Enabling Circular Logging

Hi all.  I am performing backups of my exchange DB's over the internet
starting today.  The company I am doing this with suggested enabling circular
logging on the Exchange server to avoid backing up unnesseccary data and to
svae over the wire bamdwidth.  Can anyone explain to me what it is, and how
to enble it?  I have Exchange 2003 standard server with SP1. Thanks!!!!
0
redrobit (25)

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:51:01 -0800, "redrobit"
<redrobit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all.  I am performing backups of my exchange DB's over the internet
>starting today.  The company I am doing this with suggested enabling circular
>logging on the Exchange server to avoid backing up unnesseccary data and to
>svae over the wire bamdwidth.  Can anyone explain to me what it is, and how
>to enble it?  I have Exchange 2003 standard server with SP1. Thanks!!!!

Tell them to pound sand.
Unless these servers have no mailboxes, transaction logs will help you
restore to the point of failure.  I would recommend that you *do not*
do this.

0
adavid (8731)
12/23/2005 4:56:50 PM
"redrobit" <redrobit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all.  I am performing backups of my exchange DB's over the internet
> starting today.  The company I am doing this with suggested enabling
> circular
> logging on the Exchange server to avoid backing up unnesseccary data and
> svae over the wire bamdwidth.  Can anyone explain to me what it is, and
> how
> to enble it?  I have Exchange 2003 standard server with SP1. Thanks!!!!

CL is generally considered a Bad Thing :

http://www.outlookexchange.com/articles/GuyThomas/circular_logging.asp

Lee.

--
___________________________________

Outlook Web Access for PDA and WAP:
www.leederbyshire.com
___________________________________

0
Lee
12/23/2005 4:59:07 PM
Thanks Lee!!

"Lee Derbyshire [MVP]" wrote:

> "redrobit" <redrobit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all.  I am performing backups of my exchange DB's over the internet
> > starting today.  The company I am doing this with suggested enabling
> > circular
> > logging on the Exchange server to avoid backing up unnesseccary data and
> > svae over the wire bamdwidth.  Can anyone explain to me what it is, and
> > how
> > to enble it?  I have Exchange 2003 standard server with SP1. Thanks!!!!
>
> CL is generally considered a Bad Thing :
>
> http://www.outlookexchange.com/articles/GuyThomas/circular_logging.asp
>
> Lee.
>
> --
> ___________________________________
>
> Outlook Web Access for PDA and WAP:
> www.leederbyshire.com
> ___________________________________

0
redrobit (25)
12/23/2005 5:05:01 PM
Is circular logging enabled by default?  Sounds like I do not want to do this!!

"Andy David" wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:51:01 -0800, "redrobit"
> <redrobit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all.  I am performing backups of my exchange DB's over the internet
> >starting today.  The company I am doing this with suggested enabling circular
> >logging on the Exchange server to avoid backing up unnesseccary data and to
> >svae over the wire bamdwidth.  Can anyone explain to me what it is, and how
> >to enble it?  I have Exchange 2003 standard server with SP1. Thanks!!!!
>

> Tell them to pound sand.
> Unless these servers have no mailboxes, transaction logs will help you
> restore to the point of failure.  I would recommend that you *do not*
> do this.

0
redrobit (25)
12/23/2005 5:05:02 PM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:05:02 -0800, "redrobit"
<redrobit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is circular logging enabled by default?  Sounds like I do not want to do this!!
	nope. Not in E200x. There is a reason for this!

>"Andy David" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:51:01 -0800, "redrobit"
>> <redrobit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi all.  I am performing backups of my exchange DB's over the internet
>> >starting today.  The company I am doing this with suggested enabling circular
>> >logging on the Exchange server to avoid backing up unnesseccary data and to
>> >svae over the wire bamdwidth.  Can anyone explain to me what it is, and how
>> >to enble it?  I have Exchange 2003 standard server with SP1. Thanks!!!!
>>

>> Tell them to pound sand.
>> Unless these servers have no mailboxes, transaction logs will help you
>> restore to the point of failure.  I would recommend that you *do not*
>> do this.

0
adavid (8731)
12/23/2005 5:08:24 PM
Great, I wont even worry about it then!!  Thanks for the great help!!

"Andy David" wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:05:02 -0800, "redrobit"
> <redrobit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Is circular logging enabled by default?  Sounds like I do not want to do this!!
> 	nope. Not in E200x. There is a reason for this!
>

> >"Andy David" wrote:

> >> Tell them to pound sand.
> >> Unless these servers have no mailboxes, transaction logs will help you
> >> restore to the point of failure.  I would recommend that you *do not*
> >> do this.

0
redrobit (25)

SMTP connector with outbound security enabled, enables authentication for all other connectors!!?!
Hi, *I have so far tested this on two Exchange Orgs. One being our live platform and the other our test enviroment. Both are running Active Directory native mode for 2003, with Exchange 2003 and Exchange SP1*. Right this is my scenario: I have two SMTP connectors, one is the default 'Internet' with a cost of 1 and address space of *. The other is called 'Admin users' has the a cost of 20 with the address space of * also. Our Front end exchange servers; let's call them: 'EXFE1 and EXFE2' are the local bridgeheads for both connectors. The Internet connector by de...

Enable automatic query refresh for all workbooks?
I know there's a way (according to a KB article on Office 2000 SR1), and in Office XP I must have turned this off somehow, since my workbook didn't ask me everytime if it should refresh or not, but I can't seem to find where this checkbox is in Office 2003! This checkbox has been removed in XL2003 for security reasons. You cannot off the prompt using the XL interface. Modifying the following registry key will give you the same effect: Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options Key: QuerySecurity Values: 0 = Prompt on all workbooks 1 = Do Not Prom...

Enabling Circular Logging
Hi all. I am performing backups of my exchange DB's over the internet starting today. The company I am doing this with suggested enabling circular logging on the Exchange server to avoid backing up unnesseccary data and to svae over the wire bamdwidth. Can anyone explain to me what it is, and how to enble it? I have Exchange 2003 standard server with SP1. Thanks!!!! On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:51:01 -0800, "redrobit" <redrobit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all. I am performing backups of my exchange DB's over the internet >starting today. The compa...

eConnect and Misc logs
Does anyone has a VB.NET app that loads Misc logs using eConnect? My users want a reoccurring solution to import Excel "Misc Log" data into GP. Anyone have a eConnect demo or sample app I could see? We use GP 8.0 & eConnect 8.0.4. And I have Visual Studio 2005 & 2003 available to me. ------=_NextPart_0001_2CAE9A49 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, Unfortunately, the sample code is for other transaction types. Nothing available for misc logs at present. Depending upon what version you are looking at, the document sender may have some s...

Enable macros
I've got a fairly compex workbook with lots of named ranges. I've been using and updating this WB for over a year. All of a sudden, I now get the following message every time I enter something in any field: "The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros." I don't have any macros in this workbook. Les ...

IE6
I inadvertently checked the "Do not show me this message again" box, but, as I like to know when I am being re-directed to or from a secure site, I would like to re-enable it. Is is possible, please? Kate Kate wrote: > I inadvertently checked the "Do not show me this message again" box, > but, as I like to know when I am being re-directed to or from a secure > site, I would like to re-enable it. Is is possible, please? Have you looked at the settings for the security zone (probably the Internet security zone) under which the unidentified web...

NNTP Log entries
My event log is full of NNTP "ID 420" messages that just simply say that NNTP had received "x" number of messages. Is there a way to stop it from doing these entries? If there are problems, then I want the problems logged,...but I don't need and entry every 60 seconds for a status report on the number of messages that passed,... it is just needless clutter. Is there a way to turn that off? -- Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA] www.wandtv.com ...

Determining if hibernation is enabled
Hi, I'm using SetSuspendState(TRUE, FALSE, FALSE) to put the pc in into hibernation, which only works if hibernation is enabled. How can I determine whether hibernation is enabled before calling, so I can report as much to my users? I'm working with VS2008, targetting XP and Vista. Thanks, Steph IsPwrHibernateAllowed\ GetPwrCapabilities or CallNtPowerInformation(Maybe it's better way) "Steph" <steph@newsgroups.nospam> д����Ϣ news:92169931-7711-41D8-A88E-6C6092343D40@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I'm using SetSuspendState(TRUE, FALSE, FALSE) to put...

set enable & disable of button (VC 6.0)
Hello, For VC 6.0 (MFC) : How can I set the enable/disable state of that button ? Thanks :) this is not going to work buddy ....... read a book ..... "Eitan M" <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote in message news:ewfJoieGHHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello, > For VC 6.0 (MFC) : > How can I set the enable/disable state of that button ? > > Thanks :) > hi Eitan, Try following, //To Enable button...at run time ...IDB_MYBUTTON is ID of your botton GetDlgItem(IDB_MYBUTTON)->EnableWindow(TRUE); //To Disab...

Enable/disable EDIT Menu's PASTE item according to clipboarb's format
Env: Windows2000, VC++6.00, MFC, . I have a CView based application, which deals with BITMAP. Since application can receive pasting operation coming from clipboard only for BITMAP format, so I hope that ID_EDIT_PASTE item on "Edit" Menu and ID_EDIT_PASTE button on toolbar can be enabled/disabled automatically according to the current clipboard format. I know I can do that if I put IsClipboardFormatAvailable(CF_BITMAP) into ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI(ID_EDIT_PASTE, OnUpdateEditPaste) as follows, void CMainFrame::OnUpdateEditPaste(CCmdUI* pCmdUI) { pCmdUI->Enable( IsClipboardFormatAva...

Business Portal 2.5 Can't Log in as Admin
I installed BP 2.5 (TYPICAL install NOT Server Farm) on a server as a user who was a local admin but not a Domain Admin. This user also installed WSS. I can create websites in WSS admin because the user is also the site owner. However when I try to administer BP, through the Site Settings tab on the main BP page (http://webservername/Sites/BusinessPortal) I receive the windows login challenge (which I should because I chose to use enhanced security), but it won't accept my username and password and after three challenges the site setting page does render and I can go go to other admin p...

RE-Enabled Acconts
OK, I have read dozens of messages about users not being able to access their accounts if they were dis-abled then re-enabled. Nothing definitive for an answer though.. Some have said WAIT.. My question is how long to wait? I do know that if I re-boot the exchange server they get their access back, so I am thinking it is a wait thing, but in one instance I had waited 1 hour... What is happening? Carl it can actually take up to 2 hours for the re-enabling to take effect... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Carl Hilton" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:uib71bezGHA....

Can you Mail-Enable/Disable Users by OU?
I was wondering if there was a way to mail-enable/disable users by OU or group in Exchange 2000? I have one 2000 domain with 800 or so users, but I only want 100 of them to have mailboxes. I know when you install Exchange it asks you which users you want to mail-enable. But I was wondering if there was a way to maintain this after the fact, say by saying everyone in a particular OU has a mailbox. Also, are there any security measure that I should take with regards to securing the Exchange server to the ~700 users who don't have mailboxes and should have any access to the Exchange serve...

Enable Override price
Hi It is possible to enable the Override pricing function on the Order form. We have noticed that the pricing of the order is greyed out if the order is associated with a quote. It is possible to enable this functionality through the use of Jscript using the OnLoad event. Thanks Mark Hi Mark, You can't change the order form. But you can use Write-In products for quote and order. then you can change the price of the product to reflect the price chage for an order. Darren Liu Crowe http://www.crowecrm.com On Sep 19, 9:58 am, Mark Braithwaite <MarkBraithwa...@discussions.microsof...

lin-log-lin chart problem
Hi, I have two sets of data and I am plotting both on the same chart. I need them to have separate y axes, because they have different ranges. When I select one data set and force it onto a secondary y-axis, it stops plotting on the log-x axis, and instead plots over an imaginary linear x axis. So, for instance, value x=4871 y=1.29 plots at 1.29 on the secondary y axis and at about 900 on the log x axis. Anyone know of a fix? Thanks -Tom Paste your data into a response to this post, both sets of data, so we can better understand the problem. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft ...

Vertical tab control with owner draw enabled
Hi I have a tab control with owner draw enabled in which I am drawing a icon and a text. It works perfectly fine when the TCS_VERTICAL option is not selected. But when I select TCS_VERTICAL option I am not able to see the text. Could anyone knows a solution for this? Regards ...

How to enable debug?
Dear all, I'd be interested in enabling debug for RAS/PPP module. This is the very first time I try to enable debug messages, hence I am quite sure I am missing something :( What I have done: - run a build in DEBUG mode (from configuratiin manager) - my build has Target Control Support module (this shall enable abilita SYSGEN_SHELL) -the following build options are enables: Enable Kernel Debugger e Enable KITL Result: On COM1 (my debug port) I keep on seing exacly the same messages I see also in Retail mode. What's wrong? I have been reading around and it l...

Cannot connect to FileShares after enabling Win Firewall on SBS200
Hello A user has been on to his SBS2003 as administrator and turned on the Windows Firewall which also enables Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Now they cannot access mapped drives or browse the SBS network (but they can login and authenticate OK) even though Windows firewall is now turned off on the SBS server. Any ideas on what's gone wrong here and how to fix it? Run the Internet Connection Wizard....that should fix it. Tami "gocat2005" wrote: > Hello > > A user has been on to his SBS2003 as administrator and turned on the Windows ...

Convert Mail Enabled to MailBox Enabled
Does anyone know how to programically convert a mail enabled user to a mailbox enabled user? Any help would be appreciated Have you tried using the CDOEXM CreateMailbox method as per this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327079 -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Bob Smith" <BobSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A063BC22-5510-4564-8CE2-A6269FE29958@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know how to programically convert a mail enabled user to a > mailbox enabled user? > > Any help woul...

Can't re-enable microphoine array
Folks- I run run Vista Home Premium SP2 on a Dell XPS M1730 with built in microphones(2). I inadvertently disabled the Sigmatel Hi Def Audio microphones from: CONTROL-PANEL\SOUND\RECORDING\CONFIGURE I expected the microphone array would appear with a CONFIGURE option to enable it...but it no longer appears under RECORDING and I can't figure out how to get it back. Any suggestions? Thanks. -Gary ...

Enabling Macros
Hi Wrote a couple of macros to move some emails around in outlook 2003, these worked fine for a couple of days, now it reports macros are disabled - tried reinstalling vba in shared applications no different. Help says look in tools-options-security for macros,no sign of anything there (at all) what can I do to get macros working again?? Nik V Help, About... disabled items - see if the VBA addin is disabled. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engine...

Office 2004 11.1.0 Update Log
Now that I have updated Office 2004 to 11.1.0 I would like to delete the annoying log file on my hard drive. I have tried to delete it with no success. I even unlocked the file and changed the ownership to no avail. Why can't I delete it? Please help. On 11/16/04 2:02 AM, in article 984fc4de.0411160202.764ad1c5@posting.google.com, "David Shelton" <DavidDShelton@hotmail.com> wrote: > Now that I have updated Office 2004 to 11.1.0 I would like to delete > the annoying log file on my hard drive. I have tried to delete it > with no success. I even unlocked the f...

Connection Filtering Log?
I have my Exchange 2003 server set to perform a connection filtering to limit some of the spammer connections....works fine. Is there a way to have an event log of the refused connections so that I can perform troubleshooting, if needed? Thanks. -Rob T. Enable SMTP Protocol logging on the properties of the Default SMTP Virtual Server. It won't log it to your event logs, but it should log to the smtp logfile. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Rob T" <RTorcellini@DONTwalchemSPAM.com> wrote in message news:eF7CD0rZFHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I ha...

enabling buttons...
Thanks for all good help you guys offer! I have a listbox form that displays a list used for multiple reasons. I.E. it lists templates and you can select them to be modified, to view a summary, etc. This listbox is launched from other forms. Question: Is there a way to have multiple buttons on this list box but only enable certain ones depending on which form launched it? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Hi wabit, I've never heard of having buttons on a list box, but you can certainly have buttons on a form. Yes, these could be enabled depending on wh...

Mail Enabled AD objects
I am currently working in a test lab with Exchange 2003 installed on the same computer with Windows 2003 which is also a DC. I am migrating user accounts from another Windows NT 4.0 domain. Everytime I migrate an account to the new AD Domain it automatically creates a mail enabled object for the user account. Is there any way to turn that off? Thanks Ross Are you using ADMT? I think there's an option in ADMT to create mailboxes. Not 100% sure but doublecheck. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this ...