E2K3 Storage Groups

What are advantages, and more importantly, disadvantages to using multiple
Storage Groups.  I have heard that having more then 2 SG's creates extra CPU
load, is this true?  The only benefit I see so far is logical separation for
use in exchange manager, and that you can point translogs and system path to
different locations, if you had different physical drives, I could see this
as a benefit.

I have a situation where I'd like to do the following
-Storage Group for local users
  - Multiple stores with different store policies
-Storage Group for remote users
 - Multiple stores with different store policies

The actual stores have the same policies in each storage group, 4 different
policies in total. I do not HAVE to separate into the 2 storage groups, it
just makes logical sense to do it.  But if there's some disadvantages, I
need to know about them before I set this up.

FYI - All SG/Stores are on the same physical storage disk.
Thanks

0
ask6924 (19)

You've summarized it well, except that the load of multiple SG's is more on
the memory than on the CPU.

The main reasons to do separate SG's would be, like you said, to have
separate logs, and also to allow for simultaneous backups/restores.  Within
a single SG, only one database can be backed up or restored at a time.

You've also got the option of doing multiple databases within one SG, which
would make your restore time faster, because if you need to restore one
mailbox, you won't need to restore an all-encompassing database.

Either way, with separate SG's or separate DB's, you have the ability in the
future to assign separate policies to each.

Now, as for your comment that "FYI - All SG/Stores are on the same physical
storage disk."... PLEASE tell me that you meant a RAID array, not a single
disk.  Also please tell me that you are putting the logs onto their own
separate spindles.

--
David Sapery
Exchange MVP

"Evan Mann" <ask@for.it> wrote in message
> What are advantages, and more importantly, disadvantages to using multiple
> Storage Groups.  I have heard that having more then 2 SG's creates extra
CPU
> load, is this true?  The only benefit I see so far is logical separation
for
> use in exchange manager, and that you can point translogs and system path
> different locations, if you had different physical drives, I could see
this
> as a benefit.
>
> I have a situation where I'd like to do the following
> -Storage Group for local users
>   - Multiple stores with different store policies
> -Storage Group for remote users
>  - Multiple stores with different store policies
>
> The actual stores have the same policies in each storage group, 4
different
> policies in total. I do not HAVE to separate into the 2 storage groups, it
> just makes logical sense to do it.  But if there's some disadvantages, I
> need to know about them before I set this up.
>
> FYI - All SG/Stores are on the same physical storage disk.
> Thanks

0
dsapery (18)

Group Footer
This is probably really easy but I'm having brain freeze. I have the following information: Title, 4", 8", Class STD1 1 1 STD STD2 2 2 STD JWW1 3 3 JWW JWW2 2 2 JWW I need a report that shows Title 4" 8" STD1 1 1 STD2 2 2 STD Total 3 3 JWW1 3 3 JWW2 2 2 JWW Total 5 5 Total 8 8 I can't for the life of me figure out how to print STD Total or JWW Total. I've set up a group footer on class but it prints between each class. ...

Reporting Groups
I have a very simple report based on a calendar database. The report contains the date, start time, end time, appointment type and comments. I need to order the report by date descending. Not a problem. What I would like to do is to build a section at the end of the report summarizing the hours and number of entries for each appointment type. For example: Appointment Summary: Doctor Visit 24 hours Occurrances: 12 Hospitilization 72 hours Occurrance: 1 Lab Visit 5 hours Occurrance: 9 Is this possible? Can someone please point me to a resource I can use to bui...

E2K3 Forestprep question
Hello, I'm preparing to start my "swing" migration from E2K to E2K3. Because students will be back in a week, I'd like to get the ForestPrep/Domainprep steps done now, even though I won't be starting the actual migration (first E2K3 server install) for about a month. In reading what I can find on the E2K to E2K3 migration it appears that running ForestPrep and DomainPrep in my site won't cause me any problems except that ForestPrep will lock down Top level PF creation (which is already locked down) and likely remove the permissions I have added for 'backup...

Query-Based Distribution Groups #2
I'm looking to create an LDAP query in Exchange 2003 that will show domain users that are currently logged on. This will allow me to create an email distribution group that contains only people who are in the office at that moment. Surely this must be possible as the query is searching Active Directory, but I've not been able to find a "logged on" attribute and I've trawled the web and newsgroups for answers but found nothing ... if anyone knows how to do this, I'd be very grateful of your help! Thanks, Rob "Robert Stokes" <rob@robertstokes.net...

configuring news groups in exchange 5.5
Hi can anyone help me in configuring news group in exchange5.5? I am not sure whether exchange5.5 will support this or not? kindly help me... thanks gajanan Are you talking about distribution groups? "gajanan" <gmpai2003@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message news:1024901c43f1b$f53cdcd0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > > can anyone help me in configuring news group in > exchange5.5? > > I am not sure whether exchange5.5 will support this or not? > kindly help me... > > thanks > gajanan ...

SharePoint Security Groups
Why when i create a top level site with then created 2 child sites does the security from 1 child site carry over to the 2nd child site even though i told each site to use unique permissions? Ex: On child site 1 i create a group called SharePoint Guru and give it full control on site 1. I then go over to Site 2 and look in it's permissions and that group is listed there but the permissions on it says none. I don't understand why it would carry over to site 2 like that. If I delete the "SharePoint Guru" group from Site 2 it also deletes it in Site 1 I am runn...

E2K3: System Manager Public Folder Admin authentication dialogues
I am in the process of moving from an Exchange 2000 server to 2003. The 2003 server is up and running and part of my clients are on the new box. I used the PFMigrate tool to add replicas of the eixsting E2K public folders to the E2K3 server and it's working great. However, when I go to adminster the public folders (for replication settings, etc) in System Manager on the E2K3 server, it prompts me for authentication on each and every subfolder :-( My authentication is valid and works - but it always prompts me for it. If I Choose "Connect to:" and select the E2K server ins...

No more BadMail after applying E2K3 SP1?
After applying Exchange 2003 SP1 to one of our gateway servers, I observe 24 hours later that there are no messages in BadMail. Not usually something I'd complain about, but it is unusual. Prior to applying the service pack, I cleaned up this directory. There were almost half million entries there, testimony to the fact that we ordinarily get a thousand BadMail entries a day typically. The directory was so large that I had to use command line del *.* to accomplish the task. The directory itself appears to be fine and I can create files there without problem. The server is routing message...

grouping the numbers as per indian method
sir, i wnt to group number as follow for, 1234567891213456.75 as 1,23,45,67,891,2,13,456.75 (i.e. indian method of grouping pg numbers) how can i do it for any digit of numbers You can use below format for only positive no. upto 99,99,99,999.99 [>=10000000]##\,##\,##\,##0.00; [>=100000]##\,##\,##0.00;##,##0.00 You may download my addins "Indain Rupees.xla" from below site. With this you can format No as Indian Number System & also convert No. in to words as per Indian Lac format. Regards, Shailesh Shah http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/ (Excel Add-...

2003 Administrative Group
Good Morning, I migrated our 5.5 org to a 2003 ORG. The method I used was I joined a 2003 server to the 5.5 Site. Moved all users to the exchange 03 box that is in the 5.5 site. Decommissioned the 5.5 server and moved the Org to native mode. Installed a new Exchange 2003 server into a new administrative group. Moved all mailboxes from the Exchange 03 box in the old 5.5 site/03 Admin Group to the new Exchange 03 box in the new admin group. Both times moved system and public folders. My problem: In Active Directory Users and Computers on the Exchange Advanced Tab of users the Administrative g...

PFMigrate error when attempting to migrate PF from 5.5 to E2k3
All, When we run PFMigrate from our Exchange 2003 server we get an error right away saying: Invalid Paramater '<servername>' The server name does have a dash in it like this: it-server-name any help would be great!! fasteddie After following syntax EXACTLY we got it to work... thanks, Fasteddie "FastEddie" <fasteddie[a]therockwells[dot]net[dot]no[dot]spam> wrote in message news:OjyqXCwAFHA.608@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > All, > > When we run PFMigrate from our Exchange 2003 server we get an error right > away saying: > > Invalid Par...

Using Fill command in Editing Group
Hi, I am trying to find more info on how to use the functions on the Fill Command in the Editing group especially regarding dates as I cannot seem to get this to work. I know how to fill using the drag handle but would also like to use the fill command. If anyone can guide me to a site which discusses this command that would be good. Thanks See http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-fill-handle.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Caz" <Caz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0ABB15BD-FEC6-47FC-9986-8B78369AB78E@microsoft.com....

Restrict inbound Internet email to a group of users on Exchange 20
What is the easiest way to restrict a large group of users from receiving email from non-authenticated users. I know there is a checkbox setting that allows me to configure this on a per user basis, but how do I change this for 1000 users at one time. Our company policies have recently changed, and managemnt wants most users to only be able to send and receive emails from authenticated users. I already have the send portion configured using a connector, but how do I do restrict receiving? Thanks. Create a new Recipient Policy and assign them email addresses for an internal or non-...

Mailbox Policy Storage error
Hi There: I am in the process of migrating a mailboxes on an Exchange 5.5 Sp4 server to an Exchange 2003 server within the same site using ADC. After migrating the users mailboxes to the Exchange 2003 server, I find that when I try to apply a mailbox storage policy to my storage group, the Exchange 2003 server object cannot be found. Can anyone shed some light on this mystery? Thanks. Max ...

help about outlook storage
hi i have problem with the storage amount on the server i am working on : its only 300 Mb and i am receiving more than 300 mb sure then i have to remove some of the mails to make it able to receive more mails so there is another way to transfer this incoming mails to another folder on the hard disk and not into another folder in the outlook ?? or even another program to save incoming msgs from out look to another place on the hard disk.??. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Is this an Exchange mailbox? You don't mention what type of account you have. If you are connecting...

Exchange Distribution Groups
I have a real stupid question. I just builded an Exchange 2003 server and populated it with user accounts and created mailboxes, how do I create a allusers group that everyone could send e-mail to. And also I want that everytime a new user is created it falls under this alluser distrbution group. I kind of have an idea how to create it in Ad but not sure what the correct process is. Thanks Amador You can either use query-based DLs or just create an "All Users" group, add the existing accounts to it, and then when you want to create a new user, copy an existing user. Amador Gome...

Managing E2K3 from my workstation
Hi, I know that I can manage our Exchange Server 2003 from my XP Pro client. Where can I get the necessary tools for this? -- Thanks, Sam Install Exchange System Manager from the Exchange CD "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3982475B-22B0-4F25-ABF8-A142D9570661@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I know that I can manage our Exchange Server 2003 from my XP Pro client. > Where can I get the necessary tools for this? > -- > Thanks, > > Sam You might also want to check on this link. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815529/en-us...

Which news group is about converting excel to xml?
I want to know which news group is about the tecnologies of converting excel to xml? Thanks for help! ...

Storage Folder 04-01-10
In Windows 7 Windows Live Male there is a Folder named Storage Folder. On one of my computers it doesnt show. How do I correct this ? View | Layout | Folder Pane. Check: Show Storage Folders. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Storage Folder" <Storage Folder @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DFACBF97-DBD4-4631-BCCB-29BE01161356@microsoft.com... > In Windows 7 Windows Live Male there is a Folder named Storage Folder. > > On one of my computers it doesnt show. > > How do I correct thi...

SP2 E2K3
I am getting ready to install SP2 for E2K3 ENT on a W2K3 ENT SP1. I am looking at post and article to research possible issues with installing SP2. I came across a couple that have me worry. One post stated that hotfix, 8798060, is require to install SP2. Another, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 may stop responding when you enable the Sender ID Filtering setting on a Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) virtual server in Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2). How should I prepare the server to install the SP2 and does it require a reboot? Install the required hotfixes...

Group Month/Year?
Hello, I have a list of articles where each one has a created date. How can I get a list of Month/Year where there is articles published? Thanks, Miguel shapper wrote: > Hello, > > I have a list of articles where each one has a created date. > How can I get a list of Month/Year where there is articles published? Assuming you're using LINQ, I would use the "group by" syntax. ...

Rehome Public Folders from one E2K3 to another E2K3 server
Hi We have just installed a new Windows Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 and we need to move all the data fra the old server running Exchange 2003, but we are having some problems. We can easily move each users mailbox but we can't get it to move the Public Folders. The new server is part of the same domain as the original E2K3 server. All the documentation we have found on this subject informs us that we should do the following: 1. Right click the first Public Folder and select Properties. 2. Select the Replication tab. 3. Add the server where the Public Folders should be moved to. 4...

UK Exchange Server User Group
Hi I am in the process of setting up a user group for UK-based Exchange Server professionals. We are aiming to have a kick off event at the beginning of July (Just after Tech-Ed Europe). In order to ensure that the group covers what you want it to cover, I would appreciate it if you could take the time to complete a quick survey. The survey can be found at http://randomelements.me.uk/UK%20Exchange%20Users%20Group/Lists/User%20Survey/NewForm.aspx and shouldnt take longer than 10 minutes to complete. Look forward to seeing you all at the first event Regards --------------------------------...

Minimum Group Membership
What is the minimum group membership that a user has to have to be able to use POP3 and OWA on 2003Ex over 2003AD? If it is Domain Users, can I deny them any rights like "log on locally" via GP without killing them? Thanks, Harry Bates Domain Users. No, not unless you override the settings for the Exchange and Exchange/OWA servers. Bob "Harry Bates" <harry@-NOSPAM-rocksystems.-NOSPAM-net> wrote in message news:O$LkNMHcFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > What is the minimum group membership that a user has to have to be able to > use POP3 and OWA on 20...

Mailbox not re-enabled after increasing mailbox storage limits.
There is a mailbox which exceeded its sorage limits last week. By mistake on Friday last I set the limits to around 200 KB instead of 200MB On discovering the mistake today, I have now set the mailbox limits to much bigger figures around 600 Mb upwards, but nothing I can do seems to make Exchange pay any attention to the new figures. It is still rejecting emails to the account despite having manually run Mailbox Cleanup agent and Mailbox management process. I even tried dismount and mount of the mailbox store. Why why why, are these new limits not having any effect? What do I need to d...