E2k3 OWA - can't view smtp address of messages from hidden users

Users have begun reporting a problem - from OWA they cannot reveal the smtp
address of messages they receive from other Exchange users that have their
accounts hidden from the GAL.  They are able to reply to the messages, but
if you try to switch to a cc or bcc it fails.  From other clients (Outlook,
POP, IMAP) it works fine - they can see the SMTP address.  Is there a
solution to this, it's quite annoying?  I suspect this has happened after
the latest patches, but can't be certain.

-GT

0
nospam327 (48)

I suspect this is happening because of the way OWA queries the GAL (other
clients use LDAP or MAPI).  I'm not sure why it would work from LDAP
clients, though.

Out of curiousity, why do you have users whose accounts are hidden from the
GAL sending to a wide distribution of users?

________
Jim McBee
Exchange 2007 U.S. Road Show
http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2007/03/exchange-2007-roadshow-tour.html

"GT" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> Users have begun reporting a problem - from OWA they cannot reveal the
> smtp address of messages they receive from other Exchange users that have
> their accounts hidden from the GAL.  They are able to reply to the
> messages, but if you try to switch to a cc or bcc it fails.  From other
> clients (Outlook, POP, IMAP) it works fine - they can see the SMTP
> address.  Is there a solution to this, it's quite annoying?  I suspect
> this has happened after the latest patches, but can't be certain.
>
> -GT

0
jmcbee9404 (625)
3/17/2007 10:22:02 PM
We're a university and we have both staff & students on Exchange.  There are
privacy laws that prevent us from publishing student info without their
permission (which includes email addresses), so the GAL is opt-in for them.
Most have not bothered to opt-in, so this is a pretty big problem for us.
We've been running with students for about 2 years and have only just
received a complaint, so I assume this is a new bug.

-GT
"Jim McBee (MVP - Exchange)" <jmcbee@cta.spambegone.net> wrote in message
>I suspect this is happening because of the way OWA queries the GAL (other
>clients use LDAP or MAPI).  I'm not sure why it would work from LDAP
>clients, though.
>
> Out of curiousity, why do you have users whose accounts are hidden from
> the GAL sending to a wide distribution of users?
>
> ________
> Jim McBee
> Exchange 2007 U.S. Road Show
> http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2007/03/exchange-2007-roadshow-tour.html
>

> "GT" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
>> Users have begun reporting a problem - from OWA they cannot reveal the
>> smtp address of messages they receive from other Exchange users that have
>> their accounts hidden from the GAL.  They are able to reply to the
>> messages, but if you try to switch to a cc or bcc it fails.  From other
>> clients (Outlook, POP, IMAP) it works fine - they can see the SMTP
>> address.  Is there a solution to this, it's quite annoying?  I suspect
>> this has happened after the latest patches, but can't be certain.
>>
>> -GT

0
GT

E2K3 Forestprep question
Hello, I'm preparing to start my "swing" migration from E2K to E2K3. Because students will be back in a week, I'd like to get the ForestPrep/Domainprep steps done now, even though I won't be starting the actual migration (first E2K3 server install) for about a month. In reading what I can find on the E2K to E2K3 migration it appears that running ForestPrep and DomainPrep in my site won't cause me any problems except that ForestPrep will lock down Top level PF creation (which is already locked down) and likely remove the permissions I have added for 'backup...

why can't I send an email to my own address?
I can't send myself an email to and from the same address. Also even though I am on a Distribution List that I send out, it doesn't deliver the message back to me. It does send it to everyone else. Schatzie;110209 Wrote: > I can't send myself an email to and from the same address. Also even > though > I am on a Distribution List that I send out, it doesn't deliver the > message > back to me. It does send it to everyone else. What type of account and what mail service? -- Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] -- tillman1952 http://forums.sl...

Disable certain fields depending upon the user role
Hello, I'd like to disable fields & buttons depending the role the user belongs to i.e. fields would still be visible but they won't be editable by certain users. Is it possible? Can it be done without creating a totally new form and by editing one of the existing forms? Microsoft CRM 1.2 does not support field level security. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Community/CRMFaqLanding.aspx "Ambuj" <Ambuj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB94745B-BC61-46E3-A40D-0EDE09EA3452@microsoft.com... &g...

Viewing running ntbackup
I have a scheduled ntbackup job that's running far too long. Is there a way to get the status window while it's running so I can see what's it hanging on? yaro "yaro137" <yaro137@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:32dacbc7-a59a-4fe7-b111-f6410492e459@l2g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... >I have a scheduled ntbackup job that's running far too long. Is there > a way to get the status window while it's running so I can see what's > it hanging on? > yaro Only if you started the job in a foreground session under the same account as ...

Message Box 06-21-07
Hello again, I'd like to prompt my users with a " are you sure you want to delete" message. ...or somethings along those lines when they attempt to delete a record. I've never doen a pop up message before so any help will be greatly apprichiated!!! Thanks in advance!! -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200706/1 If MsgBox("Are you sure you want to delete", vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Confirm Delete") = vbYes Then ' Do the delete Else ' Don't Do the Delete ...

configure forward email with auto reply message from server
I have a employee that left today. Since this user worked in a remote location I need to turn on forwarding of her emails to her super. I did this from the exchange 2003 server. What I cannot figure out is how can I also add a auto reply message from server? I would like to do this and control this fromt he server and not have to log in as her and setup an email account and use the out of office assistance. How can I forward mail and send an auto reply message from the server? Out of Office Assistant? You may have to configure this to work over the internet, and should consider th...

OWA on a separate box
I am running exchange 2003 and OWA on the same system. I would like to run OWA on a separate server and place that server on the DMZ. I don't see an easy way of installing Outlook Web Access onto another server. Any Ideas? "Nick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am running exchange 2003 and OWA on the same system. I would like to run OWA on a separate server >and place that server on the DMZ. I don't see an easy way of installing Outlook Web Access onto another server. Any Ideas? Do not put a server in the DMZ. By all means get an ISA serv...

PFMigrate error when attempting to migrate PF from 5.5 to E2k3
All, When we run PFMigrate from our Exchange 2003 server we get an error right away saying: Invalid Paramater '<servername>' The server name does have a dash in it like this: it-server-name any help would be great!! fasteddie After following syntax EXACTLY we got it to work... thanks, Fasteddie "FastEddie" <fasteddie[a]therockwells[dot]net[dot]no[dot]spam> wrote in message news:OjyqXCwAFHA.608@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > All, > > When we run PFMigrate from our Exchange 2003 server we get an error right > away saying: > > Invalid Par...

Message linking
Hi, I've a database that's linked to the Inbox of my Outlook,Is there a way to create a button that once i click on it opens the message itself from the Outlook? Regards ...

Customizing OWA screen
Is there a way to customize the OWA screen when users login? i would like to have the login come up with the company logo there. The logon screen is just an ASP page so can be customized. Read this article: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Customizing-OWA-2003-Forms-Based-Authentication-Logon.html Nue "ghutnick" <ghutnick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B146A469-D3DC-47CE-A66E-1A73207EE3DB@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to customize the OWA screen when users login? i would like > to > have the login come up with the company logo there. ...

Can Money be shared (network) between two users??
In microsoft.public.money, Laura wrote: ><nada> http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q111 Also look up "synchronize" in Help. ...

OWA and ZIP
We are on Exchange 2003 SP2. We have a few users that cannot attach or open ZIP files with OWA from their machine. They get the "page cannot be displayed" error. Howerver, they can open and attach ZIP files with other applications. They can also open the same attachement using Yahoo, Hotmail, and GMail. The same ZIP files can be opened from other machines just fine. Has anybody seem this behavior before? thanks for the help Kevin See if you have zip files being blocked. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555001&Product=exch2003 James Chong MCSE M+...

S/MIME for OWA 2000
Hi, I'd like to invite you to take part in beta testing of OWA 2000 plugin that adds S/MIME capability to this exchange client. The plugin adds S/MIME functionality to OWA on the client side ( no server-side modifications) If anybody would be interested in reviewing the plugin, please download it from https://beta.cryptigo.com/products.php?product=strixes Thanks Vizvary Istvan III Cryptigo ...

how do i edit my general address
I want to edit my own address under the general tab in outlook. Cannot figure out how to accomplish this. Help, please. be228 <be228@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to edit my own address under the general tab in outlook. Cannot >figure out how to accomplish this. Help, please. WHAT "general tab"? ...

OWA & Outlook Disagree
When viewing "All Day" events added to my calendar via Outlook from OWA, the events "spill over" into the day following the end of the event. The only way to correct this in OWA is to change the event from an "All Day" event to an appointment that starts at 12AM and ends and 11:59PM. Also, after viewing an email folder in OWA, Outlook will show this folder with the "Show In Groups" setting turned on. If I turn it off in Outlook and then view the folder again in OWA, the "Show In Groups" setting is back on in Outlook. How can I get Out...

Help
I have about 1500 entries from alleged tiawan addresses. My queue is flooded and I need a quick way to remove these attampts. I would also like some advice as to how to prevent this (we have relaying prohibited but that doesnt prevent someone from trying and filling up the queue) . In any case any help is appreciated! Rice What type of messages are they? Are they NDR's being generated by your server (sender of < > or administrator)? Are you referring to the outbound SMPT queues? If it is just NDR's being generated, it shouldn't be a huge issue, as the remote dom...

E2K3: System Manager Public Folder Admin authentication dialogues
I am in the process of moving from an Exchange 2000 server to 2003. The 2003 server is up and running and part of my clients are on the new box. I used the PFMigrate tool to add replicas of the eixsting E2K public folders to the E2K3 server and it's working great. However, when I go to adminster the public folders (for replication settings, etc) in System Manager on the E2K3 server, it prompts me for authentication on each and every subfolder :-( My authentication is valid and works - but it always prompts me for it. If I Choose "Connect to:" and select the E2K server ins...

total appointments allowed to enter in all day events month view
i can enter 8 or 9 appointments but can only view 7 when i print the calendar That's normal. Try a word template or a utility - information at http://slipstick.me/calprint -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM New Poll: What type of email account is your main account? htt...

Auto delete messages in public folders?
We have a public folder that is supposed to be a 3 day repository for all our emails (using built in Exchange 2003 journaling). Problem is that the messages do not get deleted after 3 days. They just sit there. Seems my age limits on this folder are ignored. We also have another folder that handles all our 'kick back messages' that one is ignored as well. We are running Exchange 2003, sp2, with all the latest patches. Anyone have any ideas? On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:45:55 -0500, "Dan J.S." <smeski@gmail.com> wrote: >We have a public folder that is supposed to ...

No more BadMail after applying E2K3 SP1?
After applying Exchange 2003 SP1 to one of our gateway servers, I observe 24 hours later that there are no messages in BadMail. Not usually something I'd complain about, but it is unusual. Prior to applying the service pack, I cleaned up this directory. There were almost half million entries there, testimony to the fact that we ordinarily get a thousand BadMail entries a day typically. The directory was so large that I had to use command line del *.* to accomplish the task. The directory itself appears to be fine and I can create files there without problem. The server is routing message...

E-mail header "New message
One POP3 user reports receiving e-mails from a Corporate user with headers on e-mails as "New message - Arabic (Windows). The message is readable but why it will show that header. Please help. Thanks, Miriam ...

Managing E2K3 from my workstation
Hi, I know that I can manage our Exchange Server 2003 from my XP Pro client. Where can I get the necessary tools for this? -- Thanks, Sam Install Exchange System Manager from the Exchange CD "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3982475B-22B0-4F25-ABF8-A142D9570661@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I know that I can manage our Exchange Server 2003 from my XP Pro client. > Where can I get the necessary tools for this? > -- > Thanks, > > Sam You might also want to check on this link. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815529/en-us...

OWA free/busy publishing
Hi all. By default, OWA publishes 3 (I think) months of free/busy information. Is it possible to change this value? I realize that changing it here would probably change it for *all* OWA users but that's fine; the problem we run into is when someone is set to publish, say, 12 months of free/busy on their Outlook client then updates their calendar through OWA and suddenly people are only seeing 3 months worth of free/busy. Thanks! ...

Recover lost messages in send receive
I had a user logon to exchange this moring via a pop account. His send / receive window said downloading message 1 of 160. He left this running and returned later to find the process had completed, I am told there were no error messages, but there is no sign of the messages at the client. Also the messages have been cleared from his exchange inbox. Is there any way of recovering / undelete'ing messages pop'ed from exchange ? Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I had a user logon to exchange this moring via a pop account. His send / >receive window said dow...

OWA 2003
One of my users is getting an error message with spell check in Outlook Web Access 2003. The message "the spelling in this item can not be checked at this time" appears and the only option is to proceed without running spell check. ...