I want to switch to Outlook 2003 but want to somehow get all those old emails into Outlook. Can that be done? Thanks! Melissa Can ACT export messages to a file, and if so, what file types can it export to? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "mblair" wrote: > I have ACT 6.0 and I keep a lot of emails for reference. I want to switch to > Outlook 2003 but want to somehow get all ...

CRM 4.0 Email Attachment more than 8 MB
Hi, I have done the below steps to change the attachment size to 10 MB. 1.Open the application web.config (C:\Inetpub\CRM\web.config). 2. Locate the <httpRuntime> key within the <system.web> element and change the values to the following: <httpRuntime executionTimeout="9999" maxRequestLength="10240"/> 3. Locate the <httpRuntime> key within the <system.web> element of the <location path='MSCRMServices"> element, and change it to the following: <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="10240"/> 4.Save and close the we...

Change Discount List
I'm trying to change our discount lists (about 21, applied to over 40 Products & 2 Price Lists) from percentage to $. Can I do this on-the-fly? It doesn't appear so. If not, should I (in order): 1 Create New Disc List 2 Associate new Disc List with appropriate Products 3 Delete Old Discount Lists Has anyone done this before? This is going to be a HUGE project, and am looking for any tips I can get. Thanks. ...

Resource Units for Tasks entered in PWA differs than tasks entered in Project 2007
Hello, I have an ePM user asking why if he enters a project task in PWA does it not check the resource max units allocation the same way as when he enters a task in Project Professional. For example: You have a project where resource A is 50% allocated. When you create a task in Project Professional for this resource, the resource allocation is set to 50%. Create a task under the same project in PWA, submit and approve the task. Open project professional and view the task information for the task entered in PWA, why is the resource allocation set to 100% instead of 50% set for th...

Enter formula by code.
Hi All can anyone help. I cant seem to get this to work. I keep getting run time error 1004 application or object defined error. Public Sub TLIdentify() finalrow = Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("AV26:AV" & finalrow).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(OR(RC[-38]>0,RC[-32]>0,RC[-26]>0,RC[-20]>0,RC[-14]>0,RC[-8]>0,RC[-2]>0),VLOOKUP(RC4,'Team Summary'!R4C3:R16C4,2,0),"")" End Sub -- Regards and Thanks for any assistance. Francis Brown...

4.0 Upgrade
We are currently still on v1.2 due to multiple upgrade issues. Once those issues are resolved, should we expect to have to upgrade to 3.0 before upgrading to 4.0 (once it is released) or will we have the option to go from 1.2 to 4.0? Hello, Upgrade from 1.2 to 4.0 will probably not be supported. The way to go is to first upgrade to 3.0. Best regards, Merijn van Mourik "sysadminnewbie" wrote: > We are currently still on v1.2 due to multiple upgrade issues. Once those > issues are resolved, should we expect to have to upgrade to 3.0 before > upgrading to 4.0 (on...

Filtering #2
Hi, I want to make the results of using Excel filtering feature from one spreadsheet to appear on the next spreadsheet. The filtered results may reflect data from different row number. My intent is to make the results appearing second spreadsheet and in continuous row number. kc Filter the list. Then Edit>Go To>Special>visible cells. Then Copy, and Paste where you like. Andy "kc" <kianchoon.chew@infineum.com> wrote in message news:0e6d01c3577d$73e398d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > I want to make the results of using Excel filtering > feature from one s...

Use of XPath 2.0 functions in XPathNavigator

Can not use contact list in Mail Merge
When trying to import a contact list to use in Mail Mrge, from Microsoft Outlook, I get the following message: " Either there is no default mail client or current mai client cannot fullfil the messaging request. Please run outlook and set it as the default mail client" I did that and I get the same messagE. Mike I don't understand what you are trying to do. List the precise steps. There is no need to import a list from Outlook for a mail merge. Your Outlook Contacts can serve as a data source for a merge. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mike E" <epsteinmb@wor...

Entering a dollar amount w/out having to enter the decimal
What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I have to enter is the numbers? It's one of the options you can specify. In Excel 2007, it's: Excel Options...>Advanced>Automatically insert a decimal point Regards, Fred "Julieanne" <Julieanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AABE398-3B77-4ACD-8938-05ED7F5CC58E@microsoft.com... > What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I > have to enter is the numbers? ...