Empty Custom Dynamic Dist. Group - Exchange 2007

Hi all,

We are currently trying to finalize our Exchange 2007 deployment but have
hit a few problems we can't figure out.
The main problem is empty dynamic distribution groups (setup to use a custom
filter)
I run the following PS command;

set-dynamicdistributiongroup -Identity 'AllStaff' -RecipientFilter
{(Description -eq 'Staff User' -or Description -eq 'System Administrators')}

The command completes without errors but there are no users in this
distribution group when I view its members in OWA..
I have copied the msExchDynamicDLFilter property to ADUC Saved Queries and I
get returned with the expected users!

Any ideas on what could be wrong ?

Help would really be appreciated as we are rapidly approaching d-day :)

Cheers!
0
Sutton (2)

Neil Sutton <Neil Sutton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We are currently trying to finalize our Exchange 2007 deployment but have
>hit a few problems we can't figure out.
>The main problem is empty dynamic distribution groups (setup to use a custom
>filter)
>I run the following PS command;
>
>set-dynamicdistributiongroup -Identity 'AllStaff' -RecipientFilter
>{(Description -eq 'Staff User' -or Description -eq 'System Administrators')}
>
>The command completes without errors but there are no users in this
>distribution group when I view its members in OWA..

That's because there aren't any members. The QBDL uses a LDAP query to
get the AD objects that match the filter each time the QBDL is used.

This is the same behavior as E2K3.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Cheers
Neil
Ok, I've just done some more playing and have found;

- DDG created using EMC can be sent to perfectly (one that just picks all
Mailbox users from an OU)

- Running the command in EMS to show DDG members gives the following error;

Get-Recipient : Cannot bind parameter 'Filter' to the target. Exception
setting
 "Filter": ""Description" is not a recognized filterable property. For a
comple
te list of filterable properties see the command help.
"(((RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox' -and Description -eq 'Staff User') -or
Desc
ription -eq 'System Administrators') -and -not(Name -like 'SystemMailbox{*')
-an
d -not(Name -like 'CAS_{*'))" at position 41."
At line:1 char:22
+ Get-Recipient -Filter  <<<< $TestDDG.RecipientFilter

So from that I guess I have something wrong with the syntax/properties of my
filter query... can anyone spot the problem?
I am truely stumped!
Neil Sutton <NeilSutton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ok, I've just done some more playing and have found;
>
>- DDG created using EMC can be sent to perfectly (one that just picks all
>Mailbox users from an OU)
>
>- Running the command in EMS to show DDG members gives the following error;
>
>Get-Recipient : Cannot bind parameter 'Filter' to the target. Exception
>setting
> "Filter": ""Description" is not a recognized filterable property. For a
>comple

A cmdlet isn't an LDAP query. :-)

					[ snip ]

>So from that I guess I have something wrong with the syntax/properties of my
>filter query... can anyone spot the problem?
>I am truely stumped!

What does the LDAP query (the contents of the group's
msExchDynamicDLFilter property) look like?

Without actually constructing one, it should look /something/ like
this:
(&(!cn=SystemMailbox{*})
  (& (mailnickname=*)
     (| (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)
        (|(description=Staff User)
          (description=System Administrators)
        )
     )
  )
  )
)

I hope all the parenthesis are there and in the right place!

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

I just fired up ADSIEdit to lookup the values for 'msExchDynamicDLFilter'
and happened to notice 'msExchDynamicDLBaseDN' was set to and OU below where
my test account resides.
I changed this accordingly and now the group appears to be working! :)
This must have been set when the group was created and I have been blindly
changing the filter and trying to figure out why it wouldn't work!

Thanks for you help.
Neil Sutton <NeilSutton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just fired up ADSIEdit to lookup the values for 'msExchDynamicDLFilter'
>and happened to notice 'msExchDynamicDLBaseDN' was set to and OU below where
>my test account resides.
>I changed this accordingly and now the group appears to be working! :)
>This must have been set when the group was created and I have been blindly
>changing the filter and trying to figure out why it wouldn't work!

BTDT. :-)

FYI, using unindexed properties in QBDLs really slows things down. It
may not be noticible in a small AD, but having to look at every AD
object of a certain type to test the values can put a pretty big load
on a DC.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Moderated public folder custom reply
Hi, I am having problems with setting up a moderated public folder. When I try to set a custom reply I get the following error: "Unable to save the moderated folder changes. The client was unable to successfully complete all of the requested operations." I have read that the moderator(s) need to have permission to "Send as" the public folder, but the "Directory Rights" button in Exchange System Manager is greyed out for this public folder (I believe this is the correct place to set this permission). Can anyone shed any light on this problem - am I right in...

Empty the Inbox
Is there a better way to empty all messages in the Inbox than holding down the Cntrl key? Just used the laptop after several months, and it downloaded all the old emails on the server. Using Windows Outlook Express. -- kbob This is not the Outlook Express newsgroup, but anyway: If you want to delete all the Inbox messages, highlight one header viewing in the Preview Pane, and Ctrl + A will highlight them all. Delete all in one motion. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "k. bob" <kbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Word 2007 cursor doesn't work
I would have sworn I posted this question a few days ago, but I never heard anything and now can't find my post. Sorry if this is a duplicate. Word 2007 has been getting flakier and flakier. The latest is that the cursor won't move with the mouse. Only responds to keyboard commands. Excel is also getting a bit weird but not as bad. Decided to reinstall from my purchased Office Standard 2007 CD. Setup aborts early on saying it had encountered a problem. No option to uninstall in Control Panel>Programs. Looked at a post suggestion deleting rgstrtn.lck, but ...

Looping until empty column
Here is my dilemma. I can do VBA in Access, but for some reason I jus don't get it in excel. What I want to do is go down a column and stor that info in a variable. I want this to happen untill there is no mor data. Once I have that data I want to go to another page and store th data in an empty column. I want the program to auto. find the empt column. Thank You in advance. thegu -- thegu ----------------------------------------------------------------------- theguz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2491 View this thread: http://www.excelforum....

My home and Student 2007 wont uninstall
I am trying to install Microsoft office Ultimate, and it will not correctly install. I believe it is because I have the trial version of home and student installed. When I use the remove programs under programs and features, it says it did not uninstall correctly. Is there another way to uninstall it? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us "sallyt" <sallyt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B877825A-322B-4B22-953D-A8D3155D7871@microsoft.com... >I am trying to install Microsoft office Ultimate, and it will not correctly > install. I b...

Dynamics GP 10 Trial Version Manufacturing Modules
Is there some sort of magic at install time to enable Manufacturing in the trial version? Or (better) a way to install it from a working trial version? Thanks -- Walter ...

pst file appears empty
Hello all! I have a 450 MB pst file, that appears empty in OL98. I have run scanpst several times, did not help. I changed the first byte of the file from 21 to 00 with a hex editor and ran scanpst, it did report errors, fixed them and still no help. I tried exmerge, which reported succesful import, but did not actually retrieve anything from the pst file. Mdbvu32 also shows that the stuff is in there. It seems that the problem is quite common, but does anyone have a solution, how to fix it. Please help! Harri ...

Employee Barcode scan IN and OUT using Access 2007
I have been working on a project where an employee's scans IN with a barcode ID and scans OUT with barcode. My problem is when they scan in I want to see who is scaning in and out without opening and closeing the form to refresh each time. My question is can you have two forms "Scan IN form" and "List form" active at the same time so someone can just sit and monitor who is coming in and out without doing anything to the PC. If anyone has any ideas or have sean any templates like this please let me know. Thanks for any help. -- Message posted via AccessMons...

Empty Cell not empty
If I use the following formula: =IF(B25="","",B25+C25) in Column U all the way down to Row 20000 to create a new value... (Column B has a date and Column C has a Time) and then copy and paste Column U to Column T as values, I see empty cells in Column T once my data runs out (presently around Row 40. However....if I use the CountA function,it is telling me that I have data in Column T all the way down to Row 20000. Since this combined Date/Time is being used as X Axis data it is screwing up the graph because Excel thinks those cells are Jan 1, 1900 when in fact...

Removed viso 2010 Beta
HI, I've porbably done somehting stupid and can't find it on the support board. I am successfully running Office 2007, and a few weeks ago added Visio 2010 Beta - all worked well, HOwveer I recently noticed that a specific applacition that uses the Offcie PIA, Mindjet's mindmanager stopped syncing Outlook tasks etc with outlook. Mindjet support stated: 'Microsoft does not support a mixed Office environment. When you installed the Visio 2010 beta, it likely installed Office 2010 Primary Interop Assemblies. These are the hooks from Microsoft that allow our ...

Custom toolbar
Would someone be kind enough to explain to me how I go about saving a custom toolbar so it is available for all workbooks? TIA LB -- Instead of saving a customized toolbar, I think it's easier to have a workbook build it whenever it opens. And since you want it available to every workbook, you can put it in your XLStart folder. John Walkenbach has a very nice program that actually adds some items to the worksheet menubar--it looks very neat and is easy to update. It's his MenuMaker program: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip53.htm Linda Bennett wrote: > > Would someo...

Outlook 2003 upgrade questions; "Grouping" view and OST file ...
Just upgraded Office from 2002 (XP) to 2003; a couple of questions arise: 1) Outlook icon is no longer on the desktop?? this wasn't just a shortcut; used to be able to use it to set profile options; have to do this from control panel now? 2) Every folder in Outlook (including public Exchange folders) is sorted by "Sent date", as intended, but now they are also "Group by" (View-Arrange by-Show in Groups). I hate this, and I can turn it off one folder at a time, but I have > 200 public folders!! How can I turn this foolishness off for all folders in one swoop? 3...

Customize standard task form
is it possible to customize the task form with a user defined field and call on this form when you click New... in task view? Yes, see http://www.outlookcode.com/d/taskform.htm and http://www.outlookcode.com/d/newdefaultform.htm -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Spencer Hutton" <shutton@dwhomes.com> wrote in message news:uMcO2ju4EHA.3388@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > is it possible to customize the task form with a user d...

About customization
Hi! I NEED TO PROGRAM A FUNCTION THAT ALLOWS TO FIND ALL PRODUCTS BOUGHT BY A CLIENT . SOMEBODY HAS ANY CODIG THAT CAN HELP ME? THANKS! Sounds like you need the product side tab which you can see on this list http://www.customereffective.com/interior.asp?n=3&p=0&s=3 ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Yexy" <Yexy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D106B871-75EC-4A30-BE76-C9A2D84DE9FF@microsoft.com... > Hi! > I NEED TO PROGRAM A FUNCTION THAT ALLOWS TO FIND ALL PRODUCTS BOUGHT BY...

Custom window attributes
I am attempting to set my main window (MFC generated) with certain attributes. Here is the list. 1. Borderless 2. No title/caption bar 3. No resize 4. No taskbar button So far, I have the border down to almost nothing, but as soon as it is resized, it appears (once the scrollbars appear). TF ...

Hyperlinks in Visio 2007
Hi I am creating a hyperlink to a document from my visio image (INSERT-->Hyperlinks, check the relative path option). The document used for hyperlink will be avaliable sometime later in my code. I used to do the operation in Visio 2003 and it works fine. Now if I do the same operation in Visio 2007 then nothing works for me. On comparing the gif_1.htm files I found that the file created by visio 2007 got the extra string ../ in HREF section (Just before the document name). This extra part is causing my program to fail. As per the FAQ of Visio 2003 and Visio 2007, both the visio vers...

Outlook 2007 problem sending email
Sometimes when I send an email in 2007, it sits in my inbox instead of being sent. If I open it in my outbox before it gets sent out, it never goes out even when I click the send again. I never had a problem with this in 2003. Is there a setting or something that would cause this in 2007. The only way I can get these emails to go is to completely redo the email. Any ideas? Thanks. Jayme The problem actually did exist before Outlook 2007. See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/outbox.htm for a workaround and more information on what might be causing this. -- Jocelyn Fiorello M...

deleted calendar outlook 2007
I had multiple calendars and mistakeningly deleted one that I wanted. I know that it is in my deleted items but I don't see it. Can you help? ccrider;113633 Wrote: > I had multiple calendars and mistakeningly deleted one that I wanted. I > know > that it is in my deleted items but I don't see it. Can you help? Display the Navigation Pane in the All Folders view. You should see a plus sign to the left of Deleted Items. Click it and you should see your calendar, which you cna drag back to the root of the folder set that should hold it. -- Brian Til...

Empty Excel file is too large
I have deleted all sheets, and contents from my excel file, but it's still 2Meg in size. When I zip it, it's only 90K Bytes. (A blank excel file is usually 90K Bytes) Why is my empty file so large? It was originally 5 Meg, and I deleted all sheets, formulas, and VB codes. Right now there is nothing (except one empty sheet), but the size is still 2M. Please respond. Sometimes what I find is that Excel counts unused rows as part of the file size. So what I do is highlight all the rows from the first unused one to the last one, i.e. ctrl+g to bring up the goto box, then Ax:a65536,...

Custom view creation and mass deployment
Hi, Is there no way to mass deploy a "my view" created in Advanced find? Regards -- Warren O ...

Contacts dialogue box shows up empty
I have an issue with Outlook Pro installed on my main PC that is not recognizing contacts. They are all there, but when I try to send an email, and I select "to" the contacts dialogue box shows up empty. Thanks in advance, Jay Is the Contacts folder selected as an Address List? http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/contactsinaddressbook.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -FREE tool; QuickMail. Create new Outlook items anywhere from within Windows -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data ----- "Jay" <nospam_doctorpep...

Group policy is not working
Hi i am using 2003 server and i applied new group policy to disable control panel and linked to OU but its not working on client Is there any security group i need to set for this. and i removed authenticate user from security and added domain user but still not working -- shivaj ------------------------------------------------------------------------ shivaj's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/151956.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/1275608.htm http://forums.techarena.in Hello shivaj, Are the user accounts located i...

customizing India number format
Someone please show me how to build custom number formats for India i.e. how to place a comma after 5 digits as in 'lakhs' or in 'crores'. Pls reply to my email address listed here: anuj@regaliaapparels.com Thank you. Anuj Gupta Try: http://tinyurl.com/l0y8 "Anuj Gupta" <anuj@regaliaapparels.com> wrote in message news:26c501c36a57$dc0526d0$3501280a@phx.gbl... > Someone please show me how to build custom number formats > for India i.e. how to place a comma after 5 digits as > in 'lakhs' or in 'crores'. > > Pls reply to my ema...

Outlook 2007 attachments
I want to turn off the message when I click on a .doc attachment to read it in an email that says "this can be a problem". The check box for stopping this is greyed out. Where do I go to stop this nonsense? Hi, You probably do not have the permissions to modify the registry data needed to disable this prompt. 1. Are you using Windows Vista or Windows XP? 2. What is the exact text of the warning? 3. Are you a member of the local Administrators group? 4. Do you also experience this warning for other files (Excel, PPT, etc.)? -- Thanks greg mansius [MSFT] Microsoft Office ...

ignoring empty???
Hi all, one of my students presented me with the following: "I get a list from another application. There is a column that has either value "yes" or looks like empty. Now, when I want to jump to the next row that has value "yes" I use the shortcut key Ctrl+ArrowDown. However, sometimes when a cell looks like empty there may be a space, with the result that when I need to jump to the next "yes" cell I end up in a cell that has a space. (one that looks empty) So, I used the function Trim to get rid of all the superfluous spaces in an extra column. And al...