Email system failure on a singlel Exchange 2003 server running Windows 2003 standard having message store issues

Have two servers running Exchange 2003.  FS2 is PDC AND FS3 runs exchange
2003.  We had a power failure and it corrupted the message store.  The
backup was also no good because of a hardware failure.  Using the recovery
storage group process, I was able to  copy the existing edb, and stm files
off the server, create a recovery storage group, move the recovery storage
group files into the primary storage group area and get the users emailing
again, but I have the corrupted message and streaming files and a bunch of
log files.  I ran eseutil /p /r and the files seem to be fine.  Just to jet
their calendar and contact information back, I copied the edb and stm files
to the recovery storage group folder and was able you mount the recovery
storage group.

I am now trying the recover information the recovery storage group to put
back into the users mail boxes.  Tried using the exmerge utility and it
cannot access the information in the files.  Need help with this.  I still
have a copy of the original edb and stm files along with the log files.

Darrell

0
eddy1 (9)

you mounted the store in the RSG?  and cannot run exmerge?  what's the error
you're getting?

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Darrell" <eddy@latech.edu> wrote in message
> Have two servers running Exchange 2003.  FS2 is PDC AND FS3 runs exchange
> 2003.  We had a power failure and it corrupted the message store.  The
> backup was also no good because of a hardware failure.  Using the recovery
> storage group process, I was able to  copy the existing edb, and stm files
> off the server, create a recovery storage group, move the recovery storage
> group files into the primary storage group area and get the users emailing
> again, but I have the corrupted message and streaming files and a bunch of
> log files.  I ran eseutil /p /r and the files seem to be fine.  Just to
> jet their calendar and contact information back, I copied the edb and stm
> files to the recovery storage group folder and was able you mount the
> recovery storage group.
>
> I am now trying the recover information the recovery storage group to put
> back into the users mail boxes.  Tried using the exmerge utility and it
> cannot access the information in the files.  Need help with this.  I still
> have a copy of the original edb and stm files along with the log files.
>
> Darrell

0
sconkey (3059)
2/7/2007 5:38:24 PM
Yes,

I mounted the corrupted store in the RSG.  But I had a thought,  I backed up
the newly created priv1 message store, ran the eseutil again on the
corrupted files, then copied the repaired files back to their original
location without the log files, and mounted the store.  It loaded this time
and it is working.  However, Outlook reports that the server is still in
recovery mode.  I am missing a few days of messages due to the crash.  I
still have the log files on a separate drive.  Can I retrieve any
information from those log fines that may contain any missing data?  How do
I now take the system out of recovery mode?

Darrell

"Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> you mounted the store in the RSG?  and cannot run exmerge?  what's the
> error you're getting?
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Darrell" <eddy@latech.edu> wrote in message
>> Have two servers running Exchange 2003.  FS2 is PDC AND FS3 runs exchange
>> 2003.  We had a power failure and it corrupted the message store.  The
>> backup was also no good because of a hardware failure.  Using the
>> recovery storage group process, I was able to  copy the existing edb, and
>> stm files off the server, create a recovery storage group, move the
>> recovery storage group files into the primary storage group area and get
>> the users emailing again, but I have the corrupted message and streaming
>> files and a bunch of log files.  I ran eseutil /p /r and the files seem
>> to be fine.  Just to jet their calendar and contact information back, I
>> copied the edb and stm files to the recovery storage group folder and was
>> able you mount the recovery storage group.
>>
>> I am now trying the recover information the recovery storage group to put
>> back into the users mail boxes.  Tried using the exmerge utility and it
>> cannot access the information in the files.  Need help with this.  I
>> still have a copy of the original edb and stm files along with the log
>> files.
>>
>> Darrell

0
eddy1 (9)
2/8/2007 2:57:27 PM
did you run eseutil /p?   that nearly always results in data loss...only way
to recover that data would be to use the correct database, and try to force
a replay of those log files...or, you might try to use something like
Quest's Recovery Manager for Exchange...as for recovery mode, have you tried
configuring a new Outlook profile?

--

> Yes,
>
> I mounted the corrupted store in the RSG.  But I had a thought,  I backed
> up the newly created priv1 message store, ran the eseutil again on the
> corrupted files, then copied the repaired files back to their original
> location without the log files, and mounted the store.  It loaded this
> time and it is working.  However, Outlook reports that the server is still
> in recovery mode.  I am missing a few days of messages due to the crash.
> I still have the log files on a separate drive.  Can I retrieve any
> information from those log fines that may contain any missing data?  How
> do I now take the system out of recovery mode?
>
> Darrell
>

> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> you mounted the store in the RSG?  and cannot run exmerge?  what's the
>> error you're getting?
>>
>> --
>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>

>> "Darrell" <eddy@latech.edu> wrote in message
>>> Have two servers running Exchange 2003.  FS2 is PDC AND FS3 runs
>>> exchange 2003.  We had a power failure and it corrupted the message
>>> store.  The backup was also no good because of a hardware failure.
>>> Using the recovery storage group process, I was able to  copy the
>>> existing edb, and stm files off the server, create a recovery storage
>>> group, move the recovery storage group files into the primary storage
>>> group area and get the users emailing again, but I have the corrupted
>>> message and streaming files and a bunch of log files.  I ran eseutil /p
>>> /r and the files seem to be fine.  Just to jet their calendar and
>>> contact information back, I copied the edb and stm files to the recovery
>>> storage group folder and was able you mount the recovery storage group.
>>>
>>> I am now trying the recover information the recovery storage group to
>>> put back into the users mail boxes.  Tried using the exmerge utility and
>>> it cannot access the information in the files.  Need help with this.  I
>>> still have a copy of the original edb and stm files along with the log
>>> files.
>>>
>>> Darrell

0
sconkey (3059)
2/8/2007 3:27:51 PM
I first ran /r then /p with no luck.  I later thought that it might have
been from a lab chk file.  But still no luck at the time.  After three days
of no email, I decided to try what I mentioned below.  The users are just
glad to have the mail running again.  I am now reevaluating my disaster
recovery plan.  It is a small shop and can't afford much stuff, but I will
do what I can

Thanks for the suggestions, and if you know of a good doc that helps a
novice build a good maintenance, and disaster recovery plan, please send me
the link.

D.

> did you run eseutil /p?   that nearly always results in data loss...only
> way to recover that data would be to use the correct database, and try to
> force a replay of those log files...or, you might try to use something
> like Quest's Recovery Manager for Exchange...as for recovery mode, have
> you tried configuring a new Outlook profile?
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Darrell" <eddy@latech.edu> wrote in message
>> Yes,
>>
>> I mounted the corrupted store in the RSG.  But I had a thought,  I backed
>> up the newly created priv1 message store, ran the eseutil again on the
>> corrupted files, then copied the repaired files back to their original
>> location without the log files, and mounted the store.  It loaded this
>> time and it is working.  However, Outlook reports that the server is
>> still in recovery mode.  I am missing a few days of messages due to the
>> crash. I still have the log files on a separate drive.  Can I retrieve
>> any information from those log fines that may contain any missing data?
>> How do I now take the system out of recovery mode?
>>
>> Darrell
>>

>> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> you mounted the store in the RSG?  and cannot run exmerge?  what's the
>>> error you're getting?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>>

>>> "Darrell" <eddy@latech.edu> wrote in message

0
eddy1 (9)
2/8/2007 4:37:47 PM
here's a link to the whitepaper:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867704/en-us

--

>I first ran /r then /p with no luck.  I later thought that it might have
>been from a lab chk file.  But still no luck at the time.  After three days
>of no email, I decided to try what I mentioned below.  The users are just
>glad to have the mail running again.  I am now reevaluating my disaster
>recovery plan.  It is a small shop and can't afford much stuff, but I will
>do what I can
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, and if you know of a good doc that helps a
> novice build a good maintenance, and disaster recovery plan, please send
> me the link.
>
> D.
>

> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> did you run eseutil /p?   that nearly always results in data loss...only
>> way to recover that data would be to use the correct database, and try to
>> force a replay of those log files...or, you might try to use something
>> like Quest's Recovery Manager for Exchange...as for recovery mode, have
>> you tried configuring a new Outlook profile?
>>
>> --
>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>

>> "Darrell" <eddy@latech.edu> wrote in message
>>> Yes,
>>>
>>> I mounted the corrupted store in the RSG.  But I had a thought,  I
>>> backed up the newly created priv1 message store, ran the eseutil again
>>> on the corrupted files, then copied the repaired files back to their
>>> original location without the log files, and mounted the store.  It
>>> loaded this time and it is working.  However, Outlook reports that the
>>> server is still in recovery mode.  I am missing a few days of messages
>>> due to the crash. I still have the log files on a separate drive.  Can I
>>> retrieve any information from those log fines that may contain any
>>> missing data? How do I now take the system out of recovery mode?
>>>
>>> Darrell
>>>

>>> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message

0
sconkey (3059)

Can Recieve email but cannot send out
For Outlook 2003, cannot send out. Have internet connection, and can receive emails. I have tried disabling firewall and Norton, but no luck. Any suggestions? are you getting any kind of error back? "Mark Sanford" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cc5901c43909$3916a210$a301280a@phx.gbl... > For Outlook 2003, cannot send out. Have internet > connection, and can receive emails. I have tried > disabling firewall and Norton, but no luck. Any > suggestions? "Mark Sanford" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Folder size difference between local and server
Hi, When I open Microsoft Outlook, and look at the folder size of the mailbox, it has two tabs. One is local data, and the other is server data. Why are they different? I have a user that has the inbox at 75Mb for local data and 89Mb for server data. That big difference is enough that sometimes he starts getting the limit warnings and if he is gone home for the night but still receiving e-mails, his mailbox stops receiving. 14Mb makes a difference. How can I get them to be the same, or to reduce the server data? Thanks in advance! ...

windows can't check for updates
i had windows automatic downlad ,but the last 2 weeks i get a message saying it can't downlad updates and when i do it manually i get this code ...80072EFD.how can this be corrected .i have not changes any setting in my firewall as it saids when i chek on the erroe. Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than...

outlook email questionaire
I want to send an email to clients that has a questionaire on it with text answers. I want them to be able to answer the questions and then click a button at the bottom of the page that will send it directly to my email without them having to enter my address. How do I do this? Well, i's possible to do what you want (mail a form to someone that's editable on the receiving end and runs code to send mail when done) but is not easy. Check out www. outlookcode.com for some ideas on how to approach this. If you are not using an exchange server, I'd recommend using Form Regions...

Can't forward to an external email address...
We have a user that uses his external AOL account as well as his company email account. He has asked me to forward all company mail to his external AOL account. I figured I'd be able to just go into the delivery options on the "Exchange General" tab for his user profile and forward to the appropriate address. However, you cannot enter just any address in there, it forces you to select an address from the directory - of course his AOL address is not there. Is there an easy way to forward all mail from his internal account to an external account? I tried creating a rule on his Out...

Email
I have created a simple Access database that our HR department will use to input demographic information on a new employee, as well as what software, access, etc. a new employee will need. Again, it is VERY simple, but what I can't figure out is how to create a button that the HR staff can click on and the file, with all the information, is emailed to our IS department. Can this be done? You can setup a report to based on your current record and email it using SendObject or using Outlook automation. This does require a minimal amount of VBA programming in either case. If you sear...

HELP: Lost all my old emails
Hello, First there was the power failure. Then there was Windows XP recovery program (that ran automatically). Now, my desktop is blown away and all my Outlook emails and contacts are gone. Could these files be lurking in some obscure directory? Don't say search for dbx files. My computer doesn't have any. I'm running Windows XP media edition. Regards and thanks. do a search for pst files. or you can try .pab files for your personal address book. If those arent there.. You might be screwed! I save my pst files on my server where they are backed up.. for just this re...

Outlook, NT Exchange 4.5, VPN, Domain..... Can't make it all work. PLZ help, will reward.
Really stuck with the Outlook� Situation: NT SBS 4.5 server. 6 machines connected to it on a domain. All suck internet through a LAN broadband router. Server used to be configured on a modem dial-up and emails worked fine. Now with this new ADSL setup (new provider) emails get stuck on despatch. Finding the SMTP server configuration has been a task I didn't manage. Can anyone help? I can only find the SMTP settings for the administrator on the server but that is of no use� I found a setting where all mail is forwarded to an internet based server but no place for a password or login. The...

New essay: Projects that build under VS.NET 2003/2005
It finally happened. Someone needs a project that builds under VS.NET 2005 (they want the ease of the 64-bit integration) and VS.NET 2003 (for all their old 32-bit developers). I wrangled with the problems for a bit, and came up with a kludge that actually works (clumsy though it is, alas). But to save anyone else the time taken to figure it out, the results of my experiment are documented on http://www.flounder.com/vs2325.htm joe Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm ...

View & Edit the source HTML code in 2003.
I just upgraded from express to 2003, and I am not happy because the feature I use the most is gone. While composing a new message using Express there are three tabs at the bottom of the window “Edit” “Source” and “Preview”. I want to be able to change the Source HTML code using Outlook 2003. I have search the message board for an answer and was unable to find one. I have the message type set to HTML, but when I insert HTML tags in the message they do not do anything. I can’t find a separate HTML view, and I don’t want to use “Insert >> picture” or “Insert >> Hyperlink” every ...

message size limit #2
What is the default message size limit and where do I go to change it. I have a user that is trying to send an 11m file and can not due to the size limitation. I have tried to set the user to be able to send up to 20m but no luck. Thanks ...

email addresses in memory
An outlook 2003 user states that when sending out an email and when they type in a letter in the "to" area the email addresses that were in memory when you type a letter or name are gone. They said they didn't do anything different. The addresses are in the contact list but there is nothing in memory so you have to type the whole address in. Is this possible or can address in memory be deleted or removed? They are stored in the *.nk2 file located in Docs&Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook (by default) You dont have to type the address in, just click the &...

sbs 2003 exchange
im trying to setup outlook web access but having issues. I ran the configure internet wizard thing and checked the boxes for outlook web and such for access but when i go to http:\\servername.domainname.com\exchange or domainname.com\exchange my hosting company pops up and says domain is parked. what am i doing wrong? Thanks Joe You need to use your internal server name. Once it is working, you need your ISP to set up an A record to your Exchange server. "Johnny Dagger" <JohnnyDagger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:984E6032-7701-4B44-9684-4A90FE8A79B...

what functions can return all window handlers in the system?
Can anyone tell me the easier way to find all the window handlers in the system? You mean handles, don't you? If so, use EnumWindows and EnumChildWindows. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "paul388" <paul388@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:67627A35-082F-431E-B598-5061BC906992@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me the easier way to find all the window handlers in the > system? "paul388" <paul388@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:67627A35-082F-431E-B598-5061BC906992@...

Korean email
I can type and send Korean characters in emails but cannot receive them in Outlook 2003. Any help? ...

Exchange 2003 mailbox permissions being reset
I have seen many posts on this same problem with no real answer, hopefully somebody out there has found a solution. I add "send as" rights to a mailbox for a user other than the owner of the mailbox (or full access, make no difference) and it works fine for a short while, then when less than an hour goes by (not sure exactly how long), the user that was added in the permissions tab is missing and obviously the send as ability is gone. I have tried adding the user on the Security tab, then also hitting the advanced button and adding it there (per ms kB#327000). The user that I'...

Unlinking tracked emails in CRM 3.0
I find that once an email is linked to/tracked by CRM (Customer, Client, Activity) it can't be unlinked! only deleted. For example; A client uses an old CRM generated email containing the tracking token to ask about a new problem. CRM automatically tracks the new email to the old CRM case and I can't untrack it to link it to a new case. Any information would be helpful... Hi, Check out "How to "untrack" Microsoft CRM Outlook e-mails" on following blog http://blog.sonomapartners.com/ -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post was helpful or not for ou...

Instant search of emails (10,000) fails
Failure of instant search requires reboot befor resolving for search or two and again fails ...

Connecting to Exchange 5.5 with Outlook 2003
I have recently had to rebuild an Exchange 5.5 server due to a raid array crash. I have the server up and operational but I have several users that have the Outlook 2003 client installed than can no longer get into their accounts. It worked prior to the crash. The OS is windows 2000 server with all SP's and Exchange 5.5 with all SP's. The user get the error "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The exchange server is not available." I have verified that the RPC binding in the Client PC and on the Server is set for RPC over TCP/IP. Any help is great! Ron Have you t...

Excel 2003 #29
I have calculated cells formatted for Currency w/ 2 decimal places// when print they have 15 decimal places // I've tried standard formatting Number & Accounting and they also print 15 decimal places when formatted for 2 decimal places // how can this be corrected so when cell formatted for 2 decimal places it will print 2 decimal places ? This is not standard excel behavior. Are you sure you changed the number format? Any chance you have some kind of macro that changes the numberformat before you print? Martins wrote: > > I have calculated cells formatted for Currency w...

How to 'see' and 'remove' windows system files ??
How to 'see' and 'remove' windows system files ?? Over the years (yes that long) i have fitted new bigger drives to the pc .. by simply using drive copy , ghost that sort of thing, and booted from the new drive with the old one running as second drive So I now have c as the main , d the second partition and e & f of the old drive ..some of the files and dowloads are still usefull on the older drive so dont want to simply format it .. but could do with removing the un wanted windows system files .. dlls etc Any links to a ...

outlook express outgoing email disappears
I use Windows98 SE and Outlook Express6. Sometimes and with different addressees when I send an email it is received by the addressee ok but it is not in my sent items folder so I have no record of it! It does not happen every time -- perhaps about 1 in 6. I'M probably overlooking the obvious. Suggestions welcome. i suggest the outlook express newsgroup -Gary "Sean Dunne" <dunnes@iol.ie> wrote in message news:128d001c3f72d$d457f8f0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I use Windows98 SE and Outlook Express6. Sometimes and > with different addressees when I send an email it...

How do I Full screen an Email???
I looking for a way to look at an email that I receive in a full screen mode. The way I'm trying to see it is like I was in I.E. and pressed the f11 key or if I was in Word or Excel & used the Alt+V+U function for full screen. What I am trying to see just the heart of the email not the header or anything else but the email body Craig <cb3_3@hotmail.com> wrote: > I looking for a way to look at an email that I receive in > a full screen mode. The way I'm trying to see it is like > I was in I.E. and pressed the f11 key or if I was in > Word or Excel & us...

Office 2003 Beta version
I have the Office 2003 Beta version which has expired. Does anyone know if I can just installed the Office 2003 upgrade or do I have to buy the whole friggin' application suite? You can find the upgrade requirements here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/howtobuy/standard.mspx#XSLTs ection127121120120 In article <9A063B69-A41D-437F-A1E4-3F9A78049013@microsoft.com>, Bildmk <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have the Office 2003 Beta version which has expired. Does anyone know if I > can just installed the Office 2003 upgrade or do I have to ...

Outlook 2003 OAB Offline Address Book
Platform: Windows XP SP2 Outlook 2003 Exchange 2007 SP1 We originally thought the offline address book was not updating however this is not the case. It seems as if there are multiple “domain.com all” address under the All Address Lists and only one of them are updating against the GAL. I have tried deleting the *.oab files to have the address book rebuilt without sucess. Any thoughts how to remove the “domain.com all” that is not updating? Thanks Chris Hi, this newsgroup is for Office for Mac. Please repost your question in a newsgroup that deals with Office for Windows; while th...