Email going to wrong user

I have a few users who are getting email not addressed to them.  For example
JDoe@mydomain.com is receiving email that has a bogus username  in the "To:"
field (email2000@mydomain.com).

Does any expert out there have a suggestion as to how this is possible or
how it can be blocked?

Thanks,

Andy

0
andrewmay (6)

On Fri, 20 May 2005 09:25:54 -0600, "Joseph Teller"
<andrewmay@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a few users who are getting email not addressed to them.  For example
>JDoe@mydomain.com is receiving email that has a bogus username  in the "To:"
>field (email2000@mydomain.com).
>
>Does any expert out there have a suggestion as to how this is possible or
>how it can be blocked?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andy

Welcome to the wonderful world of SMTP.
Do you have an anti-spam solution?

0
adavid (8731)
5/20/2005 3:37:12 PM
It is actually going to the right place if he is receiving it.
email2000@mydomain.com is a distribution list that jdoe and probably some
others are members of. What are you using to filter your SPAM?

"Joseph Teller" <andrewmay@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a few users who are getting email not addressed to them.  For
>example JDoe@mydomain.com is receiving email that has a bogus username  in
>the "To:" field (email2000@mydomain.com).
>
> Does any expert out there have a suggestion as to how this is possible or
> how it can be blocked?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

0
allen2494 (55)
5/20/2005 4:03:56 PM
Thanks for the answers. I'm currently using the latest version of
SpamAssassin and also Trend's ScanMail EManager as a filter. They do a bang
up job but miss a ton of the German Spam generated by the Sober Variants.

When you say that email2000 is a valid distribution list, where would that
be listed in AD?

Thanks,

Andy

"AllenM" <allen@majaro.com> wrote in message
> It is actually going to the right place if he is receiving it.
> email2000@mydomain.com is a distribution list that jdoe and probably some
> others are members of. What are you using to filter your SPAM?
>

> "Joseph Teller" <andrewmay@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a few users who are getting email not addressed to them.  For
>>example JDoe@mydomain.com is receiving email that has a bogus username  in
>>the "To:" field (email2000@mydomain.com).
>>
>> Does any expert out there have a suggestion as to how this is possible or
>> how it can be blocked?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andy

0
andrewmay (6)
5/23/2005 2:34:52 PM
"Joseph Teller" <andrewmay@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the answers. I'm currently using the latest version of
>SpamAssassin and also Trend's ScanMail EManager as a filter. They do a bang
>up job but miss a ton of the German Spam generated by the Sober Variants.

There are only 30 different subject lines. You can pretty easily tune
up spamassassin to deal with them.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

I was using the German email as an example, and should have stated that.  My
actual question is:  How does email addressed to one person get to another
one of my users.

I've checked all the email header information and although it is addressed
to UserA@mydomain.com it is being delivered to UserB@mydomain.com.  How is
this accomplished?

--Andy

> "Joseph Teller" <andrewmay@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the answers. I'm currently using the latest version of
>>SpamAssassin and also Trend's ScanMail EManager as a filter. They do a
>>bang
>>up job but miss a ton of the German Spam generated by the Sober Variants.
>
> There are only 30 different subject lines. You can pretty easily tune
> up spamassassin to deal with them.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

andrewmay (6)
5/24/2005 3:01:15 PM
bcc...this information will not appear in the header information...

> Thanks Rich -
>
> I was using the German email as an example, and should have stated that.
My
> actual question is:  How does email addressed to one person get to another
> one of my users.
>
> I've checked all the email header information and although it is addressed
> to UserA@mydomain.com it is being delivered to UserB@mydomain.com.  How is
> this accomplished?
>
> --Andy
>

> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> > "Joseph Teller" <andrewmay@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Thanks for the answers. I'm currently using the latest version of
> >>SpamAssassin and also Trend's ScanMail EManager as a filter. They do a
> >>bang
> >>up job but miss a ton of the German Spam generated by the Sober
Variants.

> > There are only 30 different subject lines. You can pretty easily tune
> > up spamassassin to deal with them.
> >
> > --
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

0
sconkey (3059)
5/24/2005 3:23:28 PM
"Joseph Teller" <andrewmay@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I was using the German email as an example, and should have stated that.

Yes, you should have. But a spam filter missing junk mail has little
to do with mail being delivered to "wrong" addresses.

>My
>actual question is:  How does email addressed to one person get to another
>one of my users.
>
>I've checked all the email header information and although it is addressed
>to UserA@mydomain.com it is being delivered to UserB@mydomain.com.  How is
>this accomplished?

Read RFC2821. Then read RFC2822.

Try this on your server (assuming it'll let you relay):

HELO
MAIL FROM:<Nasty.McSpammer@bogus.domain.net>
RCPT TO:<andrewmay@hotmail.com>
DATA
To: You - maybe
From: Santa Claus
Subject: Who sent this mail?

And how did it get in MY mailbox?
..

>--Andy
>

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
>> "Joseph Teller" <andrewmay@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the answers. I'm currently using the latest version of
>>>SpamAssassin and also Trend's ScanMail EManager as a filter. They do a
>>>bang
>>>up job but miss a ton of the German Spam generated by the Sober Variants.
>>
>> There are only 30 different subject lines. You can pretty easily tune
>> up spamassassin to deal with them.
>>
>> --
>> Rich Matheisen
>> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
richnews (7316)

Mailboxes show different user than owner
In System Manager in the mailboxes pane the mailboxes show users other than the owner of the mailbox has having logged on to the mailbox. It looks like this: Mailbox Last logged on by Size Items Bob Jones OURDOMAIN\Fred Bloggs Does anyone know why this happens? Rhys That could be number of reasons, including antivirus scanning mailboxes, people accessing one another's schedule or even ligitimately accessing other mailboxes. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;867640 Bobba77 wrote: > In System...

Creating a NEW Global address list for my users.
Hello, First of all I would like to mention that this is on Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 Environment. This is what I am trying to do. I have close to 100 users that I am hosting there mail on my server. Those 100 users belong to 3 Different companies. I do not want them to see the address list of other ppl outside there company so I did the following: 1. Open ESM 2. On the default global address list under the Authenticated User I clicked DENY on List contents also made sure that Everyone is also on Deny. 3. Then I created a new Global Address List. Which I used the Description field whi...

newline char wrong!
What stick do I hit VC++ v6.0 with in order to get the newline to equal CRLF? I'm running on a W2K machine... I thought that would be enough, but *no*.... project is a pretty simple dialog-based MFC app, creates a text file for making a ShopBot do a little dance. #define \n \n\r didn't work... pissed me off. __ Steve .. That define will not work because \n needs to be embedded within a character or string constant and macros are not replaced within string constants. Although posting the code you are using might be more helpful than getting pissed off. DOS and Windows use carriage...

Outgoing email gone after submitted to categorizer?
Hi there, We enabled "out of office assistant" to send auto-reply. Internal users all OK, external users got problem. Found that for those auto-replied emails, after submitted to categorizer, they just gone & disappeared. Using ESM to trace the email, it said date,time,SMTP:Store Driver: Message submitted from store date,time,SMTP:Message submitted to Advanced Queuing date,time,SMTP:Started message sbumission to advanced queue date,time,SMTP:Message submitted to Categorizer (all entries with same date & time) From application events, there is no entry at that particular ...

Emailing EFT's from Novell GroupWise
Does anyone know of a third party that will allow us to email EFT's when the client uses Groupwise? FYI - Groupwise is mapi compliant. I thought the latest version of GW worked with GP. If not, I think your best solution is to install Outlook 2003 and connect it to GW. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Kate Brennan" wrote: > Does anyone know of a third party that will allow us to email EFT's when the > client uses Groupwise? FYI - Groupwise is mapi compliant. We are looking for a third party that will mass email EFT's from GP. Again, email program is GroupWise. So ...

Publisher 2003 Send as email function
When I send as e-mail, I am loosing resolution and if the recipient forwards the e-mail, there are a host of formating issues like text boxes move, the logo is sliced in half. Any suggestions, please I am ready to chuck the computer! -- lyn There are many variable when directly sending a pub doc as an e-mail, what e-mail client you use, what one the recipient uses, whether or not the recipient can receive HTML, Rich Text, or text only messages, size limitation on messages, etc. Can you just send as an attachment or does the recipient not have Publisher? (and if not, can y...

GUID in CRM is Wrong
We have CRM installed, and have done extensive customizations to it. Audit Trails, Escalation Engine, Advanced Search, Quick Cases etc.... Having some issues in regard to the EMAILS that are sent from within CRM. The Subject line is being populated in MOST instances with a GUID that does not appear to relate to anything at all. When a customer therefore responds it is not tracked by the router (or created in CRM) - I am guessing because the when the activity is being created, it fails because it cannot associate (fill in the regarding field) to the correct (or even a valid object). This is...

How do I print pictures imbedded in an email
I have several emails with pictures in the mail itself. When I go to print, the message prints, but the picture comes out as a box with a RED X in the upper left hand corner. How can I print the picture also? ...

Linking data files and email accounts
Outlook 2003 SP2 I have one POP3 account, that is currently attached to the personal folders PST, and a hotmail POP3, which is attached to the hotmail PST. I want to add my GMail account and link it to a seperate PST rather than dump it in the combine it with my other POP3 account that is using my personal folders PST. I have created the PST, using the Data File utility, and created the account. Any ideas other than Mail Rule forwarding to the newly created data file? Not until OL2007 which does what you want without rules <ulukia.zero@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1155179555.6661...

Hide buttons not needed in user interface
I would like to be able to hide the sales, contracts, and other icons in workplace if not in use. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=83576c07-2698-433d-8c82-0...

Passing command line arguements -Whats wrong with this code and can anyone help me out
Whats wrong with this code and can anyone help me out Created a win32 console application and passed a command line arguements like C:\CMDLINE\DEBU\cmdline.exe one Now my program should print ---one So in the program this is the code I wrote but IT FAILED.The screen disappears in a flash.Pls help .Thanks in advance ---------------PROGRAM---------------------------------------- int _tmain(int argc, TCHAR* argv[], TCHAR* envp[]) { int nRetCode = 0; cout <<" in main "; // initialize MFC and print and error on failure if (!AfxWinInit(::GetModuleHandle(NULL), NULL, ::GetComm...

mcafee blocking email
My ISP says my internet connection is working fine although I get a message that I am unable to send or receive. It seems to be tied to McAfee updates - and I'm getting no emails at all! Help! Any ideas? A couple of things to try: 1. Disable McAfee completely. 2. Try configuring Outlook Express and see if that works - Outlook could be corrupt. Ty >-----Original Message----- >My ISP says my internet connection is working fine >although I get a message that I am unable to send or >receive. It seems to be tied to McAfee updates - and I'm >getting no emails...

Export Emails...How?
Hello, I have a bunch of emails from my customers that need to be exported to be imported onto another computer....Can I do this?? I have all of the emails that I need to export in one folder.... thx Mike .. Okay, this is pretty easy if you are using Outlook 2002 (XP), I don't know for sure about other versions but I think its close to the same process. Click (in the folder list) to highlight the mail folder in the to be exported. Then click on "File" (menu tool bar), then choose "import and export". The export wizard will open. Then pick the top one; "e...

Word As email editor "R17;"
Using outlook 2003, with word 2003 as the email editor, when someone has typed an apostrophe in their email eg. "We've", when the email is received, the email shows the word as "WeR17;ve". If you switch off word as your email editor this stops happening. I havent found anything regarding this in the support area. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Matt In Outlook single quote (') get replaced by R17 Does anyone know a solution for thi Thanks What message encoding are you using? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep t...

Error 3197 single user database
I've looked through previous answer to this problem but cannot find one that works. I've had the usual message relating to this: The jet database engine stopped because you and another user are attempting to the same data at the same time. I'm using Access 2003 with Windows XP I've tried opening holding the shift key down. I've tried importing into another blank database but get the same error and message. I've tried using the repair database function but also get the same error and message . I think the problem may have ocurred because of a Power failure. I'...

Changing sent from email address
My outlook email account displays the wrong address in sent messages. This means that replies keep getting sent back to sender. Can't find how to change to display correct email address. Type of email account? Have you looked in tools, accounts? It's usually entered in the acct settings. Note that a few ISPs will force the usage of the address assigned to the account logging in - preventing you from using a different address to send using their server. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlo...

Exch Server 2003 External Email Addresses
This is probably the most basic of questions and the easiest to answer - except if like me you have just had your Exch 5.5 replaced with Exch 2003 and have only the installation CD. How/where do you enter addresses for external email recipients???? In 5.5 it was straight forward - make up a Custom Recipient. But I cannot find out how to do it in this "modern version". I've even searched here, google and MS but either I'm using the wrong criteria or its too basic to have been asked........ Any advice please, to retain my sanity Cheers Stan Just go into Active Directory ...

how to change the registry settings of another user
Hi, As part of a semi automatic installation and setup of a host I would like to create one administrator account and one ore more (non administrator) user accounts (without passwords) Then I would like to start a script as administrator and change some global and some user specific registry entries. I have problems to modify the settings of another user whle being administrator. The registry entries don't exist). It seems I had to load some 'hive' to be able to access somebody else's registry I did my first tests not with C#, but with python and_winre...

Email Tracking 06-12-07
We're having problems with inbound email not tracking in CRM. I've verified out setup based on the implementation guide (install location, server side rule, users set to accept all unsolicited emails, etc...) and inbound emails don't get tracked in CRM. We have tracking tokens off. When I log into the CRM mailbox, the majority (99%) of the emails forwarded end up in unresolved. Anyone else having problems with inbound email tracking? Anyone actually have inbound email tracking working? Hi, We had a problem similar to this and found that for some reason things weren'...

Doppelte Email ?
Ich bekomme ab und zu gleich 2 x die selber email zugeschickt,hat da jemand eine L�sung was das sein kann ?? Danke im voraus Matthas ...

how to stop duplicates emails?
Hello All .. I am using ms outlook 2003 and a web server like mail.live.com. I have configured my pop3 and smtp accounts in the outlook. I got emails of different sizes. As i have a slow connection and i got stucked when i receive more than a 5 mb email. Now here the problem occurs. Suppose i have a 10 un-readed email in my email on the server. No 5th email has a 5 mb capacity. When i press send and receive button in ms outlook then it dowloads first 4 emails and get stucked in the remaining emails. Then I try to get all the emails. But when i do so the downloaded emails again downlo...

Emails stuck in Queue folder under Exchange, do not send
Hi I got a weird problem that I can't figure out. I have instances that sent emails do not reach their destination, both emails sent to internal clients and external clients, sent from both internal and external also (i.e.: internal - internal, internal - external, external - internal). Now I noticed that the emails which do not get through are all showing up in the queue folder under "Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue". I look at the message tracking and ALL of these emails only have 2 entries: a. SMTP: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing b. SMTP: Started Messag...

Forward email as insert from button
Hi all, I usually code in Access, so am familiar with VBA, but have a request to code a button to forward the open item (button is on the email item, not on the Outlook toolbar) to forward the item as if a new email had been created, and the open item had been inserted from the Inbox list. I have placed the button and coded a simple forward, but no luck otherwise. I have searched the Object Browser and have not come up with anything obvious. Thanks for you help What's the difference between what you want to do and simply pressing the Forward button on an open em...

email settings
I have copied pst file from one laptop to another (both 2002). Doesn't matter how much I read, I can't figure out how to get the email accounts over. Help. In news:1DC05BFE-0CE3-436E-AD63-73A06E019B9A@microsoft.com, MonB <MonB@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I have copied pst file from one laptop to another (both 2002). > Doesn't matter how much I read, I can't figure out how to get the > email accounts over. Help. You can't easily do this, not without playing in the registry, I believe. I usually just recreate the accounts. The file & setti...