Employee Turnover - Exchange Best Practices

I'm trying to figure out the best practice for me to follow when an employee
leaves our organization.  The nature of our business requires that email
sent to a former employee be delivered to an active employee.  I can, of
course, configure forwarding on the mailbox in ADUC, but we would also like
an auto-reply to go out to the sender informing them of the personnel
change.  Additionally, we don't want to keep mailboxes for old employees
indefinitely, so we need to be able to eventually delete the old mailbox
while still ensuring we don't miss any messages addressed to the former
employee.  Based on our needs, as I understand it, this is my solution:

- When an employee leaves, hide the mailbox from Exchange address lists.
- Under Delivery Options for the user account in ADUC, configure forwarding
to the appropriate mailbox.
- For the employee recieving the forwarded emails, configure Outlook with a
rule to auto-reply to sender whenever email is received via the former
employees e-mail address.
- After a predetermined amount of time, delete the former employee's
Exchange mailbox
- Configure an alias for the employee who has been receiving the forwarded
emails that matches the former employee's email address so e-mail messages
addressed to the former employee continue to be delivered to the active
employee.

Is the above really the best solution to managing e-mail messages when an
employee leaves the organization?  Is there a more efficient or effective
method to meeting our needs?  I'm interested in knowing how other admins out
there manage employee turnover within their Exchange organization.

All comments appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

BJ

That'll work. You may want to configure forwarding before you hide from
address list.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"Bryan L" <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out the best practice for me to follow when an
> employee leaves our organization.  The nature of our business requires
> that email sent to a former employee be delivered to an active employee.
> I can, of course, configure forwarding on the mailbox in ADUC, but we
> would also like an auto-reply to go out to the sender informing them of
> the personnel change.  Additionally, we don't want to keep mailboxes for
> old employees indefinitely, so we need to be able to eventually delete the
> old mailbox while still ensuring we don't miss any messages addressed to
> the former employee.  Based on our needs, as I understand it, this is my
> solution:
>
> - When an employee leaves, hide the mailbox from Exchange address lists.
> - Under Delivery Options for the user account in ADUC, configure
> forwarding to the appropriate mailbox.
> - For the employee recieving the forwarded emails, configure Outlook with
> a rule to auto-reply to sender whenever email is received via the former
> employees e-mail address.
> - After a predetermined amount of time, delete the former employee's
> Exchange mailbox
> - Configure an alias for the employee who has been receiving the forwarded
> emails that matches the former employee's email address so e-mail messages
> addressed to the former employee continue to be delivered to the active
> employee.
>
> Is the above really the best solution to managing e-mail messages when an
> employee leaves the organization?  Is there a more efficient or effective
> method to meeting our needs?  I'm interested in knowing how other admins
> out there manage employee turnover within their Exchange organization.
>
> All comments appreciated.
> Thanks in advance,
>
> BJ

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
3/13/2006 3:31:03 PM
We backup the mailbox to a PST on their departure, then setup forwarding.
We do not setup an auto reply, as that's rather impersonal. It only take a
minute for the receiver to send a note "Joe doesn't work here anymore, but
Ill be handling your account".
Then we keep the email address live for 30 days and at the end of 30 days,
dump it. Totally.

"Bryan L" <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out the best practice for me to follow when an
> employee leaves our organization.  The nature of our business requires
> that email sent to a former employee be delivered to an active employee.
> I can, of course, configure forwarding on the mailbox in ADUC, but we
> would also like an auto-reply to go out to the sender informing them of
> the personnel change.  Additionally, we don't want to keep mailboxes for
> old employees indefinitely, so we need to be able to eventually delete the
> old mailbox while still ensuring we don't miss any messages addressed to
> the former employee.  Based on our needs, as I understand it, this is my
> solution:
>
> - When an employee leaves, hide the mailbox from Exchange address lists.
> - Under Delivery Options for the user account in ADUC, configure
> forwarding to the appropriate mailbox.
> - For the employee recieving the forwarded emails, configure Outlook with
> a rule to auto-reply to sender whenever email is received via the former
> employees e-mail address.
> - After a predetermined amount of time, delete the former employee's
> Exchange mailbox
> - Configure an alias for the employee who has been receiving the forwarded
> emails that matches the former employee's email address so e-mail messages
> addressed to the former employee continue to be delivered to the active
> employee.
>
> Is the above really the best solution to managing e-mail messages when an
> employee leaves the organization?  Is there a more efficient or effective
> method to meeting our needs?  I'm interested in knowing how other admins
> out there manage employee turnover within their Exchange organization.
>
> All comments appreciated.
> Thanks in advance,
>
> BJ

0
exchangemvp (657)
3/13/2006 3:31:12 PM
In article <OqUmrIrRGHA.2088@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
 "Bryan L" <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> wrote:

> Is the above really the best solution to managing e-mail messages when an
> employee leaves the organization?  Is there a more efficient or effective
> method to meeting our needs?  I'm interested in knowing how other admins out
> there manage employee turnover within their Exchange organization.

The way I do it (Exchange 2003 SP2) is to disable the user account and
assign SELF full mailbox perms and associated external account.

Usually two things get set, delivery options get set so new mail goes to
whoever is specified, and that person also gets full mailbox access so
they can check any existing mailbox content.  Once the mailbox is in
their folder list I hide the user from the GAL.

Personally I don't like assigning smtp addresses of former staff to
current staff, to my way of thinking it makes it harder to keep track of
who we accept mail for, so when the user tells me they're no longer
receiving anything useful the account gets zapped and that's that.

I don't setup any sort of auto-reply rule, like Martin said it doesn't
take long to send a personal reply.

cheers,
Paul
--
paul@spamcop.net
0

Thanks for the reply.  Could you expand on a couple of things you said?

> The way I do it (Exchange 2003 SP2) is to disable the user account and
> assign SELF full mailbox perms and associated external account.

 It looks like by default SELF has "Read permissions" and "Full mailbox
access" permissions in ADUC.  Do you add additional permissions to SELF, and
why?  And do you simply add the same "Read" and "Full Access" permissions to
the user receiving the forwards?

> ...and that person also gets full mailbox access so
> they can check any existing mailbox content.  Once the mailbox is in
> their folder list I hide the user from the GAL.

So the user typically only accesses the Inbox and not the user's other
folders?  Our users normally need the full mailbox in the beginning, to
access sent items and messages sorted into folders, until they get on top of
what the former employee had going on.  I suppose I could set up another
Outlook profile and have the user select which profile to load each time
he/she starts Outlook, but is there a better way?  OWA is the only way I
know how to give users full access to the former employee's mailbox while
simultaneously keeping their own mailbox open.  Suggestions are welcome.

> Personally I don't like assigning smtp addresses of former staff to
> current staff, to my way of thinking it makes it harder to keep track of
> who we accept mail for, so when the user tells me they're no longer
> receiving anything useful the account gets zapped and that's that.

That sounds good to me; I'll probably do the same.  Thanks.

Bryan

In article <u7xS2etRGHA.1608@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
 "Bryan L" <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Could you expand on a couple of things you said?
>
> > The way I do it (Exchange 2003 SP2) is to disable the user account and
> > assign SELF full mailbox perms and associated external account.
>
>  It looks like by default SELF has "Read permissions" and "Full mailbox
> access" permissions in ADUC.  Do you add additional permissions to SELF, and
> why?  And do you simply add the same "Read" and "Full Access" permissions to
> the user receiving the forwards?

When it's an disabled account then yes, I give SELF the "associated
external account" right.  So far as the person who needs access to
existing mail I make sure they have read permissions and full mailbox
access (the same as the original account).

> > ...and that person also gets full mailbox access so
> > they can check any existing mailbox content.  Once the mailbox is in
> > their folder list I hide the user from the GAL.
>
> So the user typically only accesses the Inbox and not the user's other
> folders?  Our users normally need the full mailbox in the beginning, to
> access sent items and messages sorted into folders, until they get on top of
> what the former employee had going on.  I suppose I could set up another
> Outlook profile and have the user select which profile to load each time
> he/she starts Outlook, but is there a better way?  OWA is the only way I
> know how to give users full access to the former employee's mailbox while
> simultaneously keeping their own mailbox open.  Suggestions are welcome.

It varies.  I usually give them access to the entire mailbox, some will
just check the Inbox, some will have the mailbox in their Outlook folder
list, especially if there are tons of subfolders.

In your case it sounds like you want to add it to the users profile as
an additional mailbox.

Paul
--
paul@spamcop.net
0

1) Disable their AD account and add comment to delete in 30 days
2) e-mail supervisor reminding them of the policy to delete home drive and
mailbox after 30 days and that they need to notify I.T. if the data needs to
be preserved
2) Delete the user from any distribution lists
3) Hide the mailbox from the GAL
4) Delete their external e-mail address (if they have one)
5) Add their external e-mail address to the mailbox of the person covering,
if needed.
6) After 30 days, export the mail to a PST and burn a CD with the PST and
Home Drive files (if required)
7) Delete the AD account, Roaming Profile, Home Drive and mailbox

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Martin Blackstone - MVP" <exchangemvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> We backup the mailbox to a PST on their departure, then setup forwarding.
> We do not setup an auto reply, as that's rather impersonal. It only take a
> minute for the receiver to send a note "Joe doesn't work here anymore, but
> Ill be handling your account".
> Then we keep the email address live for 30 days and at the end of 30 days,
> dump it. Totally.
>

> "Bryan L" <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to figure out the best practice for me to follow when an
>> employee leaves our organization.  The nature of our business requires
>> that email sent to a former employee be delivered to an active employee.
>> I can, of course, configure forwarding on the mailbox in ADUC, but we
>> would also like an auto-reply to go out to the sender informing them of
>> the personnel change.  Additionally, we don't want to keep mailboxes for
>> old employees indefinitely, so we need to be able to eventually delete
>> the old mailbox while still ensuring we don't miss any messages addressed
>> to the former employee.  Based on our needs, as I understand it, this is
>> my solution:
>>
>> - When an employee leaves, hide the mailbox from Exchange address lists.
>> - Under Delivery Options for the user account in ADUC, configure
>> forwarding to the appropriate mailbox.
>> - For the employee recieving the forwarded emails, configure Outlook with
>> a rule to auto-reply to sender whenever email is received via the former
>> employees e-mail address.
>> - After a predetermined amount of time, delete the former employee's
>> Exchange mailbox
>> - Configure an alias for the employee who has been receiving the
>> forwarded emails that matches the former employee's email address so
>> e-mail messages addressed to the former employee continue to be delivered
>> to the active employee.
>>
>> Is the above really the best solution to managing e-mail messages when an
>> employee leaves the organization?  Is there a more efficient or effective
>> method to meeting our needs?  I'm interested in knowing how other admins
>> out there manage employee turnover within their Exchange organization.
>>
>> All comments appreciated.
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> BJ

0
rasilon1 (689)

New Employee
Using Exchange 2000 with Outlook 2003 on XP client We have replaced an employee, setup their new email address, setup user account on Exchange, etc. The former employee's mailbox is still functioning and the current employee is using their account until we switch over. We would like everything in all of the folders in Outlook '03 from the former employee to be transferred to the new employee's Outlook profile/mailbox. The new employee needs to refer to contacts, emails etc from the former employee. We will setup the proper email forwarding, but how do we transfer/copy all current...

New essay: The Best Synchronization is No Synchronization
In response to an earlier post saying that messages should not be used for synchronization and that primitives like mutexes, events, and semaphores were better suited, (note also that CRITICAL_SECTIONs had been omitted from the list, probably an oversight, and timers had been included, for reasons I cannot ascertain because timers have nothing to do with synchronization). I offer a counterargument: these primitives are the assembly code of synchronization, and mechanisms like messages and I/O Completion Ports provide much better alternatives most of the time. We should be searching for highe...

Almost Out of Space
We have about 40MB of free disk space on one of our 5.5 servers. We have been moving larger mailboxes off of the server. What else should we do to free up disk space? Is moving public folders to another server advisable? Could free up about 10GB on that volume potentially......any issues with this? Thanks! If you have been moving mailboxes to another server then you will have a goodly amount of free space in the store. You can do an offline defrag to reduce the physical size of the edb file. You don't necessarily have to find sufficient space on the local machine (although it...

Terminating an Employee
Hello: When you terminate an employee in the Termination window in HR, is the amount paid to the employee in the last pay check prorated based on the "Last Date Worked" field? In other words, does Great Plains prorate pay? Thanks! childofthe1980s No matter which word you use, the answer is the same. GP does not prorate. -- Charles Allen, MVP "childofthe1980s" wrote: > Hello: > > When you terminate an employee in the Termination window in HR, is the > amount paid to the employee in the last pay check prorated based on the "Last > Date Work...

Hiding Personal Employee Information in Address Book
First off the environment is Exchange 2003 SP1 with Active Directory 2003. Basically... our HR department was granted limited access to AD to fill in user information (Home address, telephone, etc...) and I then modified the default user ACL so that any member of "Group X" in AD was denied access to seeing the above personal information. This worked on the Global Address List as well.... But now there's a problem. We've been setting up users in Cached Mode, and those users are able to see everything. I believe this has to do with the fact that Exchange is generating t...

HR Employee class
Hi I just wanna know how to use Employee class after installing HR. It usually appears in the EMployee maintenance screen, until we activate HR, it disappears. Thanks for your reply ASAP You did not mention Payroll, so I'm going to assume you only have the HR module. The employee class is used to facilitate creating and reporting by employees. -- Charles Allen, MVP "wissam" wrote: > Hi > > I just wanna know how to use Employee class after installing HR. > It usually appears in the EMployee maintenance screen, until we activate HR, > it disappears. >...

Girard Perragaux Seahawk II Stainless Steel Mens Watch 49900-1-11-6146, Best Wristwatch World
Girard Perragaux Seahawk II Stainless Steel Mens Watch 49900-1-11-6146, Best Wristwatch World Click Here To Website : http://www.watchebay.net/Girard-Perragaux-Seahawk-II-Stainless-Steel-Mens-Watch-49900-1-11-6146.html Wristwatch World: http://www.watchebay.net/ Girard Perragaux Seahawk II Stainless Steel Mens Watch 49900-1-11-6146 Information : Brand : Girard Perregaux Watches ( http://www.watchebay.net/Girard-Perregaux-Watches.html ) Gender : Mens Code : girard-perregaux-49900-1-11-6146 Also Called : 49900.1.11.6146, 49900-1-11-6146, 49900/1/11/6146, 49...

Query/Report based on Employee Hire Date
This is probably a very basic thing that I just don't know how to do. I need to pull a report on people hired in December, regardless of year, for performance appraisals. The hire date that I currently have in the database is in the mm/dd/yyyy format. How do I sort on just the Month portion of this. I can then build my reports off of the query. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions. Steve Add a calculated field to the query. Field: Month([Hire Date]) Criteria: 12 That gets everyone ever hired in the month of December. John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005,...

Best practice...
Information: Access2007 Requirement: I have four text box's. The first one I would like to auto fill based on a selection made in another form. Once the auto fill is done, I want the three corresponding box's to auto fill based off of the first box's information. The first box's information is an object, while the three corresponding boxs are the three characteristics of that object. So in one form, that object is selected, then it is autofilled into a box on another form, were I then want it's three characteristics to auto populate. The question: I'm basically lookin...

OWA safest security practices?
Hi, I am wondering how best to secure OWA through the permissions of the various pages. I am already running it in form-based authentication, but I would like to block access to the additional OWA pages unless they're needed. For example, going to 'https://host/OMA' or 'https://host/exadmin' will pop-up a password box instead of re-directing to the form based page (we're not using Mobile Access). Can I deny all access to the OMA, exadmin, and Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync pages so that they won't prompt for a password? I don't want to break anyth...

For graphs how do i put a line of best fit?
I have an assignment that saYS I CAN PUT A LINE OF BEST FIT FOR MY GRAPH AUTOMATICALLY BUT I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO Plot a line graph. Right-click anywhere on the line > Choose "Add TrendLine" then make the options in the dialog .. -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "watevva" wrote: > I have an assignment that saYS I CAN PUT A LINE OF BEST FIT FOR MY GRAPH > AUTOMATICALLY BUT I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:16:02 -0700 from watevva <watevva@discussions.microsoft.com>: > I have an assignment that saYS I CAN PUT...

additional SQL instances/best practices
Hello: Like most firms, we create test databases for clients that contain a copy of the client's live company's data. Someone suggested that we should first create a separate SQL instance, stating that Best Practices maintains that it is best to have a separate instance of GP SQL databases. Does Best Practices really maintain that it is best to have a separate instance as a Great Plains test environment? Also, isn't it much harder to maintain a test environment if the test company is in a separate instance of SQL server? And, if a client does have a separate instance of...

I have an employee who is having problems accessing her documents
I have an employee in another city that has a folder on the server. The server is about 30 miles away, but the problem is that for the past couple days, when she open excel, then goes to open her documents folder, and it takes anywhere from 4 to 5 minutes to open that folder. Anyone have any idea on why and how to fix this problem? Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop, left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped network drives that are not currently available. AdminPhil wrote: > I have an employee in another city that has a folder on the ...

Employee Stock Option
I have alloted 1000 shares from my company at say $10/share. I enter the grant and 200 shares vests every year. All my shares are already vested. Money enters proper transactions if I use ESO as my investment type. But when I try to Exercise and Sell it puts proper value in the total column. But the share value is increased by that much. The vested shares are also included with the market value. Is it supposed to be taken from the vested shares. I am using Money 2003. Please advice me on this issue. The transaction in money looks as follows. Assume market price as of today is $20 Stoc...

Best Practices Analyzer suggestions
When I run BPAT from a workstation, as suggested, I get two extra warnings: Primary DNS failed to respond, and DNS Host Record appears to be missing. On investigation, the DNS Host Record is not missing, and the Primary DNS does not fail to respond. Actually, the problem is that the primary DNS is configured as 127.0.0.1 Since this is not Best Practice, this should have been picked up by the BPAT. If it had been picked up correctly, then the two invalid warnings could have been suppressed. Even if the invalid warnings were not suppressed, if the DNS setting generated a warning, the t...

The Best Instruction books for Publisher 2002?
Help, please!! I need some advise on which books are the most informative and helpful for a novice when learning the "how-to's" for Publisher 2002? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Jills´┐Ż <jillians@hotmail.com>... > I need some advise on which books are the most informative and helpful > for a novice when learning the "how-to's" for Publisher 2002? The first thing I would do is learn about DTP - if you don't properly understand the basics of DTP, then you will not progress very quickly in Publishe...

remove inactive employees based on date inactivated #2
I would like to see Tools > Utilities > Payroll > Remove Inactive Records have a date field so only those employees inactivated prior to the date entered are removed rather than all inactive employees as it now does. Hi Rod, Please enter this good suggestion in https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/productsuggestion. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Rod C" wrote: > I would like to see Tools > Utilities > Payroll > Remove Inactive Records > have a date field so only those employees inactivated p...

Defy Watch, Best Wristwatch
Defy Watch, Best Wristwatch Best Watches World: http://www.watches-world.net/ Zenith Watches World: http://www.watches-world.net/Zenith.html Zenith Defy Watch : http://www.watches-world.net/Defy.html Founded in 1865 by its fastidious owner, Zenith, as its name connotes, represented the pinnacle of watchmaking perfection. Georges Favre- Jacot and his company was one of only a few watchmakers that manufactured complete watches. Morever, he produced these watches using up-to-date machinery and tools that he built himself. Zenith has garnered more than 1,500 international watchmaking awards and c...

sample letter for employee recognition to his boss
I would like to find a letter that I can cut and paste for praising an outstanding employee that added to my customer service level. It needs to be generic in nature so it can be reused from my files for future customer service accoloades that I may experience. desksurfer99 <desksurfer99@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I would like to find a letter that I can cut and paste for praising an > outstanding employee that added to my customer service level. Your employee isn't outstanding enough that he/she deserves his/her own personally-written...

Lookup Function? Employee Number with Employee Name
I have a spreadsheet that I believe that I need some form of LOOKUP function, but have been unable to find the type that I need. I have a column "C" that has an employee number in it. I have created a table on Sheet 2 with the Employee Number and the corresponding Employee Name in that table. I want to have the column "D" on Sheet 1 to automatically fill in the Employee Name based on the Employee Number in column "C". What type of function would this be? and suggestions on syntax? Thanks for the help. =VLOOKUP(c1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) Or for instan...

What is the best way to do this
Once again, I have data that I have exported from Excel. The data is answers to a questionnaire with 27 questions. The answers have number values and correspond to yes, no, n/a and blank. The time period is quarters and there are 30 - 35 departments. For reporting purposes back to each department, I need to show how they have scored on the questionnaire with improvement (or lack of improvement) over time. I would like a graph for each answer possibility because of the amount of questions on the survey. So I would have a separate graph for "yes", "no", etc. ...

Reports to Employee Report
I have a table 'tbl_employees" with the following field: EmployeeID (Primary) Employee Name Email ReportsToEmail .... and other fields that aren't relevant I need to be able to run a query that show ALL employees that report up to a specific person. It is fairly easy to do a report that show who reports directly to a specific person, but I need to find all employees that are in that organization. For example, if a company had the following hierarchy, CEO -VP1 --GM1 ---controller ----asst controller -----staff accountant -----staff accountant -vp2 --...

I need advice on how best to setup laptops for on\off network use...
For whatever reason I've never nailed down a GOOD stratigy for dealing with laptops that are on and off the network... Part 1: The Offline Files utility in XP seems to have various issues that I can't find any resolution for. Mainly that laptops disconnect from the network for no apparent reason. I've tried "Never allow my computer to go offline" in Offline Files\Advanced Settings. I've also tried disabling the power saver mode on the NIC. Both of these have had mixed results. I have been blaming the symptoms on the systems being old, but I have ...

Outlook Anywhere
Hi, I've just got Outlook Anywhere/RPC over HTTPS working, and I've been testing the setup of Outlook. But I seem to be having a few problems. Firstly, I tried just adding the Exchange Proxy settings to my existing profile. This works OK when out of the office, users are asked to authenticate to the PRC proxy, and then Outlook connects, pretty quickly 10 - 20 seconds. However, when in the office, users are still asked to authenticate, I assume Outlook is still trying to connect to the RPC Proxy, rather than going straight to the Exchange server. This is also highlighted because we ru...

how to plot a best fit line?
how do u delete the original line after u added a trendline? If by "the original line" you mean a line that connects the data points, select the data series, and Format|Selected Data Series|Patterns and check "None" under "Line" Jerry trashcan1620 wrote: > how do u delete the original line after u added a trendline? If you delete the series, the trendline will also go away. Double click on the original series, and on the Patterns tab, choose none for the Line style, and if desired, none for Markers. To hide the legend entry, select the legend, then se...